Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello (26346 Views)

Ahmadu Bello Way, Abuja Was Shutdown To Watch Nigeria Vs Iceland / League Sx Fantasy Challenge For Nigeria Football Fans / The Dominance of European Football by Spanish Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 9:36am On Jan 22, 2016
P0intBlank:

I just saw this. Didn't get any notification. Thanks for d response. I'll respond over d weekend. Hope ur week has been good. Take care

Oh I see. I will be expecting your response. Yeah! Hope yours been good too. Thanks
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by P0intBlank(m): 12:56am On Jan 24, 2016
forgiveness:

Oh I see. I will be expecting your response. Yeah! Hope yours been good too. Thanks

Thanks, mine was good.

1) pls, prove it with facts.

CAF TEAM OF TOURNAMENT (Nigerians Only)

1976 Haruna Ilerika, Kunle Awesu
1978 Segun Odegbami,
1980 Christian Chukwu, Segun Odegbami, Best Ogedegbe
1982 Nil
1984 Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, Clement Temile
1988 Henry Nwosu
1990 Moses Kpakor
1992 Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, Rashidi Yekini
1994 Benedict Iroha, Austin J. J. Okocha, Daniel Amokachi, Rashidi Yekini
2000 Austin J. J. Okocha,
2002 Taribo West, Ifeanyi Udeze, Julius Aghahowa
2004 Austin J. J. Okocha, John Utaka
2006 Taye Taiwo
2008 Nil
2010 Peter Odemwinge
2013 Vincent Enyeama, Efe Ambrose, John Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Emmanuel Emenike

2) “It doesn’t matter. The title of the thread talks about dominance. So, they dominated the team and you forgot to tell us that they won their first medal(Bronze) in 1976 without 1 single igbo. That's all. Remember, we should have won it but because the referee was bribed we lost. After, investigation the referee was suspended for been bribed.”

- @Bolded Either admit you made a mistake or prove this

P.S. Between 1974-1977, Rangers (League champions: 1974, 1975, 1977 and FA CUP Winners: 1974, 1975, 1976) was the strongest team in the country. Do u suppose that Father Tiko would not have included players from this team in his 1976 squad.

3)” Those three years we won the Nations cup trophies, did Igbo's single handedly won us the trophies? And since, you included under age 1996 team, I will take you back to 1985 under 16.

How many Igbo's took part in that first FIFA trophy? 1 (don't bother to count Nduka Ugbade because he is not Igbo).

How many Igbo's were there in 1993 FIFA U17 World Cup? 5

How many Igbo's were part of 2007 FIFA U17 World Cup? 1 or 2

How many Igbo's were part of the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup?
Only 4”

-Igbos have never single handedly won any trophy for Nigeria. I have never used that term. U were the one that used that term when u said Yekini single handedly qualified Nigeria to her first world cup. Football is a team event, hence, nobody can single handedly win a tournament. That said, he was our best player in 1993 (scoring 4 of the 10 goals we scored in last qualifying round).

A little correction

Japan 1993 had at least 6 Igbos: Mobi Oparaku, Pascal Ojigwe, Kanu Nwankwo, Peter Anosike, Eloka Asokuh, Blessing Anyanwu. If you include Emmanuel and Celestine Babayaro whose parents are from Imo State (Actual surname is Iwuoha that’s 8 out of 18 players). So it wasn’t only 2015 they dominated.

4) “Oh I see, I thought Adiele and Opala were not Igbo's. Sorry, my mistake. However, there are 7 Yorubas on the list. Shefiu was included on the list but i don't think he is Yoruba hence i excluded him for the list. Best Ogedegbe, Muda Lawal, Segun Odegbami, Felix Owolabi, Tunde Bamidele, John Orlando and Martins Eyo.
However, Ogedegbe is not from Warri, he is from Edo(Yoruba speaking part. Not too sure but his name sounds Yoruba). Even, if i exclude him Yorubas will be 6.

Starting 11: Best, Tunde, Isima, Chukwu, Atuegbu, Owolabi, Lawal, Odegbami, Odiye, Adokie, Adiele.

This is the starting line up of the Finals.”

-Shefiu Mohammed is from Ghana while John Orlando has a Ghanaian Father and an Igbo Mother.

