Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,970 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School (32917 Views)

First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. / How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 11:11pm On Nov 10, 2015
hollandis:

This is not being harsh .I am training you on how to be a man
its ok
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 10, 2015
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by adakoleagbenu: 11:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
So many ones here are just deceiving you. If it was that easy,why didn't they make 1st class themselves?. Look at it this way. Chelsea started the season badly. It is still mathematically possible for Chelsea to win the league,but that is unrealistic. More realistic is the fact that they can still finish in the top 4. See,aim for a second class upper,then you can know your dream is highly attainable. Most first class graduates had at least a 4.0 in their first year. You even said you had a carry over. That will affect you. A 2.1 is more realistic. And pls avoid carry overs. I had a 2.73 in my first year. I wasn't really serious,I had up to 6 D's and E's combined so you can imagine. I braced up,in my second year,I hit 3.76 and my CGPA rose to 3.2. I hit 3.54 in my 3rd year and my CGPA hit 3.3. I hit 4.13 in my 4th year and my CGPA hit 3.53. I came out with a 2.1. You can do it. Gotta believe. Study hard,pray,ask questions. Hit that strong 2.1...at least 4.0. In your case don't aim too high and then crash when it wasn't attained

6 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by africandictator(m): 11:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
brother aim for the moon and you may settle among the stars... First class is goood, 2.1 is good too.. Even 2.2, main thing is passing law school exam, thats the real test... Though i am not a law student, if you go through my profile, you would notice i opened a similiar thread to yours mid this year..
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 10, 2015
Google his biography
Chibenze:

SEUN a dropout? do you have prove to ur claim?
It's true.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by RexTramadol1: 11:39pm On Nov 10, 2015

That's much! grin grin grin
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kipstar(m): 12:04am On Nov 11, 2015
Alhamdulillah Alhamdulillah Alhamdulillah!! I'm currently a 300L returning student of FUT Akure. I offer a five-years degree program which is a norm in any Uni. of Tech. in Nigeria. I enrolled for Urban and Regional Planning to be precise . I had a very low GPA of about 1.05 during my first semester in school, had a CGPA of 1.41 at the end of the session coupled with loads of C.O's. After this terrifying challenge I felt so bad that I made up my mind to sit tight and do things right. I realized that BY WORKING SMART I COULD GREATLY DIMINISH THE EFFORT REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE MY GOALS. That'll continue to be my watch word as I proceed in school. It did work a lot and also I never joked with Allah in all I did. Miraculously I had a G.P.A of 4.18 in the first semester and still awaiting my second semester's result which hopefully would be better.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Gerrard59(m): 12:18am On Nov 11, 2015
Chibenze:

SEUN a dropout? do you have prove to ur claim?

Although Seun was a dropout, he was a First Class student when he dropped and also led his class or set (Read it on an OAU thread).

My succinct advice to OP, is to firstly do away with nay sayers, the never do well, the unlucky and unhappy ( 48 laws of power #16). It could be infectious and contagious, their common words are

You can't make a First Class.
The lecturer won't give you.
Soyinka made a 3rd Class (which he denied).
Bill Gates dropped out, forgetting he went to Havard not UST and had one of the highest SAT scores.
First Class is not everything ( Only holders have the right to "vomit" such).
People don't make First Class in law, as if a certain Kazeem in Uniillorin didn't make one.

Francizy literally said everything, study yourself and endeavor to read Saturday Punch Newspaper article on Campus Champion and Jarushub articles.

I want to believe you have what it takes. Ciao.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 12:49am On Nov 11, 2015
Japhet04:
hello, I'm a faculty of law student and I just finished my first year in school with with 3.39 cgpa and I'm getting the feeling that this year would be worse off, pls I really need your advice on how I can bounce back and make a first class before it is too late . your advice would not help only me but also others who are in my kind of predicament. Thank you

You can't bounce back. There's no chance.

Just quit school and go and start work as a conductor.

