Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello (26359 Views)

Ahmadu Bello Way, Abuja Was Shutdown To Watch Nigeria Vs Iceland / League Sx Fantasy Challenge For Nigeria Football Fans / The Dominance of European Football by Spanish Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Aegon(m): 4:29pm On Nov 09, 2015
Macelliot:

Do you know that no single Yoruba was among the squad that won the African cup of Nation (2012).. Only one Northerner(Ahmed Musa), while the rest were (SE/SS)...
The left back JUWON OSHANIWA is from where? Stop lying please. Igbo kwenu.

3 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by malton: 4:34pm On Nov 09, 2015
cool
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by cheruv: 4:40pm On Nov 09, 2015
All these stuffs especially eziachi's comment strengthened my belief in Biafra.
Igbos simply need to leave Nigeria and create a new heaven for themselves angry

6 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 09, 2015
ilekeh abi n'a ilekeHD has trespassed this thread. grin

4 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 09, 2015
basilo101:
The fear of Igbo domination has held this country backwards for so long. well, we igbos must uphold our cuture of meritocracy and competition, thats how we overtake those who got everything on platter of gold
Go back 2 biafra
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by PhockPhockMan: 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2015
tupacshakur:

Nigger, Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2012 AFCON tournament.

For the 2013 tournament, Juwon Oshaniwa was a second-half substitute in the final match against Burkina faso . He replaced Elderson Echiejile.
You're correct, but that player na total misfit.

7 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aegon:
The left back JUWON OSHANIWA is from where? Stop lying please. Igbo kwenu.
notherners made up d team including victor moses
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by ahaz: 5:14pm On Nov 09, 2015
tupacshakur:
The Naij editor is, no doubt, on point. The Igbos dominate when it comes to Nigerian football.

Meanwhile, the present female African footballer of the year, Asisat Oshoala is Yoruba.

Nigeria's leading all-time goal scorer is Rasheed Yekini, followed by Segun Odegbami. They are both Yorubas.

Yorubas sef dey try! grin

ok o
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Eziachi: 5:43pm On Nov 09, 2015
gbosaa:

Talking about boxing and being huge fan, maybe I should open a thread so I can praise and let people appreciate the warrior exploit of my Yoruba friends in the boxing ring.

The next big thing Anthony Femi Joshua is Yoruba.

Lateef Kayode who until last week was undefeated in the heavy weight category is Yoruba. He got his a**e whooped though in Russia by Levedev, the guy who nearly killed one of my all time favourite boxers.Roy Jones Junior.

Then you have Olarewaju Durodola aka Gods power. I watched his fight against South African Mchunu who was much shorter and lost....but he went to Russia against all odds...Knocked out previously unbeaten cruiser weight champion Dmitry Kudryashov in round two and one of my favourites of boxers Ola Afolabi also knocked out Rakhim Chakhkiev in round five.

Ola Afolabi by the way never had an amateur career unlike Lateef and Durodola who represented Nigeria in the past.

Not forgetting Segun Ajose who is doing well, I think he won gold in one all African games before moving to the UK.

Henry Akinwande...

There's another Naija/polish guy kicking azzes at the moment. He had an ufc/MMA career before going into boxing...his name...Izuagbe Ugonoh...I think his parents might be from Niger delta.
What s stopping you, when you have just did.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 6:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
I think if other Nigerians are giving the chance to play for the national team regardless of their tribes, they will play better and even dominate the national team. Why were the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, David Alaba, Ross Barkley, Dele Ali, Sam Sidney etcetera never giving the opportunity/chance to play for the national team? and don't forget Isaac Success( Granada) Dominic Solanke of Chelsea on loan to Vitesse, Tiago Ilori of Liverpool on loan to Aston villa, Micheal Olaitan (Fc Twenty), Abdul Ajagun(Panatiokos), Gbenga Arokoyo, Sam Ameobi Newcastle etcetera are still playing regularly and performing very well for their various clubs but why are they still not giving the chance to play in the national team.

Eccl 9:11 The race is not to the swift....nor yet favour to men of skill. but time and chance happen to them all.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by AlPeter: 6:22pm On Nov 09, 2015
To a football Lover like me this Observation is wrong...... The Yorubas have Produced more Football greats in Nigerians than the Ibos even Delta and Edo state together adds more in Nigerian sports than them.
This article is wrong and should be condemned because it kindle the fire of tribalism......

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 09, 2015
Give me a yoruba footballer dead or alive who is greater than Kanu Nwankwo and Jay Jay Okocha
AlPeter:
To a football Lover like me this Observation is wrong...... The Yorubas have Produced more Football greats in Nigerians than the Ibos even Delta and Edo state together adds more in Nigerian sports than them.
This article is wrong and should be condemned because it kindle the fire of tribalism......

9 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 09, 2015
There is this thing about Igbos, in every tournament we keep producing star players Kanu, Jay Jay, 2001 Victor brown, 2005 Mikel, 2013 Kelechi Iheanacho and Chidiebere Nwakali,2015 Kelechi Nwakali. Once an Igbo star player is about fizzling out (form dwindling) another one surfaces.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Babacele: 6:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
tupacshakur:

Guy, suffry dey lie na! grin

Analyse that your post again and give yourself a knock on the head.

