Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,799 members, 7,844,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance (67123 Views)

Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually / Kemi Adeosun, New Minister Of Finance / Meet Kemi Adeosun - New Minister Of Finance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by mandarin: 9:59pm On Nov 12, 2015
I do not subscribe to the position of this writer because there are salient issues he/she failed to discuss:
1. During Ngozi era, oil price peaked yet at the tail end of her tenure as economy minister govt borrowed to pay salary, that alone was a MONUMENTAL failure considering infrastructural deficit in the country
2. The MPR remained high, fuel tax went up and all cushioning programs went up in flames e.g. Sure P.The inflation rate never abated
3. Allegations of corruptions and corrupt practices was at its peak in history, so monumental that a serving CBN governor accused government of not accounting for billions of naira

if Ngozi were to be an American would American described her tenure as successful? I can tell you that handling developing economies poses different challenges that are at variance with Harvard/Standford papers, while such do broaden one's horizon, it continues to face socio-cultural challenges e.g. Muslims keeping their millions of wives out of the labour market, ethnic propensity to shield kinsmen from grafts probes and sudden rise in ethnopolitical agitations. Just as Soludo said Ngozi was an Admin person at World Bank.
If Kemi has worked in Nigeria then she should focus govt policies on the local market
encourage d expansion of Federal income, discourage borrowing and lower recurrent expenditures, interest rates and inflation.
See, I believe you don't have to believe all you see in Western publications, its just like drinking so much syrup because its made in England, it doesn't stop you from becoming diabetic. Give her a chance, I wish her well.
meanwhile the VP is to coordinate the economy.

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 12, 2015
Granted, NOI did not deliver as expected. But I am still worried about how inexperienced Kemi is, because to manage an economy as complicated as Nigeria's Is no small feat. NOI aside, the usefulness of experience cannot be overemphasized. #justsaying. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 12, 2015
pasol4real:

You are way wrong .
The fact that à President is incorruptible cannot subtitute good policies especially in the financial sector.
A particular President from zambia was known for his stance against corruption but he ended up becoming the worst President in the country's history because he destroyed the economy.
God forbid,but the way bubu is going he might just end up like that.
You just spoke my mind. being ' incorruptible' is not the solution to all of Nigeria's problems. We need solid policies that can move the economy forward.

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by ademoladeji(m): 10:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
Na wa ooooo...

See bashing left, right, up and down!

#pathetic
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by chinchum(m): 10:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
I am an advocate of common sense , not the ben bruce common sense though wink Bretton Wood trained and tailored Finance minister is not what we need at the moment. I want to see practical and common sense solutions that she is bringing in to fix our peculiar problems in the right context. Nigeria has had many finance ministers in the past years that cant even tie her shoe lace, although we are in a though phase of the nation. A rough sea makes a good sailor.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by oduastates: 10:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
Iweala is definitely a neo capitalist heavy .the likes of whom are sent to enslave their people and cart their money away.
Tell me , how does a country who nearly does not export anything allow unfettered dumping of goods within her territory?
Aren't countries suppose to be prostrating to sell us things ?
Instead she turned us to buying beggars.
Iweala removed tomatoes , tomato paste , vegetable oil etc from the import prohibition list .
Hunger almost finished farmers in the north .
Allowing the importation of vegetable oil almost destroyed the vegetable oil in the SW ,SS,NC and NW.
She even went as far as granting waivers to encourage more dumping.
What about the budgets she presented at the National Assembly.
Same meaningless budgets(syntax ,numbers and all) with items like train tickets in Guinea Bissau!

All we want is someone who can balance an account.
So so amount came in ,so so amount went out and the balance is. No long story .
If something does not come in , why?
Definitely not a person too lazy to vet a budget .someone whose first mission is to protect local production ,manufacturing and jobs
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Decryptor(m): 10:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
Kastonkastroll:
The writer of this junk is a fool. How can this fool blame buhari for the ineptitude of the past administration? Some of these so-called journalists don't deserve to be address as journalists.

And what did the so-called "experience" okonjo achieve as the finance minister under Jonathan? Aside from destroying our economy and lying to gullible Nigerians that they are the biggest economy in Africa, what has madam NOI achieve or what positive thing has she impacted on our already damaged economy?

Kemi will be 1000 times better than that madam NOI who joined forces with diezani/Jonathan to steal our $20billion....

For you to call Forbes (the global economic media journal) FOOOL just shows how you have finally lost it! Keep hoping that Kemi will improve your life. By the time you will post your small dick on OLX for just N500 so you can see what to eat, you will then realize that buhari's brainlessness is contaminating

3 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by guntranno(f): 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
Just a quick one, I wanna believe that a prsn who's an expert today started his/her career as an amateur. Where were the likes of Nadal and Novak whn the likes of Pitt Sampras and Andre Agasi were making it in tennis world? There was a time when Alli Baba was all we knw wrt comedy in 9ja, now we have the likes of basket mouth, Apos, Omo Baba.... In football, the likes of Okocha, Obafemi Martins, King Kanu started as amateur footballers b4 the became professionals.

