Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Why Is Nigeria Not Working? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria Not Working? (15033 Views)

Analysis - Buhari Win Means Nigeria, Not Chad, To Lead Boko Haram Fight / Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) / Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 5:06am On Dec 03, 2008
the fulani overinfluence and control in nigeria is too blatant, they dont even know how to hide it , up to the point that umaru shikafi, wada nas only death could seperate those fulani men from being part and holding political office in every single government since independence.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by JustGood(m): 2:33pm On Dec 03, 2008
Because Nigerians are damaging it
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Kobojunkie: 11:25pm On Dec 04, 2008
It does not really matter if the fulani over influence or not, if you ask me. Even when you step down south where there is practically no fulani in sight, you still see decay all around. Did the fulani's go down there to destroy things as well?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by asha80(m): 11:36pm On Dec 04, 2008
most nigerians see nigeria as an enterprise to make money from and not a nation or country to serve and build because there is no feeling of nationhood amongst its people

the statement above is the major reason why nigeria is not working
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 6:34am On Dec 05, 2008
kobo junkie thats a good point the decay in the south and the country as a whole is caused by neglect, lack of maintainance culture, squandering of govt funds, political infighting and non chalant attitude and selfishness of the citizenry. so what asha and co have said is also right, but to me those 2 where the main things hindering nigeria (fulani and homosexuals) while the others i just listed are the secondary things hindering us.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:41am On Dec 05, 2008
Corruption. If we can nature the roots of our development we will be fine.
It's so easy to put the problem into one word, but that truly is the problem!

If we could have transparency in Nigeria, why sky would be the limit.
I pride myself in being Nigerian. I believe that we are smart people and industrious.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by JJYOU: 6:44am On Dec 05, 2008
asha 80:

most nigerians see nigeria as an enterprise to make money from and not a nation or country to serve and build because there is no feeling of nationhood amongst its people

the statement above is the major reason why nigeria is not working

Kobojunkie:

It does not really matter if the fulani over influence or not, if you ask me. Even when you step down south where there is practically no fulani in sight, you still see decay all around. Did the fulani's go down there to destroy things as well?
JustGood:

Because Nigerians are damaging it
Soskid:

the answer to that is very simple as. nigeria is blessed natural resources. but hte people in authority are only after their pocket cry cry
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 9:28pm On Dec 23, 2008
The other thing that is hindering nigeria is the recycling of leaders.

by now a law should have been passed banning somebody from holding an office more than once.

Aslo people should be banned from seeking a lower office than they have been before i.e meaning somebody who has been a minister should not be allowed to run for office of governor. 

people should only be allowed to aspire to higher office then they where previously e.g they can go from governor to minster or governor to senator.  but cannot go from senator to governor

same thing once somebody has been a minister once they should not be allowed to be a minister in another ministry.

same thing once somebody has headed a federal parastatal they should not be allowed to head another pasrastatal

this is the only way we can get fresh ideas and the only way way a lot people people will have personal fulfillment in the country.

meaning obasanjo should not have been allowed to come back as a president for the 2nd time. olu falaye would have been a better educated and exposed choice for nigeria and nigerians than obasanjo!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by oderemo(m): 9:36pm On Dec 23, 2008
in the realm of things don't mention olu falaye, he is not the so called Messiah. obj was a total disaster but to say falaye would be better , i personally don't think so.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Dede1(m): 1:06am On Dec 24, 2008
Ethnic bias is reigning supreme in Nigeria.
Nigeria is a geographical notation of fused multi-nation.
Emotions and sentiments tend to occupy the sensory organs of Nigerians.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by MrCrackles(m): 1:09am On Dec 24, 2008
Because someone forgot to pay the subcription charges!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 6:49pm On Dec 25, 2008
ode remo why i said falaye would have been a better choice is because, we have not seen what he can offer us as president , but we had all seen what obasanjo could offer us in the 70's. so by him coming back again in 2008 it was as if he had unfinished busuiness, when he should have packed his bags and baggages the first time once and for all.
my idea to ban recycling leaders will re-inject: fresh ideas, fresh policies, fresh system of doing things, fresh resource generation, fresh methods, fresh planning and visions etc
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 6:51pm On Dec 25, 2008
has anybody seen a primary 3 student going back to primary 1, it dosnt happen thats why i said recycling of leaders should be banned by law.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by IGWEUSA(m): 9:32am On Dec 27, 2008
Naija will never change, untill we start to elect well educated and exposed leaders which can come from any tribe.

But as for now, i will say that "Yara dua" is the problem. He should go and help his health before helping Nigerians.

***********I rest my case******************* lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 6:41pm On Jan 07, 2009
another 2 things that nigeria needs are

1 seperation of the offices of president from commander in chief: the president should be elected while the commander in chief also double as the chief of defence staff will be the one to handle national security affairs and should be a general. the post of secetary to the govt is not enough in the federal cabinet to represent the voice of the govt servants . infact traditionally the post of secretary to the govt was reserved for the most senior civil servant but now its a political post so we need that to be a civil servant post ! this is the only way to stop coup attempt in nigeria .

