Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,030 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering (38441 Views)

Tonnes Of Mechanical Engineering Ebooks / Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate / Architecture Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
pls do u mind explaining

he meant you must first of all obtain a PGD in engineering before you can get a masters in engineering.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 4:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
destino24:

so you basically acquire data from engineers and then compute

Google "Well logging"

Read also about wireline Engineering

Patiently awaiting ur questions
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
einsteino:

Stop deceiving this boy. His future is at stake here
what? Future at stake from studying mathematics? u definitely hav a very LOW IQ for typing dis
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
the above.courses am comfortable with,presently am in maths dept in one of the federal uni around,going to 200lvl next year,pls classify them under prospects,chances of being self employed e.t.c by the way i will be 18 next year

If you'd like to do interesting cutting-edge research go for Math, pick up useful programming languages + basic physics before you get your undergraduate degree, study hard, get good grades and go for an advanced degree in Computer Science (with a focus on Artificial Intelligence) or Mathematical Physics (with a focus on quantum computation). That's where the future is headed!
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

unemployed graduates are every where be it engineers or scientists...
ok then.what happened to all prospects outlined above for ME
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
Freciprocal:

Ignorance!
Google Wireline Engineering
Thank me later!

ignorance?? .....hmmmmm
can you please explain the engineering in what you do?? No offence sir
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
LucifersTongue:

If you'd like to do interesting cutting-edge research go for Math, pick up useful programming languages + basic physics before you get your undergraduate degree, study hard, get good grades and go for an advanced degree in Computer Science (with a focus on Artificial Intelligence) or Mathematical Physics (with a focus on quantum computation). That's where the future is headed!
tahnks for this piece of advice.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by einsteino(m): 4:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
First and foremost, there is vurtually no job in the country. But whatever job opportunity exist for a maths grad can be filled in by an engr grad. Unfortunately the same can not be said about a maths grad filling up an engr position.

I am a civil engr with 2yrs post nysc experience, so I am not just blabbing. Even more my younger bro was studying maths, I advised him to retake jamb. Today he is studying elect engr.

Dont get me wrong, there are engrs out there without jobs and are starving but it still remains a better option han maths. Except you aint talking about Nigeria

All those talk about research position is almost non existent in Nigeria without connect or a first class. Also engineers do a whole lot of research too.. But like I said, research in Nigeria is mere formality. If u are interested in research better leave to a country like canada or u.s

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by seggzz(m): 4:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
martineverest:
I know u are arrogant and pained mathematician..... Have u opened advanced engineering maths?.

Have you seen text book of topology?
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

he meant you must first of all obtain a PGD in engineering before you can get a masters in engineering.
not applicable abroad.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

ignorance?? .....hmmmmm

can you please explain the engineering in what you do?? No offence sir

Google "Well logging"

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Sirlanister(m): 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
the above.courses am comfortable with,presently am in maths dept in one of the federal uni around,going to 200lvl next year,pls classify them under prospects,chances of being self employed e.t.c by the way i will be 18 next year

Hello World!
mathematics is good.

Mathematicians rule the World.
maths is all about problem solving.
it is required in all area of study and in all field of study.
I enjoy maths.
Though am a student of Statistics/Computer sha.
Many chances await you bro.
just study it with all diligence.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
einsteino:
First and foremost, there is vurtually no job in the country. But whatever job opportunity exist for a maths grad can be filled in by an engr grad. Unfortunately the same can not be said about a maths grad filling up an engr position.

I am a civil engr with 2yrs post nysc experience, so I am not just blabbing. Even more younger bro was studying maths, I advised him to retake jamb. Today he is studying elect engr.

Dont get me wrong, there are engrs out there without jobs and are starving but it still remains a better option han maths. Except you aint talking about Nigeria
why has nigerian entity under estimated the importance of mathematics/ statistics
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by GeniusDavid(m): 4:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
Freciprocal:

Mathematics under Engineering? shocked
The internet is ur friend.
Go get urself medicated glasses. Wrong Quote. smh
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
ok then.what happened to all prospects outlined above for ME

From the arguments so far, i want you to sit and think if you can be self employed after graduating from what you are studying. If the answer is yes then it's the best for you.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by udeh3(m): 4:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
Meritocracy:
In term of prospect, pls go for mechanical engineering if you have opportunity. In multinational company they hire more engineers, infact banks prefer hiring engineer, in reseach, you can only do research in your field, in master stuff, they can only allow engineer to do science course but not science to do engineering course. With statistics you will end up in teaching, lecturing, bank or civil service.

