Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,278 members, 7,811,829 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School (32906 Views)

First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. / How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by timilehing(m): 9:53pm On Nov 10, 2015
I had 2.01 in my year one 1st semester with 4 carry-overs out of 9 courses. To go school don tire me when I got that admission but thanks to God I still graduated with a better grade. Those 4 were my last carry-overs though

Thank God for your 3.39

2 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
thank you so much smiley
U welcome grin

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by being(m): 9:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
Two things:
First u don't need a first class in law, though if i have it, we'll clap for u. I think u should work towards a 2.1 say 4.2 which is very ok anyway u want to look at it.

Secondly, on hw to improve ur grades apart from being studious, u must work diligently ie with brain. Discuss with senior colleagues to know how dey got an A or what made them fail a course. It could be lecturer likes or hates stories, or doesn't lik u giving him his notes back word for word in an exam, etc Based on this, u then develop ur approach to d course.
So enjoy ur studies and extracurriculars but not at detriment of ur earthly or eternal future.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by youngguru23(m): 9:57pm On Nov 10, 2015
Bro sorry to say u don enta one chance, first year na for book less play, scnd year u can play bt nt 2much.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 10, 2015
Ugomba:
how many carryovers did you accumulate?
one in my second semester
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by sonnie10: 9:59pm On Nov 10, 2015
Limit the time you waste on Nairaland and you will be OK.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by StarMogul(m): 9:59pm On Nov 10, 2015
Sunnycliff:
Must you make a first class?
Anyway have a disciplined workable timetable! Read, Pray and have discussion class! Minimize time wasting activities and much social fanfare! Keep worthy friends!
Avoid Hoes, they sap the brain!!!

Goodluck
lol,sap d brain
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Jaynec(f): 10:04pm On Nov 10, 2015
Hmm how time fly. Op just reminded me my first year encounter @ unizik. I resumed very late cos of some admission issues that year. My first year result was very poor. 2.79. I prayed & read like mad, I asked God to help me make at least a good 2.1. 2nd year was far better 4.9 likewise 3rd & 4th. My dear just sit up well & trust God.

2 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Chinaboi(m): 10:07pm On Nov 10, 2015
mr man..
so u dey hope for 1st class...beta pray mak u enter 2:1. jack n cram well n put God in ur studies cos na only God go save you for dat dept
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Laredojohn(m): 10:09pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
hello, I'm a faculty of law student and I just finished my first year in school with with 3.39 cgpa and I'm getting the feeling that this year would be worse off, pls I really need your advice on how I can bounce back and make a first class before it is too late . your advice would not help only me but also others who are in my kind of predicament. Thank you

Bro...what to do to bounce back...is study hard,believe in ur self...and be determined, even if u dnt meet up a 1st class, meet up a 2.1

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by owoatiswag(m): 10:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
Logout of NL,drop your phone and start reading brov

2 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 10, 2015
francizy:
OP, never you take the words of the ode buruku above me serious ^^^ This is because prayers and no effort will definitely lead to undiluted failure.

On the topic at hand, OP, I used to be the kind of student who reads only a few days to exams only to obtain pass grades and move to the next class. Did all that in secondary school and during my WAEC/NECO and scaled thru. This is because i had no good secondary school background and no one was there to advise me. I wasnt even given the opportunity to study, hence i made up my mind that once i gained admission into Uni, i'll study hard and obtain reasonable grades. Then as I gained admission and heard loads of stuffs about ABU and how even brilliant mind find it difficult to succeed there, talk less one who knows nothing. All that made me reaffirm my commitment to study hard in Uni.

In my 100L first semester, I read like no one ever did (even to the point I started having eye problems). All my studying was in a bid to avoid having COs (never had any till I graduated tho) and also, to graduate with a 2.something GP. Imagine the standard I set for myself just because of what I heard about ABU. Well, I had a 2.67 in that first semester (same semester was the one I studied the most in my entire life). By second semester, I was gradually grabbing things that seemed difficult in the past, I had 3.49 and my GPs afterwards were, 3.96, 3.59 (most difficult Engineering semester in ABU and after I had this one, that was when I saw the possibilities of making a 2.1), 4.53 (this one pushed me into 2.1 CGPA), 4.27, 4.44, 4.63, 4.75...

