Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,368 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God (10525 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / I'm Losing Faith In Christianity / My Faith Verses Near Death Experiences - I'm Losing It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by amnestylaw(m): 7:19pm On May 27, 2009
Hello,
Firstly, I would want to commend that boldness you exhibitted by coming out in the first place to question the existence or otherwise of god and whether your religion is correct. You are just one among Billions of people who question their faith and or beleif. One thing I want you to realise is that humans were never born christians, muslims, budhists or religionists. As humans ,we are first of all human beings before christians, muslims and the likes. Forget about the fact that your parents beleive in a god, and that almost everybody belongs to one faith or the other. What we need as human beings is not god(God),religion or supernatural powers but science and critical thinking. Being born into a christian home and raised among the Nigerian northern muslims, i had the opprtunity to learn about two different faiths-islam and christianity. Even thugh I was actively involved in preaching the gospel of christ after studying the bible with foreign teachers at the world Bible School, USA, I still questioned the authenticity of not only the bible but quran and other religions.The reasons are not far fetched--- There is no concrete evidence for the existence of the supernatural, an omniposcient(all knowing ) god did not need to regret creating human beings since in the first place, s/he should have known that humans would go wayward. Moses, the writer of the first five books of the old testament shouldn't have written that:''and moses died and the lord buried him and up till date no one knows where he was buried". He forgot he was writing about his death while he was still alive.
With God alone you cannot pass your exams, get what to eat or succeed in life. To pass, succeed or eat, you need to work hard , man needs to invent things that will make life easier for him. Religion, someone said, is the opium of the masses. Most people belong to a faith or beleive in a god because they do not want to be labelled unbeleivers, faithless, atheists, devilish and the likes. However, I want to inform you that there are thousands of unbeleivers making it in life, doing good and putting their fellow human beings first. As a Humanist who knows that science does not have answers to all our problems, I see science, reason and critical thinking as what we need rather than a god or devil we cannot see, verify or feel. Man should be blamed for all the problems of this world and not god or devil because there are no enough evidence to prove they exist.

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by mazaje(m): 10:09pm On May 27, 2009
davidylan:

I read through your write-up thoroughly Bindex, that was why i came to my own conclusion. I stand by my point - if you thought the heart-felt faith experience was a farce it was simply because you never truly experienced it. You simply played the typical nigerian christian game of make-believe. I see many "christians" today quote the bible endlessly, are pretty quick to come up with "name it and claim it" quotes, pray endlessly (always for material blessings) but deep down they do not have a deep connection with the Father.

how do you know this? the other time you once labelled wirinet's relatives as "not truly saved" without ever knowing any one of them, now you are falsely asserting that my man bindex was never really a christian. What connection do you have with the father that other christians do not? davidylan is the only guy that knows christianity and is connected with the father eh? grin grin deluded goon

the Christian walk is not about you, it is all about Christ. It is not about your feelings, it is about His command and His will. I am not perfect, there have been times i was tempted to take a step back and live like every other normal atheist but having tasted what it truly means to love God selflessly, to be able to talk to Him and listen to Him talk back, to be able to take silly problems to Him to solve and be amazed when He responds . . . i dont need to be told this isnt make-believe.

did jesus tell you this himself or did you read it from somewhere? grin grin. what silly problems have you ever taken to your imaginary god and he helped you solve care to tell us about it? grin grin. If you have a problem do you just sit back and wait for your imaginary god to come help you or do you actually go about trying to solve it? the whole christian charade is a farce and a ridiculous make believe. i have said it so many times the facts are all against your make believe tales are assertions that have no evidence what so ever. if only prayers truly works we won't be here having this conversation

It may be a farce to you . . . you are surely entitled to your opinion

it is a farce and a delusion that keeps goons like you in check. . . . .
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by toneyb: 10:27pm On May 27, 2009
mazaje:

it is a farce and a delusion that keeps goons like you in check. . . . .

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe."

--Carl Sagan
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by mazaje(m): 10:35pm On May 27, 2009
toneyb:

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe."

--Carl Sagan

i really like this. . . .the christian "beliefs" is based purely on faith. faith is void of truth unless that truth is solely for that person and what they believe. . . . . . . an atheist needs proof or sufficient evidence that aligns with reality, and not fantasy. faith equates to fantasy.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by bindex(m): 10:59pm On May 27, 2009
mazaje:

how do you know this? the other time you once labelled wirinet's relatives as "not truly saved" without ever knowing any one of them, now you are falsely asserting that my man bindex was never really a christian. What connection do you have with the father that other christians do not? davidylan is the only guy that knows christianity and is connected with the father eh? grin grin deluded goon

Davidylan believes that he alone knows what it means or takes to be a Christian. As far as "really being a Christian", that is such a cliche argument that it is almost unbearable to hear it. he believes that his view on Christianity is the only true one, and he believes that he very right that there is no way you could understand Christianity as it was meant to be understood and change your mind.  grin grin
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by ifele(m): 3:51am On May 28, 2009
Religion is the cause of all madness,depression and failure.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by jookco(m): 4:01am On May 28, 2009
I know what is wrong with you, it's never your fault, Jesus know it will be like this and he said in the book of Ephesians 6:
11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Satan is going around assaulting our minds , you need not to give Satan a chance, just remember all teh good thing God have done to you, a good faithfull christian can never ask God is he exist, Christ Changes life, it make you to depart from sin, it gives you a forgiving life which is peace, Go read my article online at https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-277183.0.html , if you need help on this email me at jookco@gmail.com and I will give you word of strenght to stand firm in the Lord.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by duduspace(m): 12:28pm On May 28, 2009
m_nwankwo:

@Poster

To believe or not believe in God is a decision that only you can make. Advices and opinions of others may be well meant but they will not solve your seeming problem. The search for God is personal and my view is that you should only believe what you have personally experienced. What others tell you may be true but unless you have personally experienced it, it will not help you. Doubt is very essential for both material and spiritual development. Thus you should not dismiss or ignore your doubt but wrestle with them, confront them until you gain clarity and inner peace. To ignore or dismiss ones doubt especially in spiritual matters will only lead to blind faith. You should not believe in God because you want to, rather you should because you have personally experienced God both in what is physically visible and invinsible. No true belief in God can arise without personal experience of God and his will.
Thus if one honestly has not personally experienced the existence of God, then it is correct not to believe until you have the personal evidence. I wish you strenghth in your search. Stay blessed.

Interesting m_nwankwo, would you oblige to tell us in practical terms how your personal experience of God and his will was?

And I do respect your opinion given in the second part.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by mnwankwo(m): 12:50pm On May 28, 2009
duduspace:

Interesting m_nwankwo, would you oblige to tell us in practical terms how your personal experience of God and his will was?

And I do respect your opinion given in the second part.

