Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,089 members, 7,821,766 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

What Is Anointing Oil For? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Anointing Oil For? (2279 Views)

Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. / Pastor Selling Anointing Oil- What Do You Think? / Is Anointing Oil Still Relevant In The New Testament? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Anointing Oil For? by segyemaro(m): 3:24pm On May 09, 2009
Anointing oil used to be a very important aspect of christain lives, but the way some christains have now taken it is not what it was made to be. I was in a friend's house two days ago he fellowships with Living Faith church(Winners)i met his young son runing Temperature, instead of him to be taken to the hospital,he took anointing oil and put some in his mouth. I went there today i still met d son the way i left him the previous day,when i adviced him to be taken to the hospital,my friend said he has given him anointing oil. I was now wondering why should this little boy be subjected to the pains of sickness because his parents believe more on ANOINTING OIL. So fellow members when are we soppose to use the Anointing Oil?
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by segyemaro(m): 11:31pm On May 09, 2009
And what is the importance
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by mazaje(m): 1:16am On May 10, 2009
when ever you fall sick do what the bible tells you. . . do not go to the hospital but go to the church elders to pray for you and anoint you with anointing oil. . .as the bible says. . .

James 5:14-18 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by Bastage: 9:00am On May 10, 2009
Anointing is an ancient tradition, predating Judaism. In the Bible, different oils are used for different purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anointing

@ mazaje. The passage probably refers to anointing with Olive Oil. It contains an anti-inflammatory, kills bacteria and was widely used medicinally back then.
In fact, it's still used today as a house-hold remedy and can be used for treating burns, cuts and stings amongst other things.
Don't forget - back then, there were no hospitals. Home remedies were all they had.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/29941.php
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by chidichris(m): 9:51am On May 10, 2009
the key word here is faith. naaman the leper was asked to deep himself seven times which he did and got healed. if paryers with oil can heal, then prayers with oil can over heal.
remember, if God did not watch over the city, it is in vain that they that keep sleepless nights watching over the city.
and God said, without me you can do nothing.
death are reported even in the best hospitals in the world. today rich nigerians will be flown abroad upon the experience of the slightest headache and some of them come back in caskets.
we work by faith.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by spikedcylinder: 10:31am On May 10, 2009
For cooking.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by okgerald(m): 12:12pm On May 10, 2009
can it be used to fry dodo?
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by segyemaro(m): 3:30pm On May 10, 2009
Pls this is a serious issue.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by segyemaro(m): 12:02am On May 14, 2009
We are here to rub minds.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by SeanT21(f): 5:35am On May 14, 2009
My step dad used to rub anointing oil on our heads as a child.My last pastor used to do it also.Its just a holy oil.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by topeokunol: 6:45pm On May 14, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by kenny888: 6:20pm On May 17, 2009
ok.gerald:

can it be used to fry dodo?
did you say dodo?
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by marvisken: 4:09pm On May 18, 2009
anointing oil is to anoint leaders in the church
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by huxley2(m): 4:12pm On May 18, 2009
Also great fro making pancakes.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by eghosaobas: 7:04pm On May 18, 2009
huxley2:

are you serious?
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by segyemaro(m): 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2010
huxley2:

hahaha
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by nopuqeater: 3:36pm On Jun 29, 2010
@Bastage: « #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:00 AM »
Anointing is an ancient tradition, predating Judaism. In the Bible, different oils are used for different purposes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anointing
Thank you bastage. From the website, the following is what i found as some anointed oil is used on Jesus, by an "anonymous woman" seeming to apply it as a medicinal/healing purposed material. "Jesus was anointed with Power itself. God was pleased that Jesus should be His Son (Matthew 3:16){wishful thinking. is there a need for God to have a son? Who is His wife to bear Him a son? What purpose is the the son for? to kill him so that He can seve the world from hell? cant God just save world from the hell He created, without killing anyson? if God does not want any to go to hell, He would not have created it in the first place, and Adam and Eve would never have been sent out of the opposite of hell, paradise so that it is the individual's belief in God and obedience to Him and good work done for His pleasure that save, not the merciless slaughter of a man who didnt wish to die for no one, any way}, and Jesus {like every prophets, eg Moses},was the anointed of God.

So we can differentiate between the kind of power that the kings of Israel and the kind of Power that Jesus (The King of Israel) had – the difference is that the kings were anointed of a human high priest but The King was anointed of God Himself. The Gospels also state that he was physically "anointed" by an anonymous woman who is interpreted by some as Mary Magdalene; however, this anointing was not in the fashion described in Exodus,[citation needed] but rather an anointing done out of affection, which Jesus stated was to prepare him for his burial. The word Christ which is now used as though it were a surname is actually a title derived from the Greek Christos roughly meaning 'anointed' (creamy or greased would be more cognate as translations)." When i consider the bolded, i wonder if Jesus was alive when the woman anointed him with the oil? Would it not be a matter of delutional if he was already dead, beginning to rot that a person will put oil on a rotten dead body, or was he alive, conscious to the few close associates, hence they were applying medicine (Anointing oil) to nurse him on the way to complete recovery?

@ mazaje. The passage probably refers to anointing with Olive Oil. It contains an anti-inflammatory, kills bacteria and was widely used medicinally back then.
In fact, it's still used today as a house-hold remedy and can be used for treating burns, cuts and stings amongst other things.
Don't forget - back then, there were no hospitals. Home remedies were all they had.
You are correct, the reason they used it, on jesus who looked dead to his enemies because of their hatred of him, they didnt check his pulse long enough. But his followers realised and kept it as a secret among few of them since not all can be trusted, that he was still alive, breathing.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/29941.php
I appreciate your helping us out here.

@chidichris: « #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:51 AM »
the key word here is faith. naaman the leper was asked to deep himself seven times which he did and got healed. if paryers with oil can heal, then prayers with oil can over heal.
remember, if God did not watch over the city, it is in vain that they that keep sleepless nights watching over the city.
and God said, without me you can do nothing.
death are reported even in the best hospitals in the world. today rich nigerians will be flown abroad upon the experience of the slightest headache and some of them come back in caskets.
we work by faith.
The bolded did not tell us what the man dipped himself into? Water, oil, or just dipped into nothing at all as if stooping low?
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2010
Anointing oil is just the placebo miracle workers used in the past to enhance the beliefs of its followers, ceremonies, rites and rituals all serve one purpose, enchant the followers. It has not special effect, you can heal anyone without handkerchiefs, holy water or oil. faith has no physical amplifier.

Just false prophets and worldly thinking grin
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by vescucci(m): 12:59am On Jul 01, 2010
Even if you ask an alien he'd say "why, it's for anointing, duh"
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:45am On Jul 01, 2010
Annointing oil? That is a remnant pagan element that christiaity inherited from the Egyptian mystery school religions. 99.9% of christianity is pagan, btw.
Re: What Is Anointing Oil For? by vescucci(m): 2:22am On Jul 02, 2010
lol. Many pagan practices were wrapped around it to make it more palatable. Trouble is there is debate where paganism ends and Christianity begins. Calm down na lol.

(1) (Reply)

Abraham Zoe's Libary ''pastor Chris Message To Youths; Read & Be Inspired'' / Pastor Confesses"god Told Me To Insert Fingers Into Female Private? / Internet Vs Real Life; Closet Atheism.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.