My rise to a grade point I never had in mind was as a result of my effort. Sincerely speaking, op, I hardly attended Sunday services. My lifestyle back then was the easiest to map out as some people's were triangular (church, room and classroom), some were rectangular (church, room, classroom and social center) while mine was linear (room-classroom).

What am I saying in essence, OP,

know yourself-know when you're most comfortable studying and the best environment. This is because, some people understand better when they study with music, some understand better when they study in groups, some understand better when they study in a quiet place, etc. If you're studying at a particular time and sleep calls, don't force it, sleep and immediately you wake up, pick up your books and continue from where you stopped. I'm telling you all these because the semester I studied most in the Uni (100L first semester) was the one i had the lowest GP. In other semesters, i studied and when i was assimilating less, i pack my books and looked for the nearest babe or friend to gist with. I almost often went back to my books after gisting.

Make the most out of your past questions..

study hard, don't form big boy or big girl (humility pays), take what you don't understand to the gurus around you (I did this one a lot in my 100 and 200L.

Lastly, pray hard and study harder..
you can't imagine the positive impact what you just said has on me, thank you so very much.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by MedicalSamwise(m): 10:13pm On Nov 10, 2015
hollandis:

You are daft! Someone just hit the nail on the head you are still asking irrelevant questions. No wonder you are a second class lowest student

u are d daft one here.....ur reply is so shallow.....#ReceiveSense

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by lakeside30: 10:13pm On Nov 10, 2015
PresVA:
There's no miracle if not to give your VERY BEST in the subsequent semesters.

Study harder and pray!!

Seconded,you will need to be a step or two ahead,believe in yourself,this is what u want and then go for it,this is the decision I made those days in the university after messing up my first
,and at the end it pays off.#YESYOUCAN

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by hollandis(f): 10:15pm On Nov 10, 2015
Mznaett:

C'mon,those words hurt

Take it easy plsssundecided

Lets assume those that had a better score than him sorted each course..Will you still call him names since he did'nt join them?
Did you read what EZEIGBO1OFIMO said ?
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 10:15pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
you can't imagine the positive impact what you just said has on me, thank you so very much.

You're welcome..
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by hollandis(f): 10:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
yes that is why I really want your advice on how you think I can improve, hollandis

Now I know you are crazy .Go and read what EZEIGBO1OFIMO said.
Click the back button read what EZEIGBO1OFIMO and stop acting daft

EZEIGBO1OFIMO has provided the only reasonable opinion out of those who dropped advices
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by safarigirl(f): 10:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
Jarus:
Fiirst, there are very few cases of comebacks from a CGPA as low as 3.39 (and even an expectly worse second semester). Most first class grads have a track record from lower levels of education.

I'm aware of comebacks, but not as low as a 2.2 grade. For example, the best student in my class in the university started with a CGPA of 4.4 or so, and came back to overtake all of us early flyers and ended with a CGPA of 4.77 when we graduated.

That said, I don't think it's impossible. In fact, I have heard, but not sure how true, case of someone that was even in probation (less than 1.0) after first semester year 1, but still ended up with first class grade.

Mathematically, it is very possible, probably easy, given that you're doing a 5 year course.

Here is my practical advice: Get a list of all the courses you will do from year 1 to year 5. Punch them on excel or write them in a notebook, semester by semester, and put the corresponding units.

Put actuals for the first semester years that you already have.

Simulate what you need to score in each semester to rise to and stay above 4.50. Roughly, if you do eight 3-unit courses per semester, you will need not worse than A in 6 and B in 2, every semester to stand a chance. That's the minimum, by my roguh calculation, which appears to be a tough one.

Although I didn't start from a bad result, but I used this approach (writing down all courses from year 1 to 4 and setting target) and it was helpful. I actually wrote down all what I wanted to score from year 1 to year 4, after first semester year 1. I surpassed my target.