Hi duduspace. I can oblige but I am always very, very reluctant of giving personal testimonies because the search for God is personal and even if one believe my personal journey, it will not help the person except he or she experiences  the same thing. To answer you question albeit briefly, I will say that the laws of Nature are the manifestation of the will of God. In other words, God is the author of the laws of Nature. Secondly, from childhood  I do see, smell, hear, torch, feel, sense what most people regard as fairly tales and legends. Such experiences are as real to me as physical breathing. Thirdly, I believe that one who follows the twin principles of LOVE and JUSTICE will finally find God for LOVE and JUSTICE are intrinsic attributes of God. A reflection of these attributes of God are in the creations of God. Thus in my experiencing,  events, happenings,  process etc that are not in harmony with LOVE and JUSTICE are not from God. Hopefully some day, I may give you several personal experiences that have impacted my spiritual development. Stay blessed.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by ugo2u(m): 1:49pm On May 29, 2009
@ poster

Can you see the air? Can you touch it? How do you know it exists except u can feel it and see it's effect on the world.

So it is with God, you cant see Him, you cant touch him but you can feel Him in your spirit and see His work all around you.

religion has never been the answer and will never will, the answer is within your spirit that is the only way you can reach Him

science cant understand God and neither can your mind, only your spirit can.

God is nearest to us when we are down. If you want to know then when ever you are depressed and alone talk to Him like you would a friend and then listen with your heart.

He cant force Himself to us because he gave us free will and He cant be where he is not wanted. But He will always love you and wait for you.

Look within you and tell me if your spirit is not hungry for something this world cant give.

God is waiting for you and ready to make you a son, will you accept Him as a Father?

If you are, send me an email, leochrisunlimited@hotmail.com
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by MadMax1(f): 2:49am On May 30, 2009
duduspace:

I was a muslim for the 1st 14 years of my life and later converted to Christianity after my dad died. I was a Christian for over a decade. I lost my faith in the bible and the god it was talking about when reality hit me real hard. It was a TRAGIC experience but I think looking back its kind of good that it happened, I know understand life and people better than before when i was living like a blind man groping in darkness for what is not there. I understand what it means to lose your faith, I was once in the posters shoes, I creid for weeks but as things became clearer to me I was happy that I no longer held those beliefs. I know how Painful it is that is why I encouraged the poster to hold unto his beliefs if it will make him happier.

You must have been devastated. "Things became clearer to you"? How? You don't have to answer that, of course. Did you leave Christianity for the same reasons you left Islam? Why did you convert to Christianity in the first place? What did you want,while you practiced it, from that religion? What did you want it to do for you? Obviously, it failed you in this regard.

I know you know religion has two kinds of adherents: those who chose it because it reflected their true spiritual identity, because it spoke deeply to something hidden in them. And those who had religion thrust upon them; it was the family religion and they believed what everyone else believed. Most of us fall into the last category,and many are accepting of this and continue to be blind,indoctrinated mice to the end of their lives. At some point we should question what has been thrust upon us,reject it, and then seek our true spiritual identity and the religious philosophy within which it flourishes. It might turn out to be the religion of our parents after all, but this time we would know what we believe; it would be our choice. It might be another religion entirely. If one religion has failed you,does it mean ALL religion has failed?NO. If a segment of a religion has failed,has that religion failed?NO. 

I was born Catholic and practiced that impressively solemn,futile horror of empty religious ritual until I couldn't stand it anymore and hated religion. It was easy to conclude that was the Christian experience, and abandon that religion. I did. But after a while I started searching again. Did Catholism fail me, that beautiful,utterly lifeless,ritualistic,pseudo-religious monster?YES!!! It has failed many and turned them from God,like it did me. It's very good at that.Did that mean Christ, and by extension Christianity has failed? Absolutely not. Religious institutions are human institutions, and sometimes when men fail we think it is God that's failed. Er, NO.

And yet Catholism has many indoctrinated devotees: I can't comment on the genuineness of their religious experience because I don't know it, I only know mine,which was empty,zero,nothingness. I do know that God is merciful and ignores many of the artificial human constructs,like 'denomination'', that separate us. In spite of the fact that I had different experiences with different segments of Christianity, Christianity is one. The divisions of which much is made, are mostly unimportant differences in biblical interpretation. In the essentials,all of Christianity is in agreement: Christ is the way, the truth and the life. All else is plain silliness.

And yet,and yet:dead emptiness while practicing Catholism,which is within Christianity, the emptiness going away when I departed from it. And aliveness and wholeness now, and within the same Christianity I was so eager to give up after being let down by a segment of it.

Perhaps something similar happened when you were a Christian.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by ifele(m): 9:02pm On May 30, 2009
you dont need religion yu neeed god.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by bawomolo(m): 9:41pm On May 30, 2009
mad_max : are you willing to try other religions?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by MadMax1(f): 10:24pm On May 30, 2009
ifele:

Yes. But this is about the poster, not me.

bawomolo:

mad_max : are you willing to try other religions?

When I was searching I was, and did. Bindex started that conversation a page or so back. I thought he was an ex-Muslim but it turns out he's much more. I left Christianity. But when I found myself, it was back within it,after a fashion. I wasn't talking about gallivanting from one Christian denomination to another; I was merely contrasting my two extremely different experiences of the same religion.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Diva1(f): 4:47am On May 31, 2009
Davidylan:

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God
« #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blackspade . . . let me be 100% honest with you. You're in the same boat i was in for a time. There have been times i have wondered if God truly exists or if he cares . . . i have had occasions where i was just too depressed to do anything but lie down and cry silently.

But each time i felt so down, a certain peace i cant understand floods my soul . . . in those moments when i prayed, i felt someone was listening . . that someone cared as long as i was willing to seek for His help.

Your situation is normal, we are still in a flesh that would rather sin than obey the Lord. We live in a society where everyone else who isnt christian seems to be happier and live more fulfilled lives than those of us who carry the bible around. But we also live in a society where God still loves His own no matter how small they may be.

Brother, this is the time to read the bible more . . . this is the time to get involved in bible-believing church, this is a time to surround urself with friends who are interested in the things of God too. We cant go this journey alone . . . that is why Prov 27:17 says - Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

God's grace is sufficient for you. Stay firm.

Report to moderator Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Diva1(f): 4:50am On May 31, 2009
I loved what Davidylan said. We seem to live in a world where non christians seem to be enjoying themselves so much, I've felt like that too but it only became worse when I heard my heart broken. I just couldn't understand if he was really there but eact time I prayed about it, I felt better even if it was at that point in time.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by bindex(m): 11:02am On May 31, 2009
Mad_Max:

You must have been devastated. "Things became clearer to you"? How? You don't have to answer that, of course. Did you leave Christianity for the same reasons you left Islam? Why did you convert to Christianity in the first place? What did you want,while you practiced it, from that religion? What did you want it to do for you? Obviously, it failed you in this regard.

