Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,545 members, 7,819,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? (23378 Views)

Prostration (Sujood) On Soil-What Is The Justification? / Media Contributes To The Bad Image Of Islam. Why? / Women Mode Of Dressing According To The Glorious Quran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by olatex25(m): 4:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
Dante2008:
Alhamdulillah you said your opinion, but when it comes to the matters of religion your opinion do not really count when there is a text from the Quran and sunnah of the prophet (pbuh), Please brothers and sisters in Islam, is simple let's obey Allah and his prophet in matters of your life and see urself having peaceful and stress free life, and let's stop using our reasoning, as some of these things or rules are something our ordinary reasoning cannot comprehend .
ok sir. pls i wil like 2 learn frm u sir, by givin me d surah and d verse dat state we can't bow for our parent or elder's. Cos wot i was tot is not placing any part dat we use to serve Allah for any human or creature. I.e our forehead, palm, nose, knee, and tips of our legs cos we use it while in Sajidah.. We going down for our parent or elder's can't be place as haram(forbiden).. Am nt a clearics bt a student dat ready to learn sir.. Enlight me more on dis sire with Quran verse and Hadith...
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Caseless: 7:12pm On Nov 25, 2016
uplawal:
hot hot hot,topic,ogbona feli feli bi amala to jina,pls lets contribute grin grin

me i dnt get on my knees when greeting,because i have to do the same for Allah everytime of salat,i will rather bend a bit and smile beauifully,like this

Eka san ma/sir or Asalamu Aleikum ma/sir.

More to come,still thinking about misnorms in our tradition that is not in conformity with Islam
I like your moniker.

1 Like

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 25, 2016
olatex25:

ok sir. pls i wil like 2 learn frm u sir, by givin me d surah and d verse dat state we can't bow for our parent or elder's. Cos wot i was tot is not placing any part dat we use to serve Allah for any human or creature. I.e our forehead, palm, nose, knee, and tips of our legs cos we use it while in Sajidah.. We going down for our parent or elder's can't be place as haram(forbiden).. Am nt a clearics bt a student dat ready to learn sir.. Enlight me more on dis sire with Quran verse and Hadith...

Salam alaikum

I know this is coming late but I hope it clarifies a little.

One of the Companions asked the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him): O Messenger of Allah, if one of us meets his brother or his friend, can he bow to him? He said: “No.” He said: Can he embrace him and kiss him? He said: “No.” He said: Can he shake his hand? He said: “Yes.” Narrated by at-Tirmidhi (2652); classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah (160).

You can read this for more details
Contact17:
A detailed explaination on the prohibition to kneeling and bowing for someone else.
https://islamqa.info/en/223781

2 Likes

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2016
A detailed explaination on the prohibition to kneeling and bowing for someone else.

https://islamqa.info/en/223781

1 Like

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by AbuHammaad: 8:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
Thanks for posting that Contact17. At least, we won't have to do play irrelevant back and forth game

1 Like

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 25, 2016
Caseless:
I like your moniker.

How is this possible?
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Caseless: 9:22pm On Nov 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

How is this possible?
it's strange right? Well, "UP Lawal" was among my favourite governors then. May Allah grant him jannat!
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 25, 2016
olatex25:

i think most people are getting it wrong, they are mistaken Culture with religion... If Saudi stand on greeting dere elder's or younger one's, doesn't insulnuate we nigeria as to imitate dem. There are some part of state or shud i say town in South Africa, dey grit demselve by givin eachoda a dirty Slap, niether u are an elder or young. U can attest to dis by grabin a Copy of Mr Bones Cd plate.. Dat's dere Culture, it luks ridiculous bt who are we to judge dem..
Even in indian, dey go as far as touching dere parent or guardian legs jst to show sign of respect..
Am not in support of prostrating while greeting, cos i dnt... But its total a disrespectful greeting elder's while u stand, u can easily go down witout placing ur knee or hand on d floor.. Some even go to d extend of shakin hands wit dere dad, dat's stupidity of d highest oda...
My Opinion pls

All ur aforementioned points brother, are against the sunnah of rasulullaah.

