Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,764 members, 7,831,454 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing (4663 Views)

FG Creates 193,469 Jobs In Ministry Of Works, Housing / Nigerian Engineers Decorate Buhari As Patron / Fashola Heads Ministry Of Power, Works & Housing: The Biggest Responsibility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Yoti(m): 8:03am On Nov 13, 2015
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A lawyer heading Power sector, Works & Housing. Am imagining a day where an Engineer will be appointed to minister Justice or Health sector. Where are the Engineers? What an insult? When shall we start fighting for our right and proving our professional integrity and ethics? Fashola is a man of integrity, full of knowledge and wisdom. No one is doubting his capability when it comes to project delivery but heading power sector, works and housing is a challenge to the Engineering family. How many equations a lawyer can solve before engaging into Engineering affairs? NSE, NATE, NISET, etc. Does it mean that Nigeria lacks professional (Engineer) that posses all qualities to head Power, Works and Housing ministry? Nigeria, your quest for economic growth will not be possible without Technology. Senior Engineers are sleeping & busy counting their years of experience in practice while younger once are crying for their future. God have mercy, I hope that I haven't make a wrong choice of career...

11 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by netotse(m): 8:08am On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
A lawyer heading Power sector, Works &
Housing.
Am imagining a day where an Engineer will be
appointed to minister Justice or Health sector.
Where are the Engineers? What an insult? When
shall we start fighting for our right and proving
our professional integrity and ethics? Fashola
is a man of integrity, full of knowledge and
wisdom. No one is doubting his capability when
it comes to project delivery but heading power
sector, works and housing is a challenge to the
Engineering family. How many equations a
lawyer can solve before engaging into
Engineering affairs? NSE, NATE, NISET, etc.
Does it mean that Nigeria lacks professional
(Engineer) that posses all qualities to head
Power, Works and Housing ministry?
Nigeria, your quest for economic growth will not
be possible without Technology. Senior
Engineers are sleeping & busy counting their
years of experience in practice while younger
once are crying for their future. God have
mercy, I hope that I haven't make a wrong
choice of career...

You don't need to solve equations to give Nigerians power.

Personally, I would prefer an engineer as minister i
Of power but fact is the major problems facing the power sector are not engineering problems and a lot of Nigerian engineers unfortunately know little beyond 'solving euations'.

Nigerian engineers need to become more versatile.

17 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 8:31am On Nov 13, 2015
I agree with you to some extent but you realise he is the immediate past governor of Lagos state. To head a state is to head every ministry under it. So, if he could deliver in the areas of housing , works as a non engineering professional whilst a governor whom had a lot to deal with, he sure will deliver handling a ministry. And again, it's not about the papers/kpali most times, but ones capabilities.
#ForABetterNigeriaIPray

4 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by evatee(m): 8:32am On Nov 13, 2015
Did we benefit anything from the past ministers of power, works that r Engrs. and Profs?.....What did they achieve during dir time? If u r hungry to write maibe u shld channel ur writing to something else. Leave Fasola alone!

11 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Yoti(m): 8:33am On Nov 13, 2015
what I want you to know is that, power issues in this country is because poor leadership or lack of competent leader that knows what to.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by megaik: 8:35am On Nov 13, 2015
netotse:

Of power but fact is the major problems facing the power sector are not engineering problems and a lot of Nigerian engineers unfortunately know little beyond 'solving euations'.

You pulled out the words from my mouth bro. The problems of power sector are not engineering practices but the dices and logistics surrounding the job description. No excellent platform for diversity and versatility. Only a highly exposed competitive and motivated man with experience in leadership ability with lawyers background that can liberate us.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by thundafire: 8:35am On Nov 13, 2015
nd it's wrong just 2 compensate dem nd heading 3 ministries grouped into one i wonder y he cnt talk sense 2 dat cow dullard 2 tell him of need 2 separate power from works nd housing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 13, 2015
If Chinedu Nebo who is an Engineer, Ex minister of power, former University Vice Chancellor and infact a Professor for that matter attributed the cause of power outage in Nigeria to "witches and demons", then it gives buhari the jurisdiction to appoint whoever he believes has the required capacity to deliver competently.

19 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 8:40am On Nov 13, 2015
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by princemillla(m): 8:45am On Nov 13, 2015
netotse:

Well said, same with Nigeria education system,

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 13, 2015
ADENIKETINA2015:

,=
lol... modified tongue
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
Housing.
choice of career...