Things became clearer to me when I realized that all religions are just an assumption and part of man's quest in providing answers to the unknown. Life is very complex, so man in his quest to find answers decided to create a divine entity or divine entities (usually in his own image) to help him provide answers for that which he does not know or can not comprehend. I converted to Christianity becaue my Mum convinced me that Jesus was God while Allah was the devil. grin. Her and her sisters will prayed for me, went with me through biblical verses that talk about Jesus being the greatest source of love and kindness and juxtaposed it with koranic verses where Allah talks about kill, kill and kill the unbelievers(Now I know it was all a charade because Allah is even better than the OT God if you think I am lying then read the Koran and read the OT, by the way there are other parts of the koran that talk about love too). I never really wanted Islam to do anything for me, all I wanted was for Allah to protect my family, and friends and to protect me from the powers of Shaitan and it never really failed me. I got what ever I "prayed" for and Allah really "protected" me. I was a lucky child because my dad was very much "blessed" by Allah and Allah "made" a him very rich man. So Islam had never failed me at all. I was convinced that Islam was not the way to eternal glory and happiness. My mum and her sisters tried to make me see things their own way which I did and it made perfect sense to me at that time. The only thing I wanted God to do for me as a Christian was to reveal himself more and more to me, protect me, my family and friends and try to give me the joy/happiness the bible talks about that is found in Jesus.

I know you know religion has two kinds of adherents: those who chose it because it reflected their true spiritual identity, because it spoke deeply to something hidden in them. And those who had religion thrust upon them; it was the family religion and they believed what everyone else believed. Most of us fall into the last category,and many are accepting of this and continue to be blind,indoctrinated mice to the end of their lives. At some point we should question what has been thrust upon us,reject it, and then seek our true spiritual identity and the religious philosophy within which it flourishes. It might turn out to be the religion of our parents after all, but this time we would know what we believe; it would be our choice. It might be another religion entirely. If one religion has failed you,does it mean ALL religion has failed?NO. If a segment of a religion has failed,has that religion failed?NO.

This depends on how you define religion. Religion is mostly a tradition, you can only asses every religion based on what it teaches and how its adherants practice that which it teaches. You can asses if Christianity to see if it is a failure by going through the bible which is what the religion is all about to know if it's teaching and assertions are true. The same to can be said of all religions. If you want to know if any religion is true all you need to do is examine the scripture it presents as the backbone of the religion and see if its assertions are true.

I was born Catholic and practiced that impressively solemn,futile horror of empty religious ritual until I couldn't stand it anymore and hated religion. It was easy to conclude that was the Christian experience, and abandon that religion. I did. But after a while I started searching again. Did Catholism fail me, that beautiful,utterly lifeless,ritualistic,pseudo-religious monster?YES!!! It has failed many and turned them from God,like it did me. It's very good at that.Did that mean Christ, and by extension Christianity has failed? Absolutely not. Religious institutions are human institutions, and sometimes when men fail we think it is God that's failed. Er, NO.

Are you trying to tell me that Catholics who are the greatest sect(in terms of number) in Christianity are not Christians? They believe in the bible don't they? They also believe in the trinity, heaven and hell, and most of the teachings of Jesus. The bible was put together by Catholic bishops so what are you saying? The Catholics have done much more to preseve Christianity more than any other sect of Christianity. They fought wars and killed so many to make sure that Christianty gained dominance. The fact that you do not agree with their teachings does not mean that they are not Christians are adhering to the teachings of the bible. They use the bible to defend their religious practices. The basic problems here is that Christianity like every other man made endervour has evolved but the Catholic church(like Islam) is still stuck in the past.

And yet Catholism has many indoctrinated devotees: I can't comment on the genuineness of their religious experience because I don't know it, I only know mine,which was empty,zero,nothingness. I do know that God is merciful and ignores many of the artificial human constructs,like 'denomination'', that separate us. In spite of the fact that I had different experiences with different segments of Christianity, Christianity is one. The divisions of which much is made, are mostly unimportant differences in biblical interpretation. In the essentials,all of Christianity is in agreement: Christ is the way, the truth and the life. All else is plain silliness.

Christianity is not one and it has never been. Even the bible is not one, there are different types of the bible with different translations and different messages. I will advice you to visit Syria, Ethopia, Israel, Marcedonia, Greece and see the very different type of Christianity they practice. I have been to Greece and i was SHOCKED when I saw the type of Christianty they practiced over there.(Greek Othordox Church). It was really an eye opener for me. There is no universally acceptable Christian doctorine and there never was, a little history about the faith will show you that. It has alway been conqure and destroy, Those who had the power pushed their own theology forward and destroy the theology of those who they had defeted. Either through war or through the strength of ideas.

And yet,and yet:dead emptiness while practicing Catholism,which is within Christianity, the emptiness going away when I departed from it. And aliveness and wholeness now, and within the same Christianity I was so eager to give up after being let down by a segment of it.

OK, nice to know that your new found faith gives you happiness.

Perhaps something similar happened when you were a Christian.

I was very comfortable with my sect of Christianty(I was a protestant), I left Christianty only after going through the bible which is the back bone of the faith itself and realizing that most of what it asserts or says is not true. For example most of the authors who we believe wrote the books of the bible were not the people that wrote them. Most of the stories were transfered from generation to generation through oral tradition until they were later written down by scribes and assinged names to them. A lot of actual history was changed to make the Jews look good that is why their accounts differ greatly from other historical accounts that we have. They Jews wrote down their own history from a very baised point of view. I left Christianity after going through the bible, knowing its history and how it came about amongst other things.

If the bible is truly the word of an all knowing God then all what it says must be true, it should not contain historical accounts that are inaccurate. It should not contain scienctific accounts that are inaccurate and all its assertions (like miracles) should be demonstrable for ALL to see, not for some hidden few like pastor adeboye who claim to have travelled for more than 300km on an empty tank, because when Jesus and the prophets in the bible were doing their miracles they did it for every body to see. Is that what we see in the world around us. NO. Last year I was in Nigeria and my Mum's younger sister had Ovarian Cyst. 2 days to her surgery we were all adviced to fast and pray for her. On the day of the surgery they spent about 30 mins praying for her as she was about to be operated upon inside the operating room before the doctors came and told us to go out and let them do their work. I looked at all the very sophisticated machines inside the surgery room and inside the hosiptal in general (national hospital in abuja) and said to myself, if any body in this world truly believes that there is a God that heals people when they pray to him for healing when they are sick non of those machines will ever be there. If there is ever a God that heals people when you pray to him my aunt(who is a born again Christian) will not go to the hospital to undergo that painful experince, she will sit at home and pray to Jesus to heal her. If there is ever a God that protects those he loves who pray to him for protection against harm she will not even be infected with ovarian cyst in the first place. Religious reality is very different from the reality we see happening around us.

