Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School (32918 Views)

First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. / How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Dallazday(m): 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2015
francizy:
OP, never you take the words of the ode buruku above me serious ^^^ This is because prayers and no effort will definitely lead to undiluted failure.

On the topic at hand, OP, I used to be the kind of student who reads only a few days to exams only to obtain pass grades and move to the next class. Did all that in secondary school and during my WAEC/NECO and scaled thru. This is because i had no good secondary school background and no one was there to advise me. I wasnt even given the opportunity to study, hence i made up my mind that once i gained admission into Uni, i'll study hard and obtain reasonable grades. Then as I gained admission and heard loads of stuffs about ABU and how even brilliant mind find it difficult to succeed there, talk less one who knows nothing. All that made me reaffirm my commitment to study hard in Uni.

In my 100L first semester, I read like no one ever did (even to the point I started having eye problems). All my studying was in a bid to avoid having COs (never had any till I graduated tho) and also, to graduate with a 2.something GP. Imagine the standard I set for myself just because of what I heard about ABU. Well, I had a 2.67 in that first semester (same semester was the one I studied the most in my entire life). By second semester, I was gradually grabbing things that seemed difficult in the past, I had 3.49 and my GPs afterwards were, 3.96, 3.59 (most difficult Engineering semester in ABU and after I had this one, that was when I saw the possibilities of making a 2.1), 4.53 (this one pushed me into 2.1 CGPA), 4.27, 4.44, 4.63, 4.75...

My rise to a grade point I never had in mind was as a result of my effort. Sincerely speaking, op, I hardly attended Sunday services. My lifestyle back then was the easiest to map out as some people's were triangular (church, room and classroom), some were rectangular (church, room, classroom and social center) while mine was linear (room-classroom).

What am I saying in essence, OP,

know yourself-know when you're most comfortable studying and the best environment. This is because, some people understand better when they study with music, some understand better when they study in groups, some understand better when they study in a quiet place, etc. If you're studying at a particular time and sleep calls, don't force it, sleep and immediately you wake up, pick up your books and continue from where you stopped. I'm telling you all these because the semester I studied most in the Uni (100L first semester) was the one i had the lowest GP. In other semesters, i studied and when i was assimilating less, i pack my books and looked for the nearest babe or friend to gist with. I almost often went back to my books after gisting.

Make the most out of your past questions..

Don't form big boy or big girl (humility pays), take what you don't understand to the gurus around you (I did this one a lot in my 100 and 200L.

Lastly, pray hard and study harder..
Linus mba angry
francizy:
OP, never you take the words of the ode buruku above me serious ^^^ This is because prayers and no effort will definitely lead to undiluted failure.

On the topic at hand, OP, I used to be the kind of student who reads only a few days to exams only to obtain pass grades and move to the next class. Did all that in secondary school and during my WAEC/NECO and scaled thru. This is because i had no good secondary school background and no one was there to advise me. I wasnt even given the opportunity to study, hence i made up my mind that once i gained admission into Uni, i'll study hard and obtain reasonable grades. Then as I gained admission and heard loads of stuffs about ABU and how even brilliant mind find it difficult to succeed there, talk less one who knows nothing. All that made me reaffirm my commitment to study hard in Uni.

In my 100L first semester, I read like no one ever did (even to the point I started having eye problems). All my studying was in a bid to avoid having COs (never had any till I graduated tho) and also, to graduate with a 2.something GP. Imagine the standard I set for myself just because of what I heard about ABU. Well, I had a 2.67 in that first semester (same semester was the one I studied the most in my entire life). By second semester, I was gradually grabbing things that seemed difficult in the past, I had 3.49 and my GPs afterwards were, 3.96, 3.59 (most difficult Engineering semester in ABU and after I had this one, that was when I saw the possibilities of making a 2.1), 4.53 (this one pushed me into 2.1 CGPA), 4.27, 4.44, 4.63, 4.75...