Welcome to nigeria where stupidity is seen as a norm, especially from d most sophisticated tribe grin

U also have a dullard as president, what do u expect

GEJ chose a renounced professor of Mechanical engineering to man the power sector in his time as president. Now we have a lawyer for the same position. grin grin grin

That mechanical engineer now owns geometric power, the first indigenous power generating firm in nigeria n he's doing very well.

Wen I say nothing good can ever come from nigeria, no one gets to understand.

4 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 13, 2015
netotse:

I wonder why u don't go to an accountant to treat u wen ur sick grin

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 13, 2015
ADENIKETINA2015:
I agree with you to some extent but you realise he is the immediate past governor of Lagos state. To head a state is to head every ministry under it. So, if he could deliver in the areas of housing , works as a non engineering professional whilst a governor whom had a lot to deal with, he sure will deliver handling a ministry. And again, it's not about the papers/kpali most times, but ones capabilities.
#ForABetterNigeriaIPray

""So, if he could deliver in the areas of housing , works as a non engineering professional whilst a governor whom had a lot to deal with, he sure will deliver handling a ministry""

Why do Yoruba people enjoy deceiving demselves

U wake on a saturday morning, take ur bath n dress up, then u sit on ur balcony n convibce urself tobbecome stupidd.

Mehn, please grow up

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 13, 2015
evatee:
Did we benefit anything from the past ministers of power, works that r Engrs. and Profs?.....What did they achieve during dir time? If u r hungry to write maibe u shld channel ur writing to something else. Leave Fasola alone!

Nigeria is presently enjoying the benefits of the engineers that controlled d power sector in d last regime. Since June 13th til now, I have enjoyed 22 hours daily power supply on a daily basis.

Fashola or any non engineer can never deliver in that power sector, it ain't rocket science to notice that.

You have never consulted an accountant to draw a build in plan for u, u have also never gone to an engineer to represent u in court.

4 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
what I want you to know is that, power issues in this country is because poor leadership or lack of competent leader that knows what to.

How did u know? Did u work in d power sector

The power problems in nigeria has just one problem and it is not corruption, It's all about lack of technical know how. Very simple

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by kingsman66(m): 9:22am On Nov 13, 2015
OP dnt mind our leaders is only in Nigerian you will see a person that graduated in one of the best university that is well trained in law but will finally find him/her self as a protocol officer government

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by kingsman66(m): 9:23am On Nov 13, 2015
OP dnt mind our leaders is only in Nigerian you will see a person that graduated in one of the best university that is well trained in law but will finally find him/her self as a protocol officer in government
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by francileudo(m): 9:25am On Nov 13, 2015
I bet the perm secs would be engineers. He would be handling more of the administrative aspect of the ministry.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by DaBullIT(m): 9:27am On Nov 13, 2015
[size=28pt]LAMENTATIONS Chapter 29 vs 05 P:2015

[/size]

Get it ??

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 9:28am On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

""So, if he could deliver in the areas of housing , works as a non engineering professional whilst a governor whom had a lot to deal with, he sure will deliver handling a ministry""

Why do Yoruba people enjoy deceiving demselves

U wake on a saturday morning, take ur bath n dress up, then u sit on ur balcony n convibce urself tobbecome stupidd.

Mehn, please grow up
What has my opinion got to do with THE YORUBAS.
It's my opinion and you have a right to agree with it or not without being uncouth.

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 13, 2015
then I hope we can all wait for political scientists to become our president or our governors.

come on you can't be serious right?

what is basically needed of the minister is the skill to be a good manager of men and materials.

there are lots of engineers who are bad administrators, I hope you know.

besides why engineers and why not architects after all they head the building team.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 9:32am On Nov 13, 2015
machinegundammy:
lol... modified tongue
Aiit
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by sexybukola: 9:56am On Nov 13, 2015
The appointment of Fashola as the minister of power, works and housing is to provide drive, direction and goal getting strategy while the permanent secretaries in those ministries are career people who are certified engineers with a requisite skills to provide operational support to him to ensure overall success of the ministry. Mind you, as a former governor of a state like Lagos which can be compared to some countries in Africa, I believe he has gathered enough experience to deliver, given the enormity of responsibilities placed on his shoulders and coupled with the fact that some Buhari's ministers still have political careers ahead of them, they are going to be driven by such desires to perform. A Fashola/El rufai presidency wouldn't be a bad one in 2023 God helping.

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Ephemmm: 10:06am On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
Housing.
choice of career...

Minister has the right to appoint qualified engineers into his ministry if he deems it fit: policy formulation and implementation is the hallmark of minister. Or do you expect Fashola to be carrying spanners, ladders and wires around?

