Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering (38329 Views)

Tonnes Of Mechanical Engineering Ebooks / Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate / Architecture Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ifenes(m): 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
It is slavery when going to university is only for getting a job.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
lonelydora:
Is your father's name Emmanuel? He asked me the same question in the offce.
no,guess it a co incidence
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by missKiffy(f): 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
I will go for Mechanical engineering
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
ifenes:
It is slavery when going to university is only for getting a job.
i dont understand o.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
****************TOP 10****************
1. Mechanical Engineering
2. Mechanical Engineering
3. Mechanical Engineering
4. Mechanical Engineering
5. Mechanical Engineering
6. Mechanical Engineering
7. Mechanical Engineering
8. Mechanical Engineering
9. Mechanical Engineering
10. Mathematics and/or Statistics

3 Likes

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
missKiffy:
I will go for Mechanical engineering
why.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
destino24:
Bros, goto to the jobs/vacancies section right now and check. Forget the discipline, Engineering is just too broad and employers of labour know it. You're more likely to get a job with Engineering.

Entrepreneurship wise, Engineering still takes the lead.

Forget that thing wey durentt dey talk grin

But on a serious note, if you can move over to Eng, please do
so engineering graduate hav more job prospects than statisticians too? Pls stop deceiving d innocent OP
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by BigBen10: 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
stop displaying ur ignorance on a social media lik dis. I bliv am not supposed to answer dis. Use ur leisure time nd read it up yourself

Mr informed I expect you to answerthe damn question.

I have done my research. I still don't find mathematics has more prospects.

see u might be successful oh. but when asked to give advice to upcoming ones. u must be truthful and give them the option with the most chance of success. even as much as you love ur mathematics and want people to join you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
ademoladeji:
why.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by MedicalSamwise(m): 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
Brotherly advice...go for engineering...we are in 9jeria whr maths is almost irrelevant

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Engrpj(m): 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
GeniusDavid:
With do respect this is an insult to Mech. Engineering. Should this even be an argument?

Abeg help me ask the Jobless people... how on earth can you compare Mechanical Engineering, Mother of Engineering to Mathematics

#Smh# End time Comparison

4 Likes

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
ademoladeji:

oga i suppose dis is top 10 in ur village right?
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by idros4real: 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
Yungstev007:
Sincerely, I will advice u to choose Mathematics, u can later settle for engineering if u want to further ur education. Math gives a wide range of options to specialize in.
Mathematics settle for engineering are you high on weed, may be you want to say the other way round. Mechanical can only settle for mathematics not the other way round. I don't know much about works related to mathematics but OP I can list some fields of mechanical which u can choose the work u will go for. 1. Automobile 2. Foundry 3. Mechatronics 4. Materials and Metallurgy 5. Machine Design 6. Thermodynamics 7. Workshop Practice 8. Production etc

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by hedgesfun(m): 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
I am an engineer and I worked and still works in engineering field, I have friends that study mathematics and statistics though and I could use that to judge what is happening now.
As an engineering graduate, you sure will get a job almost instantly after graduation even before your service, it may not be the kind of high paying job you seek but one thing that is assured is you won't stay at home except you chose to and wait for the big fish, and in terms of being self employed, you sure can start something in your line of study no matter how small with your degree and also you have so much prospects sang possibility to do lots and work in lots of related fields without having to study so much extra.
You can go into HSE that is health, safety and environment which is really big and will continue to be big, you can just learn autocad, revit or other related softwares and become a guru and start getting contracts even while still in school, there are many other you can do but with time Ill reserve them.
However, as much as statistics and mathematics are very great course of study, you have to consider the situation of our dear nation and what the current situation says in actual fact is that their is little or no prospect for a statistician or a mathematician except you end up a teacher or a civil servant and keep counting years for promotion and getting frustrated. If you are someone that is so enthustiatic and love to be engaged then don't consider this cos if you end up a civil servant in Nigeria you will hardly develop and grow i have friends there and they laments everyday.
however, if you plan to leave the shores of the country anytime soon to pursue your career in your line of study, then you have a great prospect if you are good cos you will be a hotcake cos to many people are in the filed. So its all left to you. but above all know what you want, talk to God He is the Omniscience the God that knoweth all.

4 Likes

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ifenes(m): 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
i dont understand o.

How can people struggle to get degrees only to line up for jobs? What about inter-personal skills? That is why the country is poor in regards to skills. Too much concentration on degree will cripple the country.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by agentofchange1(m): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
ayokunlei:

agentofchange1
sir.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
BigBen10:

Mr informed I expect you to answerthe damn question.

I have done my research. I still don't find mathematics has more prospects.
research harder.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by destino24(m): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
so engineering graduate hav more job prospects than statisticians too? Pls stop deceiving d innocent OP

I asked him to check the jobs and vacancies section himself
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by missKiffy(f): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
why.
I believe Engineering courses are more prestigious, especially mechanical engineering, there are usually vacancies for mechanical engineers, its just that the numbers of job seekers has overshadowed the numbers of vacancies
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by boujaye: 3:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
the above.courses am comfortable with,presently am in maths dept in one of the federal uni around,going to 200lvl next year,pls classify them under prospects,chances of being self employed e.t.c by the way i will be 18 next year

Boy, i will advise you go for Mathematics. With maths you can fit into several field of endeavour (IT/ Banking /Numerical Science based jobs/ Engineering/technology management trainee employment opportunity etc. where you will be trained and grounded to handle technical jobs. If you choose, you can make a career by going for professional courses and becoming certified in that field. For mechanical, the scope of employment is not as wide as that of mathematics. Meanwhile I studied Industrial Mathematics in the uni and am today working as an ICT guru of my company (with many IT professional certifications obtained). Also pray about it for God's guidance.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
mcpat:

You cannot work as an Engineer!!
If you can switch and you think you can cope , please do.
You can work anywhere with a Mechanical Engineering degree, Even in a hospital.
Cheers!
i can work as an engineer.pls do verify.cheers.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ChinonsoDike2: 3:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
i dont want to be limited to nigeria alone.and yes can make 2.1 in mech engg

Since you don't want to limit yourself to Nigeria, I can give you some advice. I studied Applied Math in college(good ol USA). I finished with a 3.7/4 GPA. I'm currently doing an off-cycle internship at Morgan Stanley. It involves doing quantitative work, modelling, liaising with the investment traders. In the US you can choose any major, so why did I choose Applied Math? First of all, I love math; it's fun, enjoyable stuff. You work on interesting, real world problems; engineering also does that, but I enjoy non-engineering, financial problems. I chose the applied form because my goal has always been to work in industry. Mech.eng forces you into a box; you have to be in the engineering sector; you can't do cool jobs at wall street. The work seems droll and boring. You do monotonous work while you climb up the corporate ladder. Engineering also has its pros, so do a lot of research on this. Regardless of major, learn how to program. Pick up C++ and Matlab, and you're golden.

Goodluck.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by BigBen10: 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
research harder.

mtchew you don't know you stuff. calculator123 don't listen to him o andI still await your reply to my earlier question.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by favoured247(m): 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
from.my little research,u can woek as a quant,lecturer,economist,tax analyst,meteorologist,engineer e.t.c NB it mat require added qualifications
As a mechanical engineer u can work as a lecturer, in a bank, in an audit firm, in a power industry, in an automobile industry, in oil and gas industry, IT firms, telecoms, in a marine industry, in hospitals(supervising technical works). see am busy jare I cant name everywhere. u can do countless tins as a mechanical engineer. u can fit in anywhere. don't EVER try comparing mechanical engineering to MAthematics pls. Not like u don't stand a chance getting a good job wit mathematics. But the chances of getting employed is far higher as a mechanical engineer. Take note

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
i dont want to be limited to nigeria alone.and yes can make 2.1 in mech engg
if u dont want to be limited to nigeria alone, do maths.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by gunpoint(m): 3:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
@op
This isn't a shade at anyone who has posted already, but do not mind people telling you to go with maths, the people who are surprised to hear you studying maths when engineering is available, they are not mad.
As an engineering graduate, i worked in a bank for a while, truth be told, engrs dominate banking, while no other discipline crosses over to engineering. And as far as i know, no you cannot just waltz on a do an msc in engineering with a maths degree.
If you know you can switch, switch yesterday, infact switch last week.
But be mindful of what one other poster said, if you cannot make a 1st class or at worst a 2.1, DO NOT make that switch.
These people are deceiving you kiddo, maths is limited in Nigeria oh

Mind you, all these people talking about moving international, engineering is still a better prospect abroad too. Anywhere in the world, engineering will fetch you a job before maths.
And any tom dick and harry can program angry

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 3:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
oga i suppose dis is top 10 in ur village right?

You won't just undastnd... What are studying or what did you study? Tell me b4 I break it down
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 04, 2016
favoured247:

As a mechanical engineer u can work as a lecturer, in a bank, in an audit firm, in a power industry, in an automobile industry, in oil and gas industry, in a marine industry, in hospitals(supervising technical works). see am busy jare I cant name everywhere. u can do countless tins as a mechanical engineer. u can fit in anywhere. don't EVER try comparing mechanical engineering to MAthematics pls. Not like u don't stand a chance getting a good job wit mathematics. But the chances of getting employed is far higher as a mechanical engineer. Take note
Lie frm d deepest bosom of hell
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by deluxeT(m): 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
Hmmm, this discussion would have been meaningful in an ideal situation.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
ademoladeji:

You won't just undastnd... What are studying or what did you study? Tell me b4 I break it down
am a pure mathematics student
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by idros4real: 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
hedgesfun:
I am an engineer and I worked and still works in engineering field, I have friends that study mathematics and statistics though and I could use that to judge what is happening now.
As an engineering graduate, you sure will get a job almost instantly after graduation even before your service, it may not be the kind of high paying job you seek but one thing that is assured is you won't stay at home except you chose to and wait for the big fish, and in terms of being self employed, you sure can start something in your line of study no matter how small with your degree and also you have so much prospects sang possibility to do lots and work in lots of related fields without having to study so much extra.
You can go into HSE that is health, safety and environment which is really big and will continue to be big, you can just learn autocad, revit or other related softwares and become a guru and start getting contracts even while still in school, there are many other you can do but with time Ill reserve them.
However, as much as statistics and mathematics are very great course of study, you have to consider the situation of our dear nation and what the current situation says in actual fact is that their is little or no prospect for a statistician or a mathematician except you end up a teacher or a civil servant and keep counting years for promotion and getting frustrated. If you are someone that is so enthustiatic and love to be engaged then don't consider this cos if you end up a civil servant in Nigeria you will hardly develop and grow i have friends there and they laments everyday.
however, if you plan to leave the shores of the country anytime soon to pursue your career in your line of study, then you have a great prospect if you are good cos you will be a hotcake cos to many people are in the filed. So its all left to you. but above all know what you want, talk to God He is the Omniscience the God that knoweth all.

Good am into SilidsWork and like bringing ideas into reality. As an engineer you are there to solve problem. If you are choosing mechanical engineer you can go for HSE cos this is a professional course every engineering student should have idea about. May God Bless Us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Twitter Refuses To Pay African Employees, Replies With Poop Emoji / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Christie Amara Opara: Navy Promotes First Female Nurse In Nigeria As General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.