My rise to a grade point I never had in mind was as a result of my effort. Sincerely speaking, op, I hardly attended Sunday services. My lifestyle back then was the easiest to map out as some people's were triangular (church, room and classroom), some were rectangular (church, room, classroom and social center) while mine was linear (room-classroom).

know yourself-know when you're most comfortable studying and the best environment. This is because, some people understand better when they study with music, some understand better when they study in groups, some understand better when they study in a quiet place, etc. If you're studying at a particular time and sleep calls, don't force it, sleep and immediately you wake up, pick up your books and continue from where you stopped. I'm telling you all these because the semester I studied most in the Uni (100L first semester) was the one i had the lowest GP. In other semesters, i studied and when i was assimilating less, i pack my books and looked for the nearest babe or friend to gist with. I almost often went back to my books after gisting.

Don't form big boy or big girl (humility pays), take what you don't understand to the gurus around you (I did this one a lot in my 100 and 200L.

Linus mba
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Moblord(m): 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2015
francizy:

this one inspire me die. Am in a similar situation

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2015
Dallazday:
Linus mba angry Linus mba

Do I have to upload my unofficial academic transcript or my ABU statement of result before I cure your ignorance, oh ye doubting Thomas?
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by KingTom(m): 4:02pm On Nov 11, 2015
francizy:

Do I have to upload my unofficial academic transcript or my ABU statement of result before I cure your ignorance, oh ye doubting Thomas?
Elias the Lion King. Laide grin
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by ekjerez(m): 4:54pm On Nov 11, 2015
read every day.gather past questions, browse the internet and read widely write whatever you gain from internet along with what you have read read from library stands. live good. and pray even fast.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2015
KingTom:
Elias the Lion King. Laide grin

Go sidown ni oh jare! tongue cheesy
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by KingTom(m): 7:29pm On Nov 11, 2015
francizy:

Go sidown ni oh jare! tongue cheesy

Oga o grin
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Flashh: 10:05pm On Nov 11, 2015
obiak4:

why ''girls'' on every advice na girls dey make your brain malfunction
apparently it on records kids on nairaland.
Every hoe is a girl but not all girls r hoe
Mr ṣtupid I won't blame you for your inability to comprehend my post.

People like you are the type that makes girls take over your life and before you realize it its too late.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Dallazday(m): 10:49pm On Nov 11, 2015
francizy:

lai Muhammad
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by obiak4(m): 5:30am On Nov 12, 2015
Flashh:

Mr ṣtupid I won't blame you for your inability to comprehend my post.

People like you are the type that makes girls take over your life and before you realize it its too late.

mr wise what wrong been tutor by a ''girl'' maybe you came from a family where women r seen and not heard,
get a life and pray your sisters get a guy who treat them like queen and not bunching bags
in the real world you are not even good enough to loose my shoe blessed be
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Ezegozie(m): 7:10am On Nov 12, 2015
Japhet04:
hello, I'm a faculty of law student and I just finished my first year in school with with 3.39 cgpa and I'm getting the feeling that this year would be worse off, pls I really need your advice on how I can bounce back and make a first class before it is too late . your advice would not help only me but also others who are in my kind of predicament. Thank you

Forget these imaginery and moonlight stories some peeps are telling you here.

Let me tell you the 100% truth.

Law is a five years course.
And from the information you supplied.
You have 3.39 GP in your 1st year.

It means that you are required to get atleast 4.80 average GP in every other remaining sections for you to get the minimun Gp for first class which is 4.50

Then listen.
For you to have a self-acclaimed 3.39 In your first year and is even complaining that this year will be worse off, means that you are an average student or slightly above average and it will be practically so difficult if not impossible for you to make atleast 4.80 in the remaining four sections stipulated for Law .

So my advise for you is to FORGET about First class, because you CANT make it.
Thats just the bitter truth.

Start targeting your aim at 2.1 so that you will not be shocked at the last day of your University.

Remember I am not trying to discourage you, I am just telling you the 100% truth.
It may be bitter, but thats just the fact.
Thanks and remain blessed
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 8:03am On Nov 12, 2015
Dallazday:
lai Muhammad

Ok
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Flashh: 9:31am On Nov 12, 2015
obiak4:

mr wise what wrong been tutor by a ''girl'' maybe you came from a family where women r seen and not heard,
get a life and pray your sisters get a guy who treat them like queen and not bunching punching bags
I think you should go back to secondary school and start afresh because you don't know how to spell and don't also know when to use coma (,) and full stop (.) in your post.

You're talking off-point to my post totally. Who's talking about treating girls bad or turning them to punch bag here?

