Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,774 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Why Is Nigeria Not Working? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria Not Working? (15061 Views)

Analysis - Buhari Win Means Nigeria, Not Chad, To Lead Boko Haram Fight / Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) / Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Seun(m): 12:07pm On Oct 17, 2006
Stop asking what your country can do for you and ask yourself, what can you do for your country.
That's a silly statement because the country was made to serve people and not the other way round. The country is not a god that we must worship but an organization created so people can enjoy law and order.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by buchio7(m): 12:40pm On Oct 17, 2006
Seun:

That's a silly statement because the country was made to serve people and not the other way round. The country is no a god that we must worship but an organization created so people can enjoy law and order.

I beg to disagree on dis. The greatness of a nation is hinged on d willingness of its ppl to make appropriate sacrifices so as to lift the general good of d majority. That is what made america wat it is as well as france,japan,china e.t.c. There is no magic to it so if anyone is sitting on his/her hunches waiting for nigeria to help her, d person will be greatly disappointed.

The era for lamentation is long gone n we r at a point of wat can u do? look at d labour market,it is oversaturated wit graduates, d question is , wat can we as individuals do to better nt only our lot as individuals but d general lot of all.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by BigB11(m): 2:35pm On Oct 17, 2006
SEUN: In order for Nigeria as a country to move forward effectively, the people, the citizens (including all the leaders) must be willing to sacrifice their desires/ positions and also be willing to contribute positively toward the reformation of the country.

Without this state of mind, we will be wasting our time.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Seun(m): 2:55pm On Oct 17, 2006
The greatness of a nation is hinged on d willingness of its people to make appropriate sacrifices so as to lift the general good of d majority.
the citizens (including all the leaders) must be willing to sacrifice their desires/ positions
This is the rubbish that politicians feed us with so they can feast at our expense. Have you noticed that politicians never make such sacrifices? It's the idiots that follow them that "sacrifice" their lives for nothing.

Look at Ojukwu, he is married to a former Miss Nigeria, while the millions who died because of his war are still dead.  He is feasting while they are rotting in the grave. By sacrificing others, he gained fame unjustly.

When someone asks you to sacrifice yourself for the "greater good", please know that you are being decieved.  People exist to create happiness for themselves and those they care about. Everything else is deception.

Look at G W Bush. American soldiers are dropping dead in Iraq, along with thousands of civilians, yet the man that lied to them to get them to "sacrifice" is in Washington giving speeches.  So who is the fool?

Nobody should be forced to "sacrifice" for a "greater" purpose.  Personal happiness is the greatest purpose.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by BigB11(m): 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2006
SEUN: I see your point, but you're taking this to a different direction.

Look at a soccer team for an example, in order for the team to accomplish it's goal, all the players must be willing to contribute, work together and sacrifice personal agendas.

Is the same concept.

The team will usually disarray as soon as the players start focusing on what they can get from the team instead of doing what it takes to get the objective accomplished together.
Imagine, two players playing for endorsement, 5 playing to advertise their skill to other teams scouts, 3 playing just for the old time sake and only 2 playing to win championship for the team.

Team like this will never be successfull.

NOTE:
Players are the citizens, including the leaders
Team is the country (Nigeria)

I hope you see my point.

We must contribute, we must sacrifice and we must work together as one in order for our lovely country to move forward.

Talking about what Ojukwu or Bush has done will be looking back; and when we look back, moving forward will be difficult. Let's emulate good examples from other incredible leaders and try to move forward effectively
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Rubbermaid(f): 5:04pm On Oct 17, 2006
Seun:

@Rubbermaid: You haven't said anything at all. Does a country consist of the government or the people?

If Ghana is so wonderful, why did 'we' have to force so many Ghanians to leave in the Ghana-must-go era?

@Seun: A geographic region aka country, state, city, town etc may be filled with people and sheep etc but is defined by its government.

Regarding Ghana, as Iewa rightly pointed out, you are comparing apples to oranges. The mass exodus of Ghanians from Nigeria happened decades ago while I was still wearing white ankle socks. Overtime, Ghana has proven to be a more stable country (government) for its people in terms of infrastructure, education etc. Ghanians even adequately capitalized on wireless communications at least 5 years before we did. Do you know that some foreign governments require you as a Nigerian to go through Ghana in order to process immigration visas to their country? Reason is simply that the processes in Ghana are more reliable than ours today.

Having said that, lets not make this about Ghana vs Nigeria because that is not the point. The point is whether we (Nigerians) are ready for the type of changes we truly deserve.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Seun(m): 5:13pm On Oct 17, 2006
When people ask whether Nigeria is working, they are not talking about a geographical region. Or are they?