NOI is an heavyweight while Kemi might be a fin/fly/bantam or featherweighter buh all I know is one day the egg would be hatched to become a hen.

Btw, out of curiosity, I'd like to know why Obasanjo SACKED NOI during his tenure.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Decryptor(m): 10:57pm On Nov 12, 2015
Saturn213:

Lalasticlala

Seun

Why is this poster getting away with abusing Nairalanders? This is the 15th time I am reporting this poster

Your fellow man carry mouth wash you and you are running to Seun and mods to "report" grin grin

Typical yaribba

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Decryptor(m): 11:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
“Adeosun’s appointment to head the most important ministry during a time of economic crisis will stir some controversy. She is relatively inexperienced, especially compared to her immediate predecessor Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, a political heavyweight,” says Malte Liewerscheidt, senior Africa analyst at Verisk Maplecroft. “Adeosun has a strong background in the UK’s private financial sector but may struggle to navigate federal politics as the only post she previously held in Nigeria was Commissioner of Finance in Ogun State.”

The First Bolded is a Technical Knockout! As for the second....you mean that kermit woman handled the finances of Ogun state? One of the most indebted and less self sustaining states according to the latest financial reports?

NIGERIA IS FINISHED!

5 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by rildwanullahi(m): 11:07pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:

This is when you buy foreign exchange at the official rate for the sole purpose of selling it at the parrellel market.

This is prevalent when the difference between the 2 raters are high.

For instance, the official rate is 197 and the parallel rate is 225. Well connected insiders will simply buy at the official rate and sell at the other rate. This creates a privilege class of buyers.

For instance, if you use your naira debit card to buy something online, the banks charge you at the parallel rate i.e $100 for 22,500. If you return the product the bank pays you at the official rate i.e.$100 -19,700.

that's exploitation, all these banks are thieves, thanks bro
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by rugged7(m): 11:15pm On Nov 12, 2015
Steal which "YOUR" billions
THe money belongs to the niger-delta people, not you...
Nonsense angry

Kastonkastroll:
The writer of this junk is a fool. How can this fool blame buhari for the ineptitude of the past administration? Some of these so-called journalists don't deserve to be address as journalists.

And what did the so-called "experience" okonjo achieve as the finance minister under Jonathan? Aside from destroying our economy and lying to gullible Nigerians that they are the biggest economy in Africa, what has madam NOI achieve or what positive thing has she impacted on our already damaged economy?

Kemi will be 1000 times better than that madam NOI who joined forces with diezani/Jonathan to steal our $20billion....

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by tonytony208(m): 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2015
flyingsnail:
Green horn cheesy

Green horn in politics and not in financial management.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by koning: 11:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
guntranno:
Just a quick one, I wanna believe that a prsn who's an expert today started his/her career as an amateur. Where were the likes of Nadal and Novak whn the likes of Pitt Sampras and Andre Agasi were making it in tennis world? There was a time when Alli Baba was all we knw wrt comedy in 9ja, now we have the likes of basket mouth, Apos, Omo Baba.... In football, the likes of Okocha, Obafemi Martins, King Kanu started as amateur footballers b4 the became professionals.

NOI is an heavyweight while Kemi might be a fin/fly/bantam or featherweighter buh all I know is one day the egg would be hatched to become a hen.

Btw, out of curiosity, I'd like to know why Obasanjo SACKED NOI during his tenure.

Obj did not sack NOI. She resigned because OBJ was overbearing. Would not let her perform her duties without undue interference.
Same Obj recommended her to Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Decryptor(m): 12:13am On Nov 13, 2015
politricks:
These people should let me hear word. What did NOI the 'political heavyweight' and 'experienced' woman did to our economy except blowing grammar and dishing out statistical lies from God knows where. NOI made us think our economy is like barcelona when in actual sense it's like Chelsea all in a bid to give the impression that we are doing fine while carting away our money. Only a fool tries the same thing everytime and expects different result. Let us give this woman a chance oun no o ni fe te.

And after doing all these things you accused her of, some international bodies and Organizations still doled her awards in recognition of the "statistical lies"...your stupiidity and that of the hediots who liked your fooolish comment are overwhelming!

And talking about your Kermit Adeosun who was the former Commissioner for Finance....this picture below shows the last 3 worst states whose monthly incomes are unable to meet up with the monthly wage bill. In other words, states that are unable to pay their salaries without having to borrow. The one circled in red which is the 3rd worst is where NOI was commissioner for finance isn't it? Iberibe bu oria!

