Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy (31917 Views)

Access Bank Raises $158m From 13 International Banks / Fidelity Bank Raises International Spend Limit On Naira Cards / World Bank Raises 2016 Oil Price Forecast To $41 Per Barrel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Guyman02: 10:10am On Oct 28, 2015
Lobbish! Even Benin Republic that shut down during the Fuel pump price increase protest is ranked higher than Nigeria. The President of Benin Republic begged the NLC to call off the strike or his country will collapse and World Bank is here talking nonsense. The time when we listen to WB and IMF is gone when we have internet and know what is going on in Greece, Portugal and most of Europe with dwindling economies.

Corrupt World Bank that it is taking eternity to produce a report about Abacha loot can dictate to us.
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Bonuwa: 10:13am On Oct 28, 2015
If u like rank us a million position is non of our biz snail is doing his job slow n steady grin
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by engrolawei: 10:21am On Oct 28, 2015
PassingShot:
It's not a surprise to read news like this. It is what we've known about our country/economy. It is a result of what we did and failed to do in the sixteen years of poor governance largely brought on our nation by OBJ and GEJ.

We hope that this will change within the next few years of this new administration.

Why not borrow sense?

When will you get over the loss of GEJ's presidency?
Stop that lie of yours. The Economy during GEJ's Government was the best in Africa. I thouth by now, one dollar would be at least 20 naira.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by denko(m): 10:24am On Oct 28, 2015
Bro you are now in Gvt deal with it, stop referring to Gej he has move on for your information. You promised heaven on earth when campaigning, reminding you abt your promises you resort to blackmail and violennce.
PassingShot:
It's not a surprise to read news like this. It is what we've known about our country/economy. It is a result of what we did and failed to do in the sixteen years of poor governance largely brought on our nation by OBJ and GEJ.

We hope that this will change within the next few years of this new administration.

Why not borrow sense?

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by PassingShot(m): 10:24am On Oct 28, 2015
engrolawei:

Stop that lie of yours. The Economy during GEJ's Government was the best in Africa. I thouth by now, one dollar would be at least 20 naira.
I don't discuss with babies who have this type of opinion. My sincere apologies.
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by 400billionman: 10:26am On Oct 28, 2015
JayRise:
hmm...Buhari where art thy ministers? This nation needs to move forward CC : OBJ, JAGABAN

MUST READ
5 types of men every woman should avoid(love messages)

I will reveal my ministers in September.

Ministers are noisemakers. .... Buhari 2015.

October has finished this week. That is the kind of person they elected as President.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by richard870(m): 10:27am On Oct 28, 2015
Fynestboi:
ranks nation 169th globally

Mauritius, Uganda, Benin, Senegal among best

Despite sustained efforts by the federal government to improve Nigeria’s business environment, indications showed that most of the efforts had not impacted positively on the nation’s business climate with its ranking at the 169th position among the 189 countries assessed on economic reforms implementation.

The ‘Doing Business 2016: Measuring Regulatory Quality and Efficiency’ report published yesterday by the World Bank showed that Nigeria moved just a point higher than the 2015 position of 170th in the global rankings.

The country also scored poorly in Distance to Frontier assessment index, scoring 44.69 per cent in 2016 as against the 43.56 per cent in 2015.

During the period under review, the country was reported to have carried out two reforms more than it did last year.

Of the 35 countries covered by the report in Sub-Saharan Africa, Nigeria came 25th, with Mauritius, Uganda, Kenya, Mauritania, Benin and Senegal ranking among the top best improvers.

The World Bank Group’s annual ease of doing business measurement indicated that Sub-Saharan Africa economies continued to implement reforms to improve the business climate for domestic entrepreneurs, with members of the Organisation for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa, OHADA, particularly active during the past year.

According to the report, out of the 69 reforms carried out in 35 economies in Sub-Saharan Africa, 14 of the OHADA’s 17 member countries implemented 29 reforms.

This is even as the report showed that reforms implemented in Sub-Saharan Africa accounted for about 30 per cent of the 231 reforms implemented worldwide during the past year.

The Breton Woods institution disclosed further that the region also boasted half of the world’s top 10 improvers, that is, countries that implemented at least three reforms and moved up on the global rankings scale.

Amongst the improvers in the continent are Uganda, Kenya, Mauritania, Benin and Senegal.

