Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello (26342 Views)

Ahmadu Bello Way, Abuja Was Shutdown To Watch Nigeria Vs Iceland / League Sx Fantasy Challenge For Nigeria Football Fans / The Dominance of European Football by Spanish Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 11, 2015
Eziachi:
Why would I bother with the likes of you. My time worth something.

It's true. You're just too proud to admit that Nigerian players have accomplished just as much if not more than Igbos.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by theDEVILisHERE: 4:59am On Nov 11, 2015
OrigamiIII:

No need anymore for this type of comments. Lets be very decent and polite with our tribal comments. Igbos and yorubas are the closest of the three big tribes in this country.

This is not true
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by theDEVILisHERE: 5:12am On Nov 11, 2015
DerKaiser:
It is not surprising at all. Growing up in Enugu, kids as young as 6 years old have already started playing "monkey post" at such tender age.

The early teenagers among them often engage in intense street football where one would be in awe at the exhibition of pure football skills.

Should I also mention the stiff academic football competitions that get organised between schools every term.

Who can forget the infamous football rivalry between C.I.C and Nike Boys, Enugu where each school keeps dishing out skilled players after skilled players.

It is a natural calling for most Igbo youth.

The best among them do not even venture into footballing but move on to other live endeavours.

Your last sentence
Very true
A guy I know who ended up working in one paint factery and later into his own business has the touch and skill on the ball that will put the skills of messi, C Ronaldo and even ronaldinho and okocha to shame

This is no joke

He had to abandon football so as to take care of his family (he's the breadwinner)
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by caprini1: 5:47am On Nov 11, 2015
ofenmanucom:
Onye Igbo.... Please give us an example to buttress your point. Shame on you if you don't.
Na today,you just by MB? MTCHEEEEEEW.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by nafiachi(m): 6:22am On Nov 11, 2015
You may be correct in your assessment but then we all know there is always another side to a coin.
As a Northerner growing up in a predominantly southern environment I may not agree to your assessment, the best footballers in this country DONT PLAY FOOTBALL, Yes, because football is a game that has so much passion in it, Nigerian football has lost that today because every Tom dick and Harry wants to play, and no one is better at being desperate like the Igbo's, yes we may call it being enterprising etc, but the problem I have noticed in that is how they collectively frustrate others while u r in their mist, I have trained to many times with teams on the street because of my love for the game and I can sense the disdain from the Igbo group, always trying to down your spirit, even when u r Far far better than them.
Don't get me wrong we've had outstanding players from them, but just as the Late Sardauna said "they will do anything to dominate you, even in areas u r better than them", I have seen players better than mikel obi right from his Pepsi academy days, and this is all over the country, but because other tribes have other qualities instilled in them from childhood, they tend to allow this things go.
On the aspect of scouting we all know that we don't have quality scouts in Nigeria, all they are after is how many biceps u have (advantage Igbo) and that is why today skillful players are lacking in Nigeria.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by SonOfEl(m): 6:49am On Nov 11, 2015
OrigamiIII:

No need anymore for this type of comments. Lets be very decent and polite with our tribal comments. Igbos and yorubas are the closest of the three big tribes in this country.

An not referring to the decent, intelligent and unbiased yorubas, I sure know quite a good number of them even in nairaland, I am referring to some worms among them....

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by SonOfEl(m): 6:52am On Nov 11, 2015
nafiachi:
You may be correct in your assessment but then we all know there is always another side to a coin.
As a Northerner growing up in a predominantly southern environment I may not agree to your assessment, the best footballers in this country DONT PLAY FOOTBALL, Yes, because football is a game that has so much passion in it, Nigerian football has lost that today because every Tom dick and Harry wants to play, and no one is better at being desperate like the Igbo's, yes we may call it being enterprising etc, but the problem I have noticed in that is how they collectively frustrate others while u r in their mist, I have trained to many times with teams on the street because of my love for the game and I can sense the disdain from the Igbo group, always trying to down your spirit, even when u r Far far better than them.
Don't get me wrong we've had outstanding players from them, but just as the Late Sardauna said "they will do anything to dominate you, even in areas u r better than them", I have seen players better than mikel obi right from his Pepsi academy days, and this is all over the country, but because other tribes have other qualities instilled in them from childhood, they tend to allow this things go.
On the aspect of scouting we all know that we don't have quality scouts in Nigeria, all they are after is how many biceps u have (advantage Igbo) and that is why today skillful players are lacking in Nigeria.

these is an example of the people am referring to - federal character opportunists.

