Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,816 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! (1367 Views)

See What I Gave My Parents For Christmas - Photos / My Parents Are Forcing Me Into Marriage / Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by ilotriouzAY(m): 4:09pm On Nov 30, 2015
The young lady needs your advice

I grew up in a poor family, my mother has been a housewife since she got married (and I always wonder why she chose to be) and my father was a civil servant until he was retired some time ago. I am the first of four children and we have never ever had enough to meet our basic needs.
I graduated from a polytechnic after years of struggling and doing odd jobs to finance myself, and after walking the streets of Lagos looking for job everywhere and anywhere I finally got a fairly decent one as an administrative assistant in an accounting firm. The salary is not anything to brag about, but it is at least better than nothing. I also sell cheap women underwear for some extra cash.
My problem is that since I got this job my parents have handed over their financial responsibilities to me, I pay the bills , I give them money for the family upkeep, I pay their debts and take care of my siblings, my salary doesn’t last a day!.
I love my siblings and hate to see them drop out of school or go astray. My immediate younger sister recently started going out with an old married but rich man to get money, because the financial burden is just too much. The funny thing is that my mother is closing her eyes to it; she says if my sister is able to marry one of the rich men, things will change for us.
My last boyfriend left me when my parents started making heavy financial demands on him too, despite the fact that he gave my mother money to start a small business twice. She spent the money and never started a business.
My life is practically on a hold, I can’t save to do any meaningful for myself, I can’t even afford to buy nice things for myself because my mother will say I am being selfish. My mother always manipulate me emotionally by saying they have done their bit by raising me up that now it’s time for me to take care of them too.
Both of them are less than 55 years old, and sometimes I wonder why they haven’t worked hard enough to cater for us and for themselves. They are so laid back and not ready to go out and rough things out to make a living for the family, they prefer to go around borrowing and wait till their children make money to take care of them.
Some of my friends are also experiencing the same thing, even those with working parents, many parents think that once a child starts working the child has to repay them all they have done to raise him/her up it doesn’t matter if the child is still struggling or not.
Honestly I am so exhausted and tired of all these, I don’t know how to make things better..

Source:http://woman.ng/2015/04/help-my-parents-are-ripping-me-off/
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by Confessng: 4:13pm On Nov 30, 2015
Honestly all this problems in Naija we need true change
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
List ur priorities.
Do ur best
Leave d rest.
If u lose ur job. They ll survive without u
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by Sparkle777(f): 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
My dear, divide ur salary. Ensure u pay urself first then do ur best for every other family member.
You cant save everyone bt u can only try. Remember,if u die. They ll still survive. Goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 30, 2015
wickedness from some parents is killing. they give birth to children recklessly and cant take care of them. many working peeps are also facing the same thing, having to use all their salary for family needs while thier own life if on hold. Nigeria has to introduce a 2 child policy because things are going to get tougher

2 Likes

Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by CallMeMadMan: 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2015
Validated Trash
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by wilybebsy(m): 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2015
I think u need to seat them down and talk things out with them...
Nd ur mum should stop blackmalling u with they raised u cuz itz every parents duty to cater for their children, ur mum wasn't the first neither is she going to be the last to have done such... Shalom
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by zinachidi(m): 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2015
and i thought u parents are like 70,, try as much as possible and save uo some cash for them(i know its hard) and start up a ssmall business for them. don't give them the money in hand, since ur mum never utilized the money ur former bf gave her, that way u can know within u, that u've done ur part, and ur conscience is clear, if they want they shld not wisen up. Then as for ur younger sis, well, as for me ooh, i'd say u shld let her ''continue'' sapping the stupid aristo she caught.(not advisable, buh extreme times call for extreme measures), that way, the financial burden will reduce a lot. U didn't state how many other siblings u had, so i can't help on that.
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by princeemmy123(m): 4:50pm On Nov 30, 2015
Dunno wat to tell u ryt now, will actually want u to ensure u start savin some cash no matter hw small its could be atleast av a target u want to meet in few months. try to improve ur small business and set small business 4 ur mum, lets say sellin of pure water in bags and beverages at home e.t.c. Be closer to God d more and he will direct u and reward ur effort.
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by Cutehector(m): 5:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
Who is d young lady, she should show herself
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by CaroLyner(f): 5:13pm On Nov 30, 2015
am sure the "young lady" wont read this so would save my advice
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by Pheals(f): 6:10pm On Nov 30, 2015
Paul epistle no reach this now ah undecided
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by Talentuex(m): 6:19pm On Nov 30, 2015
rubbish....THIS is what get me pissed of at my parents sometimes.. they make it look like raising u up is like a favour that u got to repay them...especially Yoruba they are found of this slang. MA JE ONJE OMO....WTF!!!!!!!
Re: Help,my Parents Are Ripping Me Off!!! by tomzee2(f): 6:28pm On Nov 30, 2015
Hmmm I pitty them

Lazy parents

Do ur best nd leave they rest

God know say u try

(1) (Reply)

7 Ways To Emotionally Satisfy A Woman / I Am In Love With A Runs Girl. / Naija Babe Takes It Off In A Pool Party (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.