Hmm, I guess the question is ambiguous. I interpreted it to mean, "are the people of Nigeria moving forward?" and my answer is "yes!" You may have interpreted it to mean, "is the government of Nigeria performing?"

The only person that can determine the correct interpretation of this question is shinystar, the original poster.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by OldGlory1(m): 5:32pm On Oct 17, 2006
Nigeria is not working and will Never work because of too many damn tribes with competing interest. There is no "I" in the word "TEAM". There is no sense of patriotism, no Law and Order, and rampant acceptable levels of Corruption. That is a recipe for disaster, and that is why we are so Backward.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Seun(m): 5:40pm On Oct 17, 2006
Nigeria is not a team and it does not have to be. You cannot have a "team" with 100 million people. The only social structure that can accomodate 100 million people is known as a market. The role of the government is to prevent the participants in this national market from cheating each other, stealing, and engaging in violence.

If the government can focus on that and achieve it, then the people of Nigeria will enjoy faster prosperity.
If not, we'll still survive. We, the people of Nigeria who live in Nigeria, are resilient. We own our own fates!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by OldGlory1(m): 5:56pm On Oct 17, 2006
Seun

I live in the most diverse Nation on earth, some came by boat, some by air, some came forcefully, but yet nearly all 300 Million are proud to be American Citizens. Seun you cannot criticize government, and then tell us what their role is in the same breath. The government in this young democracy is reflective of the people, and therefore have a DUTY to serve the people. The Government has failed, directly means the people cannot govern themselves. By the way those Marines and soldiers that are dying in Iraq, are not dying for George Bush, they are dying for their Country.

If it is a "TRUE DEMOCRATIC nation like Seun claims, you have to peg the Governments performance to the People's sentiments.If you took a poll of the Electorate in Nigeria today vs in 1986, which set of people would say they are satisfied with the countries direction? Nigeria has Failed because the Mindset of the people is programmed to fail. We do not expect 24hrs light, we have all accepted bribery as a fast tract method of getting stuff done, we do not demand running water, our healthcare services are below par, therefore everyone that has a mosquito bite wants to leave for treatment in SA or Brazil or the UK. This applies to both Private and Government Fatcats. People always tell me that "Network is Bad" when i call Nigeria and experience back to back to back dropped calls. What the Bleep is that all about? All three major Carries are not reliable and the people just accept the status quo. Bottom Line in 40yrs $300Billion has been stolen from Nigeria by Nigerians(WorldBank), yet 75% of the population live on less than a $ a day(UNCHR). If that is a country that is working, then i am glad i left.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 17, 2006
Seun you cannot  criticize government, and then tell us what their role is in the same breath.

What are you talking about?, That statement is as wrong as wrong gets.

You do not live in Nigeria, nobody accepts the status quo and people are working to change it for themselves and for the ones they love. You can't be in your "Land of the Free" and make statements like that. I've never met a Nigerian who thinks he shouldn't get clean water or good healthcare so my friend, what are you talking about?, How can you expect 24 hrs. light when it isn't possible to do so, Nigeria is a weird nation. Other populous nations have huge land masses but we're packed like sardines, neccesities will be very hard to provide in a situation like that.  People knowing that they don't ever get what others get doesn't translate to them not knowing what they're supposed to get. Nobody accepts the status quo, we are voting because we want things to change.

You can't compare a 46 year old state who has been under dictatorship for most of those years to a 200+ years democracy where the democractic system is very strong. It takes time to succeed and judging a building while it's still under construction is wrong. Let us build up the democracy and after a 100 years without improvement, then you can label the country a failure. Go back to your history books, how was America at age 40?, They were probably busy killing off Native Americans at that point in time.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by OldGlory1(m): 11:59pm On Oct 17, 2006
Donzman

The people absolutely accept the Status Quo. At the airport, Bus stop, Check Point,Universities, Nigerians are bribing their way in public to get ahead. Like sheep we spit,shout,fight at every stop possible, including the House and Senate. We are 46 and should behave like our age. We need to stop making excuses and face the realities of this degrading society. A 46year old country,that claims to be the Giant of Africa, cannot guarantee Light,Water, or Basic Medical care in any part of the country and you claim we are doing well? Save It!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 1:34am On Oct 18, 2006
It is one thing to say that there's a status quo and it's another thing to say the people accept the status quo when you probably haven't been there in years. What do you expect from a 46 year old country that unlike America or Canada,was colonized under an extractive regime?, Do you know how long it takes to change the instituions of a country? It takes mroe than 8 years of democracy to do that especially after decades under military dictatorship.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by OldGlory1(m): 4:24am On Oct 18, 2006
Donzman

