Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,071 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:59 PM

I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God (10511 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / I'm Losing Faith In Christianity / My Faith Verses Near Death Experiences - I'm Losing It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by blackspade(m): 7:52pm On May 20, 2009
My whole family believes in god and I do too, but recently (as in the last few months) I've been questioning myself with things such as: does god exist? what if religion is just one of the worlds longest running fairytales? why are there so many contradictions in the bible? am I wasting my time worshipping something I can't see? is christianity just a mechanism used by europeans to spread their idealogy and culture?

I want to believe in god, and recognize some of the things in life that we can't explain, and can only be explained by god, but sometimes I just don't know. I've been feeling a little depressed lately, so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know. What the hell is wrong with me? Am I just going through a phase?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 20, 2009
@blackspade why dont you convert to ISLAM to enjoy the best inner peace then you will find out the true word of GOD and you will know he truely exist, to let you know the QURAN is the final message to mankind to correct the lies and anomalies of the BILBLE.

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by temilola12(f): 8:04pm On May 20, 2009
My dear Brother,

Please don't lose your faith in God. He is the Creator of Heaven and the Earth, besides Him there is no other gods. Do not be deceived by the ruler of this world the devil by blindfolding you into His fold. If you have being reading and studying your Bible very well you must have read in so many places about the existence of God the Almighty. God does exists. He sees and knows what you are going through right now. What you have to do is to go to God in prayers to save you and accept you as His son and He will deliver you from evil thought. As you have known that only Jesus is the son of God, He will save you and through Him alone you can get access to the Father. Please, study your Bible daily and read daily Christian devotional books. You can as well keep Christian companies those you know are genuine Christians. God bless you my brother. It is well.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by SeanT21(f): 8:07pm On May 20, 2009
You were never a "true" believer in the first place if U have to question your faith.

Its not 'god" its GOD!!

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by manmustwac(m): 8:17pm On May 20, 2009
uplawal:

@blackspade why dont you convert to ISLAM to enjoy the best inner peace then you will find out the true word of GOD and you will know he truely exist, to let you know the QURAN is the final message to mankind to correct the lies and anomalies of the BILBLE.
Uplawal u make me laugh grin

Blackspade if it is a phase your going through then it should only last a few weeks but me personally believe its not. Your begin to question your faith which means your beginning to question your beliefs. Your beginning to notice all the flaws in the bible. I guess its like breaking with old habits. Just take your time and make your decisions carefully. Its all in your hands.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 20, 2009
blackspade . . . let me be 100% honest with you. You're in the same boat i was in for a time. There have been times i have wondered if God truly exists or if he cares . . . i have had occasions where i was just too depressed to do anything but lie down and cry silently.

But each time i felt so down, a certain peace i cant understand floods my soul . . . in those moments when i prayed, i felt someone was listening . . that someone cared as long as i was willing to seek for His help.

Your situation is normal, we are still in a flesh that would rather sin than obey the Lord. We live in a society where everyone else who isnt christian seems to be happier and live more fulfilled lives than those of us who carry the bible around. But we also live in a society where God still loves His own no matter how small they may be.

Brother, this is the time to read the bible more . . . this is the time to get involved in bible-believing church, this is a time to surround urself with friends who are interested in the things of God too. We cant go this journey alone . . . that is why Prov 27:17 says - Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

God's grace is sufficient for you. Stay firm.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by AjaraEwuro: 8:20pm On May 20, 2009
because of a woman- shame on u.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 8:21pm On May 20, 2009
Could I throw in a small piece in here?

SeanT21:

You where never a "true" believer in the first place if U have to question your faith.

Perhaps, that's not the best place to start. No. There's no reason to not question one's faith; afterall, Christ often called His listeners to "understand" what He was teaching (see Mark 7:14 - ". .He had called all the people unto Him, He said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand"wink.

However, it often holds true that when someone has experienced God's loving grace for himself or herself, they do not begin to 'lose' their faith in Him.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by blackspade(m): 8:22pm On May 20, 2009
Thanks for the replies everyone,

@ uplawal

Thank you, I did have a conversation with a convert to Islam (from Christianity) and he was telling me much of what you said plus more, the religion itself seems very interesting, but I'd probably become an atheist before converting to another religion (nothing against Islam).

@ temiola

Thank you my sister, I will take your words to heart.

@ SeanT21

Thank you for being blunt, you are probably right.

While admitting that, I do want to believe in god. If I were to live my life believing in nothing, I feel that would be a very boring, depressing existence, unless I discover something that truly proves there is no god whatsoever.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 20, 2009
pilgrim.1:

However, it often holds true that when someone has experienced God's loving grace for himself or herself, they do not begin to 'lose' their faith in Him.

