Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello (26362 Views)

Ahmadu Bello Way, Abuja Was Shutdown To Watch Nigeria Vs Iceland / League Sx Fantasy Challenge For Nigeria Football Fans / The Dominance of European Football by Spanish Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by theDEVILisHERE: 4:30am On Dec 18, 2015
aim5:

Oh get out. You have great athletes, but you're not the most masculine in Nigeria.

Igbo guys are the most masculine guys on the so called "nigga area"
This is a fact that does not need to be argued
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 4:42am On Dec 18, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

Igbo guys are the most masculine guys on the so called "nigga area"
This is a fact that does not need to be argued

More masculine than Niger Delta guys? Nah. You're more athletic than them only because you guys are refined. Any one with a brain knows Niger Delta guys are the badasses of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by theDEVILisHERE: 4:53am On Dec 18, 2015
aim5:

More masculine than Niger Delta guys? Nah. You're more athletic than them only because you guys are refined. Any one with a brain knows Niger Delta guys are the badasses of Nigeria.

First
There is nothing like "Niger delta guys"
There is no such ethnicity
And yes they are more masculine than any ethnic group in nigeria
And like I said only their close relative ie: efik, ibibio, izon (aka ijaw) etc comes close to them in this regard

Masculinity, physical strenght on average
No ethnic group within nigeria can match them

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 5:00am On Dec 18, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

First
There is nothing like "Niger delta guys"
There is no such ethnicity
And yes they are more masculine than any ethnic group in nigeria
And like I said only their close relative ie: efik, ibibio, izon (aka ijaw) etc comes close to them in this regard

Masculinity, physical strenght on average
No ethnic group within nigeria can match them

I didn't say "Niger Delta" was an ethnicity. I basically grouped the Itsekiris, Urhobos, Ijaws,etc. in there. Also, masculinity isn't solely based on physical strength at all, Igbo guys are usually muscular, buy they don't exude the most alpha traits in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by theDEVILisHERE: 5:06am On Dec 18, 2015
aim5:

I didn't say "Niger Delta" was an ethnicity. I basically grouped the Itsekiris, Urhobos, Ijaws,etc. in there. Also, masculinity isn't solely based on physical strength at all, Igbo guys are usually muscular, buy they don't exude the most alpha traits in Nigeria.

What do mean "alpha traits"

Look
Everything about an Igbo guy is towards achieving or getting what he wants
You can't get more "alpha" than that

3 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 5:40am On Dec 18, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

What do mean "alpha traits"

Look
Everything about an Igbo guy is towards achieving or getting what he wants
You can't get more "alpha" than that

Yay. Igbo guys are supreme. Have a cookie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by glitzcare(m): 6:03am On Dec 18, 2015

Not necessary but a fact
every tribe have what they are good at, I am Igbo but I don't subscribe to u insulting odas inoder to feel gud. stop ur hate comments on oda tribes bikooooo.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by glitzcare(m): 6:16am On Dec 18, 2015

E pain you? Oya take panadol
i am Igbo but I don't support ur hate speech. a Yoruba is praising Igbo's and u reciprocate with a provocative statement. no enlightened Igbo will do DAT only taut
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:41am On Dec 18, 2015
aim5:

What do u mean by refined? .
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by P0intBlank(m): 4:36am On Jan 10, 2016
FisifunKododada:
cool

Madam, FOOTBALL? Not so fast. Lets look at the facts.
Before Okwaraji or even Christian Chukwu there was Thunder Balogun

A. Based on number of goals - who are the top Nigerian strikers?
1. Rashidi Yekini
2. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
3. Obafemi Martins
4. Ikechukwu Uche
grin So Igbo guy comes at No.4 - so tell me why shouldn't the tribes of No.1, 2, and 3 BEAT their chest? grin

By the way where is Emenike? Was he not suppose to surpass Yekini's record? He has not even reached Martins record not to talk of Yakubu's. grin Don't get me wrong. Emenike is a good player and Igbos can brag about him all the want. However, he seems not to have the prolific staying power of either Yekini, Yakubu and Martins. Yekini's goals (single handedly) took Nigeria to her FIRST World Cup - maybe his tribe should start beating their chest too grin

B. Based on stats and achievements best goalkeepers:
1. Vincent Enyeama.
2. Ike Shorunmu.
3. Peter Rufai.
grin Again, no Igbo guy here - why are the tribes of these people not beating their chest and claiming to control Nigerian football? grin
What about the worst goalkeeper of the last 2 decades - Mr. Chigozie Agbim? grin Who wants to brag about Agbim?

C. First Nigerian goal at the world cup scored by Rashidi Yekini

D. Best winger of the last 40 years is Finidi George.

E. Best aerial ball player EVER in Nigerian history - Mutiu Adepoju.

None of these 3 guys are Igbos.

F. Nigeria's last world cup Goal scorers.
1. Ahmed Musa
2. Osaze

G. Recording breaking U17 goal scorer (2015): Victor Osimihen is NOT Igbo. He is a Bini boy.

None of these guys are Igbos.

H. Now to be fair lets look at a possible state where Igbos can beat their chest.
1. Mikel Obi is the most successful Nigerian player in European football by far. He is Igbo so Igbos can beat their chest here grin
2. He is closely followed by Nwankwo Kanu (Papillo - one of my favorite players grin).
3.Okocha (Anioma man but he has never denied being Igbo) is one player the Igbos may brag about any day any time until he denies being Igbo . grin
4. Key players at the last won nations cup
1. Emenike -Igbo
2. Sunday Mba - Igbo
3. Victor Moses - Bini
4. Enyeama - Ibibio
5. Onazi - Igalla (Benue for sure)
So 1 and 2 are Igbos so Igbo can brag here. grin

H. Sunday Oliseh is arguably one of the best midfielders of all time - but we just learnt he is NOT Igbo so the Igbos can't brag about him. grin

Now here is my point: The success of Nigerian football cannot be attributed to one tribe. Players from so many tribes have contributed to bring glory to the country. Tribal chest beaters are not needed in our football, they are toxic and are totally unhelpful. And I will continue to lamblast them wherever they poke their ugly heads grin

Nice Points u raised. I feel the need to respond cause they are several other points u didn't consider.
1) The Igbos have gotten more African Player of the Year awards than any other tribe.
2) They have the most successful clubside: Enyimba being unarguably the most successful. Rangers and Iwuanyanwu Nationale will surely make the top 5.
3) Best Nigerian teams (The Tunisia/USA 94 and Atlanta 96 teams) had Igbos constituting at least 45% of the team. That's amazing considering how many tribes they are in Nigeria. Also, 1980 winning team had 9 players of Igbo extraction (that's 40%). It was the same complaint of dominance I heard about Keshi's AFCON 2013 team.
4) The same dominance is also seen in the female national team where a good number of the players are Igbos. Moreover, Perpetua Nkwocha is arguably the finest african female player having won the CAF award a record four times.
5) U limited your comparison to only strikers and goal keepers (though u left out Emmanuel Okala). What of midfielders and defenders? Chidi Nwanu, Uche Okafor, Uche Okechukwu, Ben Iroha, do these names sound familiar? That's an entire back four from one region. Is there any doubt that Okocha is the best midfielder we've had.
6) U spoke about the right wing. What about the left wing? Have we had a better left winger than Emmanuel Amuneke (Former African Footballer of the Year)?