The report noted further that the region stood out in implementing reforms under the Getting Credit indicator, adding that of the 32 reforms made globally, 14 were carried out in Sub-Saharan Africa, with Kenya and Uganda making significant progress.

Commenting on the report findings, Rita Ramalho, Manager of the Doing Business project, noted that “despite great improvements, governments in Sub-Saharan Africa will need to continue working on closing the gap in many key areas that impact the ease of doing business, especially increasing access to reliable electricity and providing effective commercial dispute resolution – two areas where the region scores the lowest globally.”

Clarifying further, the bank reported that on Getting Electricity, it required an average of 130 days for an entrepreneur to get a new electricity connection and, once connected, customers experience frequent outages lasting almost 700 hours per year, thereby making Sub-Saharan Africa the region with the highest duration of outages globally.

This is even as the region was also ranked poorly in the areas of Trading Across Borders and Registering Property.

At the continental level, Mauritius was reported to rank best in the region, with a global ranking of 32, performing particularly well in the areas of Paying Taxes and Enforcing Contracts.

It takes only 152 hours for entrepreneurs to pay taxes in the country, compared to 261 hours globally.

The bank stated further: “Rwanda has the next best ranking in the region, with a global ranking of 62. Rwanda also implemented the highest number of reforms in the region, with six reforms carried out in the past year. The country ranks second in the world on the Getting Credit indicator and 12th in the world on the Registering Property indicator.

“Ten years ago, an entrepreneur in Rwanda took 370 days to transfer property. Now, it takes 32 days which is less than in Germany. Botswana, with a global ranking of 72, South Africa

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/world-bank-raises-alarm-over-nigerias-economy/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique
Absolute bunkum!
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by 400billionman: 10:31am On Oct 28, 2015
steph2sweet:
We are in for a rough ride with mumuhadu buhari.

His body odour is in charge.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Originalsly: 10:32am On Oct 28, 2015
Weren't these the same people that earlier this year made such a positive forecast on the economy ?
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by thundafire: 10:34am On Oct 28, 2015
tell President Buhari dat one he thinks na him smelling body language go change dy tides wen he dy appoint aboki man wer knw nothing abt governance only rearing cows i wonder y dint the british encourage dy north 2 be cattle rearers cs dats dier profession nd separate dem 4rm dy other part of dy countries ''i cnt stay comfortable without my cows''
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by 400billionman: 10:35am On Oct 28, 2015
philips70:
When Ngozi, Emefiele and co were busy deceiving Jonathan and Nigerians this is exactly where we have been even till this moment.

For how long will you continue blaming someone who is resting in his house since 5 months ago ?

How much does blame game earn you. ?

Blame Buhari, he is ur president who promised to fix Boko in 2 months, make naira equal to dollar and share N5,000 to you.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by PassingShot(m): 10:37am On Oct 28, 2015
denko:
Bro you are now in Gvt deal with it, stop referring to Gej he has move on for your information. You promised heaven on earth when campaigning, reminding you abt your promises you resort to blackmail and violennce.
Ket me lecture you a bit:

1. The report is the outcome of painstaking investigation of at least 2 to 3 years which compares current indices with past ones. It's not a report of just five months ago.

2. Only the gullible and ignorants and illiterates will not consider the past to appraise and appreciate the present. I am not one of those.

3. Buhari's regime cannot be judged in five months. Common sense should tell anyone to hold back such judgement till appropriate time (a year at least).

4. And going by what we're seeing so far, PMB will outshine all past leaders in the last sixteen years put together.

So, deal with these facts.
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Onegai(f): 10:40am On Oct 28, 2015
speedyGonzales:

Insecurity and lack of constant electricity... if we could resolve those two issues, big companies will be trooping to set-up shops in Nigeria.

the federal government should tackle the two issues, instead of shouting corruption up and down the whole place... the Nigerian police and justice system is a failure that is why the is corruption. tackle get a better better police and justice system and introduce new polices that check corruption.

IF I WERE A PRESIDENT TODAY, I will declare emergency on power generation and security of lives and property, for the federal government to tackle and I will ask state government to focus on large scale agriculture development forget other things they are doing at the moment (except maybe Lagos)... (i.e states should build silos and cold storage facilities hooked up to solar panels that the rent out at subsidised rate to large scale farmers in Nigeria, also ensure each local government have access to mechanised farming equipments that rented out at a subsidized rate, then adding value to those food produce i.e large factories and plants that can package those products.). states who fail to show a tangible agricultural produce by 6 to 8 months will see the FG allocations slashed and given to states more willing to comply. in no time we will be feed the whole on Nigeria and West Africa.