Please don't embarrass yourself any further, just go to the library and brush up your ignorance.

in the real world you are not even good enough to loose my shoe blessed be

What's this dimwitted Rétard saying? I can never use that shirt you wore in your DP as rag in my dog's cage. You're nothing but poor a local boy who lacks vision.

2 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Moblord(m): 3:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
francizy:

please how often do you do TDB reading?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 4:07pm On Nov 12, 2015
Moblord:
please how often do you do TDB reading?

I did TDB more in my 100 and 200L (100L was number one tho) and in cases where I had not completed a particular course before the exam date. But I actually write better when I didn't do TDB than when I did it. From my 300L till 500L, I did less of that (say about 1-5 times) and I passed more within these periods. I'll always advise people to start reading immediately they resume for a new semester, even if the lecturers haven't started coming. I usually sourced for pass notes and handouts before the commencement of each semester. I was actually the rep of my class so getting past notes was quite easy..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 4:11pm On Nov 12, 2015
Moblord:
this one inspire me die. Am in a similar situation

Hopefully you will excel beyond measures by the grace of the Almighty! cool

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Moblord(m): 7:16pm On Nov 12, 2015
francizy:

Hopefully you will excel beyond measures by the grace of the Almighty! cool
Amen my brother. Thank u very much

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
Moblord:
Amen my brother. Thank u very much

Welcome bro..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Moblord(m): 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
francizy:

I did TDB more in my 100 and 200L (100L was number one tho) and in cases where I had not completed a particular course before the exam date. But I actually write better when I didn't do TDB than when I did it. From my 300L till 500L, I did less of that (say about 1-5 times) and I passed more within these periods. I'll always advise people to start reading immediately they resume for a new semester, even if the lecturers haven't started coming. I usually sourced for pass notes and handouts before the commencement of each semester. I was actually the rep of my class so getting past notes was quite easy..
Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2015
Moblord:
Thank you.

Ensure to do away with social media at every semester and resume after all your exams. Nonetheless, never fail to source information on Google when you find something difficult to understand or when you wanna do your assignments..
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Moblord(m): 8:07pm On Nov 12, 2015
francizy:

Ensure to do away with social media at every semester and resume after all your exams. Nonetheless, never fail to source information on Google when you find something difficult to understand or when you wanna do your assignments..
alright, thats what am planning to do. Am grateful

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 12, 2015
francizy:

Lastly, please do away with social networks while in school..
ok
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Dallazday(m): 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
francizy:

Ok
good
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kbs468(m): 2:14pm On Nov 14, 2015
petiteee:
It always good to start on a good note coz it like d higher u go d more difficult it seems for u to rise more Dan wher u started from. It might not be so for everybody but it was so for me. I started on a 4.33GPA and trust me I found it difficult to go beyond that not because I was distracted but probabaly of the volumnous of work. And at the end I come out with 3.7CGPA.

In ur next semester make sure ur GPA is likke On A 4point at least. Datz d only way ur current GP can increase. Ask ursef the tings u weren't doing during d last session. Ow many hours do u read for? Are u the type dat waits for 3weeks to exam bfore u start going to night class and start jacking? What kind of friends do u keep? Friends dat stab classes? Friends dat get to class late? Or friends dat love sitting at the back(am not saying u shd sit in front, I neva sat in front) do u put efforts to assignments? Wot about Test?(one of the things dat was my major setback was I neva alwys did well in Class Test but always do well in exams. Maybe coz I don't take tests serious. It was a bad habit)tests are like close to 30% plus assignments.