4 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Decryptor(m): 12:14am On Nov 13, 2015
rugged7:
Steal which "YOUR" billions
THe money belongs to the niger-delta people, not you...
Nonsense angry

Don't mind the dimwit
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by guntranno(f): 12:22am On Nov 13, 2015
koning:

Obj did not sack NOI. She resigned because OBJ was overbearing. Would not let her perform her duties without undue interference.
Same Obj recommended her to Jonathan.

No argument sir but try read up these:

thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/05/okonjo-iweala-the-failed-minister/

thenationonlineng.net/soludo-okonjo-iweala-tell-nigerians-obasanjo-sacked-finance-minister/

I'm no expert in the field of finance.....
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by biafranqueen: 12:27am On Nov 13, 2015
Nothing has happened under her in Ogun what a huge mistake!

3 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by koning: 12:40am On Nov 13, 2015
guntranno:

No argument sir but try read up these:

[s]thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/05/okonjo-iweala-the-failed-minister/[/[/s]b]

[s][b]thenationonlineng.net/soludo-okonjo-iweala-tell-nigerians-obasanjo-sacked-finance-minister/

[/s]I'm no expert in the field of finance.....

Thenationonline? !!. Tinubu's newspaper. Give me a break. Please, seek a more objective source. Besides, the headline you quoted was a question asking Soludo and NOI to admit she was "sacked" instead of Resigned.
Just like you, The Nation newspaper and other opposition newspapers would not believe she simply resigned. I'm disappointed you had to quote these people.

4 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Nobody: 12:46am On Nov 13, 2015
simplycarro:
You want me to flog you today again? undecided
Are you Buhari's Abobaku?
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Nobody: 12:54am On Nov 13, 2015
simplycarro:
Good. We should wish the Ministers well, their success is Nigeria's success and for Nigerians.
Are we Nigerians
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by sam90s(m): 12:59am On Nov 13, 2015
voltron:

easy.. by any available well-researched plans and antecedents he possesses before taking up the position.. let us just say he is going to have to think-up a structure pretty quickly given the state of the economy and the expectations of its citizenry. This is not the time for 8-year Plans that take 16 years to begin to manifest.. there are hundreds of proven models that have worked in similar economies and situations that he can learn from and adapt where necessary.. the era of reinventing the tooth-pick is over (it seems)
You're correct bro, I'm just saying that this dispensation appears to be different from other ones(especially OBJ and Jonathan raise many hopes), this particular team seems different to me(I pray I'm not wrong cry), Buhari is not perfect, but he most certainly not a thief and that counts a lot if know what I mean, and we the people have learned from previous false start as well as our votes counting for the first time in decades, you know what that say about tasting blood, you wouldn't settle again for vegetarian option grin grin grin grin
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by dumodust(m): 1:17am On Nov 13, 2015
samobaba:
THE WOMAN WILL SO SURPRISE ALL YOU DOUBTING THOMAS'S. THIS WOMAN IS WORKAHOLIC, A CHRISTIAN, SOMEONE WITH VERY HIGH INTEGRITY, AND IF YOU HAVE SEEN HER THESIS ON SMALL SCALE BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA, YOU WILL BELIEVE THERE IS NO OTHER BETTER PERSON IN THIS PRESENT ECONOMICS GRIDLOCK OTHER THAN MRS. ADEOSUN TO TAKE NIGERIA FINANCES OUT OF THIS PRESENT SITUATION THE SO CALLED HEAVY WEIGHT AND POLITICALLY CONNECTED NOI PUT NIGERIA. ASK OGUN STATE HOW THIS WOMAN IMPROVE OGUN STATE MONTHLY REVENUE FROM N750 MILLION TO N6 BILLION PER MONTH.

INDEED SHE IS A ROUND PEG IN A ROUND HOLE.

From all you've listed, I see no clear reason why this woman is finance minister... i had my reservations too because we're in a hell of a mess and this is not a time for experiments like this that hand over economies to neophytes... workaholic, christian, high integrity, written thesis as reasons are lame, means any phd student can just take over too

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by biafranqueen: 1:29am On Nov 13, 2015
Decryptor:

And after doing all these things you accused her of, some international bodies and Organizations still doled her awards in recognition of the "statistical lies"...your stupiidity and that of the hediots who liked your fooolish comment are overwhelming!

And talking about your Kermit Adeosun who was the former Commissioner for Finance....this picture below shows the last 3 worst states whose monthly incomes are unable to meet up with the monthly wage bill. In other words, states that are unable to pay their salaries without having to borrow. The one circled in red which is the 3rd worst is where NOI was commissioner for finance isn't it? Iberibe bu oria!
You are absolutely correct.
Since 2011, the yearly monthly average IGR is around N1.2billion with the introduction of harsh taxation regime and decoy revenue generating schemes. Still they are owing and nothing on the ground to alleviate the general public from poverty.