I dont think so . . . John the Baptist saw the miracles, he saw the dove on Christ as he baptized Him . . . in prison he had cause to doubt whether Christ was truly the Messiah.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by SeanT21(f): 8:29pm On May 20, 2009
@black

"Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

Thomas said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20.27-29"

Jesus never rebuked anyone for doubting,only for refusing to consider the evidence" Doubting is not a sin. Deep Down I don't blame U for doubting.After all you did not see God walk on the water and you did not see him raise the dead,etc.

Read and Study THE BIBLE is the only answer to your problem!!

Ask God to sustain your faith

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 8:32pm On May 20, 2009
blackspade:

My whole family believes in god and I do too, but recently (as in the last few months) I've been questioning myself with things such as: does god exist? what if religion is just one of the worlds longest running fairytales? why are there so many contradictions in the bible? am I wasting my time worshipping something I can't see? is christianity just a mechanism used by europeans to spread their idealogy and culture?

I want to believe in god, and recognize some of the things in life that we can't explain, and can only be explained by god, but sometimes I just don't know. I've been feeling a little depressed lately, so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know. What the hell is wrong with me? Am I just going through a phase?

@blackspade,

The highlights are things we encounter in almost every facet of life - it is not limited to religion or one's faith. These three things -

'contradictions'

'unseen realities'

'unexplained phenomena'

. . all three things exist in other fields of enquiries and worldeviews. There are as many contradictions, unseen realities and unexplianed phenomena in politics, culture, evolutionary biology, sports, worldviews. . . you name it. There's hardly any religion that can boast that it has not a tint of contradiction; nor can anyone honestly say that scientists do not contradict themselves. Yet for all that, people do not stop believing what they believe in these matters which they hold dear to themselves; the bigger question, however, is WHY they believe what they do. This is where one comes to the question of experience - and many people who have passed through unspeakable experiences know for themselves why they believe in God, regardless the other two features: 'unseen realities' and things which are 'unexplained phenomena'.

One does not have to answer every single question in life before they can believe in the supernatural - and as long as the fact of the supernatural cannot be denied (even though many times unexplained), it makes one humble enough to seek God for himself or herself. I hope this helps as a starting point.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 8:36pm On May 20, 2009
davidylan:

pilgrim.1 link=topic=274559.msg3897739#msg3897739 date=1242847273:

I dont think so . . . John the Baptist saw the miracles, he saw the dove on Christ as he baptized Him . . . in prison he had cause to doubt whether Christ was truly the Messiah.

@davidylan,

Thanks for your observation, but I think you got it all mixed up. In all of those things, John the Baptist did not doubt the existence of God; and that is not the same as doubting who exactly Christ was. These are entirely two different things. The former may tend to atheism; the latter does not, but only enquires about the identity of the Messiah. Blessings.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by huxley2(m): 8:39pm On May 20, 2009
blackspade:

Hello blackspade,

Am curious about how you got to the point of doubting and question your faith in god.  I take it that you were raised in a Christian environment in which conformity to the family/local religion is highy favour and doubting and questioning is treating with disgust?  If that is true, then stand up and give yourself a BIG CHEERS.

Doubts, skepticism and questioning is part of the maturing process and to the extend that you have these sentiments indicates very health cognitive functioning on your part.  You have a number of routes available to you, namely;

1)  Explore alternatives to your religion, including other religions (the supernatual option) and/or non-religious or naturalistic alternatives,

2)  You can consigne thouse doubts to the recesses of your mind (for now) and just carry on with your current beliefs.

My advice to you would be to pursue option 1).  After all, ALL religions CANNOT be right and you own yourself to find out which one (if any) is the right one.  The Islamicist claim their religion is right, so do the Christians, the Jews, etc, etc.  Whose claim to you think is justified?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 20, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@davidylan,

Thanks for your observation, but I think you got it all mixed up. In all of those things, John the Baptist did not doubt the existence of God; and that is not the same as doubting who exactly Christ was. These are entirely two different things. The former may tend to atheism; the latter does not, but only enquires about the identity of the Messiah. Blessings.

This is the same John who heard these exact words - Mark 1:9. In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens opened and the Spirit descending upon him like a dove; 11 and a voice came from heaven, "Thou are my beloved Son; with thee I am well pleased."

how come John still doubted who exactly Christ was?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 8:43pm On May 20, 2009
huxley2:

1)  Explore alternatives to your religion, including other religions (the supernatual option) and/or non-religious or naturalistic alternatives,

>snip<

My advice to you would be to pursue option 1).  After all, ALL religions CANNOT be right and you own yourself to find out which one (if any) is the right one.  The Islamicist claim their religion is right, so do the Christians, the Jews, etc, etc.  Whose claim to you think is justified?