2 the creation of the appointment known as permanent senators: these will be 1 senator from each state appointed by a first class traditional ruler. the aim will be to represent the interest of traditional rulers.

immediate motion to pass a bill on these is needed in order for nigeria to move forward
if the queen of england can be the commander in chief, while the prime minister is the political head. i dont see why it cant happen in nigeria
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 6:55pm On Jan 07, 2009
infact there should be a cabinet level position known as minister of the private sector who will be a person nominated by a pressional body such as manufacturers association of nigeria! however this person will not be payed by govt nor will they be entitled to any govt benefit. the post is just to get peoples voice heard on various national issues.

representation by geography alone is not enough we also need representation by interest, career, tradition.

because representation is suppose to encompass all major steakholders and interest groups in the country or any country for that matter.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by oderemo(m): 7:14pm On Jan 07, 2009
representation is suppose to encompass all major steakholders and interest groups [color=#990000][/color]

that will be the day we have true democracy if that happens. am with u.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 08, 2009
Nigeria is not working because of the innocent blood, she had shed and which she's still shedding. May innocent lives were lost, which can never be in the media. The innocent bloods are crying for justice and what Nigeria is experiencing is just a spit of their cry, judgements will soon be in full if no restitution is made on time. Let's start from me and you,
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by MaiSuya(m): 6:12pm On Jan 08, 2009
jimmyjam:

infact there should be a cabinet level position known as minister of the private sector [/b]who will be a person nominated by a pressional body such as manufacturers association of nigeria! however this person will not be payed by govt nor will they be entitled to any govt benefit.[b] the post is just to get peoples voice heard on various national issues.

representation by geography alone is not enough we also need representation by interest, career, tradition.

because representation is suppose to encompass all major steakholders and interest groups in the country or any country for that matter.

I don't think we need a new minster for anything; there are already too many as it is. The duties you highlighted are those that our senators and 'honorables' are - or should be - performing.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Kobojunkie: 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
jimmyjam:

another 2 things that nigeria needs are

2 the creation of the appointment known as permanent senators: these will be 1 senator from each state appointed by a first class traditional ruler. the aim will be to represent the interest of traditional rulers.

immediate motion to pass a bill on these is needed in order for nigeria to move forward
if the queen of england can be the commander in chief, while the prime minister is the political head. i don't see why it can't happen in nigeria

In order words, solve Nigeria’s problems by institutionalizing tribalism?

jimmyjam:

infact there should be a cabinet level position known as minister of the private sector who will be a person nominated by a pressional body such as manufacturers association of nigeria! however this person will not be payed by govt nor will they be entitled to any govt benefit. the post is just to get peoples voice heard on various national issues.

So the fact that the people HIRE those in government to hear them and attend to their needs is not enough? The people now need yet another MINISTER to get their voices heard?

What good has regional representation done for us so far? How does creating yet another complex layer between the people and their civil servants help ?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 5:04am On Jan 11, 2009
kobojunkie if your not already aware there is no such thing as the civil service belongs to the citizens. because its not income tax that pays salaries in the nigerian govt. its oil revenue and stock market that is the major source that the govt uses for payment of salaries.

so beleive it or not the multinational oil companies have more right to demand certain things from the FG like roads and infrastructure because they contibute most to govt revenue by way of royalies, corporate tax and joint venture profits.

nigeria and most third world countries are not like most western countries in that the people have a say in the way govt expenditure should be spent.

and i dont see how the post of minister of organized private sector create more buerocracy because private sector is not represented officially in the govt.

also if the Fg wants to keep the post of secetry to the FG as political then they should create a new one called secretary/head of civil service who would be the most senior serving civil servant in the federation.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 5:15am On Jan 11, 2009
and also creation of permanent trational senators will not institutionalize tribalizm because, if we are to become truely a melting point in nigeria then the pot has to contain various ingredients e,g geographical, traditional/cultural, economic, labour groups etc i.e the various major stakeholders in the country i.e people who call themselves nigeria from all works of life in a broad spectrum.

we do not have to follow americans or europeans in all ways, because america themsleves are following an ancient italian senatorial system that was design for the julius ceaser era , we are in 2009 and so having a senate labour representative, nigerian medical association , manufacturing association of nigeria, nigerian union of journalist etc present at federal decison cabinet level, or in the senate with full voting and motion passing power is not a bad thing and should be welcomed.

so the so called modern system os democracy is actually centuries old and needs to be updated to suit the present day world we live in. there where no countries during the julius ceaser era, there where only kingdoms, and so if thats the case i dont see whey traditional rulers cant have permanent senators , while 2nd class traditional rulers will have permanent house of reps members.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Kobojunkie: 5:33am On Jan 11, 2009
jimmyjam:

kobojunkie if your not already aware there is no such thing as the civil service belongs to the citizens. because its not income tax that pays salaries in the nigerian govt. its oil revenue and stock market that is the major source that the govt uses for payment of salaries.
Do you really believe the statement posted above?