Best Ogedegbe is from Delta. See links
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/mr-universe-to-visit-nigeria-in-2014/
http://www.nigeria70.com/nigerian_news_paper/ogedengbe_family_seeks_delta_govt_attention/387563

That makes it a total of 5 Yorubas. So the claim of 5-7 Yorubas in the starting 11 wasn’t correct

5) “http://ameyawdebrah.com/photos-samsung-presents-fair-play-prizes-dede-ayew-others-orange-african-cup-nations-2015/

Maybe this will help. It's awarded to the most skillful and talented player of the tournament. So, Victor Moses remains our best player in 2013 Africa nations cup while Rasheed Yekini remains our best player in 1994.”

-I agree totally with you on Yekini.

-I read the link you suggested. Below are excerpts from the aforesaid article:

“These games are intense and exciting, but there is more to the game than just winning and getting a ball into the net. Teams and players that plays hard, but FAIR, always win the hearts and minds of spectators,” says Mr. George Ferreira, Samsung Africa VP and COO

“The competition is fierce on the field and Samsung is proud to be associated with encouraging high levels of FAIRNESS during the games. It has been great to see so many top players doing so well and winning these prizes,” says Mr. Amr Shaheen, CAF Marketing & TV Director.

Please see the words in Uppercase (FAIR and FAIRNESS). That’s what the award emphasizes or encourages. CAF has 4 sponsors handling different awards: one for fair play (Samsung), one for best player (Orange), one for best goal (Nissan), One for Highest Goal Scorer (Pepsi). Why would CAF want to have 2 parallel awards? That would be confusion.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by P0intBlank(m): 2:11am On Jan 24, 2016
forgiveness:

I still have a whole lot to say; I'm tempted to continue. However, I'm beginning to question why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm not sure this type of argument fosters unity. At this juncture, maybe the right thing is to stop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by akigbemaru: 7:08pm On Mar 06, 2016
The domance
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by tck2000(m): 2:01pm On Jun 08, 2019
Tribal war can't solve your problem.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by AlexBells(m): 5:03pm On Sep 20, 2020
Let's bring back the war........
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 8:47pm On Sep 20, 2020
Sweetguy25:

In all honesty, most Yoruba's aren't typically blinded by ethnic sentiments.

Please change most to few.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 8:49pm On Sep 20, 2020
I must confess though few Yoruba chaps can soccer.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 9:06pm On Sep 20, 2020
FisifunKododada:
cool

Madam, FOOTBALL? Not so fast. Lets look at the facts.
Before Okwaraji or even Christian Chukwu there was Thunder Balogun

A. Based on number of goals - who are the top Nigerian strikers?
1. Rashidi Yekini
2. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
3. Obafemi Martins
4. Ikechukwu Uche
grin So Igbo guy comes at No.4 - so tell me why shouldn't the tribes of No.1, 2, and 3 BEAT their chest? grin

By the way where is Emenike? Was he not suppose to surpass Yekini's record? He has not even reached Martins record not to talk of Yakubu's. grin Don't get me wrong. Emenike is a good player and Igbos can brag about him all the want. However, he seems not to have the prolific staying power of either Yekini, Yakubu and Martins. Yekini's goals (single handedly) took Nigeria to her FIRST World Cup - maybe his tribe should start beating their chest too grin

B. Based on stats and achievements best goalkeepers:
1. Vincent Enyeama.
2. Ike Shorunmu.
3. Peter Rufai.
grin Again, no Igbo guy here - why are the tribes of these people not beating their chest and claiming to control Nigerian football? grin
What about the worst goalkeeper of the last 2 decades - Mr. Chigozie Agbim? grin Who wants to brag about Agbim?

C. First Nigerian goal at the world cup scored by Rashidi Yekini

D. Best winger of the last 40 years is Finidi George.

E. Best aerial ball player EVER in Nigerian history - Mutiu Adepoju.

None of these 3 guys are Igbos.

F. Nigeria's last world cup Goal scorers.
1. Ahmed Musa
2. Osaze

G. Recording breaking U17 goal scorer (2015): Victor Osimihen is NOT Igbo. He is a Bini boy.

None of these guys are Igbos.