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by SonOfEl(m): 6:54am On Nov 11, 2015
aim5:

It's true. You're just too proud to admit that Nigerian players have accomplished just as much if not more than Igbos.

Origamill, these are the ones I was referring to.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by SonOfEl(m): 6:56am On Nov 11, 2015
ThisMeansWars:
mumu ... Its yib.oes that have problem with everyone ... Is Ahmed musa not more patriotic and consistent than Mikel ? Who deserves the captain band more? But then it must be Igbo ... Fhucking flatrons ..

Origamill, these bulala is another shining example of what I posted earlier
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by M4gunners: 6:56am On Nov 11, 2015
If all of you agreed on this, tell me why we will no succeed they gave us biafra.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by nafiachi(m): 7:52am On Nov 11, 2015
SonOfEl:

these is an example of the people am referring to - federal character opportunists.

Federal Xter, didn't even mention that in my assessment, well guess that is the only thing bothering you I guess, that's why the foolish clamour for Biafra, I don't know who u'll want to compete with when it all an Igbo affair, guess u r blind on that as well.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 8:29am On Nov 11, 2015
The most successful Nigerian teams always have/had a significant proportion of igbos therein
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by SonOfEl(m): 8:50am On Nov 11, 2015
nafiachi:

Federal Xter, didn't even mention that in my assessment, well guess that is the only thing bothering you I guess, that's why the foolish clamour for Biafra, I don't know who u'll want to compete with when it all an Igbo affair, guess u r blind on that as well.

You don't need to bother OK? By the way, IGBOS compete amongst ourselves....so keep your worries...

3 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by hensben(m): 9:24am On Nov 11, 2015
obiorathesubtle:
if you have a problem with Igbos, pick a river, jump inside and remain there! Why this jealousy?? Ooh, when vincent retired, who dem suppose give captain! Mikel of course. But they give it to that aboki. Did any Igbo complain? Now you're here talking gibberish! Smh
Mikel rejected captain arm band, he even said it. I'm from SS but that lady you quoted is right about the Igbos. You guys are self centered, you are happy when things go your way and term others "lazy" that's the reason they are not doing well in that same field. Igbos never care about others feelings as far as things are going their way. But immediately Hausa or Yoruba dominate same thing Igbos dominated through calculation and hard work you cry marginalization and start agitating for Biafra. You guys ought to know this by now that nothing last forever. Look at Spanish team that won World Cup, they were mostly from barcelona football club academics and that's how Real Madrid academics will dominate in the future like in the past of Raul and co. Variety is the spice of life.

3 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 11, 2015
Which tide is changing? Is there a footballer of nigerian origin who has achieved half what Mikel has? Igbos still holds the mantle till tomorrow
aim5:

I could care less if a Yoruba person can differentiate between SE and SS. Also, I'll admit that historically Igbos have had greats like Okocha and Kanu, but now the tide is changing and you all can no longer claim you're the best.

3 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 11, 2015
Who ask you this junk? Do you know how many yorubas that kanu assisted through his heart foundation? Days ago paul okoye paid for little eniola's surgery in india, peace airline is managed by yoruba man, a yoruba man is also the human resource manager, your statement is out of place
OrigamiIII:

