Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,367 members, 7,853,638 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:38 PM

NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing (4681 Views)

FG Creates 193,469 Jobs In Ministry Of Works, Housing / Nigerian Engineers Decorate Buhari As Patron / Fashola Heads Ministry Of Power, Works & Housing: The Biggest Responsibility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by pedrilo: 10:55am On Nov 13, 2015
evatee:
Did we benefit anything from the past ministers of power, works that r Engrs. and Profs?.....What did they achieve during dir time? If u r hungry to write maibe u shld channel ur writing to something else. Leave Fasola alone!
dnt mind him. let him go and fight fashola for his mumu right

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by pedrilo: 10:58am On Nov 13, 2015
machinegundammy:
If Chinedu Nebo who is an Engineer, Ex minister of power, former University Vice Chancellor and infact a Professor for that matter attributed the cause of power outage in Nigeria to "witches and demons",
Yoti post=39968474:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
A lawyer heading Power sector, Works &
Housing.
Am imagining a day where an Engineer will be
appointed to minister Justice or Health sector.
Where are the Engineers? What an insult?
is this not an insult too?

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Gbawe: 11:04am On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
Housing.
Where are the Engineers? What an insult? When
shall we start fighting for our right and proving
our professional integrity and ethics? Fashola
is a man of integrity, full of knowledge and
wisdom. No one is doubting his capability when
it comes to project delivery but heading power
sector, works and housing is a challenge to the
Engineering family. How many equations a
lawyer can solve before engaging into
Engineering affairs? NSE, NATE, NISET, etc.
Does it mean that Nigeria lacks professional
(Engineer) that posses all qualities to head
Power, Works and Housing ministry?
Nigeria, your quest for economic growth will not
be possible without Technology. Senior
Engineers are sleeping & busy counting their
years of experience in practice while younger
once are crying for their future. God have
mercy, I hope that I haven't make a wrong
choice of career...

@OP

Before engaging in any tedious back-and-forth with you, can I ask you to tell us what Fashola has been doing for the past 8 years to then justify this your ridiculously unjustifed indignation that your profession has been "insulted" because Fashola is Minister of power, works and housing? Has Fashola been in a courtroom all that time to now be given all the portfolio he has been entrusted with or is it that this man was busy, to universal acclaim, overhauling the power, works and housing sector of one of the most challenging city/State in the entire world for 8 years?

To be honest, I don't know why Nigerians, with our claims to being intelligent, like to go online to ridicule the intellectual worth of our nation. There are folks who have never stepped into a music school yet receive honorary degrees for their achievement in music. Ditto for so many other fields. How many who studied music and have laudable diplomas can be adjudged to have done more than Michael Jackson?

Fashola may not be an engineer but his achievements show he is superior to many engineers and especially you. Sorry to be so harsh but you need to change your 'stiff' and rigid mindset. Keep looking for automatic jobs because you are an engineer but I can tell you today that the world values solutions providers more than core professionals. If you are more about shaping your mind to provide solution then you will appreciate that even you, an engineer, can be employed to run a farm or retail chain while a lawyer can be employed to lead engineers.

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by slimfit1(m): 11:11am On Nov 13, 2015
Most engineers in Nigeria are engineers by name and certification. The day they make their our power in their how then we can take them serious. In a sane world they won't even qualify as a common technician.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 13, 2015
dridowu:

Base on your point we can as well assume boko haram gain ground because of GEJ. Out of those GEJ appointed one 1 has security knowledge
Those that were appointed are
1) Adetokunbo Kayode (April 2010-July 2011)-Lawyer
2) Bello Haliru Mohammed (July 2011-June 2012)- Vet Doctor
3) Erelu Olusola Obada (June 2012-Sept 2013)- ?
4) Aliyu Gusau (March 2014-May 29 2015)
4) Musiliu Obanikoro (2014) - Public Analsyt.

@topic, appointing Fashola will do good to us since Fashola will be carrying out the adminstrative job not the practical aspect.

Ur first paragraph is very unclear n filled with mistakes, re write please.

Secondly, U can't administer what u don't know.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by dridowu: 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Ur first paragraph is very unclear n filled with mistakes, re write please.

