Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Nigerians And Big Grammar? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians And Big Grammar? (13753 Views)

Honorable Patrick Obahiagbon Mourns Ex ASUU President With Big Grammar / Patrick Obahiagbon Finally Tells Why He Always Speaks ‘big Grammar’ / Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by MaiSuya(m): 7:37pm On Jun 02, 2009
Jarus:

. . .scholarly mehu-mehu

@ Mai-Suya, are you sure this is English? Hope this is not Hausa? grin

lol!
Bros no mind me jare. . .Truth is, it's neither English nor Hausa as far as I know. . .I actually heard it from that Edo State legislator who is always blowing grammer. . .'political mehu-mehu ' is what I believe he said, and so I decided to plagiarize it. . . grin
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Pataki: 7:48pm On Jun 02, 2009
Mai Suya:

@BCR you don start again with ethnic bashing o! I no fit fight today, abeg. . .

The gratuitous predilection of some members to utilize grandiloquent aphorisms as the exclusive means of dissipating their scholarly mehu-mehu, being unmindful of the wanton discombobulation such actions evokes on the diminutive comprehensive capabilities of an illiterate suya seller like me and possibly our OP, is rather unbecoming of them.

The likes of Dede and Jakumo pls desist from aggravating the em. . .
I am completely knackered, flabbergasted, and gobsmacked by the pedantic level at which you have displayed your superior sagacity to the topic at hand. While noting that a mere suya man like you, has arisen to the excellent mastery and display of grammar; a mere acquiescent being like myself, humbly wish to apply under your pedagogy in order to succinctly express big vocabulary and be inferred to as a grammar pundit.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Secretz(f): 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2009
Pataki:

I am completely knackered, flabbergasted, and gobsmacked by the pedantic level at which you have displayed your superior sagacity to the topic at hand. While noting that a mere suya man like you, has arisen to the excellent mastery and display of grammar; a mere acquiescent being like myself, humbly wish to apply under your pedagogy in order to succinctly express big vocabulary and be inferred to as a grammar pundit.

LMAO. grin
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by ifyalways(f): 8:04pm On Jun 02, 2009
rofl @Topic
Doyin and 4play too are guilty.Jakumo never ceases to crack me up.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by blacksta(m): 8:24pm On Jun 02, 2009
big grammer that cant pay mortgage or utility bills

Useless people.  With all the PHD they still remain broke and busted.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Secretz(f): 8:52pm On Jun 02, 2009
blacksta:

big grammer that can pay mortgage or utility bills

Useless people. With all the PHD they still remain broke and busted.

Now that is funny and more often than not, very true. grin
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by chiogo(f): 9:07pm On Jun 02, 2009
blacksta:

big grammer that can pay mortgage or utility bills

Useless people. With all the PHD they still remain broke and busted.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

@topic, it's natural for some though, they're just that intellectual but yes, some people need to cut down on all that. It's just a forum. lol
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by TOYOSI20(f): 9:09pm On Jun 02, 2009
ifyalways:

rofl @Topic
Doyin and 4play too are guilty.Jakumo never ceases to crack me up.

LOL!!. . . .nawa oo. . . cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by KnowAll(m): 9:16pm On Jun 02, 2009
Jakumo
More significantly, teeming hordes of Nigerian worshippers would be free get up off their knees where they had been immobilized in prayer like so many wildebeest, so as to re-engage their cognitive functions and get on with the many responsibilities and challenges of real life, rather than waiting in vain for the nirvana offered at great monetary cost in the afterlife by those rapacious "Men of Dog", who themselves know of no other occupation that stealing from the poor to finance their own lives of lavish consumption.