Ur opinion doesn't matter in matter of the deen brother. U r saying we shouldn't confuse Arab culture and religion, this matter of prostration was done specifically by a sahaba to rasulullaah, he told d sahaba never to do it to.

On ur opinion of shaking hands is stupidity of the highes oda, rasulullaah says if 2 muslims shake hands wen dey meet, their minor sins r forgiven like d leaves fall from the tree.

U r saying it is total disrespect to stand and greet elders, many instances, u dobale 4 an elder, u genuflect for the elder, u te for him, u do all sorts of crappy greeting styles for him, and if we look am, go-come, u don't respect d person, u don't gv d damn abt d persons feelings, etc.

All those alfas wey dey give una fatawas to sooth una whims and fancy, u shoud see dem in Saudi, if any of their goons wants to dobale for dem over their, na to stop dem from doing so, saying' a le ma dobale ti a ba pada de naijiri'...which HYPOCRISY pass dis one

As a muslim, if something/culture has sometyn against d deen, u leave it, simple as that! You should go seek knowledge on this "culture and Islam", is like u r confused!

PS; if na by culture, abeg, na where ORIGIN of Oduduwa come from, no be mekka!?!

2 Likes

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by mrwiddy(m): 10:38pm On Nov 25, 2016
uplawal:
hot hot hot,topic,ogbona feli feli bi amala to jina,pls lets contribute grin grin

me i dnt get on my knees when greeting,because i have to do the same for Allah everytime of salat,i will rather bend a bit and smile beauifully,like this

Eka san ma/sir or Asalamu Aleikum ma/sir.

More to come,still thinking about misnorms in our tradition that is not in conformity with Islam
i want to understand as well dat u don't stand as well since u stand whe u pray to ALLAH,or most importantly,u dnt sit in front of people since u do dat on SOLAT.
#ISLAM is easy,don't complicate issues!
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by olatex25(m): 11:05pm On Nov 25, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

All ur aforementioned points brother, are against the sunnah of rasulullaah.

Ur opinion doesn't matter in matter of the deen brother. U r saying we shouldn't confuse Arab culture and religion, this matter of prostration was done specifically by a sahaba to rasulullaah, he told d sahaba never to do it to.

On ur opinion of shaking hands is stupidity of the highes oda, rasulullaah says if 2 muslims shake hands wen dey meet, their minor sins r forgiven like d leaves fall from the tree.

U r saying it is total disrespect to stand and greet elders, many instances, u dobale 4 an elder, u genuflect for the elder, u te for him, u do all sorts of crappy greeting styles for him, and if we look am, go-come, u don't respect d person, u don't gv d damn abt d persons feelings, etc.

All those alfas wey dey give una fatawas to sooth una whims and fancy, u shoud see dem in Saudi, if any of their goons wants to dobale for dem over their, na to stop dem from doing so, saying' a le ma dobale ti a ba pada de naijiri'...which HYPOCRISY pass dis one

As a muslim, if something/culture has sometyn against d deen, u leave it, simple as that! You should go seek knowledge on this "culture and Islam", is like u r confused!

PS; if na by culture, abeg, na where ORIGIN of Oduduwa come from, no be mekka!?!
hello sir, am veri sure u dnt go tru wot i wrote, cos if u did u won't be qouting me wrongly, i dnt tink dere's any need for repitition of words. Mayb u go tru it agn... Cos i neva see's where i mentioned shaking hands as stupidity of highest oda.. (dere's clause in dat) mayb u shud check agn.. And i neva support prostrating, mayb u shud also check again.. I beg ur pardon sir, u dnt av to mention alfa's.. Ur point are baseless, as if u are fighting some1 here.. Islam teach us peace, if u see sum1 dat nid 2 b enlightened u wil do dat wit wisdom so him/her wil acept woteva u share. Not like dis sire.. I neva say my opinion count, moreova evry1 is entitle to his/her opinion.. Salam
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by mrwiddy(m): 11:11pm On Nov 25, 2016
ArcBoB:
Current facing such problem @ home. My dad vow to send me out if i do not bow (te). Pls adv
of course u wud bow,
since he never commanded u to go down on the 7 points(of d body;forehead+2palms+2knees+2feet) Allah ordered us to use in his worship,anything other dan dz can nevr b Haram. Its not difficult to prove,since u prostrate ur BODY and ur prostrate GLANDS to your rightful woman.. ....
#science
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Empiree: 11:24pm On Nov 25, 2016
Dont know why this is still issue. Very simple. If anyone wants to discuss issue of bowing or prostration to greet elders, PLEASE DONT USE ARABS as case study. It is not in their culture to bow or prostrate to greet. In Yorubaland however, Allah created us that way. I can understand that, in Islam, we stand to greet. but dont use Arab ad standard to analyse this. When we prostrate to greet elders in Yoruba, our intention is greeting not worship. So this is a neutral case, It is neither Sunnah nor is it shirk. You have to prove it is shirk when we prostrate to greet our parents.

