Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

legal union in modern society: different angle - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / legal union in modern society: different angle (790 Views)

'Rape & Beg': UnilagOlodo Who Was Accused Of Rape Takes Legal Action (Photos) / 21 Modern Dating Etiquettes For Guys / Do Modern Day Nigerian Ladies Prefer This Wooing Method? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

legal union in modern society: different angle by solbil: 4:45pm On Oct 24, 2015
When a young man or woman reaches a certain age in most societies, that individual is expected to begin to think about marriage. But what is marriage,
really? Has it always been here with the human being? Is the feeling to get married inherent in us? What form should it always
take? These are some of the questions i will be giving my opinion on.

What is Marriage?

Before i go on, i would like to say that this write up is completely my opinion and is very subjective.
For me, Marriage is actually society's WISE way of managing itself. It is society's way of saying "we understand you have to fall
in love; we understand you want to have sex and have babies, but because of certain things, please do all of that within a particular kind of setting we will call
Marriage". We can also say that marriage is the continuation of a relationship after some formal ceremony has been done. Has marriage always been with us?
I believe the society evolved marriage over time. For those who believe in the bible, God said in Genesis 2:18 "...i will make a
companion for him". He did not say: "i will make a WIFE for him", there is a difference. We are the ones who later called her WIFE.
And if you read on into the stories of Cain and Abel and how Cain went on to reproduce, there was no mention of marriage- a relationship between opposite
sexes after a formal ceremony has been done. The human being was just going about his normal activities, falling in love, out of love, having sex and making babies. Along the line, the disadvantages of that started becoming overwhelming and the
society thought it wise to restrict human behaviour and sexuality within marriage.

Is the feeling to get married inherent in us?

One of the concerns people raise when you tell them you don't want to get married or that you might never get married is
loneliness. But the truth is...what causes loneliness sometimes, is not the fact that we are not married. It’s the fact we are not
with someone with whom we share heart, whether we are married to the person or not. What we feel for not being married is not loneliness but worry. We are worried about how the society will see us or that the person we are with would just leave someday. Also, we are concerned about late parenthood or our biological clock. I think the society has to understand it
already that not everyone will get married at the time or will ever get married at all. This is not a statement of pessimism or lack of faith. Some find their right partner earlier than the others. There
is no reason anyone should begin to take desperate measures to get married when they clock a certain age. People who are 'ripe for marriage' are told to put themselves out there more in order to find a partner. But for me, that's a wrong approach and should be disregarded. You can meet that person right in the course of your normal activities. Infact, "putting yourself out there more", can make you
want to settle for just anything that comes.

If loneliness is the problem, please know that getting into marriage or anyrelationship for that matter, won't solve it. If you are bothered about your biological clock or about late parenthood, then you
may want to have your child now, by one of the many fair ways that exist, then you can take the rest of your life to look for love. Who says by the time you eventually find it, other people will be more fulfilled than you? And who says at 80, you still wouldn't be
admired by some people anymore? Haven't you seen people in their 80s get married?
What makes us think we, who got married decades earlier, are more fulfilled?

Yes, you don't have to be married to have a child. If you are religious and think your body is the temple of the spirit, then you might want it artificially. I do not think God
should be worried about that.

I encourage us to think outside of the box.
Re: legal union in modern society: different angle by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 24, 2015
cheesy
Re: legal union in modern society: different angle by solbil: 5:19pm On Oct 24, 2015
Jollyjoy:
cheesy
what's up?
Re: legal union in modern society: different angle by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 24, 2015
solbil:
what's up?
wink
Re: legal union in modern society: different angle by solbil: 2:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
Jollyjoy:
wink
you no serious! Something do you for mout wey you no fit talk?
Re: legal union in modern society: different angle by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
solbil:
you no serious! Something do you for mout wey you no fit talk?
cheesy :Dna by force
Re: legal union in modern society: different angle by solbil: 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2015
Jollyjoy:
cheesy :Dna by force
sorry, pls. Sometimes, i don't get that wat te emoticons mean

(1) (Reply)

I Am In A Dilemma / Things U Probably Didn't Knw Abt INTROVERTS / ‘i’m Dying In Silence, Heard My Husband Got A Second Wife’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.