That madam, Aderonke Bello, knows what she's saying

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Asiwaju9ja(m): 5:35am On Jan 10, 2016
Macelliot:
These is one of the few Yoruba who isn't blinded by sentiment..

He is a NIGERIAN.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by lolu20: 6:41am On Jan 10, 2016
Macelliot:

Do you know that no single Yoruba was among the squad that won the African cup of Nation (2012).. Only one Northerner(Ahmed Musa), while the rest were (SE/SS)...
shut up.olodo.the guy that played left back in d final is a Yoruba guy.juwon oshaniwa.stop liking shits.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by baylrc4real(m): 4:48pm On Jan 10, 2016
Macelliot:

Do you know that no single Yoruba was among the squad that won the African cup of Nation (2012).. Only one Northerner(Ahmed Musa), while the rest were (SE/SS)...
According to our history we have Yoruba tribes people there....like Oshaniwa, check your details well. The whole of Edo state originated from yoruba tribe
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 4:48am On Jan 11, 2016
baylrc4real:
According to our history we have Yoruba tribes people there....like Oshaniwa, check your details well. The whole of Edo state originated from yoruba tribe

The whole of Edo State originated from Yoruba tribe? SMH.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by edi287: 4:03pm On Jan 11, 2016
Damn must you guys bring your stupid bigotry into everything?? Abeg leave that shit in the politics section and outside sports...na beg we dey beg.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 2:25am On Jan 12, 2016
P0intBlank:

Nice Points u raised. I feel the need to respond cause they are several other points u didn't consider.
1) The Igbos have gotten more African Player of the Year awards than any other tribe.
2) They have the most successful clubside: Enyimba being unarguably the most successful. Rangers and Iwuanyanwu Nationale will surely make the top 5.
3) Best Nigerian teams (The Tunisia/USA 94 and Atlanta 96 teams) had Igbos constituting at least 45% of the team. That's amazing considering how many tribes they are in Nigeria. Also, 1980 winning team had 9 players of Igbo extraction (that's 40%). It was the same complaint of dominance I heard about Keshi's AFCON 2013 team.
4) The same dominance is also seen in the female national team where a good number of the players are Igbos. Moreover, Perpetua Nkwocha is arguably the finest african female player having won the CAF award a record four times.
5) U limited your comparison to only strikers and goal keepers (though u left out Emmanuel Okala). What of midfielders and defenders? Chidi Nwanu, Uche Okafor, Uche Okechukwu, Ben Iroha, do these names sound familiar? That's an entire back four from one region. Is there any doubt that Okocha is the best midfielder we've had.
6) U spoke about the right wing. What about the left wing? Have we had a better left winger than Emmanuel Amuneke (Former African Footballer of the Year)?

That madam, Aderonke Bello, knows what she's saying

First of all, I don't buy into this tribal whatsoever because it's one the reason our National team is suffering. However, I will humbly like to correct some information.

1) Only two Igbo's had won the award , Emmanuel Amunike and Kanu Nwankwo. And two Yoruba's had also won the award, Rasheed Yekini(the first Nigerian to win it) and Emmanuel Adebayor. Nosa Ikpeba from Edo had also won it.

2) If you remove Continental awards and consider only the numbers of National trophy won, Shooting stars is the most successful with 5 league wins and 8 FA Cup followed by Enugu Rangers with 6 league wins and 5 FA Cup. However, I will do the rating based on Continental awards won.

1, Enyimba fc Baba: 7 league, 3 FA Cup, 2 Africa Champions Cup and 2 Africa Super Cup.

2, Shooting_Stars_F.C : 5 leagues, 8 FA Cup, 1 CAF Cup, 1 Africa Winners Cup and 1 West Africa Champions Cup.

3, Enugu Rangers: 6 leagues, 5 FA Cup and 1 Africa winners Cup.

4, Bendel Insurance fc: 2 leagues, 3 FA Cup, 1 CAF Cup and 3 West Africa club Champions.

5, BBC Lions fc: 2 league, 3 FA Cup and 1 Africa Cup winners Cup.

3) The highest goal scorer and best player of the tournament in 1994 was Rasheed Yekini. Igbo's had only 4 regular players. The rest were bench warmers. But 1996 Olympics na fact. In 1980 Africa nations cup the key players are not Igbo's. The highest goal scorer was Segun Odegbami, best keeper was Best Ogedegbe, best midfielder was Muda-lawal and the best defender and best player of the tournament was Chuks. 2013 Africa nations cup was dominated by Edo. I mean if we consider the composition of Edos in the starting 11. Victor Moses an Edo boy was the best player followed by Mikel Obi. The highest goal scorer was Emmanuel Emunike and best goal keeper was Vicent Enyeama.

4) I concur but Asisat Oshoala is the first to win BBC African player of the Year and more international individual awards than her. Even, Efik/Ibibio has won the the African footballer of the Year 4 times

5) When you talk about the best and most stable midfielder that had played regularly for Nigeria, Muda-lawal has no rival. Taye Taiwo, Patrick Owomoyela, Dennis Aogo and Marice Edu are all world class defenders any National team will desire to have.

6, When it comes to Left Back, Left Midfielder and Left Winger, is there anyone you can compare with David Alaba?

So, Bros, look well before you limp else you fall.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by P0intBlank(m): 11:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
forgiveness:

First of all, I don't buy into this tribal whatsoever because it's one the reason our National team is suffering. However, I will humbly like to correct some information.

1) Only two Igbo's had won the award , Emmanuel Amunike and Kanu Nwankwo. And two Yoruba's had also won the award, Rasheed Yekini(the first Nigerian to win it) and Emmanuel Adebayor. Nosa Ikpeba from Edo had also won it.

2) If you remove Continental awards and consider only the numbers of National trophy won, Shooting stars is the most successful with 5 league wins and 8 FA Cup followed by Enugu Rangers with 6 league wins and 5 FA Cup. However, I will do the rating based on Continental awards won.

1, Enyimba fc Baba: 7 league, 3 FA Cup, 2 Africa Champions Cup and 2 Africa Super Cup.

2, Shooting_Stars_F.C : 5 leagues, 8 FA Cup, 1 CAF Cup, 1 Africa Winners Cup and 1 West Africa Champions Cup.

3, Enugu Rangers: 6 leagues, 5 FA Cup and 1 Africa winners Cup.

4, Bendel Insurance fc: 2 leagues, 3 FA Cup, 1 CAF Cup and 3 West Africa club Champions.

5, BBC Lions fc: 2 league, 3 FA Cup and 1 Africa Cup winners Cup.