The non-religious and naturalists cannot all be right as well - they also contradict themselves in so many instances. We should ask them as well: whose claim (among the same non-religious and naturalists) is justified?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by huxley2(m): 8:46pm On May 20, 2009
pilgrim.1:

The non-religious and naturalists cannot all be right as well - they also contradict themselves in so many instances. We should ask them as well: whose claim (among the same non-religious and naturalists) is justified?

Absolutely true observation. I should have added that too, to be fair and balance.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by SeanT21(f): 8:54pm On May 20, 2009
davidylan:

This is the same John who heard these exact words - Mark 1:9. In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens opened and the Spirit descending upon him like a dove; 11 and a voice came from heaven, "Thou are my beloved Son; with thee I am well pleased."

Around the time John Baptized Jesus he was not familiar with him. "“I myself did not know him” (John 1:31)"When Jesus had approached at the Jordan that was when he realized that he did indeed baptized the Lord.When he was stuck in the cell that was when he had all those "DOUBTING" thoughts.Even with all his doubts,John still trusted in him.Jesus eve said this about John "Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: not withstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he".

@blackspade

I am sorry 4 my first post.Even the deepest in Christ can doubt!!
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 8:54pm On May 20, 2009
davidylan:

@davidylan,

You seem to be getting further away from the basic enquiry. Let me outline them for you:

(a) doubting "the existence of God"

(b) doubting "who exactly Christ was"

These are two doubts, and they are worlds apart.

There are many people who doubt who Christ was - that is not the same thing as doubting the existence of God. Even in the New Testament, there are many who doubted several things about Him:

~ whether He was the Christ (Matt. 26:63[b]a[/b], Luke 22:67), or:

~ whether He was the Son of God (Matt. 26:63[b]b[/b], Luke 22:70), or:

~ whether He was indeed the King of the Jews (Matt. 27:11);

~ or, yet again, just plainly: "Who art thou?" (John 8:25)

All these and many questions were not asked by anyone who was considering losing faith in GOD. They all believed in God, though they wondered about the identity of Christ - two things that are worlds apart. Many people who are NOT Christians also believe in God, though they do not believe in Christ - does that make them atheists?

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 8:55pm On May 20, 2009
huxley2:

Absolutely true observation. I should have added that too, to be fair and balance.

No worries, huxley2. How are you anyways?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by SeanT21(f): 8:58pm On May 20, 2009
@pilgrim

That's true. Doubting in the "existence of God" and Doubting if God is the "messiah" are 2 different things.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 9:01pm On May 20, 2009
SeanT21:

@pilgrim

That's true. Doubting in the "existence of God" and Doubting if God is the "messiah" are 2 different things.

Bless you, SeanT21 wink
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 20, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@davidylan,

You seem to be getting further away from the basic enquiry. Let me outline them for you:

(a) doubting "the existence of God"

(b) doubting "who exactly Christ was"

These are two doubts, and they are worlds apart.

There are many people who doubt who Christ was - that is not the same thing as doubting the existence of God. Even in the New Testament, there are many who doubted several things about Him:

~ whether He was the Christ (Matt. 26:63[b]a[/b], Luke 22:67), or:

~ whether He was the Son of God (Matt. 26:63[b]b[/b], Luke 22:70), or:

~ whether He was indeed the King of the Jews (Matt. 27:11);

~ or, yet again, just plainly: "Who art thou?" (John 8:25)

All these and many questions were not asked by anyone who was considering losing faith in GOD. They all believed in God, though they wondered about the identity of Christ - two things that are worlds apart. Many people who are NOT Christians also believe in God, though they do not believe in Christ - does that make them atheists?

while i understand your point . . . i'd like to REALISTICALLY examine John's issue as it pertains to us today. Would we be as forgiving of John's question today if he had posed it on a nairaland forum? The answer is a big NO!

Its easier to justify John today since all we have of him is a short story stuck somewhere in the gospels . . . John HEARD God's voice at Jordan, he SAW the dove descend on Jesus Christ . . . for him to doubt if truly Christ was the messiah was a tacit admission that perhaps all he had heard and seen that day might have been a fantasy all along.

Blackspade's puzzle is not even close to John's. Blackspade never experienced what John saw, blackspade has NEVER seen Christ IN THE FLESH, blackspade was not a first-hand witness to miracles, signs and wonders. Blackspade was not there when Christ preached powerful sermons that changed hearts and convicted souls . . . if John himself could waver in the face of adversity . . . pls i think blackspade's case is not as bad.