If it was Shirk, Allah in His infinite power would have collapsed the system long before our forefathers were born. It is easy for Arab Muslims and Western Muslims to condemn prostration to elders simply bcuz it is not part of their culture. We as Yoruba Muslims prostrating to elders know too well it is a form of respect. So in order to end the practice, you need hikma to do so. But the way people condemn it is complicating the issue further. Nabi (salaAllah alaiy wasalaaam) did not enforce ban on alcohol one time. He persuaded them many times before it was completely eradicated. So if you want to be "omo ale jati jati (bastard), when you wake up in the morning, shake your parents hands "e ka ro ma/sa". You will get a dirty slap. Matter of fact, you may even commit sin by disobeying them.

So the mode people condemn greeting in Yorubaland (not being sunnah) is appalling. They did not apply wisdom even though they are correct. I watched a video about it weeks ago and the Uztah was just yelling "DONT BOW TO GREET NO ONE. DONT PROSTRATE TO GREET ANYONE. Not even your parent". The way he passed his message sends wrong message to youths. They will disrespect their parents. Compared to the way Sheikh Kamaldeen(ra) passed the same message. He explained the issue with hikma.

Please dont use Saudi and other Arabs as a case study. They have in their culture to kiss their parents' feet. In order to kiss their parent's feet, the must prostrate. Theirs is even worst. When Sheikh Ibn Utheimeen(ra) was asked about kissing feet, he said 'intention is to kiss feet not worship". He finds it difficult to condemn the act bcuz he knows it is a common practice amongst the Arabs just like we have ours in yoruba. But others Arabs scholars would condemn yoruba mode of greetings. We dont prostrate to our parents to worship them. It is greeting. When obama met King Abdullah, he prostrated. Why did not king rebuff him?.

So this case needs to be put to rest. If you shake your parents hands and they are very understanding, that's btw you and them but dont be telling people not to bow to greet their parents. After all, having done some extensive research, bowing or prostration that Quran and hadith are talking about is FOREHEAD MUST NOT TOUCH THE GROUND NOT EVEN TO GREET ANYONE.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by olatex25(m): 12:58am On Nov 26, 2016
Empiree:
Dont know why this is still issue. Very simple. If anyone wants to discuss issue of bowing or prostration to greet elders, PLEASE DONT USE ARABS as case study. It is not in their culture to bow or prostrate to greet. In Yorubaland however, Allah created us that way. I can understand that, in Islam, we stand to greet. but dont use Arab ad standard to analyse this. When we prostrate to greet elders in Yoruba, our intention is greeting not worship. So this is a neutral case, It is neither Sunnah nor is it shirk. You have to prove it is shirk when we prostrate to greet our parents.

If it was Shirk, Allah in His infinite power would have collapsed the system long before our forefathers were born. It is easy for Arab Muslims and Western Muslims to condemn prostration to elders simply bcuz it is not part of their culture. We as Yoruba Muslims prostrating to elders know too well it is a form of respect. So in order to end the practice, you need hikma to do so. But the way people condemn it is complicating the issue further. Nabi (salaAllah alaiy wasalaaam) did not enforce ban on alcohol one time. He persuaded them many times before it was completely eradicated. So if you want to be "omo ale jati jati (bastard), when you wake up in the morning, shake your parents hands "e ka ro ma/sa". You will get a dirty slap. Matter of fact, you may even commit sin by disobeying them.