The articles here can also be helpful

http://www.jarushub.com/how-to-make-first-class-degree-in-the-university/
now you're making me feel dumb because I didn't even get up to 3.10 in my first year and it's still a good result here, better than most.

There has never been a first class graduate in law faculty in my school though, but in each set, you can count those on 4. and the 3-pointers usually pass them eventually.

Schools are different with different lecturers, OP should hope he gets good lecturers else, all his efforts will be in vain
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
Jarus:
Fiirst, there are very few cases of comebacks from a CGPA as low as 3.39 (and even an expectly worse second semester). Most first class grads have a track record from lower levels of education.

I'm aware of comebacks, but not as low as a 2.2 grade. For example, the best student in my class in the university started with a CGPA of 4.4 or so, and came back to overtake all of us early flyers and ended with a CGPA of 4.77 when we graduated.

That said, I don't think it's impossible. In fact, I have heard, but not sure how true, case of someone that was even in probation (less than 1.0) after first semester year 1, but still ended up with first class grade.

Mathematically, it is very possible, probably easy, given that you're doing a 5 year course.

Here is my practical advice: Get a list of all the courses you will do from year 1 to year 5. Punch them on excel or write them in a notebook, semester by semester, and put the corresponding units.

Simulate what you need to score in each semester to rise to and stay above 4.50. Roughly, if you do eight 3-unit courses per semester, you will need not worse than A in 6 and B in 2, every semester to stand a chance. That's the minimum, by my roguh calculation, which appears to be a tough one.

Although I didn't start from a bad result, but I used this approach (writing down all courses from year 1 to 4 and setting target) and it was helpful. I actually wrote down all what I wanted to score from year 1 to year 4, after first semester year 1. I surpassed my target.

This man is wise
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Originalsly: 10:25pm On Nov 10, 2015
My advice..... it may sound radical but is most effective. Forget about grades and first class. Form a study group...small one....no book worms but with people who are pretty smart and love to discuss. Try to understand each lecture...make brief notes of important points. ... do the necessary readings...then let the group meet to discuss each lecture. "Two heads are better than one".....you would be surprised to learn how wrong you would be on so many points. When you discuss and argue and scrutinize a subject inside out....you would know and understand it so very well that there will be no need to spend much time studying that one again....and there is no question that you can't answer on that subject. Higher grades would then be automatic. Worked for me...why can't it work for you? Give it a try!
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by safarigirl(f): 10:26pm On Nov 10, 2015
Mznaett:

C'mon,those words hurt

Take it easy plsssundecided

Lets assume those that had a better score than him sorted each course..Will you still call him names since he did'nt join them?
let's assume he also sorted.

I have no idea why anyone would start a thread complaining about 3.39 in first year and call it 'bad'.....by what standards of which school? Because 3.39 in law faculty in my school is very good for Year 1.....

This is not a problem and the bros is not serious, now, the guy who came last year to complain about a 1.79 had more of a case.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 10, 2015
hollandis:

Now I know you are crazy .Go and read what EZEIGBO1OFIMO said.
Click the back button read what EZEIGBO1OFIMO and stop acting daft

EZEIGBO1OFIMO has provided the only reasonable opinion out of those who dropped advices
I can't believe you can be this harsh to your fellow human being, thank you.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 10, 2015
OP, failure has within it very useful seeds of success. That you're troubled about your current CGPA means you don't want to settle for less than you think you deserve. I don't believe in the noise about grades or first class but I do believe if you're smart and disciplined enough, your best efforts will very likely give you good grades.

Understand Yourself. This is the beginning point of failure or success in the institutions. You really need to assess your abilities, peculiarities and limitations. Find out when best you love to study, how long you need to sleep to get enough rest for the rigours of studying, your pattern of assimilation, etc. Refuse to be lured into the reading patterns. Refuse to copy other students methods and styles. Get your own style. Be yourself.

Understand Your lecturers, CGPA system. You can't manage something you don't understand. You need to know those ones that appreciate cramming and those who appreciate and encourage ingenuity and originality. You can ask from your senior colleagues for direction. Also you must understand how the results are graded. You need to pay more attention to courses with higher credit units than those with lower credit loads. It's simple.