3) The highest goal scorer and best player of the tournament in 1994 was Rasheed Yekini. Igbo's had only 4 regular players. The rest were bench warmers. But 1996 Olympics na fact. In 1980 Africa nations cup the key players are not Igbo's. The highest goal scorer was Segun Odegbami, best keeper was Best Ogedegbe, best midfielder was Muda-lawal and the best defender and best player of the tournament was Chuks. 2013 Africa nations cup was dominated by Edo. I mean if we consider the composition of Edos in the starting 11. Victor Moses an Edo boy was the best player followed by Mikel Obi. The highest goal scorer was Emmanuel Emunike and best goal keeper was Vicent Enyeama.

4) I concur but Asisat Oshoala is the first to win BBC African player of the Year and more international individual awards than her. Even, Efik/Ibibio has won the the African footballer of the Year 4 times

5) When you talk about the best and most stable midfielder that had played regularly for Nigeria, Muda-lawal has no rival. Taye Taiwo, Patrick Owomoyela, Dennis Aogo and Marice Edu are all world class defenders any National team will desire to have.

6, When it comes to Left Back, Left Midfielder and Left Winger, is there anyone you can compare with David Alaba?

So, Bros, look well before you limp else you fall.

Nice attempt. Thanks for your response. I'm not being tribalistic. Just stating facts.

However, I disagree with some of your points.

1) 2 Igbos combined for a total of 3 awards. Rashidi Yekini (who by the way was my favourite player while growing up) is the only one that counts. Emmanuel Adebayor won as a Togolese didn't play for Nigeria (hence, didn't contribute to Nigerian Football). Even, if you decide to add that, that's 2 awards. If I considered the BBC awards (which began in 1991), it would be five (kanu (2), Amunike (1), Okocha (2)). I'm wondering why u mentioned Victor Ikpeba. My argument here is NOT that Igbos have achieved more than the other tribes put together BUT that they've been the single most dominant (successful) tribe when it comes to Nigerian Football.

2) I have being following football for over 23 years. I know Fans, Management, Coaches and Players alike do not attach same importance to all trophies. When u consider the 2 most coveted trophies: The League and the Ultimate Continental Price, Enyimba beats 3SC. It's not even an argument who the more successful club is.

Iwuanyanwu Nationale has won 5 League titles, 3 FA CUPs. BCC and Bendel Insurance have 2 League titles and a second-rate continental title each (I did not count WAFU). I'd say it's a close call. However as a ManU/Real madrid Fan, I'd prefer my teams won their respective leagues to the Europa Cup. I know most fans would agree.

3) It doesn't negate the fact that they've dominated the final lists (1980,1994,1996,2013 teams all had 8 or more players from the same tribe. That's no coincidence). U said only 4 regulars like it's no big deal. Which other tribe produced that number of regulars in Tunisia 94? Some may have been on the bench but contributed their own quota like Amunike that played the Final and scored both goals or Okocha who played only d semis and finals and made his impact felt. Didn't know Victor Moses was the best player in 2013, was he?

P.S. u said the key players at 1980 Nations Cup were not Igbos. At least d best player (Christian Chukwu) was.

4) BBC award is a new award and the U-20 began in 2002. U would have a point if these awards were available during Nkwocha's time and she failed to win. Asisat Oshoala is very good but only time will tell if she would be better. For now, Nkwocha is still d best.

"Even, Efik/Ibibio has won the the African footballer of the Year 4 times" How did u arrive at this?

5) Muda Lawal was good but u're being subjective. Just like anyone can say Ronaldo is better than Messi. As a Manu/Real Madrid fan, my heart loves Ronaldo but My head knows Messi is better. Give me facts to prove he was better than Okocha.

"Taye Taiwo, Patrick Owomoyela, Dennis Aogo and Marice Edu" seeing these names make me shake my head. Some did not play for Nigeria, others would not make the cut. Ben Iroha or Taye Taiwo? Take this to the street, ask those who watched both play.

6) David Alaba? Does he play for Nigeria? Does he even see himself as a Nigerian? The article the lady wrote was about the dominance of the Igbos in Nigerian Football. Lets restrict our argument to this.

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 7:57am On Jan 14, 2016
P0intBlank:

Nice attempt. Thanks for your response. I'm not being tribalistic. Just stating facts.

1) 2 Igbos combined for a total of 3 awards. Rashidi Yekini (who by the way was my favourite player while growing up) is the only one that counts. Emmanuel Adebayor won as a Togolese didn't play for Nigeria (hence, didn't contribute to Nigerian Football). Even, if you decide to add that, that's 2 awards. If I considered the BBC awards (which began in 1991), it would be five (kanu (2), Amunike (1), Okocha (2)). I'm wondering why u mentioned Victor Ikpeba. My argument here is NOT that Igbos have achieved more than the other tribes put together BUT that they've been the single most dominant (successful) tribe when it comes to Nigerian Football.

2) I have being following football for over 23 years. I know Fans, Management, Coaches and Players alike do not attach same importance to all trophies. When u consider the 2 most coveted trophies: The League and the Ultimate Continental Price, Enyimba beats 3SC. It's not even an argument who the more successful club is.

Iwuanyanwu Nationale has won 5 League titles, 3 FA CUPs. BCC and Bendel Insurance have 2 League titles and a second-rate continental title each (I did not count WAFU). I'd say it's a close call. However as a ManU/Real madrid Fan, I'd prefer my teams won their respective leagues to the Europa Cup. I know most fans would agree.

3) It doesn't negate the fact that they've dominated the final lists (1980,1994,1996,2013 teams all had 8 or more players from the same tribe. That's no coincidence). U said only 4 regulars like it's no big deal. Which other tribe produced that number of regulars in Tunisia 94? Some may have been on the bench but contributed their own quota like Amunike that played the Final and scored both goals or Okocha who played only d semis and finals and made his impact felt. Didn't know Victor Moses was the best player in 2013, was he?

P.S. u said the key players at 1980 Nations Cup were not Igbos. At least d best player (Christian Chukwu) was.

4) BBC award is a new award and the U-20 began in 2002. U would have a point if these awards were available during Nkwocha's time and she failed to win. Asisat Oshoala is very good but only time will tell if she would be better. For now, Nkwocha is still d best.

"Even, Efik/Ibibio has won the the African footballer of the Year 4 times" How did u arrive at this?

5) Muda Lawal was good but u're being subjective. Just like anyone can say Ronaldo is better than Messi. As a Manu/Real Madrid fan, my heart loves Ronaldo but My head knows Messi is better. Give me facts to prove he was better than Okocha.

"Taye Taiwo, Patrick Owomoyela, Dennis Aogo and Marice Edu" seeing these names make me shake my head. Some did not play for Nigeria, others would not make the cut. Ben Iroha or Taye Taiwo? Take this to the street, ask those who watched both play.

6) David Alaba? Does he play for Nigeria? Does he even see himself as a Nigerian? The article the lady wrote was about the dominance of the Igbos in Nigerian Football. Lets restrict our argument to this.