The kind stupid questions our undergraduates ask eh..
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by djbussy(m): 12:54am On Nov 11, 2015
STOP ANYONE WHO PAYS YOUR SCHOOL FEE AND WORK TO PAY FOR IT.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by lastpage: 1:44am On Nov 11, 2015
PRAY REGULARLY (Didn't say you should become an S.U oooo. grin grin
STUDY HARD
PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS
FOCUS & MEDITATE ON WHAT YOU READ
BE VERY DETERMINED AND BELIEVE YOU WILL DO IT
REST WELL
EXERCISE MODERATELY
SHUN any and every Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Do those and you will surprise yourself!

Note: There is no "short-cut" to success...... it is methodical but easy, if you focus.

Lastpage!
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by lastpage: 1:47am On Nov 11, 2015
adakoleagbenu:
So many ones here are just deceiving you. If it was that easy,why didn't they make 1st class themselves?. Look at it this way. Chelsea started the season badly. It is still mathematically possible for Chelsea to win the league,but that is unrealistic. More realistic is the fact that they can still finish in the top 4. See,aim for a second class upper,then you can know your dream is highly attainable. Most first class graduates had at least a 4.0 in their first year. You even said you had a carry over. That will affect you. A 2.1 is more realistic. And pls avoid carry overs. I had a 2.73 in my first year. I wasn't really serious,I had up to 6 D's and E's combined so you can imagine. I braced up,in my second year,I hit 3.76 and my CGPA rose to 3.2. I hit 3.54 in my 3rd year and my CGPA hit 3.3. I hit 4.13 in my 4th year and my CGPA hit 3.53. I came out with a 2.1. You can do it. Gotta believe. Study hard,pray,ask questions. Hit that strong 2.1...at least 4.0. In your case don't aim too high and then crash when it wasn't attained

You are very realistic...... and that is good and true.

Lastpage!
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by leookagbare: 1:49am On Nov 11, 2015
Na wa o. Chris browns ex girlfriend is coming to naija to base. Waiting she want come do for naija?. See full details at http://medianehd.com/2015/11/chris-brown-ex-karrueche-tran-is-coming-to-nigeria-on-the-15th/
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nemesis99(m): 2:22am On Nov 11, 2015
Be a better student by sitting up. Don't forget to cut off bad influences
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 3:11am On Nov 11, 2015
francizy:
OP, never you take the words of the ode buruku above me serious ^^^ This is because prayers and no effort will definitely lead to undiluted failure.

On the topic at hand, OP, I used to be the kind of student who reads only a few days to exams only to obtain pass grades and move to the next class. Did all that in secondary school and during my WAEC/NECO and scaled thru. This is because i had no good secondary school background and no one was there to advise me. I wasnt even given the opportunity to study, hence i made up my mind that once i gained admission into Uni, i'll study hard and obtain reasonable grades. Then as I gained admission and heard loads of stuffs about ABU and how even brilliant mind find it difficult to succeed there, talk less one who knows nothing. All that made me reaffirm my commitment to study hard in Uni.

In my 100L first semester, I read like no one ever did (even to the point I started having eye problems). All my studying was in a bid to avoid having COs (never had any till I graduated tho) and also, to graduate with a 2.something GP. Imagine the standard I set for myself just because of what I heard about ABU. Well, I had a 2.67 in that first semester (same semester was the one I studied the most in my entire life). By second semester, I was gradually grabbing things that seemed difficult in the past, I had 3.49 and my GPs afterwards were, 3.96, 3.59 (most difficult Engineering semester in ABU and after I had this one, that was when I saw the possibilities of making a 2.1), 4.53 (this one pushed me into 2.1 CGPA), 4.27, 4.44, 4.63, 4.75...

My rise to a grade point I never had in mind was as a result of my effort. Sincerely speaking, op, I hardly attended Sunday services. My lifestyle back then was the easiest to map out as some people's were triangular (church, room and classroom), some were rectangular (church, room, classroom and social center) while mine was linear (room-classroom).

What am I saying in essence, OP,

know yourself-know when you're most comfortable studying and the best environment. This is because, some people understand better when they study with music, some understand better when they study in groups, some understand better when they study in a quiet place, etc. If you're studying at a particular time and sleep calls, don't force it, sleep and immediately you wake up, pick up your books and continue from where you stopped. I'm telling you all these because the semester I studied most in the Uni (100L first semester) was the one i had the lowest GP. In other semesters, i studied and when i was assimilating less, i pack my books and looked for the nearest babe or friend to gist with. I almost often went back to my books after gisting.