QED... Let me also refer them to job vancancy sites. Please check the last NNPC, SHELL, CHEVRON, etc job advert to see whether you'll see a position for mathematics

I really love the way you made the analogy simple... If I were those people who studied mathematics, I'll just go for Ph.d and start lecturing or better still get an employment in secondary schools. Even in secondary school self, teachers teaching engineering related courses are very few, ask the Corp members

Engineering is the bedrock of an social development!
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
Sirlanister:

Hello World! mathematics is good.
Mathematicians rule the World. maths is all about problem solving. it is required in all area of study and in all field of study. I enjoy maths. Though am a student of Statistics/Computer sha. Many chances await you bro. just study it with all diligence.
thanks bro.goodluck in ur endeavours.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by destino24(m): 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2016
Freciprocal:

Google "Well logging"

Don't even bother. you want me to source questions from Google, what's to say you won't be sourcing your answers from there?
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Wallade(m): 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2016
Mechanical engineering!
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2016
udeh3:

QED... Let me also refer them to job vancancy sites. Please check the last NNPC, SHELL, CHEVRON, etc job advert to see whether you'll see a position for mathematics

I really love the way you made the analogy simple... If I were those people who studied mathematics, I'll just go for Ph.d and start lecturing or better still get an employment in secondary schools. Even in secondary school self, teachers teaching engineering related courses are very few, ask the Corp members

Engineering is the bedrock of an social development!
i agree with u,no job vacancies explicitly asking for the services of mathematicians and or statistician,but we can apply our doggedness and analytical skills in other areas e.g computer programmer,tax analyst et al

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2016
Freciprocal:

Google "Well logging"

oga i agree i'm ignorant please explain to me the engineering in what you do where you work haba. Please stop bringing google into this conversation i want to get it from you, you are the one doing the job not google becuase i want to learn from you.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by boujaye: 4:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
amazingspiderma:

Despite the fact you claim to be maths graduate you still had to get IT certifications.I can bet you that an engineer with the same IT certifications will most likely do the same job anywhere in the world.But you will definitely find it difficult to compete for a job with B.Sc mechanical engineering Graduate despite your Masters in Engineering and B.Sc Mathematics.
No! You are getting it wrong. I am not saying Engineering is not worth it, no its quite a prestigious profession. Your B.Sc/Masters or whatever, is only an academic qualification which is a prerequisite for entry level jobs, your certification by a recognized regulatory body is your professional qualification and that gives you an edge over others and establishes you as a professional in that field no matter your field of study, provided you know your worth. For instance being a graduate of mechanical engineering doesn't make you a professional or an engineer until you register and being certified or licensed by NSE/COREN etc before you can qualify legally to be known as an engineer (professionally).

My advise to Op is that mathematics has a wider employment opportunity; be it in the business, architectural, computational, oil and gas sector.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
seggzz:

Have you seen text book of topology?
grin leave him to be making noise
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Shikena(m): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
Almost all the advantages offered by Mathematics also apply to Mechanical Engineering and even more and this is not just about Nigerian environment. However, with luck, hardwork and connections both are very good options.

We should always note that how far you go is more about you - the paper qualification is more about positioning for opportunities. A good friend of mine in a very good statistics-related job with US government actually studied Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria. Some guys with Maths degrees are also doing well in diverse areas.

We can argue from morning till evening but perception is always a huge factor and with areas of studies like Engineering it is not without solid reasons based on facts over several years. If I have to make a choice between these options, I won't even flog the issue - I will opt for Mechanical Engineering any time t.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ohiza: 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
This is time for engineers to comment because we have been busy working, ..Choose wisely o die on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 4:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
GeniusDavid:

Go get urself medicated glasses. Wrong Quote. smh

It's good u quickly checked and edited ur comments. U are a fast learner... Kudos!
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 4:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
stanisbaratheon:

From the arguments so far, i want you to sit and think if you can be self employed after graduating from what you are studying. If the answer is yes then it's the best for you.
by his grace,i can.i av a lecture who said he doesnt touches his salart becuz his passive income is more than enough that of course includs consulting for firms e.g halliburton.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by hmuhammad(m): 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
pls more advice frm experts
cc laslasticlaca
send me your mobile number, i'll give you a call
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
Sirlanister:

Hello World!
mathematics is good.

Mathematicians rule the World.
maths is all about problem solving.
it is required in all area of study and in all field of study.
I enjoy maths.
Though am a student of Statistics/Computer sha.
Many chances await you bro.
just study it with all diligence.
calculator123 follow advices lik dis, d world is developing nd as it favours mathematicians d most. You won't understand till u finish nd start lookin for job
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 04, 2016
I have two degrees, bsc Engineering and MSc engineering. if I was to do it again, I would study maths. Only that the proofs are too rigorous.
Maths or physics doesn't box you to a corner like engineering does.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 04, 2016
destino24:
Bros, goto to the jobs/vacancies section right now and check. Forget the discipline, Engineering is just too broad and employers of labour know it. You're more likely to get a job with Engineering.

Entrepreneurship wise, Engineering still takes the lead.

Forget that thing wey durentt dey talk grin

But on a serious note, if you can move over to Eng, please do

*****""""""""""edited ""''''''''********"

Op, to practice Engineering in the US, you have to graduate from an accredited faculty of Engineering so drop that idea of practicing with maths

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_and_licensure_in_engineering

Also ask him why engineering is a professional course cos I guess he ain't gat ideas..

End time silly question

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Michelle Ekure, Shoemaker, Receives Award - Photos / The New Girl I hired Keeps A Frown Whenever She Brings Anything To Me.(photos) / A True-life Story Happening To A 23-year-old Boy At The Moment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.