Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,825 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation (3848 Views)

Arms Deals: EFCC Seizes Ex-chief Of Army Staff’s N4B Estate / $15bn Arms Deals: Panel Traces N2bn To Five Children Of Ex-army Chief / $2.1bn Arms Deals: N1.5bn Traced To Ex-minister’s Son-the Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by HungerBAD: 5:43am On Nov 22, 2015
-Ex-president returns home, loyalists regroup to defend tenure

-Dasuki writes EFCC, asks for more time

More questions may be awaiting former President Goodluck Jonathan on arms deals during his tenure after his weekend denial in Washington DC that he never incurred a bill of $2 billion on arms procurement.This includes the whereabouts of the over $1billion loan approved for him by the 7th National Assembly for arms purchase to fight the Boko Haram insurgency.

It was unclear last night whether the loan was accessed by the administration before the expiration of its tenure on May 29.

His loyalists claimed yesterday that the money was not made available before he left office.

There were suggestions that the Special Investigative Panel on arms procurement may be asked to establish the truth about the loan.

More military officers, ex-ministers and arms contractors may be invited for clarifications, it was gathered.

Jonathan returned to Abuja from the USA on Friday with his ex-members said to be regrouping to defend arms deals during his presidency and other allegations against the administration.

Jonathan had on July 16, 2014, written to the 7th National Assembly for the approval of a $1 billion loan for the fight against Boko Haram.

The ex- President said he needed the cash to upgrade military equipment and for training as well as logistics for the Armed Forces.

Jonathan made the request in a letter entitled: “Tackling ongoing security challenges: The need for urgent action.”

On September 25, 2014, the Senate approved the loan following the submission of the report of the Senate Joint Committee on Finance and that of Local and Foreign Debt by the Chairman, Senator Ahmed Makarfi.

A reliable source, who spoke in confidence, said: “In spite of the submission of Interim Report, the ongoing probe of the arms deal is continuing. One of the areas being looked into is what became of the $1billion loan approved for Jonathan by the 7th Senate.

“Actually, the loan was approved going by the records made available to the probe panel. So, if the panel is talking of $2billion, it must have been based on records in its care.

“This development may lead to the invitation of some ex-ministers to clarify the status of the loan and whether or not it was diverted to other use.”

But a former Minister said: “Initially, the vote was about $900m but the leadership of the 7th Senate advised the Executive to ask for $1billion to accommodate unexpected financial challenges in fighting Boko Haram.

“The Ministry of Finance ought to write letters to those advancing the loan and those companies supplying the arms on how the government will remit the funds.

“We however did not get the $1billion loan because the former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, did not sign necessary papers as a result of the inability of her office to receive the required votes and proceedings from the National Assembly.”

Ex-President Jonathan returned to Abuja on Friday with his erstwhile cabinet members regrouping on how to defend their tenure.

A highly-placed source said: “We have resolved to respond to any issue raised by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari on facts and figures.

“Ex-President Jonathan has started it in the US, we will no longer keep quiet because the stigmatization is increasingly becoming unbearable.

“We will not confront Buhari government but we will be replying on points of records.”

Embattled former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, was said to have written to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for more time to appear for grilling over the arms deals.

The letter was submitted to EFCC on Friday by Dasuki’s counsel.

A source in EFCC said: “We have received Dasuki’s letter, we will get back to him accordingly.

“If after Monday, he continues to evade appearance before this commission, we will have no choice than to obtain a warrant of arrest from a court to pick him.

“We have tried our best to be civil and handle the case in line with international best practices.”

Seun,Lalasticlala

http://thenationonlineng.net/arms-deals-fresh-controversy-over-1b-loan-approved-for-jonathan/

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by madridguy(m): 5:45am On Nov 22, 2015
The blood of the innocent souls will surely hunt down Dasuki and his partners in crime against humanity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by benedictnsi(m): 5:49am On Nov 22, 2015
Nawah oooooooo

D kind money weh our government don mismanage for this country eeeh....... If you carry half of it go give SWAZILAND, dem go develop more than SWITZERLAND tongue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by prospero5(m): 5:49am On Nov 22, 2015
it's coc.k and bull. so, after the raggae play the......
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by KRILMIJAY(m): 5:49am On Nov 22, 2015
Enough of all these arms deal this , arms deal that. Someone needs to focus ooo. d year z running out & yet someone hasnt achieved anything, yet someone keeps dwelling in the past.