Secondly, U can't administer what u don't know.
@bolded, yet you supported GEJ when he was appointing them to oversee a very important ministry they know nothing about it. Like i said earlier they all head Ministry of Defence without having adequate knowlegde of Defence/Security issue
Those that were appointed are
1) Adetokunbo Kayode (April 2010-July 2011)-Lawyer
2) Bello Haliru Mohammed (July 2011-June 2012)- Vet Doctor
3) Erelu Olusola Obada (June 2012-Sept 2013)- ?
4) Musiliu Obanikoro (2014) - Public Analsyt.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2015
agabusta:

Why not tell us the complete story of how GEJ embarrassed him out of that position even though he was performing well.

GEJ and co also frustrated his efforts with Geometric. And that investment lost millions of dollars.

His replacement performed woefully afterwards.

This is not the first time a non engineer will be minister of power. Bola Ige a lawyer was also a minister of power. Olusegun Agagu, a geologist was also minister of power and steel.

What is needed at tht level is not technical expertise, but astute managerial expertise, foresight and ability to solve knotty issues.

Dangote is no engineer, yet he is successfully managing thousands of engineers. And even constructing a refinery now.

Ibe Kachikwu is no engineer, infact he is even a property lawyer but he rose as an Executive in mobil before being appointed GMD of NNPC and now Minister of State for Petroleum.

Open your mind pls

From 12 days after his failed replacement left the position of minister for power till dis vet moment, I have been having 22 hours of electricity supply daily grin

Lies rigged ur statements n I won't addres dem all, because Yoruba people r known to be chronic liars from POH grin

No none can supervise or administer what he does not know. Fight it forever, fact remains a fact. Fashola can never succeed in d power sector. Only a well experienced Technocrat can. The white men that invented n use technicrats as ministers are not stupidd n u are definitely not better than dem in many way
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 13, 2015
netotse:

You're comparing apples and oranges...won't work.

How do you know the problem is a "lack of technical know how" do you work in the power sector?

Of course. How else would in know the problem
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 13, 2015
ADENIKETINA2015:

What has my opinion got to do with THE YORUBAS.
It's my opinion and you have a right to agree with it or not without being uncouth.

Yoruba is written all over ur opinion. It's thus called Yoruba opinion.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by obailala(m): 2:04pm On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Welcome to nigeria where stupidity is seen as a norm, especially from d most sophisticated tribe grin

U also have a dullard as president, what do u expect

GEJ chose a renounced professor of Mechanical engineering to man the power sector in his time as president. Now we have a lawyer for the same position. grin grin grin

That mechanical engineer now owns geometric power, the first indigenous power generating firm in nigeria n he's doing very well.

Wen I say nothing good can ever come from nigeria, no one gets to understand.
Your own interpretation of the situation ironically proves you to be the stuppid one here. The problem of power in Nigeria is an administrative/management problem and not an engineering problem. Meanwhile the so called professor of Mechanical engineering that was made power minister previously, what did he achieve?... The engineering professor even claimed the problem of power was witches and wizards. grin grin

I'm sure you are a graduate, but unfortunately, paper certificate (irrespective of the grade) does not guarantee intelligence. It is people like you who believe a president must study POLITICAL SCIENCE in school.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Duru1(m): 2:05pm On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
Housing.
choice of career...

This is one major reason Nigeria is a certified failure. You have Lawyers talking about road, bridge and other engineering projects. In the other hand you have physicians and engineers heading banking sector. You have Arabists (Arabic Studies) in charge of Banking system. You have lawyers in charge of health sector. What a zoo.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by obailala(m): 2:09pm On Nov 13, 2015
Duru1:

This is one major reason Nigeria is a certified failure. You have Lawyers talking about road, bridge and other engineering projects. In the other hand you have physicians and engineers heading banking sector. You have Arabists (Arabic Studies) in charge of Banking system. You have lawyers in charge of health sector. What a zoo.
Dude, I'm sure you must be one of those educated illiterates who believe a president should be someone who studied political science undecided
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 13, 2015
obailala:
Your own interpretation of the situation ironically proves you to be the stuppid one here. The problem of power in Nigeria is an administrative/management problem and not an engineering problem. Meanwhile the so called professor of Mechanical engineering that was made power minister previously, what did he achieve?... The engineering professor even claimed the problem of power was witches and wizards. grin grin

I'm sure you are a graduate, but unfortunately, paper certificate (irrespective of the grade) does not guarantee intelligence. It is people like you who believe a president must study POLITICAL SCIENCE in school.

YORUBA n their stupidity, I don't have time to keep telling d same set of stupidd people the same thing.

