Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,723 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine (42286 Views)

NAFDAC Bursts Counterfeit Moet, Chandon Wine, St. Remy Brandy, Others / 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 12, 2015
ollah1:

He must have forgotten Eva water too

Eva water is of NBC.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by EternalTruths: 10:10am On Nov 12, 2015
tete7000:

You see I live in Lagos and had been victim of the government outrageous fine. Someone towed your vehicle away for a supposedly illegal parking and you had to cough out N70,000. Some others cough out over a N100,000 for obstructing BRT lane. At the end of the day government came out regularly and declared big big internal generated revenue. Of course people groaned and it almost cost apc governorship votes in lagos with Agbaje capitalising on it in his campaign. LASTMA guys sensing no one will be willing to pay such exorbitant fines resorted to intimidating people to bribe them and they demand outrageous bribe too. At the end Ambode came in and complained and clamp that on LASTmA with its attendant consequence of traffic gridlock lagos currently witness. The irony of the Lastma fines is that Road Safety have the same offence and collect tokens as fines compared to what LASTMA charges.
Back to the issue on focus, mtn has been levied fine and they currently groan to pay. Infact just yesterday the new ceo said he will explore ways to reduce the fine. If they can conveniently pay they won't desperately seek to reduce it. Now we have another fine running into billion. Whether guinness can pay or not , we will wait to see. However my own opinion is that we fine people primarily to deter them from committing the same offence again. The revenue generation is secondary. If we fine our few companies out of existence, Nigerians bear the brunt. Government needs to put this into consideration. I know the former LIRS boss is now the FIRS boss, I hope it is not that they want to replicate lagos model at national level. They have to remember that Ambode had to grant clemency to many motorist recently to many motorists who couldnt afford the fines levied on them. Their vehicles had to be returned to them without paying any dine. Also many companies and business owners in lagos regularly complain of multiple and outrageous taxation in Lagos and often use bribery to help out themselves.
Our government needs to think through its action and look at long term rather than short term effect on its populace.

Buhari no wan give us job

The few jobs around, he wan take am from us

Buhari has started s angry

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by MORPHYLEE: 10:11am On Nov 12, 2015
The issue of companies employed Nigerians as casual is not been look into but to send those company out of our land and create more unemployment. Company can be fine if violate our country production standard but should not always b means of making money.
MR PRESIDENT PLS LETS DO THE RIGTH THINGS AT THE RIGTH TIME.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Idrismusty97(m): 10:11am On Nov 12, 2015
EternalTruths:
Jobs are lost when a government becomes hostile to companies

I hope those APC small brains won't complain when some of these companies relocate to nearby countries. angry

Before you know what is going on, those government officials will start demanding bribes using fines as threat. angry
Please kindly go an join your fellow street urchins protesting in the street. Abi no protest today?

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Abimbola29(m): 10:23am On Nov 12, 2015
ichidodo:
OK... so because dullardeen from Daura wants to scale a budget for his cronies to share, civil servants and agencies keen on sniffing body language or body odour like benzene crazed addicts have decided to cripple the private sector as well as the economy, indirectly, with FDI-deterent fines and what not,that is if Nigerian employees and consumers don't bear the heavy brunt.So,if you are done chasing away the few FDIs brave enough to do business in Nigeria, we are sure you just will come after our lean pockets with ridiculous taxation rates , after already being laid off in our thousands by your horribly concoted, extortionate and vindictive fiscal penalties on foreign blue-chips......Oh the follies of dulllardeen body odour sniffing chihuahuas and their kumbaya chanting gullible followers.. ..
guy or girl what ever you are get a life I see hatred has eaten you up!its a pity that you seems not to understand ethics and social responsibility in business!! pls I beg you dont comment when not necessary pls okay shuuu I wonder how much PDP dey pay you kai
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by chigo003(m): 10:27am On Nov 12, 2015
Na initial gara gara. They want to sound like they are now working
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Sanchase: 10:28am On Nov 12, 2015
One billion naira is nothing to Guinness, they will pay it within minutes smiley. Nigerians drink more than that amount everyday.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by stinggy(m): 10:28am On Nov 12, 2015
anonimi:

Bros, the timing of this fine so soon after that of MTN is more than suspicious. Why weer they not fined during the previous visits/warnings?
Guinness may go to court or may decide it is not worthwhile taking on a potentially "hostile" government.