Make the most out of your past questions..

Don't form big boy or big girl (humility pays), take what you don't understand to the gurus around you (I did this one a lot in my 100 and 200L.

Lastly, pray hard and study harder..

Mehn we share a lot in common.. Is like your narrating my story!!!! Op... Trust me all you need to do is to make the Library your best friend and believe in yourself!!! Wen I saw my Cgpa heading to a 2.2 (3.17 from 3.62) i, I said to myself "I have had enough of this nonsense, I can do better than this", so I made a personal decision to make nothing less than a 4.0/5 every semester!!! Fast-forward... I ended up making a Second Class Upper!!!! So cheer up mate!!!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by miqos02(m): 3:26am On Nov 11, 2015
best of luck
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by alex007a(m): 3:47am On Nov 11, 2015
Please someone help me with agbami scholarship past question ebook . help send it to ezeisaac48@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 4:56am On Nov 11, 2015
I do not understand the whole cgpa thing, but i school in Atl, and my first year in college was bad. I was on Academic probation, first year. I had to take summer school, and if i had failed one class, i was getting kicked out of school for a year.

I got off Social Network, and i passed. I cant get that high Gpa back but i do not care, 4 years later, which is in 2016, i will be done with Uni. Just focus, play fifa some times when the stress gets too much, dont cram too much, and find a better routine to study.

You would be suprise what waking up in the morning, running for three miles will do to you. It clears your mind off a lot and let you think clearly.

Work on your assignments before class, that way, you know the right questions to ask your professor.

Watch Sports when you can, or whatever clears your mind, when you do not get that assignments or pass that test, dont cry or get mad, go do something you love, for me its soccer, basketball, fifa, nba2k, or surfing Nland.

Shut down your computer after 12am, 1am at the most.

Get that eight hours of sleep.

Last but not the least, Put Whatever you believe in first, for me its God, so i put him forst in all. Goodluck
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by greatestman(m): 5:49am On Nov 11, 2015
Japhet04:
hello, I'm a faculty of law student and I just finished my first year in school with with 3.39 cgpa and I'm getting the feeling that this year would be worse off, pls I really need your advice on how I can bounce back and make a first class before it is too late . your advice would not help only me but also others who are in my kind of predicament. Thank you

If this CGPA is not to be included how will you read
If the calculation of your CGPA will start from 200 level how will you read.
My advise to you consider yourself reading afresh for new CGPA, don't allowed your current CGPA demoralized you. And you can make first class. Though I did make first class but to be honest with you first class is very easy to achieve (I graduated with CGPA of 4.38). I know of a guy that started with CGPA of 3.5 and graduated with first class CGPA of 4.52. But his subsequent CGPA's were not less than 4.8. So is achievable. And with that same zeal and determination the worst you can get is Second Class Upper Division with CGPA of 4.0 above which is still very good. Let me tell you something it not easy nowadays for first class students to get job, even the lecturing job. The simple reason is that after graduation they feel obsess about their class of degree, while second class upper and lower are busy having certification going for masters etc. Before you realize other people have improved more than them. First class Degree cannot be greater than Masters Degree.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 5:50am On Nov 11, 2015
Rumour has it that whatever Gp you start with, is what you will end with.

My personal observation has 99% confirmation on this rumour.

Let's see if you will be able to prove this wrong.
My advice to you is that you should project. Before the beginning of a new semester, write out the gp you need to have in order to have a real growth in your cgpa. Then distribute the grades among the courses. Write the courses and the grades boldly and place it at a vantage in your room, where you see it everyday.

Work towards it and believe its possible. Pray like you don't need to work and work like you don't have to pray. God help you
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by petiteee(f): 6:08am On Nov 11, 2015
It always good to start on a good note coz it like d higher u go d more difficult it seems for u to rise more Dan wher u started from. It might not be so for everybody but it was so for me. I started on a 4.33GPA and trust me I found it difficult to go beyond that not because I was distracted but probabaly of the volumnous of work. And at the end I come out with 3.7CGPA.