Just go n check who is presently minister for power in d United States ... educate ur self. Foooooool whey big.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by obailala(m): 2:41pm On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

YORUBA n their stupidity, I don't have time to keep telling d same set of stupidd people the same thing.

Just go n check who is presently minister for power in d United States ... educate ur self. Foooooool whey big.
Your soul seems to have been cursed with tribalism and tribal hatred. What does tribe have to do with the topic of discussion?

You are pathetic!
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Ovamboland(m): 2:49pm On Nov 13, 2015
netotse:

You're comparing apples and oranges...won't work.

How do you know the problem is a "lack of technical know how" do you work in the power sector?

I wonder who told him every engineer is an expert in power systems. Mind you i am an engineer.

There are also so many bank CEO and financial experts with engineering background, and the head of NiMech was pursuing a law degree a few years back. In a nutshell knowledge and capability are never in silos.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by netotse(m): 3:13pm On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Of course. How else would in know the problem

o ok, that's great. could you give me a bit more info about where in the power system you've worked?

I'm also not very clear on what technical problems we have, could you shed a bit more light?

Thanks in advance!
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by omolami: 3:30pm On Nov 13, 2015
A round peg in a square hole. Mumu de rule
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
Housing.
choice of career...

how many machines have you built. or are you not aware that Indians are running 99% of our factory. after graduation you and your colleagues will be running to the banks to apply for job.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Duru1(m): 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2015
obailala:
Dude, I'm sure you must be one of those [b]educated illiterates [/b]who believe a president should be someone who studied political science undecided

The bolded defines you, dude. You are typical Nigerian who could not strike a different between educated and illiterates. I do not blame a loafer such as you but free Internet. By the way, presidency is not departmentalized like ministries. There are advances reasons quite beyond your intellectual level though why the ministries are not one-stop machination. Most Nigerians are disappointments indeed.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by OnReflection: 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2015
@OP is a funny dude.
Do you know what the role of a federal minister actually is?

Minister of Works Malaysia
Yusof first ran for Parliament in the 2004 election, having previously been an official in the PBB and a lawyer.[3] Fadillah won the election for the seat of Petra Jaya.[4] After being re-elected in the 2008 election, he was appointed Deputy Minister for Science, Technology and Innovation by then Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

Minsiser of Public Works, South Africa
Mr Nxesi holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Fort Hare obtained in 1983; a Bachelor of Education degree from Witwatersrand University and a Higher Diploma in Education from the University of South Africa (UNISA).

Minister of Energy, South Africa
She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and History from the University of the Western Cape and Higher Diploma in Education from the University of the Western Cape
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Duru1(m): 4:12pm On Nov 13, 2015
obailala:

I guess you are not confusing Mechanical with Electrical Engineering. There must be a need for rudimental knowledge of how a system works before anyone can lead by example. Nigeria that houses individuals such as you is a dead end. Per the bold, I guess your foolery will not allow you to understand the connation of the word, graduate.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by obailala(m): 4:13pm On Nov 13, 2015
Duru1:

The bolded defines you, dude. You are typical Nigerian who could not strike a different between educated and illiterates. I do not blame a loafer such as you but free Internet. By the way, presidency is not departmentalized like ministries. There are advances reasons quite beyond your intellectual level though why the ministries are not one-stop machination. Most Nigerians are disappointments indeed.
Who are the 'most' Nigerians that are disappointed?... Is it your gang of Jonathanian wailers and transition radio secessionists that you refer to as 'most' Nigerians?

The NNPC GMD today is also a lawyer are you aware of that?... I'm sure your category of intelligence would also regard his appointment as flawed because you expect an NNPC head to also study petroleum engineering?... Or maybe I wouldn't be too shocked if you think Kachikwu is not a bad choice solely because he is of your tribe... Please take several seats behind; your opinions don't matter one bit.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by OnReflection: 4:19pm On Nov 13, 2015
Right, where was I, @OP

Minister of Power, India
Piyush Goyal is the Hon’ble Minister of State with Independent Charge for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy in the Government of India.