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by biafranqueen: 1:30am On Nov 13, 2015
dumodust:

From all you've listed, I see no clear reason why this woman is finance minister... i had my reservations too because we're in a hell of a mess and this is not a time for experiments like this that hand over economies to neophytes... workaholic, christian, high integrity, written thesis as reasons are lame, means any phd student can just take over too
Your right on that one my Dear. DO you wonder why they have not listed her achievements as Commissioner in Ogun ?

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by DipoDaniel: 3:39am On Nov 13, 2015
Dude, politics is not like that o, he has to fix it. Obama inherited almost 10.7% unemployment rate and 3 wars estimated to have gulped at least $2.7trillion dollars ...now things are way better, employment rate well below 5%,jobs lost during Bush last year in office was over 8M, losing an average of 400K jobs per month, now he things have changed cause people voted for change. I hope this wont be a curse (APC). He has to fix the system, no excuses...The analyst are damm right and correct. Have you seen any plan on infrastructure, economic development and recovery other than the hardship caused with the useless CBN policy which has no effect on the naira but affecting the economy..so much must be fix and it may take him more than 4 yrs to stabilize things but not in Nigeria where corruption is the poison to our democrazy.

Your generation might not enjoy the promised land I can guarantee

Kastonkastroll:

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by JayJustus(m): 4:47am On Nov 13, 2015
once it's from western media...I will pass...those niggas never loved us...so they can shove their forbes article about kemi right up to the uttermost part of their bootyhole...we don't give a two shyte flying western feck no more... I rest my case...halla!!!
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by IDERAWOLE(m): 7:12am On Nov 13, 2015
grandstar:
Frankly speaking, I don't think this government has anything to offer economy wise. It is instinctively anti-market and does nopt take any cues from market signals.

The foreign exchange controls are already having devastating effects on the manufacturing and commercial sectors. This has led to a motre than 10% disparity between the official and parallel market. It should never be more than 3% or you encourage round tripping as its happening now.

Banning 40 products from the forex market was an extremely amateurish attempt to preserve foreign exchange.

The best way of managing forex is by liberalizing and deregulating the forex market.

If the demand for imports is quite strong, your currency loses value and makes imports more expensive and less affordable.

As your currency weakens,it makes your exports more competitive encouraging exporters to sell more and earn foreign exchange. It counterbalances

Buhari won't last more than a term. These businessmen are not smiling. In 2019, they will come to settle scores.

How can the businessmen be happy when all they want is to importing rubbish into the country.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 7:42am On Nov 13, 2015
Gbawe:

I agree with you. The main thing Ministers need is the ability to provide solutions innovatively allied with the bravery and uncompromising resolve to implement these solutions. The character, integrity, political will and 'body language' of the President of the day matters immensely also. GEJ was an innately weak, unprincipled, compromised and dishonest man who gave every Minister the impression they too could/should be crooked and indolent. Those who were not thieves by character and had the initial will to serve Nigeria quickly began taking part in the free-for-all looting because everyone was doing it and Mr.President, his wife and affiliates were also helping themselves copiously.

Under that system even like NOI became a lying mouthpiece given to deceiving the world with crap like "Nigeria is now Africa's biggest economy after GDP rebasing" along with hogwash about "economic robustness" and "good economic health" when some of us argued that she was lying given simple indices like dwindling allocation to States and borrowing $1 billion to fight boko haram when Nigeria had disbursed over $12 billion for the same purpose in the past without needing to borrow.

All in all, a talented novice can perform wonders under a president like Buhari whereas under GEJ the most brilliant "heavyweight" , with the biggest reputation, could become an unconscionable crook, like Allison_madueke, who will loot Nigeria mercilessly to impoverish many and destroy the future of millions.
Your personal opinion,you Yorrobas never saw anytin good in GEJ except his Agriculture minister cos he was yoruba,but we are now seeing d ineptitude of d Dullard now and vindicated
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 7:43am On Nov 13, 2015
chrisbaba1:
[size=13pt]I am a staunch supporter of APC and an Ogun son, Kemi Adeosun is totally unfit for that position, anyone who follows Ogun holistically will know she is merely a political selection nominated by the state governor, nothing else. And it saddens me because the position she holds will make or break this tenure. The people living in Ogun state can attest to the economic woes of the state, it is non contestable, non of her "economic plans" worked, so if she couldn't help the state, how will she help the country? Productivity is what we need backed up by a productive antecedent, not british english.[/size]

Gbawe read this,and stop been sentimental,say the truth for once and be free
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 7:50am On Nov 13, 2015
Ibebe:
What did NOI do with our economy but ruined it.

the fat pig cowardly ran away when Buhari won the election.
How did she ruin it? because she is not Yoruba?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) / Live Update Of Lagos One Million Match / Photos From Scene Of Ebonyi "Suicide" Bomb Attack (Graphic Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.