I have been to Nigeria Every year for the last eight years and i stay minimum of 4weeks each time. People accept the status quo in that country. The feed the "Beast". Bribery and Corruption is rampant because the citizens allow and encourage it. Police boldly collect money in public, and we keep on paying their salaries on the highway. I think we need to compare Nigeria with neighboring Cameroon and Ghana instead of the USA. Nigerians are now emigrating to Ghana for education and prosperity. Now if that does not tell you how much Nigeria has failed, i do not know what will wake us up.

Ghanaians now discriminate and look down on Nigerians because they are flooding their country. Remember Ghanaians used to come and sell bread in Nigeria, now they have gone back to a reformed and refreshed country. How many years did it take Ghana to implement these reforms? I guess Nigeria is a "Special case".
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by lewa(m): 4:33am On Oct 18, 2006
@Rubbermaid-brilliant, exquisite
@Old Shame couldn't agree more
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by waleleader(m): 9:51am On Oct 18, 2006
i have read comments, i have judged statements and i can conclude that we have 4 great minds in persons of Donzman, Old shame, Rubbermaid and Seun discussing on this issue. You are all right as far as i am am concerned but you need to agree on one thing. NIGERIA IS NOT WORKING,

@Seun, i mean no offence but have you lived in a western country for at least 1 year ? when we say Nigeria is not working, we mean our Operational system not the populace. We could all have jobs and our system may still fail.In UK for example, all systems seem to work except healthcare. There are issues with NHS everyday.

how can we not have basic amenities like water, electricity and all that in Nigeria and still be the happiest people on earth, we should be the saddest ever. Even in war, Iraq still has excellent communication and electricity . I would not expect you as a computer programmer to provide water for my house. Its not your place, that is what the govt is supposed to provide.

Now what do i think is the problem with Nigeria, LAWLESSNES. Fullstop

lawlessness embodies corruption, laziness, nonn-challance, embezzlement and system failure in general, even the bible says "where there is no law, the people perish".
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by otolorin(m): 10:50am On Oct 18, 2006
nigeria will work very soon only when we change the name, flag, anthem, pledge + any other national iconic figure.

nigerians also need a revolutionary thinking pattern to effect the 'workability' of this country.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by deb(m): 12:50pm On Oct 18, 2006
Due to ignorance, we are achieving less than we can achieve under this government.  In time, we'll learn. 

In absolute terms, Nigeria is ok. We shouldn't be comparing ourselves to countries that are much older. This is like saying a secondary school student is a dunce because she is not as smart as a professor. Give us time, we'll grow.
Seun, I second that one but this one:

That's a silly statement because the country was made to serve people and not the other way round.  The country is no a god that we must worship but an organization created so people can enjoy law and order.

I disagree totally. Until we Nigerian citizens begin to feel responsible for our own situations and we begin to make effort to get things done the right way. we'll not move forward.

The good news however is that we now have more Nigerians than before who have realized what it means to do something for their nation rather than wait for the government to do everything for them.

come over to Oregun to see what a church called Daystar is doing to the community. You will be amazed!
Didnt mean to advertise the church. afterall it not my church.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by BigB11(m): 1:46pm On Oct 18, 2006
Please tell him for me; I'm not sure if he understands that fact.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by mfonedem(m): 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2006
How can things ever worked out when Nigeria, our pride, is been runned and managed by greedy human beings. Nigeria is just like a track event called RELAY, the batton is passed to a particular set of people. Nigeria has been sold to the highest bidder. Obasanjo and their likes should be eradicated, THEY ARE EPIDAMIC TO THE COUNTRY.

Nothing works, system of government, the country is runned by one man who practically run the executives, judiaciary and the legislative. He takes decisions for everybody.

I know GOD is weeping for us, It is all we have got, so let make it better al least for our children's sake, so they can have a place to call home

Mfon Edem
Accra, Ghana
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by deb(m): 3:41pm On Oct 18, 2006
My brother you are very correct about what you said about our present so called "leaders"

My question now is are you willing to resist the status quo. That is one thing I want every Nigerian to think about.
The next presidential election will be a major decisiding factor in changing the destiny of this great nation called NIGERIA for good.