The above write up is a very brillant write up very imaginative and up there with the dons of English

I have always said the Nigerian intelligentisia are the best English writers in the world and we as a nation should be proud of it. Do you know the best spanish nation in the world is the spanish spoken in Colombia, I used to think is the spanish spoken in spain.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by loyeruope: 9:31pm On Jun 02, 2009
This thread cracks me up. Thumbs up to you all.
More seriously, though, I think the culprit is our proclivity to confuse incomprehensibility with depth.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by freed(m): 10:19pm On Jun 02, 2009
I have always said the Nigerian intelligentisia are the best English writers in the world and we as a nation should be proud of it.

be proud? if thats how an english man or our professeurs spoke to us none of us here will be here today. Its all about communicating not big words.

ole Soyinka at a conference used so many supersized words that most people in the audience couldnt understand even a white man sitting next to me kept asking me what he was saying throughout.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by savanaha: 10:22pm On Jun 02, 2009
freed:

be proud? if thats how an english man or our professeurs spoke to us none of us here will be here today. Its all about communicating not big words.

ole Soyinka at a conference used so many supersized words that most people in the audience couldnt understand even a white man sitting next to me kept asking me what he was saying throughout.

Hahahhaaaa grin
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by C2H5OH(f): 10:23pm On Jun 02, 2009
freed:

LAHMAHOOOOO grin grin

All the suyaing and peppersoupin' never end.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by ElRazur: 10:30pm On Jun 02, 2009
I just don't see the need to confuse my opponent, or audience with unnecessary words. My aim around here is to post in clear and concise manner. That way the points I am making are readily understood and helps with the flow of the debate.

If people see the need to prove themselves by posting big words, then they clearly ain't impressing the likes of me. I put more emphasis and importance as to what the person is saying and how effective their communication approach is, not by using big words. Meh! My two cents.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by vanitty: 10:38pm On Jun 02, 2009
Lol that video still cracks me up everytime i hear it.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by KnowAll(m): 10:43pm On Jun 02, 2009

ole Soyinka at a conference used so many supersized words that most people in the audience couldnt understand even a white man sitting next to me kept asking me what  he was saying throughout.

Because the language is the English man's mother tongue does not give him or her a perogative to the language. Most English people probably use less than 10% of the English vocabulary in their day to day conversation. Learning a language is a skill that no human being has a comparative advantage. If a yoruba man wants to learn Igbo there is nothing stopping him or her to be more erudite than a native Igbo. It is the level of intrest u commit to the study of the language. Whilst most English people dont speak more than 10% of the vocabulary Wole Soyinka might be on about 25% vocabulary level hence the professor not understanding Wole Soyinka.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Jun 02, 2009
ElRazur:

I just don't see the need to confuse my opponent, or audience with unnecessary words.

This statement I have a problem with.

When you are up against some of our native dingbats on here, it is, majorly, to your advantage that you do all you can to confuse them, so they eventually move on, or understand that they are most likely trying to tackle someone not of their caliber.  grin. I mean, I try not to do this myself, as I do enjoy the back and forth more times than not, but if you notice, the said dingbats rarely go after our "local grammar champions" on here.

Once you drop that grammar bomb, you almost immediately notice that the nairaland "dingbats" come back at you with no tangible rebuttal, but insults and meaningless yammering, which is usually indicator that you hit some nerve or someone is seriously confused and trying hard to appear "wise".
grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by C2H5OH(f): 10:52pm On Jun 02, 2009
vanitty:

Lol that video still cracks me up everytime i hear it.

That video is an instant classic. Unforgettable, memorable, pure comedy.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by ElRazur: 10:53pm On Jun 02, 2009
Yeah Kobo, that is a valid observation. I can count at least five or so poster that fits into that profile. lol
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Pepeye(f): 10:57pm On Jun 02, 2009
Basically English is all about communicating fluently and with ease
Anything else is a matter of communication skills malfunction wink
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by freed(m): 12:10am On Jun 03, 2009
Because the language is the English man's mother tongue does not give him or her a perogative to the language. Most English people probably use less than 10% of the English vocabulary in their day to day conversation. Learning a language is a skill that no human being has a comparative advantage. If a yoruba man wants to learn Igbo there is nothing stopping him or her to be more erudite than a native Igbo. It is the level of intrest u commit to the study of the language. Whilst most English people dont speak more than 10% of the vocabulary Wole Soyinka might be on about 25% vocabulary level hence the professor not understanding Wole Soyinka.

