Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,311 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Why Is Nigeria Not Working? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria Not Working? (15049 Views)

Analysis - Buhari Win Means Nigeria, Not Chad, To Lead Boko Haram Fight / Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) / Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by BlackMamba(m): 12:51am On Oct 26, 2006
deb:

@BLACKMAMBA,
Are you a politician?

Just another disgruntled Naijaman armed and waiting for the day Segun, Shehu and Emeka will join together to dismantle the present political and economic order. Aluta Continua!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by IBEXY(m): 12:49pm On Nov 02, 2006
why naija no dey work ?

1. Large scale KLEPTOMANIA in high places
2. CORRUPTION
3. INSTITUTIONALISED THIEVERY IN HIGH PLACES
4. HYPOCRISY PLUS LACK OF STRONG WILLPOWER ON THE PART OF THE PEOPLE TO STAND UP FOR THEIR RIGHTS

TO SAY A LITTLE

Lets stop pretending, we all know what our problems are.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by gwatala(m): 1:32pm On Nov 02, 2006
Please let us kick Borishad out before he ruins the country:

These are my reasons why Borishade should (be made to) go now:

For a Minister, he does not take responsibilities. Look where he placed the blames for this latest crash: not anywhere the minstry. This same man almost paralysed the Education sector while he was minster of Education in the year 2003.

Are we really ready to keep in the cabinet of Obasanjo? Some say this petition may not help. I believe that it will. The last protest by parents of another crash under his adminstration was met by brutal force by the Nigerian police. Are we ready to be gagged?

Is Borishade really indispensible in this governement? Can we make him go? I would give a YES to the last question. What about you?

Pls add your name to a petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/borisha/petition.html
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by OBJ3(m): 1:33am On Nov 03, 2006
nigeria is not working fine b/c people like ibexy are busy in london waiting for their servant to build their nation for them. there are bad people in this country and it is the duty of good people to fight them and take over the country. read the history of those countries u guys run to, u'll see where bad people ruled and where good people fought and gave their all, even their lives to get back their country.

all some people say here is that leaders this, leaders that. what of the followers. eh? the students in secret cult in the universities-is it PDP's fault? eh? angry the student that cheats in exams, is it O-B-J's fault. the girl that sells her body in the street, the people who rig the elections at the polling station, was it me? was I in all polling stations? there are problems ,yes, but even with the problems, what nigerians do best is to give excuses. excuses, excuses, excuses. vote u wont come out to vote, when elections are rigged u shout foul. why dont u guys come out en mass and vote and fight for those votes and let's start from there.

nonsense angry
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by IBEXY(m): 12:23pm On Nov 03, 2006
O-B-J:

nigeria is not working fine b/c people like ibexy are busy in london waiting for their servant to build their nation for them. there are bad people in this country and it is the duty of good people to fight them and take over the country. read the history of those countries u guys run to, u'll see where bad people ruled and where good people fought and gave their all, even their lives to get back their country.

all some people say here is that leaders this, leaders that. what of the followers. eh? the students in secret cult in the universities-is it PDP's fault? eh? angry the student that cheats in exams, is it O-B-J's fault. the girl that sells her body in the street, the people who rig the elections at the polling station, was it me? was I in all polling stations? there are problems ,yes, but even with the problems, what nigerians do best is to give excuses. excuses, excuses, excuses. vote u wont come out to vote, when elections are rigged u shout foul. why don't u guys come out en mass and vote and fight for those votes and let's start from there.

nonsense angry

My dear OBJ, I will let u know that I served naija with up to 30yrs of my life before deciding to come here. If you did not know, some of uswho came here did so as a huge sacrifice in order to learn and acquire knowledge with which we can make naija proud tommorow. Unless you are here, you might not appreaciate how dissapointing it is to live in a full functional society while knowing your own home is in the grips of mediocrity. It is a constant thing of sorrow to realise that you might not have a place to go back to afterall because psychophants and the politically misled have taken over our beloved country and turned it into a breeding ground for scammers, corrupt people and the like.

paragraph 2 of your writeup is very amusing. If the young girl in the street had access to at least subsidised cost of education (not even free education o), would she be in the streets. Would you say we cannot afford free education at least up to secondary school. (One state governors ill gotten wealth will be enough to finance that for 5 yrs)

When the youths have nothing else to do, why do you blame them for joining secret cults. Who even uses the cults - the politicians of course, for rigging election. What has government done to curb cultism.