H. Now to be fair lets look at a possible state where Igbos can beat their chest.
1. Mikel Obi is the most successful Nigerian player in European football by far. He is Igbo so Igbos can beat their chest here grin
2. He is closely followed by Nwankwo Kanu (Papillo - one of my favorite players grin).
3.Okocha (Anioma man but he has never denied being Igbo) is one player the Igbos may brag about any day any time until he denies being Igbo . grin
4. Key players at the last won nations cup
1. Emenike -Igbo
2. Sunday Mba - Igbo
3. Victor Moses - Bini
4. Enyeama - Ibibio
5. Onazi - Igalla (Benue for sure)
So 1 and 2 are Igbos so Igbo can brag here. grin

H. Sunday Oliseh is arguably one of the best midfielders of all time - but we just learnt he is NOT Igbo so the Igbos can't brag about him. grin

Now here is my point: The success of Nigerian football cannot be attributed to one tribe. Players from so many tribes have contributed to bring glory to the country. Tribal chest beaters are not needed in our football, they are toxic and are totally unhelpful. And I will continue to lamblast them wherever they poke their ugly heads grin

In your silly and illogical statistics, you forgot to add the first to touch the ball at the center circle at the world cup. If Igbo chaps were scanty as the above crap suggested, this argument will never hold.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 9:17pm On Sep 20, 2020
AlPeter:

[b]first OFF Jayjay is from Delta State too, Odegbami and Rashidi Yekini are Yorubas and have more recognition both locally and internationally [/b]than almost all the Ibos footballlers. Lastly don't ever put that clown Mikel amongst Nigeria's great

Does the bolded represent any logical aspect of this thread? Who gives ratass if Jay Jay is from Delta State or Okechukwu Keshi? Emma Okocha is more Igbo than any Igbo person I have seen.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by OMONGBALI: 11:07pm On Apr 11, 2021
Macelliot:

Do you know that no single Yoruba was among the squad that won the African cup of Nation (2012).. Only one Northerner(Ahmed Musa), while the rest were (SE/SS)...

Oshaniwa Juwon

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by ForumNL(m): 1:24am On Aug 22, 2022
P0intBlank:

Thanks, mine was good.

1) pls, prove it with facts.

CAF TEAM OF TOURNAMENT (Nigerians Only)

1976 Haruna Ilerika, Kunle Awesu
1978 Segun Odegbami,
1980 Christian Chukwu, Segun Odegbami, Best Ogedegbe
1982 Nil
1984 Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, Clement Temile
1988 Henry Nwosu
1990 Moses Kpakor
1992 Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, Rashidi Yekini
1994 Benedict Iroha, Austin J. J. Okocha, Daniel Amokachi, Rashidi Yekini
2000 Austin J. J. Okocha,
2002 Taribo West, Ifeanyi Udeze, Julius Aghahowa
2004 Austin J. J. Okocha, John Utaka
2006 Taye Taiwo
2008 Nil
2010 Peter Odemwinge
2013 Vincent Enyeama, Efe Ambrose, John Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Emmanuel Emenike

2) “It doesn’t matter. The title of the thread talks about dominance. So, they dominated the team and you forgot to tell us that they won their first medal(Bronze) in 1976 without 1 single igbo. That's all. Remember, we should have won it but because the referee was bribed we lost. After, investigation the referee was suspended for been bribed.”

- @Bolded Either admit you made a mistake or prove this

P.S. Between 1974-1977, Rangers (League champions: 1974, 1975, 1977 and FA CUP Winners: 1974, 1975, 1976) was the strongest team in the country. Do u suppose that Father Tiko would not have included players from this team in his 1976 squad.

3)” Those three years we won the Nations cup trophies, did Igbo's single handedly won us the trophies? And since, you included under age 1996 team, I will take you back to 1985 under 16.

How many Igbo's took part in that first FIFA trophy? 1 (don't bother to count Nduka Ugbade because he is not Igbo).

How many Igbo's were there in 1993 FIFA U17 World Cup? 5

How many Igbo's were part of 2007 FIFA U17 World Cup? 1 or 2

How many Igbo's were part of the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup?
Only 4”

-Igbos have never single handedly won any trophy for Nigeria. I have never used that term. U were the one that used that term when u said Yekini single handedly qualified Nigeria to her first world cup. Football is a team event, hence, nobody can single handedly win a tournament. That said, he was our best player in 1993 (scoring 4 of the 10 goals we scored in last qualifying round).

A little correction

Japan 1993 had at least 6 Igbos: Mobi Oparaku, Pascal Ojigwe, Kanu Nwankwo, Peter Anosike, Eloka Asokuh, Blessing Anyanwu. If you include Emmanuel and Celestine Babayaro whose parents are from Imo State (Actual surname is Iwuoha that’s 8 out of 18 players). So it wasn’t only 2015 they dominated.