all this one na long story angry
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Jarus(m): 6:48am On Jun 03, 2009
@kobo, na true yarn o! Make i go learn big vocabs 2 be bombing my co-debators with on NL , lol
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by nuraabi: 3:07pm On Jun 03, 2009
igodomigodo

lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by youngies(m): 3:24pm On Jun 03, 2009
Jakumo cannot be touched. He is simply an artist, who paints pictures with his words
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by JeSoul(f): 3:30pm On Jun 03, 2009
ROTFLOL . . .  grin I don laff lie!  cheesy   
The poster has a point. We have both extremes on NL, those who can't write a sentence void of error and those who can't write a sentence without showing off their mastery of dictionary.com.

KnowAll:

ole Soyinka at a conference used so many supersized words that most people in the audience couldnt understand even a white man sitting next to me kept asking me what  he was saying throughout.
  Amen!

Pataki:

LOL   grin
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Sagamite(m): 3:43pm On Jun 03, 2009
ElRazur:

I just don't see the need to confuse my opponent, or audience with unnecessary words. My aim around here is to post in clear and concise manner. That way the points I am making are readily understood and helps with the flow of the debate.

If people see the need to prove themselves by posting big words, then they clearly ain't impressing the likes of me. I put more emphasis and importance as to what the person is saying and how effective their communication approach is, not by using big words. Meh! My two cents.

My god, this grammar too much for me o. El Razur chill now, some of us no go school o. grin grin grin tongue
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Sagamite(m): 3:50pm On Jun 03, 2009
Men, this thread got me cracking up especially the Senator and Mai Suya one. I wan laugh die.

The Senator (what a prat) has created his own language called Obahiagbonese.

Here is transcript of the interview just in case you struggled to hear or follow him (which I will not blame you for):

Bosede: Welcome to NTA live from the national assembly… honorable Patrick Obahiagbon …also known as igodo migodo. You are welcome, sir.

Obahiagbon: The pleasure is mine, Bosede

Bosede: so, how are u today?

Obahiagbon: Very good. In a proper order. Very ready. Always ready for parliamentary work.

Bosede: I know you were at the Edo state house of assembly. So how has your experience in the state assembly prepared you for the challenges of the national assembly?

Obahiagbon: Fantastic. Don’t forget I did 8 years at the Edo state house of assembly and by the grace of the don apticate of the universe, that opportunity has assisted me colossally in dotting the parliamentary “I s” and crossing the legislative “T s” and has put me in good speed for the due discharge of my parliamentary onnus probandi ……, because when you examine the relationship between parliament at the state level and parliament at the national assembly, the difference, if any, is one of a twoodledum and twidlydim, little or no difference.

The only difference of course being that, whereas in the state house of assembly you only impact on a micro pedestal plane, at the national assembly, you are talking at a macro level. So if you ask me, there is a dialogical rapport between parliament at the state level and parliament at the national level. It is one of a micro cossum in a macro cossum.

So in a nutshell, I want to say that my experience in serving as a legislator for 8 years, and my experience when I was leader of the Edo state house of assembly for 4 years, put me certainly in good speed for this assignment at the national level.

Bosede: Is that why you have been a vibrant member of this national assembly as it were?

Obahiagbon: Partly yes. Partly yes. It is terra ferma for me and not terra incognita. It is familiar to me and once you were ceased of the muances of parliamentary discourse and discobolus it follows therefore that it will be familiar to you too,  partly…but again, partly it is equally responsible…,  for the fact that you cannot succeed as a parliamentarian if you are not cosmopolitan. You must be prepared to immerse yourself in societal dialectics for you to be able to contribute efficaciously in a utilitarian modus.