Christianity(and all other religions) is good because it makes people happy and gives them hope and comfort. Personal religious experince are good as long as it is personal. What I do not like is when religious people go around disparaging others for not believing in what they believe to be the truth through FAITH. That which they can not even defend of provide any evidence for.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by MadMax1(f): 11:27am On May 31, 2009
Hmmmm.
The Bible contains inaccuracies because it has a history of its contents being meddled with, edited and in some cases, added to. There are some things in it that were added as late as the 9th century,  and apparently aren't in the original manuscripts. The originals are lost, and all there is are copies of copies of copies,each ''copier' meddling some with the manuscript, incorporating the group's opinion on doctrine and adding new material, and all these in addition to unintended editing and translation errors.But it appears these are slight. It's a collection of different manuscripts or books, and some Bibles contain material omitted from ther versions because the authorship or message is of dubious quality, for example, the Book of Judas, which was obviously intended to be passed off as the work of Judas Iscariot,since the ancient writer could have no way of knowing future generations would invent dating techniques. It was written four hundred years after the death of Christ, so the book is a fraud. Each denomination has a right, I think, to judge these things for themselves. If they want their Bible to contain 66 or 660 books, so be it. There's no law stipulating the number of books a Bible may contain. In early Christian times no such thing as a Bible existed. When Paul wrote that the 'word of God is a two-edged sword'', you'd be surprised at how many Christiáns take that to mean the Bible,even though a bible didnt exist when he was writing those words. I'm well aware the Ethiopian and Greek Orthodox bible has' more books than the standard bible. So? The problem comes from the Nigerian practice of insisting every single word in the Bible is divine and flawless. The Bible itself is not flawless.Human beings put it together, and there are mistakes in it. So? Its message is divine.

What did you find shocking about how Christianity is practiced in those countries, exactly? Correct me if I''m wrong, but isn't their message about the New Testament Christ?  That's what makes a Christian church, that's the essence of Christianity and what churches everywhere preach and are united under,irrespective of other theological differences.       

You're making me sigh here. Nowhere in my posts did I say Catholics aren't Christians. It's not up to me to determine which denominations are Christian and which aren't. My posts said the opposite; one segment of Christianity woefully failed me (Catholism), but Christianity itself did not. I'm talking about failing me as a spiritual being, you're talking about disagreeing with their teachings. I do disagree with some of their doctrines and with many of their practices, but that holds true for some other Christian sects as well, and is completely besides the point. Catholism failed me as it has failed many, and nothing can change that. Still I found my spiritual niche within the same Christianity in which one segment wholly failed. That is my point.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by PastorAIO: 12:59pm On May 31, 2009
ifele:

What do you understand by 'religion'? And what do you understand by 'God'? And how do you distinguish them so that you can need one and not the other?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 02, 2010
@ALL

Objectively speaking, if I don't have faith in the creator before I come to NL (especially the religious forum) I will certainly never belief in Him. How am I to explain that I was introduced by people full of HATE, INSULT, PREJUDICE, and TRIBALISM.

run through any discussion in NL (especially the religious forum) and this is all you will see what I mean. The guy(s) who  are telling you about how good Christianity/Islam is, are the same that ones that will be referring to you as Goat, devil, slowpoke, or that you will rot in hell,  and still he thinks that despite all the failing of religion to make him/her better,I will be encouraged to follow suit.

Think man. think

@Blackspade
have an open mind, be objective, seek all truth according to the faith communities (Islam, christianity, Judaism, ,,,,,,, & even atheism) filter through each against the factor you highlighted (e.g contradictions in their scripture, universality and timelessness of their messages,,,,,,,,, & your other criteria) and when you find the truth, follow your conviction openheatedly and embrace it you will recognise it (even though it may be against popular opinion, trend and world order)

P.S. I still keep an open mind to faith. always viewing every little question of faith through the prism of the abovementioned criteria.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by akered: 6:15pm On Jan 03, 2010
I have an interesting article I wrote about my journey to being an agnostic. It might help you along your journey. I tell you, it can be quite rough. but once you are rid of all the shackles of religion, life becomes so easy to live. I wish you well. One advice, always be honest with yourself.

MY IMAGINARY CITY
By Akered

Once upon a time, a long time ago, my world view was deeply religious. I was devoted to my religion and holy book. I felt well protected with the armour of God. My world appeared to be a city, meticulously constructed with beautiful engravings and huge halls. The walls were deep and strong, to keep us all safe from the corruption and sin of the outside world, and they were guarded by God to prevent Satan intruding. All in all, a very comfortable and safe place to live.

One day I wanted to just look up close at one of the engravings on a wall. It didn’t quite look right, and I just wanted to check that it wasn’t my eyesight. When I reached out to touch the engraving, to my horror my hand went right through. There was nothing but dust left of that engraving. I went to my preacher, as he would have to know about this. I showed him the hole, guiltily expecting him to berate me for it. Instead he acted as if he couldn’t see it. He commented upon how beautiful the engraving was, how neatly it fit in with the rest of the decorations, and how his father, and his father’s father had also admired this engraving.

As you can imagine this caught me a bit off guard, but I accepted that maybe it was me who was wrong. After all, he was expected to be much more intelligent that I was in matters like this, not to mention wiser. In a spirit of interest however, I went and had a look at some of the other sections of the city.
To my amazement I could knock down whole walls and rooms with hardly any effort. After a while I was pulling down the buildings just for the pleasure of being able to. Whenever I pulled down a structure I could see that people were still walking around in it as if nothing had happened. This confused me and scared me.

After a while I knocked down the outer wall, the one that protected me from all of the evil in the world. What I saw was a collection of similar cities and small towns. I went and had a look at a few of them, but I didn’t seem to be able to inhabit them, because again I could easily knock holes in the buildings, and find myself unwelcome.

Eventually from my standpoint all that I was left with was a huge flat plain. There was nothing left that could stand up to even the most simple investigation. Nothing was certain, everything crumbled. I could still see my family walking in the air as if their city was still there, but I could not talk to them because they were so far away.

The flat plain was definitely the most intimidating time for me. I could not talk to anybody. I had no shelter, no rules, no group. I spent many hours shouting for people to hear me in their imaginary cities, but to no avail. Perhaps this is what hell is like? No certainty, no authority, no faith, no deity. I tried everything.

Eventually I worked out that the only option available to me if I wanted somewhere to live was to build it myself. I started out with some building blocks that I knew couldn’t be knocked down. “Treat people the way you like to be treated”, “Learn before believing”, “Understand before judging”,
”Be honest with yourself”. These are plain and simple bricks, not the fancy marble
sculpturing that my old home had, but at least they are verifiably solid. They withstand the most rigorous scrutiny. The house is simple and I started to enjoy every day I spent in it.