Work on these things

And pls FLEE from carryova and poor grades! Those devils kills one's CGPA morale grin I neva had a carryova but I had 2 poor grades in my 200level not because I didn't do well but coz I didn't buy handouts (I was dead broke). D annoying part was dat lecturer took us in abt 2 courses and I thk it was a 3unit course.I narrowly escaped carryova probaly coz d lecturer had a conscience of not giving me a F seeing ow well I performed. And dat was when my CGPA droped to a 4.01. So pls anywher Belle face, follow o. BUT NEVER PAY A LECTURER To PASS!
Word! Let me quote U 4 U 2 knw I more than believe U and about d next 5 months in anoda post. Dont worry #Alwaysbelieve
BTW, I must confess dat we almost had a similar experience going by ur submission above both frm d beginning, middle and final classification though my own reasons 4 d drop includes same attitude as urs towards tests and a strange illness dat kept me away frm skul/studies in my yr 3 second semester not until 1 week to exam b4 resuming and I was fortunate 2 pack a set of E grades with no C/O *Mo yin Olorun logoo*
So like I always say and believe, 'WHAT WILL BE WILL BE' and dis actually played out in my case relative to me starting wit 4.52 and ending up wit 3.83.
So Japhet04 if U are destined to end up wit 1st Class, believe U me everything will automatically play out itself just like a coursemate of ours who began wit 1.52 in mathematical science department not dat he is not gud oo and we conduct tutorials together but when exams comes and go, his result speaks otherwise so he had 2 drop down to a lower level as a condition 4 change of course and department, I swear as at our time of graduation, he was runnin 4.27 in Psychology department dat was in 300level but I dont knw what he finally graduated with anyway but I guess he cant go out of 2:1 wit just 2 semesters left except if he suffered a worst scenerio dan me so we shouldn't always forget about what destiny means in our lives although i am not saying U too should change course/department/faculty oo but just do ur things as advised and not overwhelming urself wit unnecessary mental pressure ok.
PS: Petiteee congrats for ur past while in skul and in advance for ur future oo as U stay positive and think positive always.
Note : My reference point is never meant to spark up any debate about what course/program/ or discipline is superior to the other oo but purely made to buttress my claim of how destiny speaks volume in the life of we humans and nothing more absolutely
cc
Moblord
francizy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by petiteee(f): 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2015
Kbs468:

Word! Let me quote U 4 U 2 knw I more than believe U and about d next 5 months in anoda post. Dont worry #Alwaysbelieve
BTW, I must confess dat we almost had a similar experience going by ur submission above both frm d beginning, middle and final classification though my own reasons 4 d drop includes same attitude as urs towards tests and a strange illness dat kept me away frm skul/studies in my yr 3 second semester not until 1 week to exam b4 resuming and I was fortunate 2 pack a set of E grades with no C/O *Mo yin Olorun logoo*
So like I always say and believe, 'WHAT WILL BE WILL BE' and dis actually played out in my case relative to me starting wit 4.52 and ending up wit 3.83.
So Japhet04 if U are destined to end up wit 1st Class, believe U me everything will automatically play out itself just like a coursemate of ours who began wit 1.52 in mathematical science department not dat he is not gud oo and we conduct tutorials together but when exams comes and go, his result speaks otherwise so he had 2 drop down to a lower level as a condition 4 change of course and department, I swear as at our time of graduation, he was runnin 4.27 in Psychology department dat was in 300level but I dont knw what he finally graduated with anyway but I guess he cant go out of 2:1 wit just 2 semesters left except if he suffered a worst scenerio dan me so we shouldn't always forget about what destiny means in our lives.
PS: Petiteee congrats for ur past while in skul and in advance for ur future as U stay positive and think positive always.
Note : My reference point is never meant to spark up any debate about what course/program/ or discipline is superior to the other oo but purely made to buttress my claim of how destiny speaks volume in the life of we humans and nothing more absolutely
Hmmm! Mr Obs, where did u dig dis out from? ow re u! Quite sth in common, I must admit
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kbs468(m): 3:13pm On Nov 14, 2015
petiteee:
Hmmm! Mr Obs, where did u dig dis out from? ow re u! Quite sth in common, I must admit
Laughs and smh @ Mr Obs. Just like hw evrytin spans out 2 form d idealogy of a relative destiny, I neva posted a comment d day I saw dis topic on FP but out of d curiosity of learnig some tips about accounting frm U afterall ppl who never read it became chartered accountants, so I saw it.
I am fine and U? How is ur PPA? Even though its weekend already and U've not replied my oda post about dat.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 3:33pm On Nov 14, 2015
Kbs468:

So Japhet04 if U are destined to end up wit 1st Class, believe U me everything will automatically play out itself just like a coursemate of ours who began wit 1.52 in mathematical science department not dat he is not gud oo and we conduct tutorials together but when exams comes and go, his result speaks otherwise so he had 2 drop down to a lower level as a condition 4 change of course and department, I swear as at our time of graduation, he was runnin 4.27 in Psychology department dat was in 300level but I dont knw what he finally graduated with anyway but I guess he cant go out of 2:1 wit just 2 semesters left except if he suffered a worst scenerio dan me so we shouldn't always forget about what destiny means in our lives although i am not saying U too should change course/department/faculty oo but just do ur things advised and not overwhelming urself wit unnecessary mental pressure ok.
PS: Petiteee congrats for ur past while in skul and in advance for ur future oo as U stay positive and think positive always.
cc
Moblord
francizy