So, if you are a parliamentarian and you don’t go through the ritual of even reading newspapers, you don’t bathe yourself in the aqua of the political cross currents, then you are going to be deuced, you are going to be paralytic in your contributions. So yes, my experience in the state of assembly has been responsible for my vibrancy in one breathe. At another breathe, my desire to perpetually entrench myself in political, social and intellectual currents have equally contributed in its own stead.

Bosede: So in essence, what challenge are you giving to your other colleagues?

Obahiagbon: Sactas Simplicitas. They must avoid regular big stouting , suyaing , big stouting and peppersouping. Those are not the real issues. They must be prepared to immerse themselves in societal dialectics. They must put their nose to the grind stone. Chief Obafemi Awolowo the ikene philosopher said the difference between me and my other colleagues, was that when my other colleagues are cavorting in the dark alleys, I am in my library working myself 19 to the dozen.

You cannot succeed in life if you are not disciplined. You must be puritanical in your
predisposition, you must engage in an exercise of self purification and mortification, you must engage in an exercise of self abnegation, you must engage in an exercise of spiritual emulation. You must discipline the flesh. You must conquer the flesh. You must allow the spiritual aspect of you preponderate the material aspect, especially when you have been chosen to represent the people. So that at the end of the day, you can really say: vendi, vidi, vicki

Bosede: what is the meaning of that?

Obahiagbon: I came, I saw, I conquered.

Bosede: Sir,just like I told you that you are vibrant contributor to debates on the floor of the house at times does it really bother you whether the people get to understand what you say because of those big big grammar.

Obahiagbon: Well, let me say that I have been maniatally bewildered, in the words of Peter Pan, “overghasted and flabberwhelmed” when I am confronted by people as to what they stigmatize as my verbabodical dimosophy gyrations .But let me use this opportunity to say that I have never set out…, I don’t deliberately set out to confuse my audience. Certain you want me to be dumb, when I talk, they just come, misuse less packadoo . I bet you don’t give what you don’t have, what I have, I give.

Bosede: So what is your parting word to Nigerians?

Obahiagbon: My parting word to Nigerians is to be patient with the president of the country President, Umaru Musa Y’aradua. I appreciate that a lot of people at this time are becoming very critical in assessing the president because they believe that 8 months is enough to chart a visionary trajectory. I share those sentiments, but at the same time, let us not forget that the country was in a state of economical quagmaya, political fantasmagorie and social stupor at the time the president came on board. So I appeal to Nigerians to be a little bit patient with him.

But at the same time, I want to appeal to Mr. President to see the victory in the cause as a wake up challenge, for him to leave the position of recupensy into one of recusansy. 8 months, people should be able to say “this is the direction of Mr. President”. 8 months, people should be able to say “Mr. President’s stance for this”. There is a difference between amiability; there is a difference between decency and activism. The president must leave his position of political, and social and administrative lethargy and take the driver’s seat.

As Mr. President, he drives, and others follow. So whereas I appeal to Nigerians to be patient with him, I equally call on Mr. President to ascend the challenges of governance, and he cannot do that except he take the driver’s seat as the political do edger, the political emir of trans Jordan, and the political major dobo, the buck………

Bleep me!!! What a waste of english, completely unnecessary. Stupid fool!
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 03, 2009
grin

@OP me too dey wonder oo!!

With all this BALANGA BOLANGA ENGLISH! cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by 1luvkipsus: 6:17pm On Jun 03, 2009
But on a serious note, all those words correct? If they are, then I bow for him.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by 1luvkipsus: 6:18pm On Jun 03, 2009
But on a serious note, all those words correct? If they are, then I bow for him.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by vanitty: 8:43pm On Jun 03, 2009
^ ofcourse not. I for one have never heard of "suyaing and peppersouping " in the english language before undecided
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by jamace(m): 1:46am On Jun 04, 2009
Don't mind nigerians. So so grammar but will never follow the grammar with concrete actions to make life enjoyable for nigerians. Those Stupid grammars are only meant to attract "Ghana Must Go" bags of money. sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari Diagnosed With Cancer - TheTrentOnline / Sule Lamido: Tyranny Fuels Mass Defection To APC / PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.