So the mode people condemn greeting in Yorubaland (not being sunnah) is appalling. They did not apply wisdom even though they are correct. I watched a video about it weeks ago and the Uztah was just yelling "DONT BOW TO GREET NO ONE. DONT PROSTRATE TO GREET ANYONE. Not even your parent". The way he passed his message sends wrong message to youths. They will disrespect their parents. Compared to the way Sheikh Kamaldeen(ra) passed the same message. He explained the issue with hikma.

Please dont use Saudi and other Arabs as a case study. They have in their culture to kiss their parents' feet. In order to kiss their parent's feet, the must prostrate. Theirs is even worst. When Sheikh Ibn Utheimeen(ra) was asked about kissing feet, he said 'intention is to kiss feet not worship". He finds it difficult to condemn the act bcuz he knows it is a common practice amongst the Arabs just like we have ours in yoruba. But others Arabs scholars would condemn yoruba mode of greetings. We dont prostrate to our parents to worship them. It is greeting. When obama met King Abdullah, he prostrated. Why did not king rebuff him?.

So this case needs to be put to rest. If you shake your parents hands and they are very understanding, that's btw you and them but dont be telling people not to bow to greet their parents. After all, having done some extensive research, bowing or prostration that Quran and hadith are talking about is FOREHEAD MUST NOT TOUCH THE GROUND NOT EVEN TO GREET ANYONE.
jazaka lahu sheik... (omo ale jati jati) funi enuf.. He wud av ear, shud listen

2 Likes

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 26, 2016
olatex25:

hello sir, am veri sure u dnt go tru wot i wrote, cos if u did u won't be qouting me wrongly, i dnt tink dere's any need for repitition of words. Mayb u go tru it agn... Cos i neva see's where i mentioned shaking hands as stupidity of highest oda.. (dere's clause in dat) mayb u shud check agn.. And i neva support prostrating, mayb u shud also check again.. I beg ur pardon sir, u dnt av to mention alfa's.. Ur point are baseless, as if u are fighting some1 here.. Islam teach us peace, if u see sum1 dat nid 2 b enlightened u wil do dat wit wisdom so him/her wil acept woteva u share. Not like dis sire.. I neva say my opinion count, moreova evry1 is entitle to his/her opinion.. Salam

#sighsssss....

Kb, I beg help me here!!
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 6:27am On Nov 26, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

#sighsssss....

Kb, I beg help me here!!

Lol grin....face your warrant!!

#joking..
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 6:42am On Nov 26, 2016
olatex25:

hello sir, am veri sure u dnt go tru wot i wrote, cos if u did u won't be qouting me wrongly, i dnt tink dere's any need for repitition of words. Mayb u go tru it agn... Cos i neva see's where i mentioned shaking hands as stupidity of highest oda.. (dere's clause in dat) mayb u shud check agn..

Do you speak with both sides of your mouth? You clearly said this;

"Some even go to d extend of shakin hands wit dere dad, dat's stupidity of d highest oda..."

Or by "clause" you mean shaking hands with one's dad?

Now you are denying you didnt? If the prophet said shaking hands with any muslim(even with one's dad) is good, who are you to call it stupidity?! We should be careful with what we do and say.

I don't shake hands with my dad but i avoid prostrating for him too, not even slightly, if you like call me "omo ale jati jati"(like you've done above for those that don't subscribe to your misguided view), as far as my dad still see me as his son and even love me veey much, then your words means nothing, you that you are "omo oko" keep up with it, no one is forcing you to accept the correct thing, but you trying to ascribe the wrong thing to Islam won't be allowed.

You've been given hadeeth that clearly prohibits prostration, slightly or not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Ahmadgani(m): 7:04am On Nov 26, 2016
my parents are conversant with the ethics of sunnah.

I dont squat, bow or kneel while greeting my parents.

I had to even stop visiting the palace just to avoid bowing to our traditional ruler

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 26, 2016
Ahmadgani:
my parents are conversant with the ethics of sunnah.

I dont squat, bow or kneel while greeting my parents.