My neighbours now look at me with a mixture of envy, fear and curiosity because I didn’t build my new house with any of the ‘usual materials’ that is commonplace in all the cities I visited. How could this house stand? Hmmm! How could it protect against all the dangers lurking in every corner, the principalities and powers, and rulers of darkness? No engravings or sculptures, just simple solid bricks, but they suffice for my home. I included a garden for contemplation, and I considered myself lucky to have such a large plain to build on. Now my house is how I want it, shape, size and décor. I few neighbours have come over to see how they could build a house like this. Some have started building, others are consumed with fear. I wish them well, in their journey to the real world.

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Ascony(m): 11:14pm On Jan 03, 2010
nice one akreed, i really love the parabolic style u used to convey your message. bravo

i love reading and hearing conversion stories (especially the xtian to atheism/agnosticism conversion).
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by mazaje(m): 11:39pm On Jan 03, 2010
akered:

I have an interesting article I wrote about my journey to being an agnostic. It might help you along your journey. I tell you, it can be quite rough. but once you are rid of all the shackles of religion, life becomes so easy to live. I wish you well. One advice, always be honest with yourself.

MY IMAGINARY CITY
By Akered

Once upon a time, a long time ago, my world view was deeply religious. I was devoted to my religion and holy book. I felt well protected with the armour of God. My world appeared to be a city, meticulously constructed with beautiful engravings and huge halls. The walls were deep and strong, to keep us all safe from the corruption and sin of the outside world, and they were guarded by God to prevent Satan intruding. All in all, a very comfortable and safe place to live.

One day I wanted to just look up close at one of the engravings on a wall. It didn’t quite look right, and I just wanted to check that it wasn’t my eyesight. When I reached out to touch the engraving, to my horror my hand went right through. There was nothing but dust left of that engraving. I went to my preacher, as he would have to know about this. I showed him the hole, guiltily expecting him to berate me for it. Instead he acted as if he couldn’t see it. He commented upon how beautiful the engraving was, how neatly it fit in with the rest of the decorations, and how his father, and his father’s father had also admired this engraving.

As you can imagine this caught me a bit off guard, but I accepted that maybe it was me who was wrong. After all, he was expected to be much more intelligent that I was in matters like this, not to mention wiser. In a spirit of interest however, I went and had a look at some of the other sections of the city.
To my amazement I could knock down whole walls and rooms with hardly any effort. After a while I was pulling down the buildings just for the pleasure of being able to. Whenever I pulled down a structure I could see that people were still walking around in it as if nothing had happened. This confused me and scared me.

After a while I knocked down the outer wall, the one that protected me from all of the evil in the world. What I saw was a collection of similar cities and small towns. I went and had a look at a few of them, but I didn’t seem to be able to inhabit them, because again I could easily knock holes in the buildings, and find myself unwelcome.

Eventually from my standpoint all that I was left with was a huge flat plain. There was nothing left that could stand up to even the most simple investigation. Nothing was certain, everything crumbled. I could still see my family walking in the air as if their city was still there, but I could not talk to them because they were so far away.

The flat plain was definitely the most intimidating time for me. I could not talk to anybody. I had no shelter, no rules, no group. I spent many hours shouting for people to hear me in their imaginary cities, but to no avail. Perhaps this is what hell is like? No certainty, no authority, no faith, no deity. I tried everything.

Eventually I worked out that the only option available to me if I wanted somewhere to live was to build it myself. I started out with some building blocks that I knew couldn’t be knocked down. “Treat people the way you like to be treated”, “Learn before believing”, “Understand before judging”,
”Be honest with yourself”. These are plain and simple bricks, not the fancy marble
sculpturing that my old home had, but at least they are verifiably solid. They withstand the most rigorous scrutiny. The house is simple and I started to enjoy every day I spent in it.

My neighbours now look at me with a mixture of envy, fear and curiosity because I didn’t build my new house with any of the ‘usual materials’ that is commonplace in all the cities I visited. How could this house stand? Hmmm! How could it protect against all the dangers lurking in every corner, the principalities and powers, and rulers of darkness? No engravings or sculptures, just simple solid bricks, but they suffice for my home. I included a garden for contemplation, and I considered myself lucky to have such a large plain to build on. Now my house is how I want it, shape, size and décor. I few neighbours have come over to see how they could build a house like this. Some have started building, others are consumed with fear. I wish them well, in their journey to the real world.

Brilliant. . . .
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by hasyak(m): 12:28pm On Jan 04, 2010
@ Akered well written, i believe you should development your writing skill can see a feature for in that area.
@ poster, have an open mind and study/read about all religion, even from the internet and make up your mind, make your decision base on your conviction. was once in your state of mind, decided to study 4 religion that i thot where in agreement with some of my believes. at the end of my reseach, Islam, is what i came out wit and i have been very happy with my decision. it all depend on what you want to find, i believe seek and you will find.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by mantraa: 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2010
Excellent analagy Akered. I agree that most religions ARE like imaginary cities where the occupants feel safe within their imaginary walls, and made to believe that all those outside the walls of their particular 'safe city' are destined to be burned in hellfire.

All you need do is think 'outside the box' and look at the big picture.
Why is it that religious people cannot do this? Is it fear? Fear that once outside, they cannot get back in? Fear of being ostracised by loved ones? Or just plain fear of the unknown and losing the comfort of religious certainty?