Nice but i want to correct some points you made.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by P0intBlank(m): 10:55am On Jan 14, 2016
forgiveness:

Nice but i want to correct some points you made.
No probs. I'm all ears.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 1:31pm On Jan 14, 2016
P0intBlank:

Nice but i want to correct some misunderstanding and some points you made.

1) The fact that club performance was used to determine Africa footballer of the Year and the fact that you mentioned the names of the tribes instead of country makes it counts. So, Igbo's still had only 2 players(won 3 times), Yoruba 's had 2 players and 1 Edo. Remember, Yorubas had won CAF most promising player of the Year 3 times( Martins Obafemi twice and Taye Taiwo once) while Igbo had won it twice with Mikel Obi and Kelechi Iheanacho, and Edo/Uhrobo once with Etebor Oghenakaro . When it comes to individual awards Ijaws( Ricky Owubokiri) and Yoruba (Rasheed Yekini) had won the Bola de Prata ( highest goal scorer) in an European league, and Yorubas became the second highest goal scorer in the Premier League with John Fashanu (20 goals) and Emmanuel Adebayor(24 goals).
Yorubas(Emmanuel Adebayor) had won the PFA Team of the Year.

BBC is a new award. U will have a point if the award was available during the time of Odegbami and Muda Lawal. Remember, it was not awarded in 1992 and 1993 hence Rasheed Yekini could have won it too.

2) Even though Arsenal-fc had won more leagues than Chelsea, Chelsea is still rated over Arsenal-fc. Why? Because of the ultimate continental price. And as long as Iwuanyanwu Nationale participated in West Africa Club Championship and failed then it also counted hence Bendel insurance and BBC Lions are still rated above Iwuanyanwu Nationale.

3) Nigeria's first Nations Cup was in 1963 and the major tribe that helped to qualify and participated was Yorubas with 9 key players. Nigeria qualified for the first Olympics football game in 1968, the dominate tribe that achieved that dream was Yorubas. The first major title Nigeria won was the 1973 All African games. All tribes where present. Hausa, Igbo, Efik, Yoruba, Edo, Ijaw all dominated the list(I couldn't get the complete list). In 1976 Nigeria won her first medal in the African Cup of Nations when they came third and as usual Yorubas dominated the team with the likes of Muda Lawal, Haruna ilerika, Ojebode, Kunle Awesu etcetera. Ilerika and Awesu were in the CAF team of the tournament. In 1978 when we also won bronze, Igbo's had 10 while Yoruba had 9 but we still know that the Yorubas dominated the team hence Segun Odegbami was joint highest goal scorer and was listed on CAF team of the tournament. Nigeria won it's first Nations Cup in 1980, Igbo's had 7 and Yorubas had 8 number of players but the first 11 was between 5 and 7 Yorubas. Yoruba was the highest goal scorer of the tournament and Yorubas had 2 players in CAF team of the tournament, Best Ogedegbe and Segun Odegbami while chuks was also listed. Even when we won silver in 1984, Yorubas still dominated. In 1988 when we came second Igbo's had a player more than Yorubas. In Algeirs 90 Igbo's had two players more than Yorubas but the best player was Moses Kpapor from Benue state while Rasheed Yekini was second highest goal scorer of the tournament . In 1992, Yorubas dominated the list again and Rasheed Yekini became the highest goal scorer of the tournament. Although, Igbo's dominated the list in 1994 but the composition of the first 11 was 3 Yorubas( out of 4 yoruba that was in the tournament) 4 Igbo's, 2 Ijaws and 2 Edo. The best and the highest goal scorer of the tournament was Rasheed Yekini. In 2013, Edos dominated the starting 11 with 4 - 5 players, while Igbo's had 3-5, benue 1, Hausa 1, Ibibio 1 and Ijaw 1. And the best player of the tournament for Nigeria was an Edo boy Victor Moses hence he won Samsung fair player of the tournament award and he was also included in CAF team of the tournament alongside Emenike, Ambrose Enyeama and Mikel. While, Emmanuel Emunike was the highest goal scorer.

P.s : you said the players were Igbo's in 1994 and 2013 but atleast Rasheed Yekini(Yoruba) and Victor Moses(Edo) were the best players of the tournament and best player for Nigeria respectively. grin

4) No wahala. Cynthia Uwak and Mercy Akide Udoh had won twice each.

5) Muda Lawal helped to win the Nations cup for the first time, he was just like the xavi of our time. There was no match he didn't start and finished and he is the only Nigerian to have played in five nations cup. When Nigerian league was hot, he won the League, FA Cup and continental prize for Shooting stars. What else?

Taye Taiwo has won CAF most promising player of the Year, 2 times Ligue 1 team of the season, 2 times CAF team of the Year etcetera. Has Ben Iroha achieved that?Patrick Owomoyela played for Dortmund, his German team can third in FIFA Confederations Cup etcetera. Where did Chidi nwanu play and what did he win? Maurice Edu was outstanding for USA and his club while Dennis Aogo played for the German team that came third in the FIFA World Cup. Have any of those you listed capable of breaking into the German team?

Taiwo don pass Ben Iroha tete.

6) As far as tribe is concerned, David Alaba is Yoruba.

My point is that every tribes dominated and contributed to Africa football.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 2:41am On Jan 15, 2016
Tolatutu:
you see the difference between tribes, if it was another tribe that was majority in the super eagles those who like crying marginalization will be making noise and telling us it must be due to nepotism . Whereas other tribes are not whining now

The subject matter in this discussion is talent not one goofy government policy that is plentiful in Nigeria. Nigeria and Nigerians know that in football, talent is paramount.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 2:58am On Jan 15, 2016
AlPeter:

first OFF Jayjay is from Delta State too, Odegbami and Rashidi Yekini are Yorubas and have more recognition both locally and internationally than almost all the Ibos footballlers. Lastly don't ever put that clown Mikel amongst Nigeria's great

I guess in your world, Delta State is ethnicity. If the likes of Godwin Ogbueze, Kenneth Ilodigwe and Obed Ariri hung around in Nigeria, Odegbami would not have worn green.

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 3:10am On Jan 15, 2016
aim5:

I do not know what you mean by Niger Delta guys. The subject matter of this discussion is ethnicity. During my green days as a boy, there was traditional wrestling match held in Rivers State (Bayelsa) included, till date non-Igbo has never become a champion.

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 3:12am On Jan 15, 2016
DerideGull:

I do not know what you mean by Niger Delta guys. The subject matter of this discussion is ethnicity. During my green days as a boy, there was traditional wrestling match held in Rivers State (Bayelsa) included, till date non-Igbo has never become a champion.