Nice points raised. I have a friend like that, she applied for a medical related course via ABU remedials, but was given Mechanical Engineering (can you beat the way ABU changes people's destiny? cheesy). She tried but couldn't cope. Had chain COs and always managed a 1.something GP for about 2 semesters before quitting Engineering for Statistics. This babe ended up graduating with a 2.1 from Statistics.

Such things happen a lot. Even happens especially to medical students who may not be able to cope in medicine but will drop to Microbiology or some other course and blast first class or thereabout.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kbs468(m): 5:02pm On Nov 14, 2015
francizy:

Nice points raised. I have a friend like that, she applied for a medical related course via ABU remedials, but was given Mechanical Engineering (can you beat the way ABU changes people's destiny? cheesy). She tried but couldn't cope. Had chain COs and always managed a 1.something GP for about 2 semesters before quitting Engineering for Statistics. This babe ended up graduating with a 2.1 from Statistics.

Such things happen a lot. Even happens especially to medical students who may not be able to cope in medicine but will drop to Microbiology or some other course and blast first class or thereabout.
No don't blame ur skul 4 changing courses for students because such actions are not restricted 2 urs alone as d competitive nature of some courses relative 2 d admission quota, UTME & post UTME scores and sometimes O'level deficiencies ar usually responsible 4 d changes and I am sure Petiteee and others here can attest 2 dis fact dat a similar trend is obtainable in their various Alma Mater which often times is responsible 4 d poor performances thereafter either directly or indirectly owing 2 d admission of psychological defeat by d victims of such process of course change by d academic authorities.
And again d entire concept of course/department/faculty change and destiny dat I am talking about does not necessarily imply dat a distinctive category of success will emanate frm such as we seem to b pointing out from our point of references, atleast 4 d sake of objectivity in d mind of other readers but one thing is sure -AN UPGRADE on d previous standing is usually assured as those concerned normally brace up 2 d challenge d 2nd chance is offering dem. Happy weekend everyone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by petiteee(f): 5:44pm On Nov 14, 2015
Kbs468:

Laughs and smh @ Mr Obs. Just like hw evrytin spans out 2 form d idealogy of a relative destiny, I neva posted a comment d day I saw dis topic on FP but out of d curiosity of learnig some tips about accounting frm U afterall ppl who never read it became chartered accountants, so I saw it.
I am fine and U? How is ur PPA? Even though its weekend already and U've not replied my oda post about dat.
u'v been digging! Welldone! . PPA is fine. Not been there since Tues tho, took few days leave to do sth important.reply to d oda post, it isn't a sch, neither is it a LG but sth cool but taking my time and wearing me out with my oda program sad
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kbs468(m): 7:52pm On Nov 14, 2015
petiteee:
u'v been digging! Welldone! . PPA is fine. Not been there since Tues tho, took few days leave to do sth important.reply to d oda post, it isn't a sch, neither is it a LG but sth cool but taking my time and wearing me out with my oda program sad
hmmmn Ok
I kind of like ur choice of d word 'cool' to conceal tins to urself and pls don't let anything overwhelm U ok afterall U will soon put to an end everytin about nysc.
Ar U on WhatsApp?
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by petiteee(f): 7:58pm On Nov 14, 2015
Kbs468:

hmmmn Ok
I kind of like ur choice of d word 'cool' to conceal tins to urself and pls don't let anything overwhelm U ok afterall U will soon put to an end everytin about nysc.
Ar U on WhatsApp?
u don't expect me to say my num on 'air' naum do u?
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kbs468(m): 11:27pm On Nov 14, 2015
petiteee:
u don't expect me to say my num on 'air' naum do u?
absolutely not. Are U still awake? If not just let me knw when U around so dat U will copy it cos mail is aving issues 4 now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Final Year LASU Student Killed In An Accident Caused By Stray Cow. / Education Is meant for those who can afford it(picture) / Students Shutdown Polytechnic Ibadan, Lock Lecturers Out Over Tuition, Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.