Are you trying to say 8 out of every 10 black NBA players are Igbos? Then the likes of Kobe, Wade, Curry, James are most likely Igbos. grin

even Hakeem olajuwon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Foxflames: 6:50pm On Nov 09, 2015
"It can be attributed to a number of reasons: physical prowess, as they’re genetically sturdier than the other tribes"

I do not agree with the above statement. She has no scientific proof to back up that statement.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 6:54pm On Nov 09, 2015
AlPeter:
Sorry! The article was written by a fellow non-sentimental Yoruba...
The article refered to "tribe" and not "states"...

8 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 6:56pm On Nov 09, 2015
Largas:
ilekeh abi n'a ilekeHD has trespassed this thread. grin

ilekeHD and coolitempa suddenly became guest... #Onelove...

Lalasticlala...

7 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by bukifemi1: 7:03pm On Nov 09, 2015
Igbo did it again yesterday's under 17 win cool

4 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerKaiser: 7:05pm On Nov 09, 2015
It is not surprising at all. Growing up in Enugu, kids as young as 6 years old have already started playing "monkey post" at such tender age.

The early teenagers among them often engage in intense street football where one would be in awe at the exhibition of pure football skills.

Should I also mention the stiff academic football competitions that get organised between schools every term.

Who can forget the infamous football rivalry between C.I.C and Nike Boys, Enugu where each school keeps dishing out skilled players after skilled players.

It is a natural calling for most Igbo youth.

The best among them do not even venture into footballing but move on to other live endeavours.

4 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 7:06pm On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD and Coolitempa suddenly became guests..

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by obiorathesubtle: 7:27pm On Nov 09, 2015
Macelliot:
Aderonke Bello, an associate editor with Naij.com and a sports blogger, draws public attention to the dominance of Igbo footbal players in the Nigerian national teams. Aderonke names the reasons for this tribe’s love of football and explains why some football scouts prefer to engage a player from the Igbo tribe over any other tribe.

https://www.naij.com/630823-dominance-igbo-tribe-nigerian-football.html
I could kiss you right now!

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 7:31pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lalasticlala
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 09, 2015
Tolatutu:
you see the difference between tribes, if it was another tribe that was majority in the super eagles those who like crying marginalization will be making noise and telling us it must be due to nepotism . Whereas other tribes are not whining now
that's Igbo for you ..

If its Hausa dominating football now, you will start hearing stuff like na only Hausa sabi play football? Give us Biafra this marginalization too much , ewu hausa want to dominate everything ... But now that is favoring them, its a welcome development... Awon werey ...
That's how their fore fathers started one Nigeria to dominate everyone only for table to turn and they started shouting Biafra..
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by caprini1: 8:01pm On Nov 09, 2015
Yes, ibos are very good ballers,but when other tribes decides to take football very serious,they do it better....and please i am onye igbo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by SonOfEl(m): 8:05pm On Nov 09, 2015
caprini1:
Yes, ibos are very good ballers,but when other tribes decides to take football very serious,they do it better....and please i am onye igbo.

They do it "better" as how? Mtchewwwww......

3 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by ikechu1278: 8:11pm On Nov 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:

In all honesty, most Yoruba's aren't typically blinded by ethnic sentiments.

Well then, the yolobas on this website must not be yolobas then

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by caprini1: 8:15pm On Nov 09, 2015
SonOfEl:

They do it "better" as how? Mtchewwwww......
Ok ..let me give u an example from the last U17 games.Bamgboye,does the dirty work for Osimhen to shine,but he so unserious and very indisciplined,got sent off twice,one for deliberate hand ball,why?.But Amunike knows he has the skills and techniques,lacking,is just for him to be serious.At the final game this morning,what else can i say,you saw what he did and how he closed the game for us,with that superb second goal,after many talking sessions with Amunike before the final game.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by obiorathesubtle: 8:22pm On Nov 09, 2015
ThisMeansWars:
that's Igbo for you ..

If its Hausa dominating football now, you will start hearing stuff like na only Hausa sabi play football? Give us Biafra this marginalization too much , ewu hausa want to dominate everything ... But now that is favoring them, its a welcome development... Awon werey ...
That's how their fore fathers started one Nigeria to dominate everyone only for table to turn and they started shouting Biafra..
if you have a problem with Igbos, pick a river, jump inside and remain there! Why this jealousy?? Ooh, when vincent retired, who dem suppose give captain! Mikel of course. But they give it to that aboki. Did any Igbo complain? Now you're here talking gibberish! Smh

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 09, 2015
omolesaa, your take
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 09, 2015
I honestly hope guys like Osimhen, Ighalo and some other non Igbos break out big time in international football. Maybe then, these Igbo chest beaters can stop saying that they're the dominant force in football.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 9:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
aim5:
I honestly hope guys like Osimhen, Ighalo and some other non Igbos break out big time in international football. Maybe then, these Igbo chest beaters can stop saying that they're the dominant force in football.

Sorry to dissapoint you, the writer of the article is Yoruba.

Can a Yoruba differentiate between a S-Easterner and a S-southerner? Apart from that, what she said is absolutely true...

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mia & Ava Mikel Obi In New PhotosMikel Obi's Grown Twin Daughters / China Bans Footballers From Getting Tattoos / Ashleigh Plumptre: Leicester City Women's Star Keen On Playing For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.