I mean Ijaw,Urhobo,Isoko,etc.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 3:38am On Jan 15, 2016
forgiveness:

1) The fact that club performance was used to determine Africa footballer of the Year and the fact that you mentioned the names of the tribes instead of country makes it counts. So, Igbo's still had only 2 players(won 3 times), Yoruba 's had 2 players and 1 Edo. Remember, Yorubas had won CAF most promising player of the Year 3 times( Martins Obafemi twice and Taye Taiwo once) while Igbo had won it twice with Mikel Obi and Kelechi Iheanacho, and Edo/Uhrobo once with Etebor Oghenakaro . When it comes to individual awards Ijaws( Ricky Owubokiri) and Yoruba (Rasheed Yekini) had won the Bola de Prata ( highest goal scorer) in an European league, and Yorubas became the second highest goal scorer in the Premier League with John Fashanu (20 goals) and Emmanuel Adebayor(24 goals).

BBC is a new award. U will have a point if the award was available during the time of Odegbami and Muda Lawal. Remember, it was not awarded in 1992 and 1993 hence Rasheed Yekini could have won it too.

2) Even though Arsenal-fc had won more leagues than Chelsea, Chelsea is still rated over Arsenal-fc. Why? Because of the ultimate continental price. And as long as Iwuanyanwu Nationale participated in West Africa Club Championship and failed then it also counted hence Bendel insurance and BBC Lions are still rated above Iwuanyanwu Nationale.

3) Nigeria's first Nations Cup was in 1963 and the major tribe that helped to qualify and participated was Yorubas with 9 key players. Nigeria qualified for the first Olympics football game in 1968, the dominate tribe that achieved that dream was Yorubas. The first major title Nigeria won was the 1973 All African games and as expected the Yorubas also dominated it. In 1976 Nigeria won her first medal in the African Cup of Nations when they came third and as usual Yorubas dominated the team with the likes of Muda Lawal, Haruna ilerika, Ojebode, Kunle Awesu etcetera. Ilerika and Awesu were in the CAF team of the tournament. In 1978 when we also won bronze, Igbo's had 8 while Yoruba had 9 but we still know that the Yorubas dominated the team hence Segun Odegbami was joint highest goal scorer and was listed on CAF team of the tournament. Nigeria won it's first Nations Cup in 1980, Igbo's had 7 and Yorubas had 8 number of players but the first 11 was between 5 and 7 Yorubas. Yoruba was the highest goal scorer of the tournament and Yorubas had 2 players in CAF team of the tournament, Best Ogedegbe and Segun Odegbami while chuks was also listed. Even when we won silver in 1984, Yorubas still dominated. In 1988 when we came second Igbo's had a player more than Yorubas. In Algeirs 90 Igbo's had two players more than Yorubas but the best player was Moses Kpapor from Benue state while Rasheed Yekini was second highest goal scorer of the tournament . In 1992, Yorubas dominated the list again and Rasheed Yekini became the highest goal scorer of the tournament. Although, Igbo's dominated the list in 1994 but the composition of the first 11 was 3 Yorubas( out of 4 yoruba that was in the tournament) 4 Igbo's, 2 Ijaws and 2 Edo. The best and the highest goal scorer of the tournament was Rasheed Yekini. In 2013, Edos dominated the starting 11 with 4 - 5 players, while Igbo's had 3-5, benue 1, Hausa 1, Ibibio 1 and Ijaw 1. And the best player of the tournament for Nigeria was an Edo boy Victor Moses hence he won Samsung fair player of the tournament award and he was also included in CAF team of the tournament alongside Emenike, Ambrose Enyeama and Mikel. While, Emmanuel Emunike was the highest goal scorer.

P.s : you said the players were Igbo's in 1994 and 2013 but atleast Rasheed Yekini(Yoruba) and Victor Moses(Edo) were the best players of the tournament and best player for Nigeria respectively. grin

5) Muda Lawal helped to win the Nations cup for the first time, he was just like the xavi of our time. There was no match he didn't start and finished and he is the only Nigerian to have played in five nations cup. When Nigerian league was hot, he won the League, FA Cup and continental prize for Shooting stars. What else?

Taye Taiwo has won CAF most promising player of the Year, 2 times Ligue 1 team of the season, 2 times CAF team of the Year etcetera. Has Ben Iroha achieved that?Patrick Owomoyela played for Dortmund, his German team can third in FIFA Confederations Cup etcetera. Where did Chidi nwanu play and what did he win? Maurice Edu was outstanding for USA and his club while Dennis Aogo played for the German team that came third in the FIFA World Cup. Have any of those you listed capable of breaking into the German team?

Per the bolded, I can safely say 7 were Yoruba. Remember it was a period everything revolves around Lagos yet Igbo provided 7 too. Also per the bolded in red, nothing could be farther from the truth than this conjecture. Please give the list of the 1973 Nigerian soccer squad that won the gold.

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by DerideGull(m): 3:43am On Jan 15, 2016
aim5:

I mean Ijaw,Urhobo,Isoko,etc.

There was one kill-We Nwachukwu touted as the strongest Nigeria of his time. In addition, these ethnicity you just mentioned are not known for masculinity hence there were no characters such Power Mike or Ben the Lion Heart associated with minnows.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by P0intBlank(m): 2:09am On Jan 16, 2016
forgiveness:

3) Nigeria's first Nations Cup was in 1963 and the major tribe that helped to qualify and participated was Yorubas with 9 key players. Nigeria qualified for the first Olympics football game in 1968, the dominate tribe that achieved that dream was Yorubas. The first major title Nigeria won was the 1973 All African games. All tribes where present. Hausa, Igbo, Efik, Yoruba, Edo, Ijaw all dominated the list(I couldn't get the complete list). In 1976 Nigeria won her first medal in the African Cup of Nations when they came third and as usual Yorubas dominated the team with the likes of Muda Lawal, Haruna ilerika, Ojebode, Kunle Awesu etcetera. Ilerika and Awesu were in the CAF team of the tournament. In 1978 when we also won bronze, Igbo's had 10 while Yoruba had 9 but we still know that the Yorubas dominated the team hence Segun Odegbami was joint highest goal scorer and was listed on CAF team of the tournament. Nigeria won it's first Nations Cup in 1980, Igbo's had 7 and Yorubas had 8 number of players but the first 11 was between 5 and 7 Yorubas. Yoruba was the highest goal scorer of the tournament and Yorubas had 2 players in CAF team of the tournament, Best Ogedegbe and Segun Odegbami while chuks was also listed. Even when we won silver in 1984, Yorubas still dominated. In 1988 when we came second Igbo's had a player more than Yorubas. In Algeirs 90 Igbo's had two players more than Yorubas but the best player was Moses Kpapor from Benue state while Rasheed Yekini was second highest goal scorer of the tournament . In 1992, Yorubas dominated the list again and Rasheed Yekini became the highest goal scorer of the tournament. Although, Igbo's dominated the list in 1994 but the composition of the first 11 was 3 Yorubas( out of 4 yoruba that was in the tournament) 4 Igbo's, 2 Ijaws and 2 Edo. The best and the highest goal scorer of the tournament was Rasheed Yekini. In 2013, Edos dominated the starting 11 with 4 - 5 players, while Igbo's had 3-5, benue 1, Hausa 1, Ibibio 1 and Ijaw 1. And the best player of the tournament for Nigeria was an Edo boy Victor Moses hence he won Samsung fair player of the tournament award and he was also included in CAF team of the tournament alongside Emenike, Ambrose Enyeama and Mikel. While, Emmanuel Emunike was the highest goal scorer.