If you read my piece very well you would have found we are saying the same thing. I said part of our problem is:

4. HYPOCRISY PLUS LACK OF STRONG WILLPOWER ON THE PART OF THE PEOPLE TO STAND UP FOR THEIR RIGHTS.

Many good people have joined in applauding and promoting glaringly rotten politicians and government officials simply because they got to their wits end or simply becasue they want a share of the stolen wealth.

Justice will prevail one day.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by lafile(m): 2:39pm On Nov 03, 2006
i read it somewhere. a people get the leadership they deserve
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by OBJ3(m): 3:25pm On Nov 03, 2006
well, i don't think poverty is an excuse for prostitution, or cultism. this is part of the culture of excuses, excuses and excuses. if u need excuses, there will always be excuses till thy kingdom come.  angry listen(if you can) if u like post ten billion threads on nairaland or other stupid fora, these threads will never, repeat- never, make nigeria improve. action will. look for what you can do and do it.

i raised a thread some months ago, asking, what have u done for nigeria. the replies were preposterous  angry  someone said ahaaa, i ran as fast as my legs can carry me. the person wrote from germany. imagine angry .yet u say it is the leadership.

do ur own 1st, then let's see. and if the leadership is too stiff and negative-change it. why not angry do you need to be told. if they want to rig elections, stop them. if they want to steal money, stop them. the country is too bad. not just the leadership, when a 419 recieves chieftaincy titles, is it O-B-J's fault, when a thief becomes a knight in the church, is it my fault? when a university gives honorary doctorate to a confirmed rogue who do you blame?  these are the reasons why the nation seems not to be working as it should. when these halowed institutions encourage ill gotten wealth dont you know it is sending a dangerous message to the youth? then u blame O-B-J abi? idiots  angry  .  
we should come together and for starters we should develop a right attitude. this attitude of naija na nonsense is stupid to say the least. when people think this way like odeku and co, they remind me of one thing:-
moronic imbeciles  angry
nonsense   angry
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Hugoboi(m): 3:34pm On Nov 03, 2006
this attitude of naija na nonsense is stupid to say the least. when people think this way like odeku and co, they remind me of one thing:-
moronic imbeciles Angry
nonsense Angry

This goes on to confirm wat i earlier said.people like Odeku should be thrown out of nairaland for feedin us dirt.This forum isnt for beer parlour talk and shameless playin-to-the-gallery antics.its for serious minded people and name droppers like Odeku should stay out.
For the records this aint no personal war or vendetta.This guy is simply witless!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by IBEXY(m): 4:01pm On Nov 03, 2006
One thing for sure that will not save naija is:

spitting out foul mouthed vituperations on this website - especially from some people who are nursing some political ambitions and reside in the INEC office.

by their fruits u shall know them.

they live under the myopic illusion that they are a repository of all the solutions to naija's problems.

sometimes they have a hidden motive for appearing on forums like this:

to spread their warped political gospels and campaign for re-election the 20th time grin grin grin

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by alabiyemmy(m): 3:11am On Jan 04, 2007
Simple - because the citizens dont want it to work - a few like to steal - 419, scammers, pessimists, fast way to money etc. How can a country where the youths want easy way to wealth progress?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 3:44am On Jan 04, 2007
alabiyemmy:

Simple - because the citizens don't want it to work - a few like to steal - 419, scammers, pessimists, fast way to money etc. How can a country where the youths want easy way to wealth progress?

How can you incessantly blame the people for not making Nigeria work but yet you turn a blind eye to the reason why the people adopt this pessimistic attitude. Before bashing the people, find out why they're the way they are. There is no smoke without fire, Nigerians were not born pessimstic, something must have caused us to become the way you always claim we are. I'll leave it to you to figure out or maybe you already know why but hesitant to bite the fingers that feed you.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by alabiyemmy(m): 5:45am On Jan 04, 2007
meaning?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 5:56am On Jan 04, 2007
I will take a horse to a river and force him to drink?. . . Na wa o!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by nilla(f): 5:57am On Jan 04, 2007
[deleted]
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 6:12am On Jan 04, 2007
Miss Nilla, are you scared?. . . Your opinions will be appreciated, we treat everyone equally on Nairaland. cheesy
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by nilla(f): 6:13am On Jan 04, 2007
it was offtopic. . . was trying to tell you the poem you requested is on my blog!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 6:16am On Jan 04, 2007
Ahh ok!. . . I'll check it out soon, I have some readings to do in the next 30minutes.