In ur next semester make sure ur GPA is likke On A 4point at least. Datz d only way ur current GP can increase. Ask ursef the tings u weren't doing during d last session. Ow many hours do u read for? Are u the type dat waits for 3weeks to exam bfore u start going to night class and start jacking? What kind of friends do u keep? Friends dat stab classes? Friends dat get to class late? Or friends dat love sitting at the back(am not saying u shd sit in front, I neva sat in front) do u put efforts to assignments? Wot about Test?(one of the things dat was my major setback was I neva alwys did well in Class Test but always do well in exams. Maybe coz I don't take tests serious. It was a bad habit)tests are like close to 30% plus assignments.

Work on these things

And pls FLEE from carryova and poor grades! Those devils kills one's CGPA morale grin I neva had a carryova but I had 2 poor grades in my 200level not because I didn't do well but coz I didn't buy handouts (I was dead broke). D annoying part was dat lecturer took us in abt 2 courses and I thk it was a 3unit course.I narrowly escaped carryova probaly coz d lecturer had a conscience of not giving me a F seeing ow well I performed. And dat was when my CGPA droped to a 4.01. So pls anywher Belle face, follow o. BUT NEVER PAY A LECTURER To PASS!
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by obiak4(m): 6:21am On Nov 11, 2015
damton:
is it a government owned school or private university? .

Anyway, don't ever give up on your aim. Just take each course, each semester, each session one at a time. And don't allow the bigger goal of first class grades affect your psyche too much to the extent you become disinterested in your course should you fall short.

Don't mean to discourage you but, getting first class is a very tall order in a course like law in Nigeria.

Besides, it's not about first class grade but about first class abilities.

my opinion though,
anything is possible if you set your mind @ it
op focus on what u want and work for it if you get to your goal good if you don't best,@ least it will save you from regrets latter in life
way way back in sch i started with 2.50 but still made distinction 4.00 so anything is possible
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by koxi: 6:23am On Nov 11, 2015
Pray as if you have not read. And read as if you have not prayed
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by obiak4(m): 6:28am On Nov 11, 2015
francizy:
OP, never you take the words of the ode buruku above me serious ^^^ This is because prayers and no effort will definitely lead to undiluted failure.

On the topic at hand, OP, I used to be the kind of student who reads only a few days to exams only to obtain pass grades and move to the next class. Did all that in secondary school and during my WAEC/NECO and scaled thru. This is because i had no good secondary school background and no one was there to advise me. I wasnt even given the opportunity to study, hence i made up my mind that once i gained admission into Uni, i'll study hard and obtain reasonable grades. Then as I gained admission and heard loads of stuffs about ABU and how even brilliant mind find it difficult to succeed there, talk less one who knows nothing. All that made me reaffirm my commitment to study hard in Uni.

In my 100L first semester, I read like no one ever did (even to the point I started having eye problems). All my studying was in a bid to avoid having COs (never had any till I graduated tho) and also, to graduate with a 2.something GP. Imagine the standard I set for myself just because of what I heard about ABU. Well, I had a 2.67 in that first semester (same semester was the one I studied the most in my entire life). By second semester, I was gradually grabbing things that seemed difficult in the past, I had 3.49 and my GPs afterwards were, 3.96, 3.59 (most difficult Engineering semester in ABU and after I had this one, that was when I saw the possibilities of making a 2.1), 4.53 (this one pushed me into 2.1 CGPA), 4.27, 4.44, 4.63, 4.75...

My rise to a grade point I never had in mind was as a result of my effort. Sincerely speaking, op, I hardly attended Sunday services. My lifestyle back then was the easiest to map out as some people's were triangular (church, room and classroom), some were rectangular (church, room, classroom and social center) while mine was linear (room-classroom).

What am I saying in essence, OP,

know yourself-know when you're most comfortable studying and the best environment. This is because, some people understand better when they study with music, some understand better when they study in groups, some understand better when they study in a quiet place, etc. If you're studying at a particular time and sleep calls, don't force it, sleep and immediately you wake up, pick up your books and continue from where you stopped. I'm telling you all these because the semester I studied most in the Uni (100L first semester) was the one i had the lowest GP. In other semesters, i studied and when i was assimilating less, i pack my books and looked for the nearest babe or friend to gist with. I almost often went back to my books after gisting.