This our argument nawa.

You can't use players who play for other countries. U can create a thread for that. It creates the impression of u being desperate (looking for anything to prevent you from losing an argument). Let me ask you a question? Please be honest.

A)If you saw these names: Roger Milla, Abedi Pele, Samuel Eto, George Weah, Didier Drogba, Eusebio, Zidane as names shortlisted for the prize of The Greatest African Player by CAF. Would you not say something is amiss? Even if you don't admit it. I'm sure the rest of Africa would. Why? Zidane and Eusebio though of African descent are not eligible as they neither played in Africa nor for an African Country. Zidane or any french player (as long as he plays for France) can win French Player of the year as a result of his club exploits but a David Trezeguet (though one of his parents is Argentine) will not come into reckoning when discussing impact of Argentine footballers because he opted to play for France. U get my drift?

In same vein, Adebayor, Alaba et al do not qualify as their performances make Nigerian Football neither better nor worse.

"The fact that club performance was used to determine Africa footballer of the Year" (This statement is true only if one plays for or is eligible to play for African team)

The fact is Nigeria has won the CAF Player of the Year award five times (and not six). Three of those went to Igbos. Secondly, If the BBC award was given in 1992 and 1993. Abedi Pele would have won 1992 and Yekini might win 1993 (I said might cos France Football Magazine (the body who used to handle the awards before CAF) handed the 1993 African Player award to Abedi Pele because of his exploits with Marseille in French League and UCL. The BBC might toe the same line). However, lets assume Yekini would have won both that would have made it two against five

B) I had to check the CAF Women Awards again to be sure my memory wasn't failing me. I see Mercy Akide once and Cythnia Uwak twice. Which other year did Mercy Akide win? Now, Mercy Akide is from Rivers State. She got married to Colins Udoh in 2004, three years after her award in 2001. Marriage does not change your state, it can change the state of your children.

C)"P.s : you said the players were Igbo's in 1994 and 2013 but atleast Rasheed Yekini(Yoruba) and Victor Moses(Edo) were the best players of the tournament and best player for Nigeria respectively".

i) I never said the players were Igbo's in 1994 and 2013. U're misquoting me.
ii) Please provide reference that the Samsung fair player award is an award given to the best player. Do crosscheck.
(Fair Play award is not the same as best player award. Orange POTT handles that. Come on, u should know this)

D) I chose these years 1980,1994,1996,2013 cos we won the trophies. The 1973 All African Games (Soccer) is another one that should have been included. I didn't include it because of insufficient information. If u come across any info I'd like to read it

E) I'm beginning to think u give imaginary awards just to support ur cause. U claimed Muda was the best midfielder but he wasn't even in 1980 CAF team of the tournament. Infact, he played in five nations cup and not once did he make the CAF team of the tournament. When comparing players it's not just about the number of games played. Another question that needs an honest answer whose career would you rather have Muda's or Okocha's? Nation Cup Gold, Olympics Gold, World Cup Appearances (Okocha was not a passerby in those teams. He was a key component) Consider, Okocha played club football at much higher level and still shone. Furthermore, Okocha was nominated for CAF Player of the year awards thrice and made CAF team of the tournament thrice. In addition, he has a better goal to game ratio than Muda plus an amazing skill set. Should it surprise us that we only hear of the search for the next Okocha and not the next Muda?

F)"Even though Arsenal-fc had won more leagues than Chelsea, Chelsea is still rated over Arsenal-fc. Why? Because of the ultimate continental price. And as long as Iwuanyanwu Nationale participated in West Africa Club Championship and failed then it also counted hence Bendel insurance and BBC Lions are still rated above Iwuanyanwu Nationale."

Ur example doesn't match the situation. Bendel Insurance and BCC did not win the ultimate Continental Price. Do u know what West Africa Club Championship is? Why would u rate BCC Lions over Iwuanyanwu Nationale?

G) "Nigeria's first Nations Cup was in 1963 and the major tribe that helped to qualify and participated was Yorubas with 9 key players. Nigeria qualified for the first Olympics football game in 1968, the dominate tribe that achieved that dream was Yorubas."

- Noted. But what did they win? U forgot to add that they left both tournaments without winning a single match.

H) "In 1976 Nigeria won her first medal in the African Cup of Nations when they came third and as usual Yorubas dominated the team with the likes of Muda Lawal, Haruna ilerika, Ojebode, Kunle Awesu etcetera. Ilerika and Awesu were in the CAF team of the tournament"

- As usual? I like the arrogance. But the fact is they've been more Igbos in CAF's teams of the tournament. If u doubt it, check it.

I) "Nigeria won it's first Nations Cup in 1980, Igbo's had 7 and Yorubas had 8 number of players but the first 11 was between 5 and 7 Yorubas"
"Yorubas had 2 players in CAF team of the tournament, Best Ogedegbe and Segun Odegbami"

No, Sir. They were 9. David Adiele, Okey Isima, Christian Chukwu, Aloysius Atuegbu, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Henry Nwosu, Sylvanus Okpala, Emmanuel Okala and Frank Onwuachi.

Pls, how did u arrive at 8 Yorubas? Also, name the 5 to 7 yorubas in the first 11?

Moreover, Best Ogedegbe is not Yoruba (I think he's from Warri)

I'll appreciate it if u stick to the facts.

J)"My point is that every tribes dominated and contributed to Africa football".

Contribute, yes; dominate, no. Not every tribe has dominated. This argument has been enlightening. There's no denying the fact that the other tribes have done well (particularly the Yorubas). But I still agree with the writer that the Igbos have been the more dominant. For me the way u've tailored your arguments have given more credence to the idea that the Igbos have been dominant. U've not stuck with a tribe (u feel has been more dominant than the Igbos) but u've had to compare them with the achievements of multiple tribes put together and every now and again (when it's convenient) throw in someone who has neither played nor contributed to Nigerian Football (Someone who actual represents another country).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 6:51pm On Jan 17, 2016
P0intBlank:

This our argument nawa.

You can't use players who play for other countries. U can create a thread for that. It creates the impression of u being desperate (looking for anything to prevent you from losing an argument). Let me ask you a question? Please be honest.

A)If you saw these names: Roger Milla, Abedi Pele, Samuel Eto, George Weah, Didier Drogba, Eusebio, Zidane as names shortlisted for the prize of The Greatest African Player by CAF. Would you not say something is amiss? Even if you don't admit it. I'm sure the rest of Africa would. Why? Zidane and Eusebio though of African descent are not eligible as they neither played in Africa nor for an African Country. Zidane or any french player (as long as he plays for France) can win French Player of the year as a result of his club exploits but a David Trezeguet (though one of his parents is Argentine) will not come into reckoning when discussing impact of Argentine footballers because he opted to play for France. U get my drift?