I want to ask all well meaning Nigerians here. Will you register to vote for the next presidential election? Will you Vote on the day of the elections or will you just sit in your house and expect things to change? Will you vote for men of integrity like the Pat Utomi's of this world, Chris Okotie and co? or will you invite the likes of  Babangida, Buhari and the rest  who have no vision for this great nation all in the name of "experience"?

Nigerians think THINK and THINK

, um let me remind you that God is not weeping for us at all! God will not do for Nigeria what she can do for herself. sad angry and I'm talking about you and I. 

This time around some of us the youth of this nation will defend our vote. I can tell you authoritatively that there is a crusade going on all over the penticostal churches in Nigeria. we'll will defend our vote!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by OldGlory1(m): 4:58pm On Oct 18, 2006
Deb

I like your comments and here is what you do. I resisted the status quo when i was in Nigeria in the following ways. I refused to give Bribe at the Airport when i arrived, I refused to give bribe when i was driving on the road, even when i needed something done in a hurry i refused to give bribe. I thing that really stood out for me is that whereever i went Mr.Biggs, Waiting to Board a plane, waiting to get my registration, i did not let anyone jump the line and even if there was not a line, i tried to start one. My point is that where there is no order like the other fellow said, there will always be hardship for everyone.

It is always amazing how these same "Unruly" Nigerians are able to comport themselves once the get here to the west. They stop Urinating on the streets, they stop throwing thrash on the streets, and many even stop spitting. How come we are able to be civilized outside and follow the Laws of other countries, yet we do not abide by ours. And even Foreigners in Nigeria know not to obey the law, because they know everything is about bribing your way thru life. Lebanese in Nigeria act like touts and yet in Lebanon they are civilized. Now why is that?

Hey Deb
I am guessing that the Daystar church is an American church right? I am guessing that is an American church bringing new ideas to the society and congregation they represent.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by deb(m): 5:23pm On Oct 18, 2006
Daystar is 100% Nigerian.

Its Sam Adeyemi's ministry. http://www.daystarng.tv

I'm happy to meet a wonderful Nigerian like you on nairaland. I know there are many more.

Let me just annouce to everyone here on nairaland that corruption is beyond looting public treasury.
when you drive through against one way you are corrupt and you are one of Nigeria's problems. When you litter
the street with pure water satchets, spit on the road and urinate anywhere you are corrupt! When you
disobey the traffic light because there is no police man around, you are corrupt! when you are unruly and you are fond of distrupting orderliness in the society you are corrupt!

Anytime you do things against the law of Nigeria, you are corrupt! and you are a problem that needs to be fixed.
For the sake of the youth of this nation and they the children yet unborn. LETS DO THINGS RIGHT without being told. Afterall, we are not mad people in this nation. Its so amazing how we put up with mediocrity.

Again I want to stress on this thread. Register to vote and be ready to defend your vote. God bless Nigeria. The best country ever to exist. I LOVE MY COUNTRY cry
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by buchio7(m): 10:11am On Oct 19, 2006
Seun:

If the government can focus on that and achieve it, then the people of Nigeria will enjoy faster prosperity.
If not, we'll still survive. We, the people of Nigeria who live in Nigeria, are resilient. We own our own fates!

dont u get it? witout u n me dere wld really be no govt because whom will dey govern? You have a role to play so do everyother tom,dick and haruna on this thread. You may choose nt to play ur role, all well n good but dat doesnt mean u hav no responsibility even if nt to nigeria as an entity but to ur family,community e.t.c which still revolves back to service to nigeria.

There r no free lunches in dis world n whoever is waiting for govt to do everything is deluding demselves especially at dis point in time.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Tonaai(m): 5:43pm On Oct 20, 2006
I think the question should be changed. We have all said our own view on why Nigeria doesn't seem to work. Lets ask how will we make it work? or beter still How will I make it work?

When we say work i want to believe we mean growth and all round development.

Nigeria is growing!!!

Why do I say so. Take a look at where we were 46 years ago and where we are now, you would see that we are growing it is just that the pace is slow.

I am not saying this because I am confortable with what is happening. I am saying this because I am an advocate of Positive Talk. What we should be doing right now is to increase the pace.

I believe Nigeria would work in my time.

Finally, Nigeria can only work if you and I work. Why? If I don't work and you also don't work nothing works in Nigeria because we make it up.

Naija rules the world soonest.