Yorubas were never blinded by sentiments ab initio towards the igbos untill politics and political comments drove a wedge between us. Most of us have a very strong bond with the igbo tribe. Majority of my childhood friends were igbos. We interchanged holidays at each others residences. Our parents took us as one. At the University all my closest friends and room mates were igbos. We lived like brothers. All my life, 98% of my female friends were of the igbo extraction. Majority of my staff here in abuja were all igbos and I loved them all. Never allowed them to lack a thing in their attempt to settle down in the FCT.
My darling wife is from ihiala in imo state. We have 3-brilliant kids. I have 2-of their igbo uncles living with me. They are wonderful folks. I put them first in everything because they always put my family interest first even above theirs.
As you can see, nairaland tribal hatred comments is threatening to hamper all of these cherished bonds.
GEJ did quite a whole lot of damage particularly during the Anambra governorship campaign/elections. Well, all that is in the past now.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by nafiachi(m): 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2015
SonOfEl:

You don't need to bother OK? By the way, IGBOS compete amongst ourselves....so keep your worries...

Guy do I sound bothered? Abeg grow up, u need it, I guess it's an Igbo thing to be like that.
Grow Up
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by OrigamiIII: 2:51pm On Nov 11, 2015
SonOfEl:

Origamill, these are the ones I was referring to.

Fed up with all the fights and bickering.
I believe the degree of life exposures matters.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by OrigamiIII: 3:05pm On Nov 11, 2015
DikeOha882:
Who ask you this junk? Do you know how many yorubas that kanu assisted through his heart foundation? Days ago paul okoye paid for little eniola's surgery in india, peace airline is managed by yoruba man, a yoruba man is also the human resource manager, your statement is out of place

Bros, e like say me and you go try meet make I gather you flog well till you retract this your hostile statement towards me. Wetin I do you?
You no dey tire?
My situation is different from the employees you mentioned. Mine has to do with flesh and blood relationship.
If una like make una fight to finish. Me and my family go abandon this country for una.
Every human has a sacred right to aspire onto self-determination which should never be denied. However, let us be at peace with all men.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
This is the joke of the century, if u see me,come see say I be bros nko? No dey threaten me o, I be onye isi nkuka o, as for living in peace,I advocate for that but I dont like cheating,we will always revolt when being cheated. Igbos are not trouble makers and that is one of the reason u married their ada which I believe is giving u peaceful mind
OrigamiIII:

Bros, e like say me and you go try meet make I gather you flog well till you retract this your hostile statement towards me. Wetin I do you?
You no dey tire?
My situation is different from the employees you mentioned. Mine has to do with flesh and blood relationship.
If una like make una fight to finish. Me and my family go abandon this country for una.
Every human has a sacred right to aspire onto self-determination which should never be denied. However, let us be at peace with all men.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by maestroferddi: 4:28pm On Nov 11, 2015
AlPeter:
To a football Lover like me this Observation is wrong...... The Yorubas have Produced more Football greats in Nigerians than the Ibos even Delta and Edo state together adds more in Nigerian sports than them.
This article is wrong and should be condemned because it kindle the fire of tribalism......
It might interest you to note that three of the greatest footballers ever to come out of Nigeria are all Igbos.

1. Kanu Nwankwo: Nigeria's most successful/decorated player of all time. Voted 13th in Arsenal's greatest players of all time.

2. Jay Jay Okocha: Included in the oft-referenced Pele's "100 Greatest Living Footballers". Easily one of the best talents ever to have come out of the African continent.

3. Mikel Obi: While Mikel may divide opinion, the fact is that his achievements speak for themselves: serial English Premier League winner; a UEFA Europa and Champions League winner; an African Cup of Nations winner and other accomplishments.

Suffices to state that the Igbos are natural sports people.

Come to the work out circuit of a place like National Stadium, Lagos and you will see that more than 70% of the participants are Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by pazienza(m): 5:04pm On Nov 11, 2015
FisifunKododada:
cool

Madam, FOOTBALL? Not so fast. Lets look at the facts.
Before Okwaraji or even Christian Chukwu there was Thunder Balogun

A. Based on number of goals - who are the top Nigerian strikers?
1. Rashidi Yekini
2. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
3. Obafemi Martins
4. Ikechukwu Uche
grin So Igbo guy comes at No.4 - so tell me why shouldn't the tribes of No.1, 2, and 3 BEAT their chest? grin