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by netotse(m): 10:15am On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

I wonder why u don't go to an accountant to treat u wen ur sick grin
You're comparing apples and oranges...won't work.

chuna1985:

How did u know? Did u work in d power sector

The power problems in nigeria has just one problem and it is not corruption, It's all about lack of technical know how. Very simple
How do you know the problem is a "lack of technical know how" do you work in the power sector?

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by agabusta: 10:20am On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Welcome to nigeria where stupidity is seen as a norm, especially from d most sophisticated tribe grin

GEJ chose a renounced professor of Mechanical engineering to man the power sector in his time as president. Now we have a lawyer for the same position. grin grin grin

That mechanical engineer now owns geometric power, the first indigenous power generating firm in nigeria n he's doing very well.

Why not tell us the complete story of how GEJ embarrassed him out of that position even though he was performing well.

GEJ and co also frustrated his efforts with Geometric. And that investment lost millions of dollars.

His replacement performed woefully afterwards.

This is not the first time a non engineer will be minister of power. Bola Ige a lawyer was also a minister of power. Olusegun Agagu, a geologist was also minister of power and steel.

What is needed at tht level is not technical expertise, but astute managerial expertise, foresight and ability to solve knotty issues.

Dangote is no engineer, yet he is successfully managing thousands of engineers. And even constructing a refinery now.

Ibe Kachikwu is no engineer, infact he is even a property lawyer but he rose as an Executive in mobil before being appointed GMD of NNPC and now Minister of State for Petroleum.

Open your mind pls

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by stevecantrell: 10:28am On Nov 13, 2015
Engineers are only good @ taking down 8 figure salaries for their services. They don't do much outside the sphere of paid or substantive employment.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by dridowu: 10:31am On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Base on your point we can as well assume boko haram gain ground because of GEJ. Out of those GEJ appointed one 1 has security knowledge
Those that were appointed are
1) Adetokunbo Kayode (April 2010-July 2011)-Lawyer
2) Bello Haliru Mohammed (July 2011-June 2012)- Vet Doctor
3) Erelu Olusola Obada (June 2012-Sept 2013)- ?
4) Aliyu Gusau (March 2014-May 29 2015)
4) Musiliu Obanikoro (2014) - Public Analsyt.

@topic, appointing Fashola will do good to us since Fashola will be carrying out the adminstrative job not the practical aspect.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 13, 2015
As in ehn, that's the joke we doctors would never take, we've more than competent hands to co-ordinate the health sector, we don't need our job to be outsourced. Later it's these jokers called engineers who would want to equate themselves with doctors when they can't even begin their charity from home and do the needful to get their due recognition... Agreed Fashola did very well, why wasn't he put to oversee the ministry of defense since that's the biggest headache of Nigeria today.

Nigerians are very sentimental people, that's why we see nothing wrong in this appointment. And that's why we aren't moving forward. Nigerian Engineers, stand up to be counted!
I still wish Fashola the very best, whatever we can do to fix the power situation and the roads, let's just do it. Though we know the mishandling of these sectors wasn't down to the incompetence of theminister'sbut due to the powers that be, as they were just avenues to award frivolous contracts to compensate political allies.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by goodgate: 10:48am On Nov 13, 2015
agabusta:

Why not tell us the complete story of how GEJ embarrassed him out of that position even though he was performing well.

GEJ and co also frustrated his efforts with Geometric. And that investment lost millions of dollars.

His replacement performed woefully afterwards.

This is not the first time a non engineer will be minister of power. Bola Ige a lawyer was also a minister of power. Olusegun Agagu, a geologist was also minister of power and steel.

What is needed at tht level is not technical expertise, but astute managerial expertise, foresight and ability to solve knotty issues.

Dangote is no engineer, yet he is successfully managing thousands of engineers. And even constructing a refinery now.

Ibe Kachikwu is no engineer, infact he is even a property lawyer but he rose as an Executive in mobil before being appointed GMD of NNPC and now Minister of State for Petroleum.

Open your mind pls
Well said.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by pedrilo: 10:52am On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
Housing.
shall we start fighting for our right?
stewpeed boi, u r not intelligent at all. Not everything demands fighting for ur right, if i may use ur words, this is a wake up call to "u and ur fellow lazy engineers to start proving ur professional integrity and ethics"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#buharideathsquad Now Trending - Photos / beyond “okrika wake-up” syndrom in port-harcourt / 3 Thousand Mega Watts Amaraku Dam Constructed By Okorocha. Picture.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.