Thanks miss Nilla! grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by nilla(f): 6:16am On Jan 04, 2007
aight later. . .I'm out smiley
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by BigB11(m): 6:33am On Jan 04, 2007
Currently, Nigeria is not working because of OBJ.

We have the biggest opportunity to effectively fight corruption in Nigeria, but our mighty leader (OBJ) is dirty as a farm pig. This is making it difficult for organization like EFCC to function productively.

Baba continues to divide the country and indirectly disabling major federal government day to day activities.

No need to waste time writing story; corruption is our main issue.

Once corruption issue is dissolved, sky is the limit, folks.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Planner(m): 10:27am On Jan 04, 2007
Nigeria is quite ok. All the things that government can't provide, we entrepreneurs will eventually provide

Smart Talk
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Easyy(m): 11:10am On Jan 04, 2007
I believe it's the people.

When we, as a people, are fed up of being rubbished by the so-called political class and we decide to firmly end the oppression, it will be done.

I think we still have many of us feeding on the crumbs from the tables of thieving policians hence there is no great desire and willpower to effect changes to the way we are governed. We are also quite a greedy lot. When we are given the opportunity to steal, we forget the fact that there are millions of others suffering as a result of the fact that we are stealing public funds.

Yes, the leaders are absolutely irresponsible but you cannot absolve the public of some share of the blame. Most people are looking for 'fast bucks', no matter the illegality of the means of making such fast bucks.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by nilla(f): 1:06am On Jan 06, 2007
Easyy:

I believe it's the people.

When we, as a people, are fed up of being rubbished by the so-called political class and we decide to firmly end the oppression, it will be done.

I think we still have many of us feeding on the crumbs from the tables of thieving policians hence there is no great desire and willpower to effect changes to the way we are governed. We are also quite a greedy lot. When we are given the opportunity to steal, we forget the fact that there are millions of others suffering as a result of the fact that we are stealing public funds.

Yes, the leaders are absolutely irresponsible but you cannot absolve the public of some share of the blame. Most people are looking for 'fast bucks', no matter the illegality of the means of making such fast bucks.

I whole heartedly concur with you, because I believe Nigerians are why Nigeria isn't working, and it will take Nigerians too to get Nigeria working. . .
And until Nigerians quit complaining and understand this, we are stuck.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by alabiyemmy(m): 10:29pm On Jan 06, 2007
When you blame the people for Nigeria's woes and problems, you tend to have enemies, but when you blame the government, everyone concurs and agrees, what a people. When 419 is rife, we blame the government, when scamming is rife, we blame the government, when armed robbery is rife, we blame the government, to all the woes in the country, we blame the government, what about the people, the parents, the teachers, the religious leaders all who have failed to instill godliness in their siblings, in their congregation or in their pupils? If it has always been the government, then the people must be absolute saints. What a people we are in this country.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Mariory(m): 10:38pm On Jan 06, 2007
If the government is to blame for everything, where then does our government come from? Do they just magically appear and become politicians? Who supports them? Who helps them wield their power? Isn't the answer the people? So yeah, I agree. A large number of Nigerians are the problem with Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by igbokwenu(m): 11:35am On Jan 11, 2007
Because OBJ is Chopping and not working.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Easyy(m): 12:00pm On Jan 11, 2007
Mariory:

If the government is to blame for everything, where then does our government come from? Do they just magically appear and become politicians? Who supports them? Who helps them wield their power? Isn't the answer the people? So yeah, I agree. A large number of Nigerians are the problem with Nigeria.

Mariory cheers.