In same vein, Adebayor, Alaba et al do not qualify as their performances make Nigerian Football neither better nor worse.

"The fact that club performance was used to determine Africa footballer of the Year" (This statement is true only if one plays for or is eligible to play for African team)

The fact is Nigeria has won the CAF Player of the Year award five times (and not six). Three of those went to Igbos. Secondly, If the BBC award was given in 1992 and 1993. Abedi Pele would have won 1992 and Yekini might win 1993 (I said might cos France Football Magazine (the body who used to handle the awards before CAF) handed the 1993 African Player award to Abedi Pele because of his exploits with Marseille in French League and UCL. The BBC might toe the same line). However, lets assume Yekini would have won both that would have made it two against five

B) I had to check the CAF Women Awards again to be sure my memory wasn't failing me. I see Mercy Akide once and Cythnia Uwak twice. Which other year did Mercy Akide win? Now, Mercy Akide is from Rivers State. She got married to Colins Udoh in 2004, three years after her award in 2001. Marriage does not change your state, it can change the state of your children.

C)"P.s : you said the players were Igbo's in 1994 and 2013 but atleast Rasheed Yekini(Yoruba) and Victor Moses(Edo) were the best players of the tournament and best player for Nigeria respectively".

ii) Please provide reference that the Samsung fair player award is an award given to the best player. Do crosscheck.
(Fair Play award is not the same as best player award. Orange POTT handles that. Come on, u should know this)

D) I chose these years 1980,1994,1996,2013 cos we won the trophies. The 1973 All African Games (Soccer) is another one that should have been included. I didn't include it because of insufficient information. If u come across any info I'd like to read it

E) I'm beginning to think u give imaginary awards just to support ur cause. U claimed Muda was the best midfielder but he wasn't even in 1980 CAF team of the tournament. Infact, he played in five nations cup and not once did he make the CAF team of the tournament. When comparing players it's not just about the number of games played. Another question that needs an honest answer whose career would you rather have Muda's or Okocha's? Nation Cup Gold, Olympics Gold, World Cup Appearances (Okocha was not a passerby in those teams. He was a key component) Consider, Okocha played club football at much higher level and still shone. Furthermore, Okocha was nominated for CAF Player of the year awards thrice and made CAF team of the tournament thrice. In addition, he has a better goal to game ratio than Muda plus an amazing skill set. Should it surprise us that we only hear of the search for the next Okocha and not the next Muda?

F)"Even though Arsenal-fc had won more leagues than Chelsea, Chelsea is still rated over Arsenal-fc. Why? Because of the ultimate continental price. And as long as Iwuanyanwu Nationale participated in West Africa Club Championship and failed then it also counted hence Bendel insurance and BBC Lions are still rated above Iwuanyanwu Nationale."

Ur example doesn't match the situation. Bendel Insurance and BCC did not win the ultimate Continental Price. Do u know what West Africa Club Championship is? Why would u rate BCC Lions over Iwuanyanwu Nationale?

G) "Nigeria's first Nations Cup was in 1963 and the major tribe that helped to qualify and participated was Yorubas with 9 key players. Nigeria qualified for the first Olympics football game in 1968, the dominate tribe that achieved that dream was Yorubas."

- Noted. But what did they win? U forgot to add that they left both tournaments without winning a single match.

H) "In 1976 Nigeria won her first medal in the African Cup of Nations when they came third and as usual Yorubas dominated the team with the likes of Muda Lawal, Haruna ilerika, Ojebode, Kunle Awesu etcetera. Ilerika and Awesu were in the CAF team of the tournament"

- As usual? I like the arrogance. But the fact is they've been more Igbos in CAF's teams of the tournament. If u doubt it, check it.

I) "Nigeria won it's first Nations Cup in 1980, Igbo's had 7 and Yorubas had 8 number of players but the first 11 was between 5 and 7 Yorubas"
"Yorubas had 2 players in CAF team of the tournament, Best Ogedegbe and Segun Odegbami"

No, Sir. They were 9. David Adiele, Okey Isima, Christian Chukwu, Aloysius Atuegbu, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Henry Nwosu, Sylvanus Okpala, Emmanuel Okala and Frank Onwuachi.

Pls, how did u arrive at 8 Yorubas? Also, name the 5 to 7 yorubas in the first 11?

Contribute, yes; dominate, no. Not every tribe has dominated. This argument has been enlightening. There's no denying the fact that the other tribes have done well (particularly the Yorubas). But I still agree with the writer that the Igbos have been the more dominant. For me the way u've tailored your arguments have given more credence to the idea that the Igbos have been dominant. U've not stuck with a tribe (u feel has been more dominant than the Igbos) but u've had to compare them with the achievements of multiple tribes put together and every now and again (when it's convenient) throw in someone who has neither played nor contributed to Nigerian Football (Someone who actual represents another country).

You no dey tire? After you posted the first one, you were not satisfied hence you came back to modify the post.

Bros, what is your defination of dominace? Pls lets start from there. Thanks
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by forgiveness: 2:46pm On Jan 18, 2016
P0intBlank:

This our argument nawa.

A) The topic says the dominance of Igbo tribe in Nigerian football and not Africa football. So, if you include CAF awards it's no longer Nigerian afair, it has become Igbo's dominance in Africa and Global football hence tribe must be considered above Nationality.

Did the performance of Kanu Nwankwo and Emmanuel Amuneke in European leagues made Nigeria Football either better or worst?

Is CAF award the only individual award in the World?
What about highest goal scorer awards in an European league or CAF & FIFA organised tournament?
European league team of the season awards?

Tell us how many of those individual awards they have won. Remember, Only two Igbo's had won Africa footballer of the Year likewise two Yorubas had won Africa footballer of the Year( when you extended from Nigeria dominance to Africa and global dominance). How come you excluded CAF most promising player of year award won three times by Yorubas( Obafemi Martins twice and Taye Taiwo) against the Igbo's winning only twice (Mikel Obi and Kelechi Iheanacho)? Does it count?

Like i said earlier, BBC is a new award and you will have a point if it was available in the 70s and 80s.

B) You are right Mercy Akide is from Rivers and she has won it only once.

C) i) Meaning Igbo's didn't dominate 1994 and 2013.

ii)http://ameyawdebrah.com/photos-samsung-presents-fair-play-prizes-dede-ayew-others-orange-african-cup-nations-2015/

Maybe this will help. It's awarded to the most skillful and talented player of the tournament. So, Victor Moses remains our best player in 2013 Africa nations cup while Rasheed Yekini remains our best player in 1994. Just like Messi dominates Barcelona both of them dominated the team.

D) Those three years we won the Nations cup trophies, did Igbo's single handedly won us the trophies? And since, you included under age 1996 team, I will take you back to 1985 under 16.

How many Igbo's took part in that first FIFA trophy? 1 (don't bother to count Nduka Ugbade because he is not Igbo).