Make the most out of your past questions..

Don't form big boy or big girl (humility pays), take what you don't understand to the gurus around you (I did this one a lot in my 100 and 200L.

Lastly, pray hard and study harder..
a bottle of anointed oriigin for you,
whosoever take this advice and did not get any result should know the blood of jesus has dried in his head he needs to use the blood of God,...............six book of moses

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 11, 2015
Japhet04:

This worked for me in school:

* Attend lectures religiously and take down notes.
* Do ALL assignments well. Copy if you have to.
* Read for tests/quizzes as if they were exams. It is easier to get very good grades in tests/quizzes than in exams.
* Start reading for exams immediately the timetable comes out. I started with the last courses and progressed to the first courses. This way
my brain was fresh when it was time to write the first courses while I just revised my notes when the time to write the later courses came.
* When reading, use the course syllabus to guide you on what to read. This way you are able touch every subject the course contains. Also
you are able to read extensively on courses the lecturers might have missed or paid little attention to. For subjects missed or treated lightly,
I read textbooks from the school library.

Doing the above helped me get above 3.5/5.0 GPA every semester. And mind you I played a lot in school, never got carry-overs and only read for tests and exams.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kirinwa: 6:31am On Nov 11, 2015
timilehing:
I had 2.01 in my year one 1st semester with 4 carry-overs out of 9 courses. To go school don tire me when I got that admission but thanks to God I still graduated with a better grade. Those 4 were my last carry-overs though

Thank God for your 3.39

The best grade you could ever have graduated with would be 2:2 otherwise show your certificate.
Truth is your result in year 1 matters as it lays the foundation where you build on.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Kirinwa: 6:34am On Nov 11, 2015
adakoleagbenu:

This is the truth undiluted and pure.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by obiak4(m): 6:36am On Nov 11, 2015
Demmocrats:
hmmm

Nigerians and there 5.0 syndrome that's why we can never produce minds like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg etc

Grades is good but try to learn than to cram and come out with 5.0

Innoson is not a firstclass student but he employs first class.

Ifesinachi owns fleets of buses and still employ graduates.

Dangote is not a first class student still he imploys pHd holders.

Gani if am correct made third class and am sure thousands of first class lawyers in Nigeria today can' match his accomplishments.

Grades doesn't determine success, try learn and understand not cram by hardwork, good grades will fall in later.

I know so many first class that are jobless.

SEUN(GENIUS) is a dropout but am 100 percent sure he can feed his whole village including those with first class.

Bro don't kill yourself over a number, its just a number.
epic

clap for yourself mr fool what work for mr A will not always work for mr B
instead of telling him to follow his dream you are talking trash
do you have an idea about how seun,innoson,dangote e.t.c ''do'' behide close doors?

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by obiak4(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2015
Flashh:
Keep reading, and ask God to give you the ability to understand what you're reading.

Seems you are willing to get "first class" in law, I would advise you to focus more on your education and give girls less attention.

I wish you the best!
why ''girls'' on every advice na girls dey make your brain malfunction
apparently it on records kids on nairaland.
Every hoe is a girl but not all girls r hoe
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 6:43am On Nov 11, 2015
obiak4:

a bottle of anointed oriigin for you,
whosoever take this advice and did not get any result should know the blood of jesus has dried in his head he needs to use the blood of God,...............six book of moses

Thanks bro! cheesy
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 6:44am On Nov 11, 2015
Japhet04:
its ok

Lastly, please do away with social networks while in school..

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by obiak4(m): 6:47am On Nov 11, 2015
halix239:
I'm also new into the uni, I ll ve to try my very best to get a good grade in my first yr so it won't affect my future grades. there might be distractions but insha allah, I shall scale through by God's grace.
i don't think Allah gives grace just work hard pray less or better still work and pray.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

18 Photos Graduates And Undergraduates Can Relate To / Final Year LASU Student Killed In An Accident Caused By Stray Cow. / Education Is meant for those who can afford it(picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.