I will also remove subsidy and give free malaria and typhoid treatments to all Nigerians. (so you will register at the nearest approved clinic in your area and go in there with you Nigerian ID card for treatment of typhoid and malaria for free).

For other projects that doesn't fall in my focus area's I will seek foreign investors, like build a train network to across Nigeria, build seaport on every major coastline in Nigeria and creating inland water ways and canals for transport as and alternative to rails.

Try and run for a political post. I'd vote for you and Heaven knows we need people with your thinking skills running the country. We cannot keep having good ideas on social media and leaving the greedy, foolish, small-minded and selfish to run the government.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by 400billionman: 10:44am On Oct 28, 2015
IAMTHEHERO:
Will the APC e-robots accept the facts? Well they are not human beings. It will be clear to everyone when Buhari has plunged the country into the Atlantic Ocean.

Buhari is " MR KNOW IT ALL "..

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Pavarottii(m): 10:44am On Oct 28, 2015
coldsummer:
we know. God just saved Nigeria that Jonathan did not return as a president. The country would have been broke and economy crashed now.

Let us give PMB a chance to put the country back on the right track. What we are facing now was done be GEJ and co. believe it or not.

BTW, when will the international guys start returning our loot?
I pity U! Wat GEJ achieved can never be achived by Buhari in the economy sector.
1) Making us the largest economy in Africa.
2) World Economic Forum held in West Africa for the first time and not only was it held there, it was held in Nigeria.
3) Nigeria was 3rd fastest growing economy in the world after China and quatar.
4) Nigeria got into the JP Morgan investmest list.
Just to list a few in the economy Sector.
DONT BLAME GEJ for BUHARI's woes.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Herrmes: 10:47am On Oct 28, 2015
Nothing to see here, even with the next 10 presidents of Nigeria, there would be no change, I'mma just chill and watch the whole show.
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by buchilino(m): 10:49am On Oct 28, 2015
PassingShot:

Why not borrow sense?

UNTIL U STOP BEING SENTIMENTAL 2 EVERYTHING, U WILL NEVA C D REALLY ISSUES OR ASK D NECESSARY QUESTIONS

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by stanech: 10:53am On Oct 28, 2015
Someone once said that the reason Obama failed was because he always assume to be the smartest guy in the room.

The same way buhari called his ministers noice makers before their appointment. For someone that had F9 in economics in 1950s in his fake result to doll out economic policies in this 21st century. I loose hope.

Nigeria is finished
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by buchilino(m): 10:58am On Oct 28, 2015
Pavarottii:

I pity U! Wat GEJ achieved can never be achived by Buhari in the economy sector.
1) Making us the largest economy in Africa.
2) World Economic Forum held in West Africa for the first time and not only was it held there, it was held in Nigeria.
3) Nigeria was 3rd fastest growing economy in the world after China and quatar.
4) Nigeria got into the JP Morgan investmest list.
Just to list a few in the economy Sector.
DONT BLAME GEJ for BUHARI's woes.

ASK HIM OR HER DIS QUESTION. WAT IS D ECONOMIC AGENDA OF PMB. SO FAR NOTHING, INVESTORS DON'T NO WAT DIRECTION (ECONOMICALLY) NIGERIA IS GOING. MORE N MORE PPLE R BEING LAID OFF IN THEIR PLACE OF WORK. WE R BACK 2 D DARK AGES AGAIN (NO ELECTRICITY). ALL HEAR IS APC VS PDP, SARAKI VS BUHARI, ELECTION TRIBUNALS ETC, D LIST IS ENDLESS. AT LEAST I HAVE SOMETHING DAT FEEDS ME N MY FAMILY, UNLIKE MILLIONS OUT THERE

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Ndeewonu: 11:02am On Oct 28, 2015
coldsummer:
we know. God just saved Nigeria that Jonathan did not return as a president. The country would have been broke and economy crashed now.

Let us give PMB a chance to put the country back on the right track. What we are facing now was done be GEJ and co. believe it or not.

You cannot give you do not have. A secondary school dropout/illiterate will always behave and lead as such. Nothing specular can come out of him.