I had to even stop visiting the palace just to avoid bowing to our traditional ruler

You are very lucky to have parents that are conversant with the sunnah, not everyone has this opportunity, its the wish of every sunnah-loving Muslim to inherit the sunnah from their parents.... Barakaallaahu feek.
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by olatex25(m): 7:26am On Nov 26, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Do you speak with both sides of your mouth? You clearly said this;

"Some even go to d extend of shakin hands wit dere dad, dat's stupidity of d highest oda..."

Or by "clause" you mean shaking hands with one's dad?

Now you are denying you didnt? If the prophet said shaking hands with any muslim(even with one's dad) is good, who are you to call it stupidity?! We should be careful with what we do and say.

I don't shake hands with my dad bit i avoid prostrating for hin either, not even slightly, if you like call me "omo ale jati jati"(like you've done above for those that don't subscribe to your misguided view), as far as my dad still see me as his son and even love me veey much, then your words means nothing, you that you are "omo oko" keep up with it, no one is forcing you to accept the correct thing, but you trying to ascribe the wrong thing to Islam won't be allowed.

You've been given hadeeth that clearly prohibits prostration, slightly or not.
smile...
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 26, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol grin....face your warrant!!

#joking..

Lol, baba, naso I re check the comment of mine b4, thinking maybe I erred And I had a rough time combing tru his English, jokes apart.

Nigga dey talk 'A', dey talk 'a' dey talk anoda 'Hay', ati beebelo
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 26, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

Lol, baba, naso I re check the comment of mine b4, thinking maybe I erred And I had a rough time combing tru his English, jokes apart.

Nigga dey talk 'A', dey talk 'a' dey talk anoda 'Hay', ati beebelo

Lol
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 26, 2016
Eh ehnnn, I dey hear some ppl say that there's nothing bad in prostrating to greet, dat intention is all that matters, hiaa. So having good intention b4 drinking alcohol is good ba?

U knw d problem some muslims are facing, they know dat some haram thing mentioned in the Qur'an, like gambling, porking, alcoholing, zinaing, amongst others, but dey engage in it, but they knw it is a sin. But when it is a prohibtion from the sunnah of rasulullaah, dey have doubts, dey reject it, eg trousers below ankles, picture making, dobaleing, etc.

Also, where their hypocrisy lies is, we all know dat the sunnah of making dua b4 sleeping to protect one from harms, dua for wearing cloths, dua said b4 entering the toilet, etc..dey knw dat dis is sunnah which if one doesn't do it, it is not a sin, but stil majority do it, bcuz dey knw if dey don't do it, dey myt be harmed spiritually, emotionally, etc. But when it is sunnah of prohibitions, and so on, dey don't do it, out of IGNORANCE.

Follow the path of the salaf as salih, bcuz they were upon what rasulullaah was upon, dey brought this deen to us, aw can U knw come and differ from them!?!?!

By Allaah, Islaam is easy, if u use the messenger of Allaah as the yardstick, not over doing, not under doing. The best acts of the deen, are actions done regularly, lest one gets bored, waiyadhubillaah!

Obey rasulullaah, obey Allaah.

Allaahu musta'an.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
Lol,well old things have passed, my strong views when I carried hadith and salaffy on my head, not anymore.
mrwiddy:
i want to understand as well dat u dd as well since u stand whe u pray to ALLAH,or most importantly,u dnt sit in front of people since u do dat on SOLAT.
#ISLAM is easy,don't complicate issues!
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
Thank you brother.[see author=Caseless post=51368126]I like your moniker.[/quote]
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
Thank you brother smiley.[see author=Caseless post=51368126]I like your moniker.[/quote]
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Thank you brother.[see author=Caseless post=51368126]I like your moniker.[/quote]
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Empiree: 9:01pm On Nov 28, 2016
uplawal:
Lol,well old things have passed, my strong views when I carried hadith and salaffy on my head, not anymore.
Lol....and y u dey double post?

1 Like

Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 28, 2016
mistakes
cheesy
Empiree:
Lol....and y u dey double post?
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Caselessness: 7:59am On Nov 29, 2016
uplawal:
moderation is key! Take it easy.
Re: Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ? by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 29, 2016
Caselessness:
moderation is key! Take it easy.

What's your definition of moderation?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Duas And Supplication To Battle Masturbation / Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story / An Open Letter To All Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.