He has had a strong academic record - all-India second rank holder Chartered Accountant and second rank holder in Law in Mumbai University. He has participated in Leadership Programs at Yale University (2011), Oxford University (2012) and Princeton University (2013) and is currently pursuing the Owner / President Management (OPM) Program at Harvard Business School. He did his schooling from Don Bosco High School, Matunga

P.S - I have purposely stayed clear of more developed countries, where oblong pegs are usually placed in triangular holes tongue
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by otokx(m): 4:21pm On Nov 13, 2015
machinegundammy:
If Chinedu Nebo who is an Engineer, Ex minister of power, former University Vice Chancellor and infact a Professor for that matter attributed the cause of power outage in Nigeria to "witches and demons", then it gives buhari the jurisdiction to appoint whoever he believes has the required capacity to deliver competently.

That man ought to be stripped of all his educational qualifications and then sent for psychiatric evaluation if truly he said that nonsense.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by OnReflection: 4:24pm On Nov 13, 2015
Duru1:

I guess you are not confusing Mechanical with Electrical Engineering. There must be a need for rudimental knowledge of how a system works before anyone can lead by example. Nigeria that houses individuals as such you is dead end. Per the bold, I guess your foolery will allow you to understand the connation of the word, graduate.

^^^LoL.
I see there is absolutely no let up in elder Dede's haughtiness, with respect to all things relating to Nigeria. cheesy

So much convulsion...
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by vodkat: 4:31pm On Nov 13, 2015
Yoti:
NIGERIAN ENGINEERS:
Housing.
choice of career...

What that post needs is not an engineer but an action man ( a project manager or director) someone who can get things done and Fashola has good track record...

all d engineers that have been minister of works in the past what did they do.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Duru1(m): 4:31pm On Nov 13, 2015
OnReflection:
Right, where was I, @OP

Minister of Power, India

P.S - I have purposely stayed clear of more developed countries, where oblong pegs are usually placed in triangular holes tongue

You are trying to compare Oranges and Apples. Nigeria needs a foundation laying experts who can lead by example. The countries you have so far mentioned have individuals with heads above their shoulders. However, you have failed to tell what experiences the appointees had in the sector before been appointed ministers. In most developed countries where certain individual may have obtained certificate in education but widely knowledgeable in power industries. Nigeria, as far as I am concerned, is practical joke. Were the ministerial appointees grilled on the rudimental knowledge of ministry he/she will head? Rather what was obtained in the Senate during the confirmation hearing was circus of deluded jackasses.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by OnReflection: 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2015
Duru1:

You are trying to compare Oranges and Apples. Nigeria needs a foundation laying experts who can lead by example. The countries you have so far mentioned have individuals with heads above their shoulders. However, you have failed to tell what experiences the appointees had in the sector before been appointed ministers. In most developed countries where certain individual may have obtained certificate in education but widely knowledgeable in power industries. Nigeria, as far as I am concerned, is practical joke. Were the ministerial appointees grilled on the rudimental knowledge of ministry he/she will head? Rather what was obtained in the Senate during the confirmation hearing was circus of deluded jackasses.

Right, so the countries I mentioned have individuals with heads above their shoulders but their counterparts in Nigeria are headless?
You are far losing the little bit of objectivity you still possess, our bile-filled elder. Every comment you post shows you enjoy being disagreeable just for the sake of it. angry

Instead of leveraging bombast, as you are wont to do, why don't you regale us with examples which actually buttress your point?
Too much to ask? Or is it that you are simply shooting the breeze, with the hope that those of us who know your antecedents won't notice tongue
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 13, 2015
obailala:
Your soul seems to have been cursed with tribalism and tribal hatred. What does tribe have to do with the topic of discussion?

You are pathetic!

Every single Nigerian na tribalist ooo.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 5:01pm On Nov 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Yoruba is written all over ur opinion. It's thus called Yoruba opinion.
Onye akiko.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Adminisher: 5:01pm On Nov 13, 2015
Too many kids on Nairaland.
The job of the Minister of works , housing and power has no relationship with engineering in anyway. It is about setting policy, looking at statutory regulatory frameworks in those sectors, managing performance of those who manage the performance of engineers. Overseeing policy on complex issues like contracts.
If you shadow a minister in any country every minute for one month , there is nothing like engineering in what they do.
Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 13, 2015
ADENIKETINA2015:

Onye akiko.

So many igbos live in d s waste to the extent that Yoruba people can now read n write igbo language grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dino Melaye's Thuggish Behavior. Shouting And Fighting: VIDEO / Should Midbelt/north States ask For National Derivation From Hydropower Supply? / Lagos Female Politician Muniratu Adedoyin Caught Doing Human Ritual- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.