Being a non believer in any religion is not as scary as they might fear. When the religious door closes, you will find that many more doors open up leading to a greater knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the world around you, life, the universe and everything.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by manmustwac(m): 7:54pm On Jan 05, 2010
@mantraa
nice summary i didn't really understand akered's post well until u summarized it.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by Stogwu123: 10:24am On Aug 10, 2012
who is mention islam dat is founded by a sex machine/expert and sex abuser...Bukhari (62:6)
"The prophet used to go round
(have sexual relations with) all
his wives in one night, and he
had nine wives."Bukhari (5:268) "The prophet used to
visit all his wives in a round,
during the day and night and
they were
eleven in number." I asked
Anas, 'had the prophet the strength for it?' Anas replied,
'we used to say that the
prophet was given the
strength of thirty men. Here below ar futher proof dat islam is a false religion.....Differences Between Muhammad and Jesus Muhammad... Jesus... Said Allah hates those who don't accept Islam. (Qur'an 30:4, 3:32, 22:38) Said God loves everyone. (John 3:16) "I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah" (Muslim 1:33) "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword." (Matthew 26:52) Stoned women for adultery. (Muslim 4206) "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." (John 8:7) Permitted stealing from unbelievers. (Bukhari 44:668, Ibn Ishaq 764) "Thou shalt not steal." (Matthew 19:18) Permitted lying. (Sahih Muslim 6303, Bukhari 49:857) "Thou shalt not bear false witness." (Matthew 19:18) Owned and traded slaves. (Sahih Muslim 3901) Neither owned nor traded slaves. Beheaded 800 Jewish men and boys. (Sahih Muslim 4390) Beheaded no one. Murdered those who insulted him. (Bukhari 56:369, 4:241) Preached forgiveness. (Matthew 18:21-22, 5:38) "If then anyone transgresses the prohibition against you, Transgress ye likewise against him" (Qur'an 2:194) "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39) Jihad in the way of Allah elevates one's position in Paradise by a hundred fold. (Muslim 4645) "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God" (Matthew 5:9) Married 13 wives and kept sex slaves. (Bukhari 5:268, Qur'an 33:50) Was celibate. Slept with a 9-year-old child. (Sahih Muslim 3309, Bukhari 58:236) Did not have sex with children. Ordered the murder of women. (Ibn Ishaq 819, 995) Never harmed a woman. "O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness." (Qur'an 9:123) "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5) Ordered 65 military campaigns and raids in his last 10 years. (Ibn Ishaq ) Ordered no military campaigns, nor offered any approval of war or violence. Killed captives taken in battle. (Ibn Ishaq 451) Never took captives. Never killed anyone. Encouraged his men to rape enslaved women. (Abu Dawood 2150, Qur'an 4:24) Never encouraged rape. Never enslaved women. Demanded captured slaves and a fifth of all other loot taken in war. (Qur'an 8:41) "The Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve." (Matthew 20:28) Was never tortured, but tortured others. (Muslim 4131, Ibn Ishaq 436, 595, 734, 764) Suffered torture, but never tortured anyone. "And fight them until there is no more persecution and religion is only for Allah" (Qur'an 8:39) "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44) Blessed the brutal murder of a half-blind man (al-Tabari 1440) Healed a blind man (Mark 8:28) Ordered a slave to build the very pulpit from which he preached Islam. (Bukhari 47:743) Washed his disciples feet. (John 13:5) What are the Greatest Commandments? "Belief in Allah and Jihad in His cause" (Muslim 1:149) What are the Greatest Commandments? "Love God and love thy neighbor as thyself." (Matthew 22:34-40) Demanded the protection of armed bodyguards, even in a house of worship (Qur'an 4:102) Chastised anyone attempting to defend him with force. (John 18:10-12) Died fat and wealthy from what was taken from others in war or demanded from others in tribute. Demanded nothing for himself. Died without possessions. Advocated crucifying others. (Qur'an 5:33, Muslim 16:4131) Was crucified himself. According to his followers: Had others give their lives for him. (Sahih Muslim 4413) According to his followers: Gave his life for others. (John 18:11 and elsewhere) Differences Between Early Muslims and Early Christians Muhammad's Companions... Jesus' Disciples... Lived as warriors. Lived like harmless hippies. Slew and persecuted religious minorities. Were slain and persecuted as a religious minority. Emphasis on Jihad (the way of Muhammad) "He who fights that Allah's word should be superior fights in Allah's cause" (Bukhari 53:355) Emphasis on Evangelism (the way of Jesus) "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" (Matthew 15:16) Attacked and conquered the populations in parts of 28 modern countries in just the first three decades following Muhammad's death. Did not resort to violence of any sort, despite tremendous persecution. Declared holy war on the people of five major world religions in just the first 100 years following Muhammad's death. Went centuries without declaring 'holy war'. Plundered and lived off the wealth of others. Gave away their possessions to those in need. (Acts 2:44-45) Captured and enslaved non- Muslim people. Considered themselves to be slaves of others. Waged war to keep members from leaving the religion. Put apostates to death. No record of aggression toward apostates. Muhammad's own family members quickly fell into armed warfare against each other. Jesus' disciples never resorted to violence against one another (or anyone else). First 240 Years: 11 of the first 32 caliphs were murdered by fellow Muslims. First 240 Years: 14 of the first 25 popes were martyred by pagans (none by fellow Christians). Caliphs were polygamous and maintained harems of hundreds of captured sex slaves. Popes were expected to be celibate. Islamic mosques sustained by taxes forced from subjugated non-Muslims (the jizya). Christian churches sustained by voluntary tithes from Christians. Differences Between Islamic Teaching and Christianity The Qur'an The Bible External sources (the Hadith and Sira) necessary for translating the Qur'an Historical context contained within the text of the Bible Must know Arabic in order to "fully understand" the Qur'an (according to Muslim apologists) Universal. Can be translated into other languages without excessive commentary. Chronological progression of the Quran is from peace to violence. Chronological progression of the Bible is from violence to peace. The words 'torture' and 'punishment' appear six times more often than in the New Testament. The word 'love' appears five times more often in the New Testament than in the Qur'an, Contains not a single original moral value. The 'Sermon on the Mount' and others. Suffering is an excuse for violent revenge and establishment of Islam by force "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non- believers]...and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah." (Qur'an 2:191) Suffering builds character "We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope" (Romans 5:4) Emphasis on this World "And Allah has made you heirs to their land and their dwellings and their property" (Qur'an 33:27) Emphasis on the Next "Mine is not a kingdom of this world" (John 18:36, see also Luke 14:33) Kill, convert or subjugate Christians and Jews. (Qur'an 9:29) Share one's faith with gentleness and respect. (1 Peter 3:15) Martyrs as Killers "Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain" (Qur'an 9:111) Martyrs as Martyrs "As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter" (Romans 8:36) Killing Apostates "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them" (Qur'an 4:89, also Bukhari 52:260, 83:37...) Letting God Judge Apostates "For we know Him that has said, 'Vengeance belongs unto me, I will recompense,' says the Lord. And again, 'The Lord shall judge his people'" (Hebrews 10:25-30) Punishment "Let not compassion move you from carrying out God's law..." (Qur'an 24:2) Mercy "Love is patient. Love is kind... It keeps no record of wrongs" (1 Corinthians 13:4-5) Charity and Non-Believers Mercy toward fellow Muslims - ruthlessness toward unbelievers. Muslims are warned not to befriend those outside the faith. They must even ensure that their charity tithe (zakat) does not go toward the needy of other religions. (Qur'an 48:29, 3:28, Sharia) Charity and Non-Believers Christians are specifically told that even those who hate them are entitled to kindness and charity. They should be loved and cared for as surely as any fellow believer. (Mark 10:25-37) The Qur'an does not command husbands to love their wives, but it does give men permission to beat disobedient women. (Qur'an 4:34, Sahih Muslim 2127) "Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them." (No permission to beat women) (Colossians 3:19) Explicitly allows Muslim men to rape their female slaves, even those already married. (Qur'an 4:24, 70:29-30, 23:5-6...) Tells masters and slaves to serve each other as if serving God. (Ephesians 6:7-9) Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those who are with him are ruthless to the unbelievers" (Qur'an 48:29) "Do good to them that hate you" (Luke 6:27) Allah wills those that stray and are lost (Qur'an 16:93) God wants all people saved (1 Timothy 2:4) Warns Against Questioning Faith. (Qur'an 5:101-102) Welcomes Intellectual Challenge. (1 Peter 3:15) Violence as Virtue "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not." (Qur'an 2:216) Violence as Sin "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him... '" (Romans 12:19-20) Hell for unbelief. Good deeds count for naught (Qur'an 18:102-107) Hell for bad deeds and the failure to do what is right (Romans 2:6-8, Matthew 16:27, Matthew 25:41-45) Judging "Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them..." (Qur'an 9:73) Judge Not "For when you pass judgment on another person, you condemn yourself..." (Romans 2:1) Taking wealth from others "Allah promiseth you much booty that ye will capture..." (Qur'an 48:20) Working for and giving wealth to others "The thief must no longer steal but must work hard and do what is good with his own hands, so that he might have something to give to the needy." (Ephesians 4:28) Calls down Allah's curse on Christians and those of other religions. (Qur'an 9:30) Calls down God's blessing on those who curse Christians. (Matthew 5:44) Arrogance & Privilege "Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind" (Qur'an 3:110) Humility & Servitude "If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all." (Mark 9:35) "O you who believe! do not take My enemy and your enemy for friends: Would you offer them love while they deny what has come to you of the truth? (Qur'an 60:1) "Love your enemies..." (Luke 6:27)