How many Igbo's were there in 1993 FIFA U17 World Cup? 5

How many Igbo's were part of 2007 FIFA U17 World Cup? 1 or 2

How many Igbo's were part of the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup?
Only 4

How many Igbo's were part of the 2015 FIFA U17 World Cup? 13 to 14. Chai! God dey grin This is what i call dominance. Atleast, for the first time.)

So, out of 6 under age trophies(including Olympics football game) how many did Igbo's dominate?

E) It seems you don't know about Nigerian football. Every generation had good midfielders before Okocha. How come he was not a starter in 1994 Nations Cup and 1994 FIFA world Cup? But Muda Lawal was always a starter in any of our matches. You said Okocha played club football to the highest level. I am sorry, in the 1970s and early 80s nobody dey watch European football because Nigerian league was very good. Even, Pele's Santos can testify to that. So, if you played for Stationary stores, Shooting_Stars_F.C, Rangers, Bendel Insurance, BBC lions, Iwuanyanwu Nationale etcetera you are playing at the highest club level. What did Okocha win at the highest club level? Muda-lawal dominated club level and National level.

F) It doesn’t matter. Has Iwuanyanwu Nationale won just one continental trophy? Pls, come back when they do so.

G) It doesn’t matter. The title of the thread talks about dominance. So, they dominated the team and you forgot to tell us that they won their first medal(Bronze) in 1976 without 1 single igbo. That's all. Remember, we should have won it but because the referee was bribed we lost. After, investigation the referee was suspended for been bribed.

H) pls, prove it with facts.

I) Oh I see, I thought Adiele and Opala were not Igbo's. Sorry, my mistake. However, there are 7 Yorubas on the list. Shefiu was included on the list but i don't think he is Yoruba hence i excluded him for the list. Best Ogedegbe, Muda Lawal, Segun Odegbami, Felix Owolabi, Tunde Bamidele, John Orlando and Martins Eyo.
However, Ogedegbe is not from Warri, he is from Edo(Yoruba speaking part. Not too sure but his name sounds Yoruba). Even, if i exclude him Yorubas will be 6.

Starting 11: Best, Tunde, Isima, Chukwu, Atuegbu, Owolabi, Lawal, Odegbami, Odiye, Adokie, Adiele.

This is the starting line up of the Finals.

J) Maybe the recent performance of Kelechi Iheanacho and Kelechi Nwakali made the written to think so. But the truth is Igbo's never dominated Nigerian football.
Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by P0intBlank(m): 11:10pm On Jan 21, 2016
forgiveness:

A) The topic says the dominance of Igbo tribe in Nigerian football and not Africa football. So, if you include CAF awards it's no longer Nigerian afair, it has become Igbo's dominance in Africa and Global football hence tribe must be considered above Nationality.

Did the performance of Kanu Nwankwo and Emmanuel Amuneke in European leagues made Nigeria Football either better or worst?

Is CAF award the only individual award in the World?
What about highest goal scorer awards in an European league or CAF & FIFA organised tournament?
European league team of the season awards?

Tell us how many of those individual awards they have won. Remember, Only two Igbo's had won Africa footballer of the Year likewise two Yorubas had won Africa footballer of the Year( when you extended from Nigeria dominance to Africa and global dominance). How come you excluded CAF most promising player of year award won three times by Yorubas( Obafemi Martins twice and Taye Taiwo) against the Igbo's winning only twice (Mikel Obi and Kelechi Iheanacho)? Does it count?

Like i said earlier, BBC is a new award and you will have a point if it was available in the 70s and 80s.

B) You are right Mercy Akide is from Rivers and she has won it only once.

C) i) Meaning Igbo's didn't dominate 1994 and 2013.

ii)http://ameyawdebrah.com/photos-samsung-presents-fair-play-prizes-dede-ayew-others-orange-african-cup-nations-2015/

Maybe this will help. It's awarded to the most skillful and talented player of the tournament. So, Victor Moses remains our best player in 2013 Africa nations cup while Rasheed Yekini remains our best player in 1994. Just like Messi dominates Barcelona both of them dominated the team.

D) Those three years we won the Nations cup trophies, did Igbo's single handedly won us the trophies? And since, you included under age 1996 team, I will take you back to 1985 under 16.

How many Igbo's took part in that first FIFA trophy? 1 (don't bother to count Nduka Ugbade because he is not Igbo).

How many Igbo's were there in 1993 FIFA U17 World Cup? 5

How many Igbo's were part of 2007 FIFA U17 World Cup? 1 or 2

How many Igbo's were part of the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup?
Only 4

How many Igbo's were part of the 2015 FIFA U17 World Cup? 13 to 14. Chai! God dey grin This is what i call dominance. Atleast, for the first time.)

So, out of 6 under age trophies(including Olympics football game) how many did Igbo's dominate?

E) It seems you don't know about Nigerian football. Every generation had good midfielders before Okocha. How come he was not a starter in 1994 Nations Cup and 1994 FIFA world Cup? But Muda Lawal was always a starter in any of our matches. You said Okocha played club football to the highest level. I am sorry, in the 1970s and early 80s nobody dey watch European football because Nigerian league was very good. Even, Pele's Santos can testify to that. So, if you played for Stationary stores, Shooting_Stars_F.C, Rangers, Bendel Insurance, BBC lions, Iwuanyanwu Nationale etcetera you are playing at the highest club level. What did Okocha win at the highest club level? Muda-lawal dominated club level and National level.

F) It doesn’t matter. Has Iwuanyanwu Nationale won just one continental trophy? Pls, come back when they do so.

G) It doesn’t matter. The title of the thread talks about dominance. So, they dominated the team and you forgot to tell us that they won their first medal(Bronze) in 1976 without 1 single igbo. That's all. Remember, we should have won it but because the referee was bribed we lost. After, investigation the referee was suspended for been bribed.

H) pls, prove it with facts.

I) Oh I see, I thought Adiele and Opala were not Igbo's. Sorry, my mistake. However, there are 7 Yorubas on the list. Shefiu was included on the list but i don't think he is Yoruba hence i excluded him for the list. Best Ogedegbe, Muda Lawal, Segun Odegbami, Felix Owolabi, Tunde Bamidele, John Orlando and Martins Eyo.
However, Ogedegbe is not from Warri, he is from Edo(Yoruba speaking part. Not too sure but his name sounds Yoruba). Even, if i exclude him Yorubas will be 6.

Starting 11: Best, Tunde, Isima, Chukwu, Atuegbu, Owolabi, Lawal, Odegbami, Odiye, Adokie, Adiele.

This is the starting line up of the Finals.

J) Maybe the recent performance of Kelechi Iheanacho and Kelechi Nwakali made the written to think so. But the truth is Igbo's never dominated Nigerian football.

I just saw this. Didn't get any notification. Thanks for d response. I'll respond over d weekend. Hope ur week has been good. Take care

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mia & Ava Mikel Obi In New PhotosMikel Obi's Grown Twin Daughters / China Bans Footballers From Getting Tattoos / Ashleigh Plumptre: Leicester City Women's Star Keen On Playing For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 248
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.