As I said if businesses are being fined ANYHOW, it will lead to higher prices first and increased UNEMPLOYMENT subsequently, as owners will do everything to keep their profit MARGINS.
If you tighten a screw too much you are likely to break the wood/metal material that you are working with. Hope you understand the analogy
This is standard business modus operandi anywhere.

Bros forget the timing and assume it was done when their cup was full.
Like I said too, if they feel they are unlawfully charged, they should head to court.
We can't because we don't want them to see us as hostile allow them to kill us with contaminated products. Don't they follow safe practices where they come from? Does mtn disobey orders in SA?
These people have taken us for ride too long.
Safe products don't raise production cost.

Moreover MNCs are fined the world over whenever they mess up, be it in effluent control, degradation or what-have-you. This is the same way Oil coys in Niger Delta have to be held responsible for the spillage and pollution in that region.
It is the same way Exide was not cautioned in Ibadan till people cannot get safe water to drill in that area again.

Follow safe practices, it's never too much to ask for. What you wouldn't try in your country, don't try it here....
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by ChappyChase: 10:31am On Nov 12, 2015
anonimi:

If our government keeps raising fines against companies ANYHOW just for revenue generation then our economy WILL BE in trouble again as it was in 1984.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2095210_worst_jpeg588f192a23aa02a7b350a8bbe5d18306
Bros no fear..
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by klickash077(m): 10:34am On Nov 12, 2015
loiszandi:
No wonder, the oda day was drinking stout and saw some impurities dat has settled under the bottle i was like since wen has Guinness turned to akamu? they are lucky I didn't Sue them.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by ODUBEZE: 11:17am On Nov 12, 2015
chinedu1nig:

I would have preferred to ignore your post but for the sake of your conscience i will ask you some convicting questions:
MY dear Igbo brother (as your name depicts)

Why do countries secede? what will be our claim to the international community? have we dealt with our local crises as individuals, Kindred, Community, LGA, Constituency, State before clamoring on mistreat from a government that has barely spent 6months? chanting Biafra is only detrimental to the unity of we the igbo's, its in no doubt a case that shouldn't be treated with levity but be sure to have your guns & machete ready when it boils down to the main deal. Histories like the Biafra war should serve as a lesson and not to be repeated.
Your observation to some extent is right but also understand that there is no country without it problems! even developed countries.
Nigeria was also with its problems when its ask for freedom which was granted without war.
But today can U tell me which sector in Nigeria is without problem?
The problem with succession is our people! People like U to be precise.
If we all work together with like minds, If we all stand together and say NO to any form of marginalization, there is no problem we cannot overcome!
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by chinedu1nig(m): 11:43am On Nov 12, 2015
ODUBEZE:

Your observation to some extent is right but also understand that there is no country without it problems! even developed countries.
Nigeria was also with its problems when its ask for freedom which was granted without war.
But today can U tell me which sector in Nigeria is without problem?
The problem with succession is our people! People like U to be precise.
If we all work together with like minds, If we all stand together and say NO to any form of marginalization, there is no problem we cannot overcome!
Then start with you LGA chairmen, Governors etc. demand to know why all allocated resources have not been judiciously and effectively utilized and if it has for any reason, demand to know why its not reflecting on its citizen. That is a good way to make your voice heard bro.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 12, 2015
phayvoursky:
HUGE FINES EVERYWHERE.

NCC FINED MTN. MTN IS VENTING ITS ANGER ON NIGERIANS.