Good bless Naija
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by abiodunade(m): 6:52pm On Oct 20, 2006
The country can not work because that are suppose to make it works are killing the country through numerous corruption, as is our so called LEADER. The basic problem of this great country blessed resources is BAD LEADERSHIP AND HIGH LEVEL CORRUPTION IN HIGH PLACES. Corruption exists all over the world but ours is out of hand because of numerous reasons in this country. We have a high level of unemployment, because of lack VISIONARY LEADERSHIP IN THE COUNTRY and lack of continuity of policy and programmes in the country. It amaze me to hear MR. PRESIDENT saying he has spent BILLIONS of NAIRA on NEPA NOW POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA, still yet this sector is not working at all and the government usually claims they have spent BILLIONS of Naira on ROADS and roads are still in BAD SHARP. Corruption is our MAJOR PROBLEM and our LEADERS are not sincere in FIGHT THIS GREAT PROBLEM THAT HAS BEDEVILLED THIS COUNTRY. Where our LEADERS suppose to TAKE A DECISIVE DECISION, they lack the power because most of those people engage in CORRUPTION ARE THEIR ASSOCIATES IN QUOTE. That is why Nigeria is not working?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by oolodumare(m): 8:13pm On Oct 20, 2006
wu says nigeria isnt workin. I love dis country & am so excited with d way things are going.
with obasanjo's economic reforms, things r looking up. its not all perfect but its moving & dats good. things av gone bad 4 too long, so u cant expect it 2 change overnight. it takes tym, it takes resolve.

the most major problems wit nigeria r as follows:

1. we the people

2. bad leaders

3. corruption

4. poverty

the list isnt longer than dis. d way I c it is dis:
its a vicious circle, ---from amongst the people come bad leaders--- bad leaders practice corruption--- corruption brings about poverty--- poverty enslaves the people--- the poor people r forced 2 substitute theirs values for bread and keep silent in the face of brazen corruption and abuse of office--- soon the values r forgotten, the people now worship naira and all those who av it not minding the source--- the people due to poverty kip bad leaders in office--- more corruption leads to abject poverty, lack of education, lack of good roads, crime etc--- the bad leaders cant stand decay in society and move their families abroad--- the people think, "God has really blessed dis man"--- and it goes on and on,
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by kheme(m): 1:00am On Oct 22, 2006
"evil" minds! here's an idea, KILL everyone from the age of 1 and above, and let those with FRESH uncorrpt minds lead the country!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by BlackMamba(m): 3:08pm On Oct 23, 2006
Ignorance of their rights as citizens. Until common folks on the streets and villages become emboldened to demand accountability from government officials, Nigeria will continue to grope in the dark. Most Nigerians that find themselves in position of authority, including me, will be most inclined to misappropriate public funds, because (a) You can do it and get away with it and (b) if you don't do it, you'll be ostracized by your family and constituency, ie if you can survive shutting them out of pilfering government coffers.
Fellow Nigerians, it will take a combination of leaders that are ready to sacrifice everything, including their life, and sensitizing the population about their role in government.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by mrmetoo(m): 4:17am On Oct 24, 2006
Nigeria is not working because of CORRUPTION. Thats the root of everything. Thats the reason nothing gets done properly. The guys with the power steal the money so nothing gets done and the little guys take bribes because they're not getting paid because the big guys have used their money to purchase the most expensive property around the world. Its not working because its extremely hard for an enterpreneur to make ends meet because the roads are bad, there is no light, there is no water, in short basic amenities to build a viable business. If the government doesn't provide a system that favors individuals and their businesses the country would keep failing. Thats the reason we have people that are millionaires today and can't even afford to fuel their cars tomorrow. We need a change in our Government and believe me thats all we need. If the Almighty US of A with all its wealth and prosperity was given to our leaders to run it would collapse in 5yrs because no nation/business can survive when all the money being made is embezzled. Its just sad I'm not in Nigeria right now so I can't vote but lets not assume they'll cheat and use that as an excuse not to VOTE. Lets VOTE these old bastards out maybe if their defeat is over-whelming they won't degrade themselves so much as to rig the votes and prove themselves to be the scum of the earth.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Sijien(m): 9:42am On Oct 24, 2006
dis topic pass me o. naija no dey work becos our people too shine their eye.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by deb(m): 1:04pm On Oct 25, 2006
"evil" minds! here's an idea, KILL everyone from the age of 1 and above, and let those with FRESH uncorrpt minds lead the country!

You start by commiting suicide and leave a note behind. Then we'll know you are serious about your statement.

@BLACKMAMBA,

Are you a politician?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Update On Registration For The New National I.D. Card / Akpabio & Obong Attah Reunite At Florence Ita-Giwa's Birthday Party (Pics) / FG Grants Citizenship To 286 Foreign Nationals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.