We like to shirk responsibilities and blame the leaders as if the leaders dropped from heaven. We are responsible for the kind of leadership we have.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Taio(f): 5:49pm On Jan 11, 2007
I feel it is time to stop 'suffering and smiling', leadership is a major problem here , our leaders don't see their roles as being a service anymore. Don't you get infuriated when they look you in the face and tell you lies? Well, I do. If our leaders will not serve us, we should think of ways to get them out and get them to 'pay for their sins' when they leave. Nothing is working because the 'powers that be' make sure it doesn't work!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Mamajama(m): 9:29pm On Jan 11, 2007
Nigeria is not working because of the people. the people need to change and have a new mentality and ways of doing things. the presidency is at fault but the issue of Nigeria is bigger than the presidency.

the people need to change
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by alabiyemmy(m): 10:27am On Jan 13, 2007
Everytime I travel home, I see the things people do and they all tend to blame the government for the woes of the nation - they drive against traffic - it is government, they scam and do 419, it is the government, they dump rubbsih from their cars to the road, it is the government, they wont obey traffic rules, it is the government, they will steal at work, it is the government, they do everything bad and they all end up blaming the government - why, why, why?

I sorry for my people - trust me - these same people will travel abroad and obey every rule there - so why cant they be orderly at home? Even some of us travel home and straight from the airport, they disobey every common rule - they attack the airport officials, they look at them with scorn - why, why, why? They say line up here - they say, why should we line up - etc.

Why, why, why?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Mamajama(m): 2:58pm On Jan 13, 2007
Because we are Nigerians stubborn breeds. that cockiness is in us. BIGMANISM, lol
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by olaak1(m): 12:27pm On Jan 16, 2007
Who told you IMF programme has successfully tranforme Ghana? my Brothers pls let always be rational in all our idea or suggestion i live in Togo a near-by country to Ghana, i often go to Ghana to get some of my consignment, Ghanaian economy is 100% percent dependant of Nigeria's ask any body that knows Ghana very well angry angry
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 5:57am On Jan 31, 2007
Nigeria isn't working because of Nigerians. If we talk about corruption, corruption is all over the world. Talk about poor government policies, it’s everywhere in the world. But the only thing all countries don't have in common is the citizens and the attitude of citizens goes a long way in building a great nation.

Even if we succeed in building all these nice structures in naija, i believe we'll mess them all up in a few months, no matter how good they are. Nigerians are generally impatient, always in a hurry, uncooperative and we think we know too much.
I have high hopes for Nigeria, but I believe with our attitude as Nigerians, it may take a while. Until we are ready to accept that we have to lose some things to gain some things, we are not ready for a reform.

Look at a country like Thailand, they were not colonized by any country but because of the respect they have for the monarchy and their patience, they were able to come out strong. I was shocked to see that a third world country like Thailand can be as beautiful and organized as it is. According to expats, Nigeria was way ahead of most Asian countries less than 30 years back, but where we are today; we may not meet them in 50 years.

I ask myself why it works for them and not for us and from all indication, the problem is our orientation. We each have a role to play in making Nigeria work. We are very stubborn and extremely difficult to deal with. We keep talking about government and how they failed, why don't we take a second to check ourselves?

For a start;
   How many people pay their taxes in Nigeria?
   How many naijas pay ELECTRICITY bills?
   How many naijas wait for the officials to leave before they climb the poles to reconnect their electricity?
   How manynaijas build good toilets in their homes?
   How many naijas are ready to do legitimate jobs according to their levels?
   How many illiterates are willing to take up the jobs that they deserve?
   How many people are not ready to bribe their ways to get what they want even when they don't deserve it?
   How many naijas are willing to help a brother in need?
   How many naija undergrads are not bribing their way through school?
   How many naijas(even some big people) will stop at the nearest decent place to empty their bowels instead of doing it
   in the bush along the road?
   How many naijas will gladly buy a made in naija good?
   How many people are ready to stay on a queue and wait for their turn?

Folks, I can go on and on. I still believe we have what it takes to be not just the giant of Africa but a giant in the world, if only we are willing to change our attitudes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

FFK Reacts To Rescue Of Yobe School Girls, Calls It ”another Fat Lie” / Osoba: How Daniel, Amosun Traumatised Me For 16 Years / Army Will Defend Nigeria's Democracy At All Costs - COAS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.