Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering (38435 Views)

Tonnes Of Mechanical Engineering Ebooks / Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate / Architecture Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2016
ucheicon:
Who ever tells you to choose maths over engineering assuredly doesn't know what he's talking about. Engineering gives you the widest scope of job possibilities over any discipline with electrical/electronic engineering the widest. Go to any finance or audit institution,you'll observe that people with engineering degrees predominate over any discipline. The MD,DMD and ED treasury of UBA are grads of engineering. In the oil industry,engineering is so revered that even geologists will tell you that engineers are trained to do their jobs. To be admitted into IPS port harcourt(jointly run by TOTAL and uniport) any engineering degree suffices,even polymer of agric engineering! Never heard them admitting mathematicians or physicists! For the chap who talks of quants job in US investment banking,the chap is surely ignorant. Does he mean engineers won't be taken if applied? Crazy! Engineers surely dominate recruitment hires there if not the discipline financial engineering as a grad course won't be available to them. Isn't quantitative finance the application of maths , statistics and computer science to finance-like any engineering discipline? So whats difficult in there for someone with an engineering not to fit in? In nigeria,choose engineering over maths and if in developed western countries,whatever you're best at.

Mechanical Engineering... Not Engineering.Its worthy of mention
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by laplace19(m): 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2016
Calculator123.... from your replies I can deduce you have already made up your mind to study mathematics because of the love you have for calculations and also already a sophomore in a Nigerian university. Hence, agreeing that mechanical engineering is better than mathematics will demoralise you.

But be it as it may, Mechanical engineering will always be better than mathematics as long as naija is concerned...

However, don't console yourself with this "I will do my masters in mathematics outside the country"... As freshers back then, every student dreams of doing his/her masters outside Nigeria, but at the end only few will travel outside the country to pursue their masters... The question now is "how sure or convinced are you that you're gonna be among the few to travel outside for their masters"....

#done#

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
buscojnr:
Engineering is the best of the options. If those who said u shd choose mathematics are current with weekly job adverts, am sure they will nt mention mathematics .although, with degree in mathematics,u can work any where.
anywhere as how.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by BigBen10: 4:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
thanks but i stick with my maths/stats programme.

ya welcome.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 4:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
am a pure mathematics student

Now, I get you...

It's my opinion to vote Mechanical Engineering above Mathematics and/or Statistics.

Entrepreneurship

Which has more prospect in this regard? I'm not saying Mathematicians don't do well buh how do you setup a 'Mathematics' organisation with little or no capital asides being a maths teacher?
As a Mechanical Engineering graduate, you cld even decide to teach Maths n Physics at will. You cld go into HVAC, HSE, Piping designs, Water reticulation design... Designing alone could just be it...

On a larger scale, Mathematics MIGHT be at par with Mechanical Engineering because outside the shores of this country, the story is always in reverse to what we have.

So, irrespective of the course, the zeal and passion of studying usually goes a very long way in determining how successful and happy a person will be.

#NoDescrimination
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:22pm On Jan 04, 2016
ccaramel:
Don't know about others but Statiticians make very good money in Canada!
epic.God bless u.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2016
laplace19:
Calculator123.... from your replies I can deduce you have already made up your mind to study mathematics because of the love you have for calculations and also already a sophomore in a Nigerian university. Hence, agreeing that mechanical engineering is better than mathematics will demoralise you.

But be it as it may, Mechanical engineering will always be better than mathematics as long as naija is concerned...

However, don't console yourself with this "I will do my masters in mathematics outside the country"... As freshers back then, every student dreams of doing his/her masters outside Nigeria, but at the end only few will travel outside the country to pursue their masters... The question now is "how sure or convinced are you that you're gonna be among the few to travel outside for their masters"....

#done#

by his grace,i will.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

wow that's good. You work as an engineer in an oil servicing company doing what exactly??

Wireline Engineering... Basically acquiring petrophysical data from drilled or existing well.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2016
ademoladeji:

Now, I get you...

It's my opinion to vote Mechanical Engineering above Mathematics and/or Statistics.

Entrepreneurship

Which has more prospect in this regard? I'm not saying Mathematicians don't do well buh how do you setup a 'Mathematics' organisation with little or no capital asides being a maths teacher?
As a Mechanical Engineering graduate, you cld even decide to teach Maths n Physics at will. You cld go into HVAC, HSE, Piping designs, Water reticulation design... Designing alone could just be it...

On a larger scale, Mathematics MIGHT be at par with Mechanical Engineering because outside the shores of this country, the story is always in reverse to what we have.

So, irrespective of the course, the zeal and passion of studying usually goes a very long way in determining how successful and happy a person will be.

#NoDescrimination
i still disagree with u
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
no disputing the fact,but hey i still can work as a engineer with ma degree in maths.

okay Oo, the mic is in your hands
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
ademoladeji:

Now, I get you...

Entrepreneurship

#NoDescrimination
yep zeal does,bur good grade.anyway thanks for the contribution.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 4:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
are speaking frm the nigerian context

Just givin you a case study of Entrepreneurship...

Do you really think it's easy to set up a business outside of this country? Be it in Europe or America?
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by destino24(m): 4:25pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
what of an M.ENG,i can do so using bsc maths.