3 Likes

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Nobody: 5:56am On Nov 22, 2015
weda Apc likes it or not christ is the KING!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by benedictnsi(m): 6:01am On Nov 22, 2015
londongal03:

Lol....... Lwkm.... grin of you give dem chance now eeh, this our one chance government go deny christ as the King ooo

But, dey fitint

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by PassingShot(m): 6:01am On Nov 22, 2015
KRILMIJAY:
Enough of all these arms deal this , arms deal that. Someone needs to focus ooo. d year z running out & yet someone hasnt achieved anything, yet someone keeps dwelling in the past.
STFU! It is this type of attitude that brought us where we are. Would you rather the new administration ignores all the massive and senseless looting that caused the death of many innocent souls and then engage in its own round of looting spree and plunge the country further?

It's people like you that make the country to keep going back to the old generation for solution to our problems. The future better not belong to the Nigerian kind of youth found on this forum. It's a wasted generation!

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by KRILMIJAY(m): 6:04am On Nov 22, 2015
[quote author=PassingShot post=40276891]
STFU! It is this type of attitude that brought us where we are. Would you rather the new administration ignores all the massive and senseless looting that caused the death of many innocent souls and then engage in its own round of looting spree and plunge the country further?

It's people like you that make the country to keep going back to the old generation for solution to our problems. The future better not belong to the Nigerian kind of youth found on this fo

Ryt now, I dont have ur tym when I do I'll reply u.

dz z a sunday morning & I hv to keep it Holy. tnx
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 22, 2015
KRILMIJAY:
when your life savings gets stolen, tell the police not to bother investigating cos you want them to focus on traffic control.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by KRILMIJAY(m): 6:08am On Nov 22, 2015
juicee1:
when your life savings gets stolen, tell the police not to bother investigating cos you want them to focus on traffic control.

My broda stop acting as a foreigner, we all know nothing gud will come out of it all they'll keep making headlines till d matter dies.
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Pavore9: 6:12am On Nov 22, 2015
Bring it on, Nigerians will be very interested in the facts and figures, educated enough to intelligently sieve through them and reach the solid conclusion on who is lying.
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by ionsman: 6:13am On Nov 22, 2015
KRILMIJAY:

This I don't care attitude is a scourge we must get rid of. Am sure you were among those calling for the president's head regarding the TSA matter that wasn't well clarified.

But since this has to do with Gej's government, you feel it should be swept under the carpet. You see yourself? Objectivity has long left you guys. Childish opposition.

Happy Sunday.

londongal03:

Now take a deep breath. Ask yourself, does this your comment make any meaning? SMH

12 Likes

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by idu1(m): 6:16am On Nov 22, 2015
Today is my bornday!!!

Make una show me love with LIKES....

I dedicate today to PMB/APC for their successful remover of the largest killer party in Africa PDP from leading nigerians to total destruction......

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by DaBullIT(m): 6:22am On Nov 22, 2015
Someone Riddle me this

Is GEJ coming home with his team of lawyers ?

or his ex co looters ?

The more the merrier

1 Like

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by princemillla(m): 6:29am On Nov 22, 2015
Nigeria had her golden chance to fast development under Jonathan but what happen? He blew it away, now hiding under the cluelesness guise.
Come to think of it, he might not be as clueless as many people think. May be he knows better.

One thing I know about pdp is, if you can join them, then you can exit.

5 Likes

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by sammyj: 6:37am On Nov 22, 2015
We said it but some wailers refused to listing but continued to wail.
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by RockMaxi: 6:52am On Nov 22, 2015
KRILMIJAY:

Ryt now, I dont have ur tym when I do I'll reply u.
dz z a sunday morning & I hv to keep it Holy. tnx

Na wha o, just like that you remember keeping holy yet you threw faeces into the open to pollute the air of reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by arsetalks(m): 6:53am On Nov 22, 2015
It is a shame people want this issued ignored and forgotten when mismanagement is exactly why we are here in the first place.

The deadly my tribe aka my brother syndrome has ensured objectivity leave the heads of some people.

If GEJ did no wrong like his supporters would want us to believe, he should be probed and he will be vindicated but to ask that he be left alone is a sin against our generation.