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by kolaoloye(m): 11:14am On Aug 10, 2012
Stogwu123: who is mention islam dat is founded by a sex machine/expert and sex abuser...Bukhari (62:6)
"The prophet used to go round
(have sexual relations with) all
his wives in one night, and he
had nine wives."Bukhari (5:268) "The prophet used to
visit all his wives in a round,
during the day and night and
they were
eleven in number." I asked
Anas, 'had the prophet the strength for it?' Anas replied,
'we used to say that the
prophet was given the
strength of thirty men. Here below ar futher proof dat islam is a false religion.....Differences Between Muhammad and Jesus Muhammad... Jesus... Said Allah hates those who don't accept Islam. (Qur'an 30:4, 3:32, 22:38) Said God loves everyone. (John 3:16) "I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah" (Muslim 1:33) "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword." (Matthew 26:52) Stoned women for adultery. (Muslim 4206) "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." (John 8:7) Permitted stealing from unbelievers. (Bukhari 44:668, Ibn Ishaq 764) "Thou shalt not steal." (Matthew 19:18) Permitted lying. (Sahih Muslim 6303, Bukhari 49:857) "Thou shalt not bear false witness." (Matthew 19:18) Owned and traded slaves. (Sahih Muslim 3901) Neither owned nor traded slaves. Beheaded 800 Jewish men and boys. (Sahih Muslim 4390) Beheaded no one. Murdered those who insulted him. (Bukhari 56:369, 4:241) Preached forgiveness. (Matthew 18:21-22, 5:38) "If then anyone transgresses the prohibition against you, Transgress ye likewise against him" (Qur'an 2:194) "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39) Jihad in the way of Allah elevates one's position in Paradise by a hundred fold. (Muslim 4645) "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God" (Matthew 5:9) Married 13 wives and kept sex slaves. (Bukhari 5:268, Qur'an 33:50) Was celibate. Slept with a 9-year-old child. (Sahih Muslim 3309, Bukhari 58:236) Did not have sex with children. Ordered the murder of women. (Ibn Ishaq 819, 995) Never harmed a woman. "O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness." (Qur'an 9:123) "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5) Ordered 65 military campaigns and raids in his last 10 years. (Ibn Ishaq ) Ordered no military campaigns, nor offered any approval of war or violence. Killed captives taken in battle. (Ibn Ishaq 451) Never took captives. Never killed anyone. Encouraged his men to rape enslaved women. (Abu Dawood 2150, Qur'an 4:24) Never encouraged rape. Never enslaved women. Demanded captured slaves and a fifth of all other loot taken in war. (Qur'an 8:41) "The Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve." (Matthew 20:28) Was never tortured, but tortured others. (Muslim 4131, Ibn Ishaq 436, 595, 734, 764) Suffered torture, but never tortured anyone. "And fight them until there is no more persecution and religion is only for Allah" (Qur'an 8:39) "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44) Blessed the brutal murder of a half-blind man (al-Tabari 1440) Healed a blind man (Mark 8:28) Ordered a slave to build the very pulpit from which he preached Islam. (Bukhari 47:743) Washed his disciples feet. (John 13:5) What are the Greatest Commandments? "Belief in Allah and Jihad in His cause" (Muslim 1:149) What are the Greatest Commandments? "Love God and love thy neighbor as thyself." (Matthew 22:34-40) Demanded the protection of armed bodyguards, even in a house of worship (Qur'an 4:102) Chastised anyone attempting to defend him with force. (John 18:10-12) Died fat and wealthy from what was taken from others in war or demanded from others in tribute. Demanded nothing for himself. Died without possessions. Advocated crucifying others. (Qur'an 5:33, Muslim 16:4131) Was crucified himself. According to his followers: Had others give their lives for him. (Sahih Muslim 4413) According to his followers: Gave his life for others. (John 18:11 and elsewhere) Differences Between Early Muslims and Early Christians Muhammad's Companions... Jesus' Disciples... Lived as warriors. Lived like harmless hippies. Slew and persecuted religious minorities. Were slain and persecuted as a religious minority. Emphasis on Jihad (the way of Muhammad) "He who fights that Allah's word should be superior fights in Allah's cause" (Bukhari 53:355) Emphasis on Evangelism (the way of Jesus) "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" (Matthew 15:16) Attacked and conquered the populations in parts of 28 modern countries in just the first three decades following Muhammad's death. Did not resort to violence of any sort, despite tremendous persecution. Declared holy war on the people of five major world religions in just the first 100 years following Muhammad's death. Went centuries without declaring 'holy war'. Plundered and lived off the wealth of others. Gave away their possessions to those in need. (Acts 2:44-45) Captured and enslaved non- Muslim people. Considered themselves to be slaves of others. Waged war to keep members from leaving the religion. Put apostates to death. No record of aggression toward apostates. Muhammad's own family members quickly fell into armed warfare against each other. Jesus' disciples never resorted to violence against one another (or anyone else). First 240 Years: 11 of the first 32 caliphs were murdered by fellow Muslims. First 240 Years: 14 of the first 25 popes were martyred by pagans (none by fellow Christians). Caliphs were polygamous and maintained harems of hundreds of captured sex slaves. Popes were expected to be celibate. Islamic mosques sustained by taxes forced from subjugated non-Muslims (the jizya). Christian churches sustained by voluntary tithes from Christians. Differences Between Islamic Teaching and Christianity The Qur'an The Bible External sources (the Hadith and Sira) necessary for translating the Qur'an Historical context contained within the text of the Bible Must know Arabic in order to "fully understand" the Qur'an (according to Muslim apologists) Universal. Can be translated into other languages without excessive commentary. Chronological progression of the Quran is from peace to violence. Chronological progression of the Bible is from violence to peace. The words 'torture' and 'punishment' appear six times more often than in the New Testament. The word 'love' appears five times more often in the New Testament than in the Qur'an, Contains not a single original moral value. The 'Sermon on the Mount' and others. Suffering is an excuse for violent revenge and establishment of Islam by force "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non- believers]...and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah." (Qur'an 2:191) Suffering builds character "We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope" (Romans 5:4) Emphasis on this World "And Allah has made you heirs to their land and their dwellings and their property" (Qur'an 33:27) Emphasis on the Next "Mine is not a kingdom of this world" (John 18:36, see also Luke 14:33) Kill, convert or subjugate Christians and Jews. (Qur'an 9:29) Share one's faith with gentleness and respect. (1 Peter 3:15) Martyrs as Killers "Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain" (Qur'an 9:111) Martyrs as Martyrs "As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter" (Romans 8:36) Killing Apostates "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them" (Qur'an 4:89, also Bukhari 52:260, 83:37...) Letting God Judge Apostates "For we know Him that has said, 'Vengeance belongs unto me, I will recompense,' says the Lord. And again, 'The Lord shall judge his people'" (Hebrews 10:25-30) Punishment "Let not compassion move you from carrying out God's law..." (Qur'an 24:2) Mercy "Love is patient. Love is kind... It keeps no record of wrongs" (1 Corinthians 13:4-5) Charity and Non-Believers Mercy toward fellow Muslims - ruthlessness toward unbelievers. Muslims are warned not to befriend those outside the faith. They must even ensure that their charity tithe (zakat) does not go toward the needy of other religions. (Qur'an 48:29, 3:28, Sharia) Charity and Non-Believers Christians are specifically told that even those who hate them are entitled to kindness and charity. They should be loved and cared for as surely as any fellow believer. (Mark 10:25-37) The Qur'an does not command husbands to love their wives, but it does give men permission to beat disobedient women. (Qur'an 4:34, Sahih Muslim 2127) "Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them." (No permission to beat women) (Colossians 3:19) Explicitly allows Muslim men to rape their female slaves, even those already married. (Qur'an 4:24, 70:29-30, 23:5-6...) Tells masters and slaves to serve each other as if serving God. (Ephesians 6:7-9) Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those who are with him are ruthless to the unbelievers" (Qur'an 48:29) "Do good to them that hate you" (Luke 6:27) Allah wills those that stray and are lost (Qur'an 16:93) God wants all people saved (1 Timothy 2:4) Warns Against Questioning Faith. (Qur'an 5:101-102) Welcomes Intellectual Challenge. (1 Peter 3:15) Violence as Virtue "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not." (Qur'an 2:216) Violence as Sin "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him... '" (Romans 12:19-20) Hell for unbelief. Good deeds count for naught (Qur'an 18:102-107) Hell for bad deeds and the failure to do what is right (Romans 2:6-8, Matthew 16:27, Matthew 25:41-45) Judging "Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them..." (Qur'an 9:73) Judge Not "For when you pass judgment on another person, you condemn yourself..." (Romans 2:1) Taking wealth from others "Allah promiseth you much booty that ye will capture..." (Qur'an 48:20) Working for and giving wealth to others "The thief must no longer steal but must work hard and do what is good with his own hands, so that he might have something to give to the needy." (Ephesians 4:28) Calls down Allah's curse on Christians and those of other religions. (Qur'an 9:30) Calls down God's blessing on those who curse Christians. (Matthew 5:44) Arrogance & Privilege "Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind" (Qur'an 3:110) Humility & Servitude "If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all." (Mark 9:35) "O you who believe! do not take My enemy and your enemy for friends: Would you offer them love while they deny what has come to you of the truth? (Qur'an 60:1) "Love your enemies..." (Luke 6:27)