I WANTED TO MAKE AN EMERGENCY CALL THEN I FOUND OUT I WAS OUT OF AIRTIME. I DECIDED TO BORROW FROM MTN THE SUM OF 200 NAIRA.

I CLICKED SLOT 3 WHICH WAS PROVIDED FOR D SOME OF 200.

MTN DECIDED TO GIVE ME 750. WELL I GRACIOUSLY ACCEPTED THE GIFT.

TODAY I'M SWITCHING TO ANOTHER NETWORK.

NO BE ONLY THEM GET SENSE.
Dey've decided to rob us to pay NCC. Na so dem deduct credit for my line day before yesterday for callertune wey i no get time to subscribe for, even mistakenly.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Lobolintin(m): 11:57am On Nov 12, 2015
phayvoursky:
HUGE FINES EVERYWHERE.

NCC FINED MTN. MTN IS VENTING ITS ANGER ON NIGERIANS.

I WANTED TO MAKE AN EMERGENCY CALL THEN I FOUND OUT I WAS OUT OF AIRTIME. I DECIDED TO BORROW FROM MTN THE SUM OF 200 NAIRA.

I CLICKED SLOT 3 WHICH WAS PROVIDED FOR D SOME OF 200.

MTN DECIDED TO GIVE ME 750. WELL I GRACIOUSLY ACCEPTED THE GIFT.

TODAY I'M SWITCHING TO ANOTHER NETWORK.

NO BE ONLY THEM GET SENSE.

Was a victim....they knew we all have memoried the digits... They now Chang it all and kept 200 at no 6..... Me too don drop am
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by solonazzy: 12:16pm On Nov 12, 2015
EternalTruths:

I hope those APC small brains won't complain when some of these companies relocate to nearby countries. angry

Before you know what is going on, those government officials will start demanding bribes using fines as threat. angry
N ignore d profits?.. No steady light yet dey didn't leave, dey wuld nw leave cos of I billion fine?..Funny u
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by loomer: 12:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
$5000000 sha, see money o
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Ghost01(m): 12:48pm On Nov 12, 2015
Officer Kogberegbe is in town. No more smeh-smeh!!!
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 12, 2015
EternalTruths:

lols bro we in change era... thank God.
you don't even know your potential or your countries potential, that's sad and the only reason why you will ignore the part about their poor raw material storage faculties and them repackaging eXPIRED products

we are a country of 150MILLION people, do you know how much companies will loose of they 'go to other countries'. because then it becomes a case of exporting goods which means paying higher export fees and pricing the product. thus loosing market share.

even if they leave another intl brand will come in to fill the gap... or why hasn't MTn threatened to leave naija? when they have 65MiLliom subscribers here. lol

in any case we should support MADE IN NIGERIA products from naija firms , I am a Heineken guy. but throughout service in osun it was Trophy I enjoyed since Heineken was rare ... and it wasn't bad @ all @ all
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Speakdatruth: 1:04pm On Nov 12, 2015
EternalTruths:

oga, where are the jobs? and are you talking of those companies that takes Nigerian workers as slaves?
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
stinggy:

Bros forget the timing and assume it was done when their cup was full.
Like I said too, if they feel they are unlawfully charged, they should head to court.
We can't because we don't want them to see us as hostile allow them to kill us with contaminated products. Don't they follow safe practices where they come from? Does mtn disobey orders in SA?
These people have taken us for ride too long.
Safe products don't raise production cost.

Moreover MNCs are fined the world over whenever they mess up, be it in effluent control, degradation or what-have-you. This is the same way Oil coys in Niger Delta have to be held responsible for the spillage and pollution in that region.
It is the same way Exide was not cautioned in Ibadan till people cannot get safe water to drill in that area again.

Follow safe practices, it's never too much to ask for. What you wouldn't try in your country, don't try it here....

instead of them to go to Google and search for past and present scandals and fines around the world they here posting fear borne out of ignorance.