4) “Oh I see, I thought Adiele and Opala were not Igbo's. Sorry, my mistake. However, there are 7 Yorubas on the list. Shefiu was included on the list but i don't think he is Yoruba hence i excluded him for the list. Best Ogedegbe, Muda Lawal, Segun Odegbami, Felix Owolabi, Tunde Bamidele, John Orlando and Martins Eyo.
However, Ogedegbe is not from Warri, he is from Edo(Yoruba speaking part. Not too sure but his name sounds Yoruba). Even, if i exclude him Yorubas will be 6.

Starting 11: Best, Tunde, Isima, Chukwu, Atuegbu, Owolabi, Lawal, Odegbami, Odiye, Adokie, Adiele.

This is the starting line up of the Finals.”

-Shefiu Mohammed is from Ghana while John Orlando has a Ghanaian Father and an Igbo Mother.

Best Ogedegbe is from Delta. See links
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/mr-universe-to-visit-nigeria-in-2014/
http://www.nigeria70.com/nigerian_news_paper/ogedengbe_family_seeks_delta_govt_attention/387563

That makes it a total of 5 Yorubas. So the claim of 5-7 Yorubas in the starting 11 wasn’t correct

5) “http://ameyawdebrah.com/photos-samsung-presents-fair-play-prizes-dede-ayew-others-orange-african-cup-nations-2015/

Maybe this will help. It's awarded to the most skillful and talented player of the tournament. So, Victor Moses remains our best player in 2013 Africa nations cup while Rasheed Yekini remains our best player in 1994.”

-I agree totally with you on Yekini.

-I read the link you suggested. Below are excerpts from the aforesaid article:

“These games are intense and exciting, but there is more to the game than just winning and getting a ball into the net. Teams and players that plays hard, but FAIR, always win the hearts and minds of spectators,” says Mr. George Ferreira, Samsung Africa VP and COO

“The competition is fierce on the field and Samsung is proud to be associated with encouraging high levels of FAIRNESS during the games. It has been great to see so many top players doing so well and winning these prizes,” says Mr. Amr Shaheen, CAF Marketing & TV Director.

Please see the words in Uppercase (FAIR and FAIRNESS). That’s what the award emphasizes or encourages. CAF has 4 sponsors handling different awards: one for fair play (Samsung), one for best player (Orange), one for best goal (Nissan), One for Highest Goal Scorer (Pepsi). Why would CAF want to have 2 parallel awards? That would be confusion.
Nice one
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Idiko1: 12:59pm On Aug 22, 2022
tupacshakur:
The Naij editor is, no doubt, on point. The Igbos dominate when it comes to Nigerian football.

Meanwhile, the present female African footballer of the year, Asisat Oshoala is Yoruba.

Nigeria's leading all-time goal scorer is Rasheed Yekini, followed by Segun Odegbami. They are both Yorubas.

Yorubas sef dey try! grin

The bolded remains the reason soccer faces a downward spiral in Nigeria. Someone passed the ball to Yekini and Odegbami to score a goal.
As for the Oshoala, it good notice you qualified her with the "Present". There had been Igbo female African footballer of the year before now.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by macho44(m): 2:57pm On Aug 22, 2022
Macelliot:

Do you know that no single Yoruba was among the squad that won the African cup of Nation (2012).. Only one Northerner(Ahmed Musa), while the rest were (SE/SS)...
You too dey lie bro. Na Wa for you.
Juwon Oshaniwa, the deputy left back to Elderson Echiejile na Yoruba. Abeg no dey mislead people grin.
Oshaniwa at that time played for Sunshine Stars Of Akure, together with Godfrey Oboabona who was also part of the AFCON 2013 winning team.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by ForumNL(m): 12:49pm On Aug 24, 2022
Some people see any non Yoruba from South as Igbo

That's too wrong
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by RighteousI: 6:48pm On Aug 24, 2022
My name is Chukwuma Okadigbo and I
am the author of this article titled: The dominance of the Yoruba tribe in sports.

How come much of the international sport stars are from the yoruba tribe?

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by RighteousI: 6:50pm On Aug 24, 2022

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by ForumNL(m): 7:34pm On Aug 24, 2022
RighteousI:
My name is Chukwuma Okadigbo and I
am the author of this article titled: The dominance of the Yoruba tribe in sports.

How come much of the international sport stars are from the yoruba tribe?
Link

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sir Ferguson's Man United 2007/08 Team Voted Premier League's Greatest Ever / Solskjaer Unhappy With Man Utd Board For Not Granting His Request / Tammy Abraham Snubs Nigeria, Accepts Call Up To Play For England

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.