You'll have to do a lot of Engineering undergraduate courses before starting the graduate courses. Oh! And that's for someone who has a bachelors from their accredited universities
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 4:26pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
i still disagree with u
It doesn't matter brother. Not compelling you to.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by martineverest(m): 4:26pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
see talk lik plantain. Keep deceiving ursef mech stds up to 80% mathematics courses? Then its math dat isn't broad nd hard shey? Move frm mech to math, you'll understand why khaki is not leather
I know u are arrogant and pained mathematician..... Have u opened advanced engineering maths?.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
laplace19:

#done#

exactly, that why i'm just following him meticulously
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by destino24(m): 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Freciprocal:

Wireline Engineering... Basically acquiring petrophysical data from drilled or existing well.

so you basically acquire data from engineers and then compute
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:28pm On Jan 04, 2016
ademoladeji:

Just givin you a case study of Entrepreneurship...

Do you really think it's easy to set up a business outside of this country? Be it in Europe or America?
nothing is easy Bro.i love being an enterpreneur,the major reasons i want a degree is to equip me with the necessart skills
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
martineverest:
I know u are arrogant and pained mathematician..... Have u opened advanced engineering maths?.
You hav u opened Discrete Mathematics and its application by Kenneth H Rosen?

If u hav u wont hav spewed d trash u spewed here. D size of d textbook alone wud leave ur mouth open for 30minutes
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

exactly, that why i'm just following him meticulously
hmmm.i have seen many unemployed engineering grads,frm chem to elect to even mech....what do u gat to say abt that.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 4:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
nothing is easy Bro.i love being an enterpreneur,the major reasons i want a degree is to equip me with the necessart skills

I was only taking my argument from Entrepreneurial view.

It's easier with engineering I must confess.

May God see you through whatever decision you take

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
Freciprocal:

okay i get it. The fact still remains that a mathematician cannot i repeat cannot do the job of an enginner. You acquire data from drilled/existing wells. That job description sounds more statistical to me, hence a mathematician/statistician's job.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by peterbam(m): 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
i think there is none better than the other, it only depends on you. The grade you make, the opportunities you have (those you are connected to, can they help you as engineer or mathematician), the amount of resources you have and you are likely to have, the country you will settle in, your passion etc.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 4:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
I believe many pple are confusing mathematics (BSc) with Mathematics (BEd)

There is a huge difference! I got similar discrimination while studying Mathematics in school. The truth is the only regret in studying mathematics, is if u don't come out with a good grade.

There is a point most folks forget to understand. You are employed based on ur aptitude.

Even with your 1st class in Mech Engineering, the company still has to train u cos the engineering curriculum in ur university does not translate to what is applicable.

To those mentioning banks and other coys... you would still be trained. So the smarter and more intelligent u are (irrespective of Maths or Mech Engr) the better your chances.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
destino24:

You'll have to do a lot of Engineering undergraduate courses before starting the graduate courses. Oh! And that's for someone who has a bachelors from their accredited universities
pls do u mind explaining
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
ademoladeji:

I was only taking my argument from Entrepreneurial view.

It's easier with engineering I must confess.

May God see you through whatever decision you take
AMEN.from ur submission,u seem like an enterpreneur
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
hmmm.i have seen many unemployed engineering grads,frm chem to elect to even mech....what do u gat to say abt that.

unemployed graduates are every where be it engineers or scientists...
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by lonelydora: 4:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
no,guess it a co incidence

Okay.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by einsteino(m): 4:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
those people are in d in 12th century then. Rubbish.
Even some engineering graduates are now regretting, wishing they did mathematics. Go ask any sound literate, they wud tell u to choose math over engineering.

Cc
Lalasticlala
Richiez FP please

Stop deceiving this boy. His future is at stake here
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 4:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

okay i get it. The fact still remains that a mathematician cannot i repeat cannot do the job of an enginner. You acquire data from drilled/existing wells. That job description sounds more statistical to me, hence a mathematician/statistician's job.

Ignorance!

Google Wireline Engineering

Thank me later!
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
Freciprocal:
I believe many pple are confusing mathematics (BSc) with Mathematics (BEd)

There is a huge difference! I got similar discrimination while studying Mathematics in school. The truth is the only regret in studying mathematics, is if u don't come out with a good grade.

There is a point most folks forget to understand. You are employed based on ur aptitude.

Even with your 1st class in Mech Engineering, the company still has to train u cos the engineering curriculum in ur university does not translate to what is applicable.

To those mentioning banks and other coys... you would still be trained. So the smarter and more intelligent u are (irrespective of Maths or Mech Engr) the better your chances.
good analysis.bro
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by destino24(m): 4:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
pls do u mind explaining

http://www.americangraduateeducation.com/articles/en/transitioning-engineering.htm

Keep in mind that all that is posted in that link applies to people who have degrees recognized and accredited by relevant authorities in the US

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Michelle Ekure, Shoemaker, Receives Award - Photos / The New Girl I hired Keeps A Frown Whenever She Brings Anything To Me.(photos) / A True-life Story Happening To A 23-year-old Boy At The Moment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.