By the way where is Emenike? Was he not suppose to surpass Yekini's record? He has not even reached Martins record not to talk of Yakubu's. grin Don't get me wrong. Emenike is a good player and Igbos can brag about him all the want. However, he seems not to have the prolific staying power of either Yekini, Yakubu and Martins. Yekini's goals (single handedly) took Nigeria to her FIRST World Cup - maybe his tribe should start beating their chest too grin

B. Based on stats and achievements best goalkeepers:
1. Vincent Enyeama.
2. Ike Shorunmu.
3. Peter Rufai.
grin Again, no Igbo guy here - why are the tribes of these people not beating their chest and claiming to control Nigerian football? grin
What about the worst goalkeeper of the last 2 decades - Mr. Chigozie Agbim? grin Who wants to brag about Agbim?

C. First Nigerian goal at the world cup scored by Rashidi Yekini

D. Best winger of the last 40 years is Finidi George.

E. Best aerial ball player EVER in Nigerian history - Mutiu Adepoju.

None of these 3 guys are Igbos.

F. Nigeria's last world cup Goal scorers.
1. Ahmed Musa
2. Osaze

G. Recording breaking U17 goal scorer (2015): Victor Osimihen is NOT Igbo. He is a Bini boy.

None of these guys are Igbos.

H. Now to be fair lets look at a possible state where Igbos can beat their chest.
1. Mikel Obi is the most successful Nigerian player in European football by far. He is Igbo so Igbos can beat their chest here grin
2. He is closely followed by Nwankwo Kanu (Papillo - one of my favorite players grin).
3.Okocha (Anioma man but he has never denied being Igbo) is one player the Igbos may brag about any day any time until he denies being Igbo . grin
4. Key players at the last won nations cup
1. Emenike -Igbo
2. Sunday Mba - Igbo
3. Victor Moses - Bini
4. Enyeama - Ibibio
5. Onazi - Igalla (Benue for sure)
So 1 and 2 are Igbos so Igbo can brag here. grin

H. Sunday Oliseh is arguably one of the best midfielders of all time - but we just learnt he is NOT Igbo so the Igbos can't brag about him. grin

Now here is my point: The success of Nigerian football cannot be attributed to one tribe. Players from so many tribes have contributed to bring glory to the country. Tribal chest beaters are not needed in our football, they are toxic and are totally unhelpful. And I will continue to lamblast them wherever they poke their ugly heads grin

Trash.

Kanu Nwankwor, Jay Jay Okocha, Mikel Obi remain the holy trinity!

Who is Yekini? Local champion when Emmanuel Amunike was busy playing with Ronaldo delima at Barcelona.

Mutiu adepoju? Say what? Is that a name of a person, animal, place or thing? *grins*

Nigerian team that won the 2012 AFCON, Mikel Obi, Emenike, Mba and Enyeama were the key men, That's 3/4 for Ndiigbo.

Currently, Iheanacho is Nigeria's brightest prospect, and even in the just concluded U17 world cup, Kelechi Nwakali and not Osimhen was the MVP, he is the numero uno, just like Iheanacho is, and likely to be the one to go farther in future, just as Iheanacho had eclipsed the Oduanistan Awoniyi and the Edoid Isaac success.

If you are waiting for Okocha to deny his Igbo identity, then you are on a long thing. Okocha is an Enu ani man, not an Ika or Ukwuani. Enu ani people are violently Igbotic *grins, they don't joke with their Igbo identity.

4 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 5:17pm On Nov 11, 2015
DikeOha882:
Which tide is changing? Is there a footballer of nigerian origin who has achieved half what Mikel has? Igbos still holds the mantle till tomorrow

David Alaba
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by pazienza(m): 5:28pm On Nov 11, 2015
forgiveness:

David Alaba

Alaba is of Austrian origin, not Nigerian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Alaba

Maybe when Yorubas achieve Arewa-Oduanistan, Alaba could be said to be of Arewa-Oduanista origin, seeing as he has Yoruba father and Filipino mother.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by OrigamiIII: 5:48pm On Nov 11, 2015
DikeOha882:
This is the joke of the century, if u see me,come see say I be bros nko? No dey threaten me o, I be onye isi nkuka o, as for living in peace,I advocate for that but I dont like cheating,we will always revolt when being cheated. Igbos are not trouble makers and that is one of the reason u married their ada which I believe is giving u peaceful mind