This is the same John who must have learnt, on his mother's knees, about the prophecy about him and his cousin Jesus. This is a John who from a child knew what his role was - to be a forerunner of Christ the Messiah . . .

This same John suddenly wasnt sure who the Messiah was again after so long?

Its easy to say that anyone who doubts God was never a christian in the first place . . . perhaps many need to go through those extremely low points in life when you wonder if anyone truly cares whether you exist or not.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 20, 2009
SeanT21:

@pilgrim

Unfortunately i simply do not agree. God promised that He would send Christ (essentially Himself) as the Messiah . . . to deny Christ is to deny God period.

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by MrCrackles(m): 9:02pm On May 20, 2009
Topic

I have also gone through a similar situation but i got my head round it quickly

I am not here to sell any bloody religion to you though

Have faith in God because God exists

Different religion might be confusing and bogging your mind down, so you may want to speak directly to God and ignore any religion

As long as you believe there is only one God, no one else comes close and no one else was sent to replace God!

The flaws in different religions and incorrect information in all holy books will only plunge one into a quagmire, if you think too much about

Our creator exists, God definitely created heaven and earth

Have faith and all the best!
grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 20, 2009
@blackspade, my dear brother follow your mind and let GOD personally speak to you,why dont you ask him to show himself to you at this time, all this christians advising you are just trying thier best to lure you back based on what they av been taught by the same bible that is full of contradictions, and to tell you that the HOLY SPIRIT is not in the church atall as many of our pastors dont look they are truely inspired by it, all they are after is earthly possessions, because i tell you if the presence is there there wont be ill reputations of pastors and the entire church even if everyone has got individualls differences.ALLAH knows best
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 20, 2009
uplawal:

@blackspade, my dear brother follow your mind and let GOD personally speak to you,why dont you ask him to show himself to you at this time, all this christians advising you are just trying thier best to lure you back based on what they av been taught by the same bible that is full of contradictions, and to tell you that the HOLY SPIRIT is not in the church atall as many of our pastors dont look they are truely inspired by it, all they are after is earthly possessions, because i tell you if the presence is there there wont be ill reputations of pastors and the entire church even if everyone has got individualls differences.ALLAH knows best

Who is this? Did allah ever personally speak to mohammad himself? Did he ever show himself to mohammad? comot hia pls . . . all these charlatans borrowing bible-language to paper over idol-worship.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 9:08pm On May 20, 2009
davidylan:

Who is this? Did allah ever personally speak to mohammad himself? Did he ever show himself to mohammad? comot hia pls . . . all these charlatans borrowing bible-language to paper over idol-worship.

Hehe. . good word. cheesy
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by huxley2(m): 9:08pm On May 20, 2009
Isn't having DOUBT already a SIN?

Romans 14: 23,  But the person who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not act in faith; and anything that is not done in faith is sin.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 9:13pm On May 20, 2009
@uplawal,

uplawal:

@blackspade, my dear brother follow your mind and let GOD personally speak to you,why dont you ask him to show himself to you at this time,

This is hardly the language of an informed Muslim/muslimah. No right-thinking Muslim speaks in such concept of asking God (if you meant 'allah') to "SHOW" himself to anyone - no Muslim speaks like that. At best, you borrowed the language from Christians.

uplawal:

all this christians advising you are just trying thier best to lure you back based on what they av been taught by the same bible that is full of contradictions,

You can't claim that your religion is all 'correct' and neatly packaged. To argue otherwise is pompous and uninformed.

uplawal:

and to tell you that the HOLY SPIRIT is not in the church atall as many of our pastors dont look they are truely inspired by it, all they are after is earthly possessions, because i tell you if the presence is there there wont be ill reputations of pastors and the entire church even if everyone has got individualls differences.ALLAH knows best

You have no clue who the Holy Spirit is, uplawal. People have been sharing their ideas peacefully without put-downs, I wonder why you assume that your attitude would bring him closer to any answers to his enquiries?

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by SeanT21(f): 9:13pm On May 20, 2009
huxley2:

Romans 14: 23,  But the person who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not act in faith; and anything that is not done in faith is sin.

NOOOOO
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by pilgrim1(f): 9:14pm On May 20, 2009
huxley2:

The word 'doubt' is enunciated in various contexts in the Bible. That reference (Romans 14:23) is in context of what one eats, not about the existence of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Cast Powerful Love Spell For Free / When Paul And Silas Was In Prison Who Was The DPO? / Bible Scholars Lets Discuss Eternal Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.