Study smart. I hate studying entirely for exams. I'm a lazy student so I read everyday. I don't have the stamina for last minute cramming and reading. I prepare well in advance. You really need to seat down and burn the hours. You need to read well and long,if necessary. Get your materials on time and start the journey on time. Time runs very fast when you're in school.

Your friends. No need to hammer much here. You're an average of the FIVE persons you spend most of your time with. Identify the gifted and talented folks and make them your friends. You'll most likely gain more from their talk than you'll do studying on your own. Leverage their talents.

The Rat Race. Schools are designed to launch you into the rat race. Grades are important but they're NOT the most important thing in life. Do your best though. You must thinking outside the JOB HAUNT mentality as soon as possible. Start thinking of having your own form from now. Meanwhile don't allow your academics interfere with your education. Enjoy. Explore. Mingle with the intelligent as well as the academically weak students. Balance is key.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Mznaett: 10:30pm On Nov 10, 2015
hollandis:
Did you read what EZEIGBO1OFIMO said ?
Yes I did!
I believe he understood the post too BUT was'nt satisfied hence the question

2 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Chibenze(m): 10:32pm On Nov 10, 2015
Demmocrats:
hmmm

Nigerians and there 5.0 syndrome that's why we can never produce minds like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg etc

Grades is good but try to learn than to cram and come out with 5.0

Innoson is not a firstclass student but he employs first class.

Ifesinachi owns fleets of buses and still employ graduates.

Dangote is not a first class student still he imploys pHd holders.

Gani if am correct made third class and am sure thousands of first class lawyers in Nigeria today can' match his accomplishments.

Grades doesn't determine success, try learn and understand not cram by hardwork, good grades will fall in later.

I know so many first class that are jobless.

SEUN(GENIUS) is a dropout but am 100 percent sure he can feed his whole village including those with first class.

Bro don't kill yourself over a number, its just a number.

SEUN a dropout? do you have prove to ur claim?
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:42pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
hello, I'm a faculty of law student and I just finished my first year in school with with 3.39 cgpa and I'm getting the feeling that this year would be worse off, pls I really need your advice on how I can bounce back and make a first class before it is too late . your advice would not help only me but also others who are in my kind of predicament. Thank you

Aim 4 as many As as possible, let ur least score b Bs u ll achieve ur aim. More so u dont need a 1st class 2 attend law school. Best of luck

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by chinchum(m): 10:48pm On Nov 10, 2015
@ op, be realistic,cut the first class chase, chase 2-1 instead., and by the way law places less premium on grades compared to many other courses , instead focus and work more on your sagacity, confidence level, public speaking, networking with highly connected individuals, join groups like JCI , rotaract, e.t.c. they will be more beneficial after graduation. Trust me. If i wanted to deceive you, i will tell you first class is still very possible, meanwhile it is only possible on mathematical calculations on paper. I am an Engineer, but i know Law lectures hardly dash out 5's for mostly 4 unit courses.

2 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by GboyegaD(m): 10:53pm On Nov 10, 2015
Jarus:

Funny enough, both of them (S.A. and K.T.) and the next to them (F.F) all started with 4.4 GPA.

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by teewhydope(m): 11:00pm On Nov 10, 2015
Chibenze:

SEUN a dropout? do you have prove to ur claim?

Newbie i guess grin
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by hollandis(f): 11:06pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
I can't believe you can be this harsh to your fellow human being, thank you.

This is not being harsh .I am training you on how to be a man
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Mznaett: 11:07pm On Nov 10, 2015
safarigirl:
let's assume he also sorted.

I have no idea why anyone would start a thread complaining about 3.39 in first year and call it 'bad'.....by what standards of which school? Because 3.39 in law faculty in my school is very good for Year 1.....

This is not a problem and the bros is not serious, now, the guy who came last year to complain about a 1.79 had more of a case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Delsu Admission List Is Out / 18 Photos Graduates And Undergraduates Can Relate To / Final Year LASU Student Killed In An Accident Caused By Stray Cow.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.