My wife is the best thing to have happened to me. Lovely and a stabilizing factor for me physically and spiritually. She's brighter than the yellow sun.
Anyway, for my place, we no dey fight in-laws. You be my in-law, no shaking.
I have do a lot of igbos good, so also have enjoyed a lot of good from igbos be it in Abuja, PH, Lagos, Owerri or anywhere we meet in the world. Lets remain peaceful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2015
pazienza:

Alaba is of Austrian origin, not Nigerian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Alaba

Maybe when Yorubas achieve Arewa-Oduanistan, Alaba could be said to be of Arewa-Oduanista origin, seeing as he has Yoruba father and Filipino mother.

@ bold says it all. but what says Nigerian constitution?

We know why he was never giving the opportunity to play for his fathers land even when he begged for it, but today he is the best Nigerian player in the European league for now.
Not bench warmer.

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 11, 2015
That plays for nigeria? Besides how many laurel does alaba have
forgiveness:

David Alaba
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2015
DikeOha882:

@bold is the question. and the answers is David Alaba. he don even pass am.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2015
You misunderstood me, I meant current nigerian players, ok let's assume that you include alaba, how many trophies did alaba win
forgiveness:

@bold is the question. and the answers is David Alaba. he don even pass am.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by AlPeter: 6:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
maestroferddi:
It might interest you to note that three of the greatest footballers ever to come out of Nigeria are all Igbos.

1. Kanu Nwankwo: Nigeria's most successful/decorated player of all time. Voted 13th in Arsenal's greatest players of all time.

2. Jay Jay Okocha: Included in the oft-referenced Pele's "100 Greatest Living Footballers". Easily one of the best talents ever to have come out of the African continent.

3. Mikel Obi: While Mikel may divide opinion, the fact is that his achievements speak for themselves: serial English Premier League winner; a UEFA Europa and Champions League winner; an African Cup of Nations winner and other accomplishments.

Suffices to state that the Igbos are natural sports people.

Come to the work out circuit of a place like National Stadium, Lagos and you will see that more than 70% of the participants are Igbos.

first OFF Jayjay is from Delta State too, Odegbami and Rashidi Yekini are Yorubas and have more recognition both locally and internationally than almost all the Ibos footballlers. Lastly don't ever put that clown Mikel amongst Nigeria's great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
Good to know that she is the best that happen to you, since your sojourn with the Igbos, have you been physically attacked? Igbos are nwata n'acho nke ya, we are peaceful people that holds the sanctity of human life dear. We deserve more than what we are getting. Just check out all the geopolitical zones, Its only the southeast that has 95 LGAs, least senators,least governors, least local govt chairmen, least house of rep members,least ministers,least allocation, if not for the dodgednes of the Igbos, our states would have been like a war torn states
OrigamiIII:

My wife is the best thing to have happened to me. Lovely and a stabilizing factor for me physically and spiritually. She's brighter than the yellow sun.
Anyway, for my place, we no dey fight in-laws. You be my in-law, no shaking.
I have do a lot of igbos good, so also have enjoyed a lot of good from igbos be it in Abuja, PH, Lagos, Owerri or anywhere we meet in the world. Lets remain peaceful.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 11, 2015
Your comment is pathetic, what did odegbami and yekini won that Mikel did not win? Mikel is greated than them put together. Recognise ko decognise ni
AlPeter:

first OFF Jayjay is from Delta State too, Odegbami and Rashidi Yekini are Yorubas and have more recognition both locally and internationally than almost all the Ibos footballlers. Lastly don't ever put that clown Mikel amongst Nigeria's great

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sir Ferguson's Man United 2007/08 Team Voted Premier League's Greatest Ever / Solskjaer Unhappy With Man Utd Board For Not Granting His Request / Tammy Abraham Snubs Nigeria, Accepts Call Up To Play For England

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.