All over, Nigeria is going down: from job losses, to death (over 5,000 through "ragtag" Boko Haram in less than six months; record 222 in Saudi Arabia), Fulani cattle rustlers bastards, to over N1.5 trillion loss in the capital market, to sports, to increased armed robbery all over including Lagos, the economy generally.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Justinah4real(f): 11:02am On Oct 28, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
And a useless president said abacha didn't steal money. Omoale ni PMB.
Where is the N1 to 1dollar promised by baba one chance
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Justinah4real(f): 11:05am On Oct 28, 2015
400billionman:

For how long will you continue blaming someone who is resting in his house since 5 months ago ?

Blame Buhari, he is ur president who promised to fix Boko in 2 months, make naira equal to dollar and share N5,000 to you.
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by trapQ: 11:21am On Oct 28, 2015
Ask dangote, bill gates, carlos slim helu, Oprah winfrey etc. Did you think it was rosy for them all? Dangote made a name for himself in this Nigeria with all the corruption, unemployment, tribalism, bad governance etc.

Bill gates obviously needed nobody's validation. He needed nothing from the government.

Carlos slim helu is mexican and everyone knows that only the strong survive in mexico. All the things we complain about in Nigeria are present in mexico, yet he scaled through.

Oprah winfrey suffered racism and a lot of criticisms from whites when she first started. She fought through and became a billionaire.

So No, I don't need to depend on the govt for nothing.
Goodnuel:
How exactly do you intend to do that without your govt or with a bad economy??
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by ODUBEZE: 11:32am On Oct 28, 2015
I am happy that this news is coming from World Bank not CBN if not the CBN gov. would have being under fire by now.
CBN said it before and they tried oppressing d man.
PMB keep travelling up and down with empty treasury!
A President that has no blue print on how to run this country.
OYO country!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by ODUBEZE: 11:35am On Oct 28, 2015
trapQ:
Ask dangote, bill gates, carlos slim helu, Oprah winfrey etc. Did you think it was rosy for them all? Dangote made a name for himself in this Nigeria with all the corruption, unemployment, tribalism, bad governance etc.

Bill gates obviously needed nobody's validation. He needed nothing from the government.

Carlos slim helu is mexican and everyone knows that only the strong survive in mexico. All the things we complain about in Nigeria are present in mexico, yet he scaled through.

Oprah winfrey suffered racism and a lot of criticisms from whites when she first started. She fought through and became a billionaire.

So No, I don't need to depend on the govt for nothing.
Bros, we are talking about a country not an individual!
Is Dangote not in Nigeria? then why is the economy still affected?
can a drop of water make a mighty ocean?
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by greatehis: 11:58am On Oct 28, 2015
onyepapa:
you lie it's GEJ!!! Fucccking ediots it's not GEJ any more it's now insecurity. May you remain blind to the truth forever

now that GEJ is out, how come we still cant smell change. leave GEJ tell the dullad to work. no time
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by nigerianvenom(m): 12:04pm On Oct 28, 2015
PassingShot:

Why not borrow sense?

U sound like a foool. Buhari has bim in power for over 4month now, yet nothing seems to change, rather everything tends to move downward and all u can say is this.
Was this what buhari promised nigerians?

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by nigerianvenom(m): 12:18pm On Oct 28, 2015
coldsummer:

U are a bigot.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by 14(m): 12:34pm On Oct 28, 2015
Low oil price is to blame, the drop of 60% will hurt
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by philips70(m): 12:37pm On Oct 28, 2015
400billionman:

Have you seen this graphic presentation before?

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by PassingShot(m): 12:41pm On Oct 28, 2015
[s]
nigerianvenom:

U sound like a foool. Buhari has bim in power for over 4month now, yet nothing seems to change, rather everything tends to move downward and all u can say is this.
Was this what buhari promised nigerians?
[/s]
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by trapQ: 1:07pm On Oct 28, 2015
If you read my earlier comment, you'd see where I said that I've given up on Nigeria. Hence the reason I don't want to depend on the govt for nothing. I won't kill myself thinking about APC/PDP and all that crap. Those people I mentioned didn't need the govt in other to succeed. Nigerian youths need to know this
ODUBEZE:

Bros, we are talking about a country not an individual!
Is Dangote not in Nigeria? then why is the economy still affected?
can a drop of water make a mighty ocean?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Filling Station Business / "Building Simpler, Smarter Bank.”: Union Bank Unveils New Brand Identity / Bus Direction From Obalende To Landmark Event Center In V.I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.