What are you insinuating?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by KiKatanga: 11:57pm On Aug 10, 2012
blackspade: My whole family believes in god and I do too, but recently (as in the last few months) I've been questioning myself with things such as: does god exist? what if religion is just one of the worlds longest running fairytales? why are there so many contradictions in the bible? am I wasting my time worshipping something I can't see? is christianity just a mechanism used by europeans to spread their idealogy and culture?

I want to believe in god, and recognize some of the things in life that we can't explain, and can only be explained by god, but sometimes I just don't know. I've been feeling a little depressed lately, so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know. What the hell is wrong with me? Am I just going through a phase?
My recommendation is to read the bible.
To read comments and opinions of Christians.

Ask yourself: if god is so perfect, how can there be so much suffering for people who've done nothing to deserve it -- especially those who follow him?
Ask yourself: if Christians follow Christ, a man who forgave all ills, why are they so intolerant of people?

Even if you want to believe in God or not, ask yourself if a God that created all of creation would care if you believed or not - or if God would simply want the best for you.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by TarryFour: 12:38am On May 11, 2013
Seek the truth and the truth shall set you free - if you so allow it!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SScUw9L0TZc
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by kambo(m): 1:13pm On May 11, 2013
SeanT21: @black

"Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

Thomas said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20.27-29"

Jesus never rebuked anyone for doubting,only for refusing to consider the evidence" Doubting is not a sin. Deep Down I don't blame U for doubting.After all you did not see God walk on the water and you did not see him raise the dead,etc.

Read and Study THE BIBLE is the only answer to your problem!!

Ask God to sustain your faith

dont misinterprete scriptures. Doubting is unbelief and it angers God. Never ever quip this nonsense again.
The children of isreal cudnt enter d promise land because of their "unbelief". The Bible calls unbelief "evil".
Jesus wasnt physically present wen Thomas doubted but on appearg he Rebuked thomas for doubtg the testimony of his resurrection Without any physical evidence. Wats dat drivel about "refusg to doubt the evidence"?
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Faith In God by ooman(m): 1:27pm On May 11, 2013
kambo:

dont misinterprete scriptures. Doubting is unbelief and it angers God. Never ever quip this nonsense again.
The children of isreal cudnt enter d promise land because of their "unbelief". The Bible calls unbelief "evil".
Jesus wasnt physically present wen Thomas doubted but on appearg he Rebuked thomas for doubtg the testimony of his resurrection Without any physical evidence. Wats dat drivel about "refusg to doubt the evidence"?

simply dumb

btw, you broke rule 21!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who And Where Is ESAU/EDOM Today? / Is It Proper To Label Pastors As Crooks? / Prophet Uebert Angel Finally Meets Rev Dr. Chris Oyakhilome. [VIDEO, PICTURES]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 275
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.