I like your post bro. they should go and see how much Volkswagen, Toyota and one air bag manufacturer was fined this year by different countries they will realise NO BUSINESS operates by choosing which laws to obey and ignore.

am sure other firms have already began to clean their act.. and follow industry best practices

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by davoremix(m): 1:28pm On Nov 12, 2015
how will you say any company will leave Nigeria? Do you know how much they make daily from us?
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Adesiji77: 1:34pm On Nov 12, 2015
JingoOAU:
Oh boy, 2016 budget money don dey complete be that

The proposed 2016 budget of N8Trillion+ is looking rosy already.... tongue cheesy

Cc: davide470, ednut1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Kk4(m): 3:03pm On Nov 12, 2015
EternalTruths:

And you lose jobs base on fines not backed with evidence of violation. undecided

Guy think well ooooo lipsrsealed
Nafdac are not daft.. They cant attack such a corporation without proof of violations..

About jobs. I think its about time Nigerians stop glorifying white collar jobs. There are alot of blue collar opportunities in this country only if we can humble ourselves and work hard..

Peace Fam
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by ComrdDRS: 3:33pm On Nov 12, 2015
IGBO MAN with bad belle...mchess
bigv:
Na so so fine dey rain now. Let NAFDAC goan rest joor. We know those that are truly working.

When Dora (May her gentle soul RIP) was there, Her actions did the talking. Not Paul Ohi that had been invited to EFCC before.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by bigv(m): 3:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
Receive Sense!!
ComrdDRS:
IGBO MAN with bad belle...mchess
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by ODUBEZE: 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2015
chinedu1nig:

Then start with you LGA chairmen, Governors etc. demand to know why all allocated resources have not been judiciously and effectively utilized and if it has for any reason, demand to know why its not reflecting on its citizen. That is a good way to make your voice heard bro.
It begins with U.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by kllinxman(m): 4:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
A day wil cme wen dia wil be no big shot 2 shoot, me nd u wil be d target !!! any way gud job, bt wait NAFDAC swear dis is d 1st tym ur gtin dis report ?
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by vikstandon(m): 5:48pm On Nov 12, 2015
morereb10:
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has fined Guinness Nigeria Plc, N1bn for violating laid down rules.

Punch Newspapers reports that NAFDAC accused Guinness of allegedly revalidating expired products without authorisation and supervision, and exposing its raw materials to rodents.

An excerpt of the letter from NAFDAC, which was obtained from Punch, reads “In view of the above, you are further required to take the following actions: disclosure of all your warehouses in the country and submission of inventory level of the stock thereof; submit a written voluntary consent of forfeiture for destruction of the expired and revalidated raw materials discovered in your warehouse; and submit a notarised undertaking to comply with all the guidelines, rules, regulations and enactments of the agency, and to refrain from any future violations.”

See more on http://www.exlinklodge.com/2015/11/food-drug-angency-nafdac-slash-guinness.html

Default and get fined, days of doing things with impunity is gone... whites have been enriching themselves and improving their economy with fines from Africans "Nigerians"
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by daphid25(m): 7:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
NAFDAC and NCC tho... Make una come employ me na
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Afroconnect: 7:29pm On Nov 12, 2015
Nelkoko:
Money from alcohol is a sin..wetin uncle bura wan use am do?
Unless you are being sarcastic,otherwise u dull gaan.
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by zikmarty: 8:32pm On Nov 12, 2015
hmm seems like change is really working sha
we're watching cool
Re: NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 13, 2015
Obrigardo:
I just need 10% of that 1 billion naira!

These companies have been running business like they are in no man's land. So Guinness should be kept in check. This is what jonathan failed to do, instead he was busy azzzlicking them here and there, handling them with kids gloves.

By the time those businesses run to Togo, and importation of Alcohol is banned you will buy Stout for 1,500 Naira only. Let's hope this doesn't have a ripple effect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) / The Catfish Soup A Broke Nairalander Prepared.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.