1 Like

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by ademega(m): 6:54am On Nov 22, 2015
end time wailers will definitely say something funny. lolzz

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by menix(m): 6:57am On Nov 22, 2015
If they have not been able to establish that the loan was released why make it news

The way APC is going about, pointing fingers without doing their homework bafffles even Tafawa Balewa as he has changed position on the 5naira bills....
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by PRYCE(m): 7:08am On Nov 22, 2015
Hushhh! Tinubu's Talking!
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 22, 2015
Politicizing of the bokoharam issue.
Anybody found wanting should be made the face the music.

1 Like

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 22, 2015
menix:
If they have not been able to establish that the loan was released why make it news

The way APC re going about pointing fingers without doing their homework bafffles even Tafawa Balewa as he has changed position in the 5naira bills....

grin
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Ikegift4real(m): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2015
let's start calling to question what Buhari wants to do with his own yet to be borrowed trillions. lets be pro active. as for dasuki fg should do as usual cuz dats how the drama ends.
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by KRILMIJAY(m): 7:36am On Nov 22, 2015
ionsman:

This I don't care attitude is a scourge we must get rid of. Am sure you were among those calling for the president's head regarding the TSA matter that wasn't well clarified.

But since this has to do with Gej's government, you feel it should be swept under the carpet. You see yourself? Objectivity has long left you guys. Childish opposition.

Happy Sunday.

Now take a deep breath. Ask yourself, does this your comment make any meaning? SMH

Mr. Man I dont know u & u dont know me. stop quoting me & stop basing ur arguments on assumptions. tnx
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Elslim: 7:39am On Nov 22, 2015
End time Dasuki
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by bewla(m): 7:40am On Nov 22, 2015
thinking what my contribution will be like
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by Pavarottii(m): 7:46am On Nov 22, 2015
PassingShot:

It's people like you that make the country to keep going back to the old generation for solution to our problems. The future better not belong to the Nigerian kind of youth found on this forum. It's a wasted generation!
STFU! Wen u go on probing the past administration without doing anything in ur administration. Are we not still going backward. The last time I checked, everyone is ready to be probed if invited. So wat is all the fume for as if, the people are hiding. Take them to court and let them defend demselves and u go ahead with working and developing the country while the institutions for corrupt practices do their job. But since ur kunu drinking dullard came on board. Tell me one thing he has done apart from chasing a wild goose. Since the probe started. Who av they indicted, how much av they recovered and who did they recover it from? Kwarraption fight my ass. Nigeria has earned over 2trillion since he came on board, rather he has borrowed more than 2b dollars since he came on board, no projects continued or started. Yet he can't even pay ordinary salary. So who is the real THIEF here. God will repay u and ur president in 10folds.
Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by PassingShot(m): 7:48am On Nov 22, 2015
[s]
Pavarottii:

STFU! Wen u go on probing the past administration without doing anything in ur administration. Are we not still going backward. The last time I checked, everyone is ready to be probed if invited. So wat is all the fume for as if, the people are hiding. Take them to court and let them defend demselves and u go ahead with working and developing the country while the institutions for corrupt practices do their job. But since ur kunu drinking dullard came on board. Tell me one thing he has done apart from chasing a wild goose. Since the probe started. Who av they indicted, how much av they recovered and who did they recover it from? Kwarraption fight my ass. Nigeria has earned over 2trillion since he came on board, rather he has borrowed more than 2b dollars since he came on board, no projects continued or started. Yet he can't even pay ordinary salary. So who is the real THIEF here. God will repay u and ur president in 10folds.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by wirinet(m): 7:51am On Nov 22, 2015
KRILMIJAY:

Are you incapable of reasoning? You want Buhari to accept responsibility for loans he is not sure the federal government obtained in the first place.

You want Buhari to not dwell in the past, and buy military equipment that had been budgeted for, multiple times. A sane government cannot move forward until an inventory of all military hardware and indeed all federal governments asserts are reconciled.

Now if you want to be useful, answer the question, was the $1billion loan approved by the national assembly collected? And if yes, what was done with it with records of purchases and physical evidence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arms Deals: Fresh Controversy Over $1b Loan Approved For Jonathan-The Nation by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:54am On Nov 22, 2015
We are all wsaiting for outcome of the investigation

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of Victims Of Political Thuggery In Nembe,bayelsa State. / Invasion Of Kanu Home It Doesnt Speak Well Of Unity Of Nigeria–South East Govs / Olawepo, Agbakoba, Others Promise New Nigeria As Peoples Trust Starts Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.