jimmyjam:

so beleive it or not the multinational oil companies have more right to demand certain things from the FG like roads and infrastructure because they contibute most to govt revenue by way of royalies, corporate tax and joint venture profits.
WOW

jimmyjam:

nigeria and most third world countries are not like most western countries in that the people have a say in the way govt expenditure should be spent.
And you believe it is exactly the way it ought to be?
jimmyjam:

and i don't see how the post of minister of organized private sector create more buerocracy because private sector is not represented officially in the govt.
Why again do you feel we need this?

jimmyjam:

also if the Fg wants to keep the post of secetry to the FG as political then they should create a new one called secretary/head of civil service who would be the most senior serving civil servant in the federation.

Creating more posts, ministerial posts, states etc is the way you believe we can solve problems in Nigeria? Sigh!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Nobody: 6:20am On Jan 11, 2009
We need to be man handled and brainwashed to forgo Religion and Tribal differences. From the way it's going in Nigeria, we are doomed. We need to inject the fear of revolution in the mind of leaders. Peaceful display means nothing to me, it has to be destructive for it to touch them.

It can't work the way it is. An organization has to be formed. That organization will comprise of people who will dictate to leaders what to do and what not to do. Trust me, it's how the US got this far. It just got corrupted by Zionist and propagandists. We need an organization of people with a positive view that controls the presido himself. If we don't arrive at this soon enough, I'm sorry we'll remain in same spot forever. Just having the masses with tribal and religious differences controlled by sentiments vote won't solve our problem at all. There is nothing like true democracy let's not be fooled. the only thing Democracy is good for is the right of the people to be protected. People with huge differences can't elect a true and honest leader at all!!!!!!!! There has to be an organization we can trust.

This is just my own idea and if I ever have the chance, I'll make it work especially for Nigeria and Africa. This is what Africans need. This is how it was done before we were invaded and our development paused. Our kings always seek advices from the Gods to make a decision. They don't just take actions without consulting the Gods.

kolo mentality is one of our problems!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jamace(m): 1:58pm On Jan 11, 2009
Nigeria is not working because Nigerians are not working for Nigeria.[/b][b]
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by asha80(m): 7:51pm On Jan 11, 2009
Maybe it was not designed to work lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 1:03am On Jan 20, 2009
asha is right its possible the british had used a few contries in africa as case studies and knew very well that they woul design nigeria in such a way that it would not work. as for mai suya aboki we did not come here to roast suya, but if your offering then chicken suya is o.k with a lot of pepper pls, just a little joke lol
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by B118: 10:21pm On Jan 20, 2009
In my opinion

Nigeria is very very divided for example why does it matter that the last president was Yoruba or that the present one is from the North. To build a house u have to get the foundation right first. To build Nigeria we have to unify Nigeria. Forget these other dividing forces such as religion, ethnicity wealth e.t.c

Dont get me wrong the fact that we have so many interesting culture in one great country is part of what makes Nigeria beautiful but let these differences bring us together and not tear us apart.

Nigerians have too much of this "one man for himself" attitude its all about "what has the country done for me". we need to ask ourselves, "what can I do for Nigeria?". We can't all just be taking from the country we have to give something.

We need to all THINK about ways the counrtry can be improved and how they can contribute and not just think, put to practise, DO.

A change in Nigeria for the better is war against greed. If you think those greedy bastards in charge are ready to give up the keys to the country that easy, think again.

But just before we all head to aso rock (or whatever it is called nowadays) with our matchets and swords, we need a strategy we need to know where we're going and what we're fighting for, what it is about Nigeria that is worth saving, we need to know our history. We need to educate ourelves, Know our history, understand how things happen, know whats going on in the world, Know how the country is run. so we know when we're being ripped off and know how to fight back.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jimmyjam: 10:43pm On Jan 21, 2009
i agree B118 , yes we should try to see beyond tribal, religious, racial and political interest when it comes to the matters of nigeria progress . this is the philosphy of people like abraham lincoln and barack obama i.e when they see human beings they see people, when they see a poitician whether the person is a man, woman , black , white they see that person as simply a fellow politician its for this reason that a lot of people like obama.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by B118: 12:06am On Jan 22, 2009
, real talk

by the way how the hell did Obasanjo manage to get a job with the UN

Perhaps baba wasnt all bad undecided
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by Kobojunkie: 3:32am On Jan 22, 2009
Nigeria is not working because the people are not doing their job as citizens in a democracy. And No, I do not mean charity work or donating money to help others. I mean actually participating on all levels of government ( NOT RUNNING FOR POLITICAL OFFICE OO). Simple!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Working? by jamace(m): 7:21am On Jan 22, 2009
angry sad shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Apple Has Deleted Its Facebook And Instagram Pages For Itunes / Video Isaac Fayose Reacted To Was From 2018 / Tinubu: Abdulmalik, Olonisakin, Buratai, Others Visit Lagos, Meets Lagos Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.