Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,435 members, 7,954,731 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:08 AM

Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) (67111 Views)

Nigerian Awake Someone Somewhere Is Monitoring Your Calls. Photo Proof / Why You Should Use Only The Left Ear To Answer Phone Calls / We Always Say HELLO When Answering Phone Why? See Reason. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by lovely17(m): 8:02pm On Nov 23, 2015
hooged:
No. This is a popular hoax on internet.

Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876.

Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you."

The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison.

In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh:
Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away.
What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00.
was about posting this thanks for Saving me the stress
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 23, 2015
I believe the answer above is not true. Bell's girlfriend in 1873 is Mabel Hubbard which he married in 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876 and Mabel Hubbard is deaf. His father-in-law is one of the two financial backers for his invention.
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 23, 2015
Oga, Op this is huge internet hoax, Thomas Edison coined the word hello, and for the records Bell never married or had a gf with such a name - margerath hello, don't just copy and paste stuff without doing some ground work...
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Sacramento4real(m): 8:54pm On Nov 23, 2015
Segadem:
It means hell No grin

Chinese don't say hello, it's only some countries who follow British blindly that dhey do copy copy.
whatever it is they(Chinese) say,when translated to English,still means Hello.I watch most Korean films,and its always Subtitled.When they answer their calls,what they usually say still means Hello in English.
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by abeniagbon(m): 9:05pm On Nov 23, 2015
To you all
HELLO means Goodmorning
HALLO means good afternoon
HULLO means good evening
So when picking a call @ those hour of the day you used those words.

All those story that Ops and the other guy was saying na fake
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by makizee(m): 9:11pm On Nov 23, 2015
hooged:

Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876.

Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you."

The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison.

+ if her name was Margaret Hello, then it was only natural that what he would have said was Magaret or Maggy, If Bella Adenuga was my Girlfriend (i wished ... cheesy ) , my first words through the phone to her would have naturally being Bella and not Adenuga

Didn't believe it for a second, Another Lesson to these young Folks out there, not everything is true just because you read it on the Internet
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Femich18(m): 9:13pm On Nov 23, 2015
Nice 1
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by HighIQ(m): 9:14pm On Nov 23, 2015
seun lalasticlala stop misleading people check the real origin of hello https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Alex1575(m): 9:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
Hello kor......adele nii
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by frisky2good(m): 9:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
OP you can lie o!

allanphash7:
Pix

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Oruemu(f): 9:31pm On Nov 23, 2015
EVILFOREST:
Yet ladies go say men ne dey try
Naija men no dey try
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by yoddy(m): 9:55pm On Nov 23, 2015
allanphash7:
Pix

Can't you just try doing a bit of research before hurrying to make a post?
https://www.nairaland.com/2593014/origin-hello-shock#37916098

Lalasticlala dis post is misleading... do d needful
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by RexioKlasik(m): 10:05pm On Nov 23, 2015
Pipu can lai!

Me sha don't use hello...
For pals; da ikpa awfa, awfa u na, hey wossop

For strangers; Ehn..Na hu b dis
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by RexioKlasik(m): 10:06pm On Nov 23, 2015
Pipu can lai!

Me sha don't use hello...
For pals; da ikpa awfa, awfa u na, hey wossop

For strangers; Ehn..Na hu b dis
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by sisisioge: 10:08pm On Nov 23, 2015
Love isn't fashion...the look remains the same.
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by sisisioge: 10:12pm On Nov 23, 2015
makizee:

+ if her name was Margaret Hello, then it was only natural that what he would have said was Magaret or Maggy, If Bella Adenuga was my Girlfriend (i wished ... cheesy ) , my first words through the phone to her would have naturally being Bella and not Adenuga

Didn't believe it for a second, Another Lesson to these young Folks out there, not everything is true just because you read it on the Internet

Oga, the story pleases my romantic mind and so I believe it. Life is as complicated as we make it.Hello...
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by oliidell(m): 10:22pm On Nov 23, 2015
hooged:

In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh:
Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away.
What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00.
God bless you real good. This is a very popular internet hoax. I cant believe this site lately. Someone uploads some s**t & BAM it's on the front Page..no verification, no editing. The FP used to have some measure of credibility. Some oldtimers have complained severally but seun does not seem to be listening.
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by ruggedtimi(m): 10:23pm On Nov 23, 2015
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, hello is an alteration of hallo, hollo,[4] which came from Old High German "halâ, holâ, emphatic imperative of halôn, holôn to fetch, used especially in hailing a ferryman."[5] It also connects the development of hello to the influence of an earlier form, holla, whose origin is in the French holà (roughly, 'whoa there!', from French là 'there').[6] As in addition to hello, halloo,[7] hallo, hollo, hullo and (rarely) hillo also exist as variants or related words, the word can be spelt using any of all five vowels.[
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by MIMOSAXY(m): 10:28pm On Nov 23, 2015
No. This is a popular hoax on internet. Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876. Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you." The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison. In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh : Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away. What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00. Here are some interesting sources you may refer.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/0...
https://answers.yahoo.com/questi...

1 Like

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by MIMOSAXY(m): 10:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
No. This is a popular hoax on internet. Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876. Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you." The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison. In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh : Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away. What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00. Here are some interesting sources you may refer.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/0...
https://answers.yahoo.com/questi...
https://www.quora.com/Was-Hello-the-name-of-Alexander-Graham-Bells-wife
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by xtervaganza(m): 10:30pm On Nov 23, 2015
Fake post.

Hello and hullo has been around for so long

If people believing this nonsense have read books from let's say Shakespeare they wouldn't be this gullible
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by stanleyazo(m): 10:42pm On Nov 23, 2015
Alright!
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by MrGoc(m): 10:42pm On Nov 23, 2015
Hmmmm. . Just snooping
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by luqmanayomide: 10:45pm On Nov 23, 2015
Nice one
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by viktor01(m): 10:51pm On Nov 23, 2015
End time lies that will deceive many. must you always lie and hang it on love?
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
I don't answer mine like a biafran. I pick up the phone and say, 'who you?'
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by daveyjay(m): 11:59pm On Nov 23, 2015
grin source
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by firetrap(m): 12:11am On Nov 24, 2015
People will believe anything. A little research will tell you that this is incorrect
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by GoldenJulius(m): 12:14am On Nov 24, 2015
allanphash7:
Pix

na for wer u see dis one oo.....u fit dig story so tey dead body go rise.......u try sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

More Options For Nigerians As Matrix Set To Launch Pre-owned Devices (photos) / Nokia C1 Unboxing and Review - N18,500 budget smartphone Review (Photos) / 9 Incredible Useful Things I Didn’t Know Chrome Could Do.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.