Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,810 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert (2977 Views)

Biafra: I Saw This In A South Eastern State Today(photos) / Eastern Consultative Assembly Elects Nnamdi Kanu As New Leader / South Eastern States And Their Natural Resources. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by stjudas(m): 9:54pm On Dec 11, 2015
A Consultant Gastroenterologist with the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba, Dr. Olufunke Adeniyi, has said that south-eastern soups are the most nutritious in Nigeria.

According to Adeniyi, South Eastern soups are usually prepared with rich vegetables and often cooked with little or no oil making them more nutritious and healthy compared to other traditional soups known to other parts of the country.

She said this at a one-day fortification workshop organised by Nestle Nigeria in Lagos.

Adeniyi said, “South-Eastern soups are very rich in micro and macro nutrients. Their soups contain a lot of leafy vegetables and so most of their children are not really micronutrient deficient.

“However, this is the challenge to those in other regions. For instance, parents in the South West need to improve the quality of food their children eat as a way of correcting nutrient deficiency.

“At least 25 per cent of Nigerian children suffer from vitamin A deficiency, the commonest cause of blindness in children under five years. Also, Nigeria falls into the zone that has severe iron deficiency anaemia.

“We thought iodine deficiency was not an issue, unfortunately, we are seeing some degrees of iodine deficiency. Recent figures show that 20 million babies are born per year with mental impairment due to iodine deficiency despite all the fortification that is still going on.”

The Chief Executive Officer, Nestlé Nigeria, Mr. Dharnesh Gordhon, who was represented by the Manager Corporate Communications, Dr. Samuel Adenekan, assured Nigerians that the company would not compromise its fortification policy which, he said was essential to the growth and development of children.

Adenekan said, “We have been tackling dietary deficiencies in Nigeria with our fortified food products. We are also committed to various initiatives to address the issue of malnutrition in the country especially among children and their mothers.”

SAUCE: http://www.punchng.com/south-eastern-soups-are-the-most-nutritious-expert/

1 Like

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by adonbilivit: 9:55pm On Dec 11, 2015
onugbu over ewedu.

3 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by Aromas: 9:58pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nutrition indeed!!!

1 Like

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by adonbilivit: 9:58pm On Dec 11, 2015
lalasticlala let them know. Amala over akpu sha

1 Like

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by henryutd(m): 10:03pm On Dec 11, 2015
Ora soup. shocked
Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by bokohalal(m): 10:06pm On Dec 11, 2015
The only thing that I have not heard a particular ethnic group boast of is that their D.ick is the biggest.

1 Like

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by Ezemust: 10:07pm On Dec 11, 2015
before nko

1 Like

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by undercurrent(m): 10:09pm On Dec 11, 2015
very rich in nutrients but tasteless.

Akwa Ibom/Cross River soup anytime.

2 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 11, 2015
Ofe akwu (banga) over fried red oil with pepper and Maggie white.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by Demmocrats(m): 10:11pm On Dec 11, 2015
undercurrent:
very rich in nutrients but tasteless.

Akwa Ibom/Cross River soup anytime.

My brother you haven't tasted Egwusi Soup.

7 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by stjudas(m): 10:12pm On Dec 11, 2015
Aromas:
Nutrition indeed!!!
Na Yoruba person talk am o....

9 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by babyfaceafrica: 10:14pm On Dec 11, 2015
Yimu...SS,SW then SE....calabar and akwaibom sabi this food business no be small,afang,edikankong,editan,afia efere,ekpang ndukwo...my yoruba gats efo riro garnised. With iru and pupa ati akan,also ila alasepo and egusi.thn comes my SE with nsala,agwu,okazi and olubu...the winner is SS...my opinion

3 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by gsport: 10:15pm On Dec 11, 2015
That is the real problem, south east everywhere you go,no 1 in many positive things business,.school,first class marriage institution. everything good first. Africa Israel God own people. go to any restaurant you will see south west people demanding igbo soup as tomorrow is brafra independence, even aboki we lead others fellow.

13 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by stjudas(m): 10:16pm On Dec 11, 2015
You've not tasted a bad soup if you've not eaten ofe mmanu from the other side of the country.

4 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by FruityLass: 10:16pm On Dec 11, 2015
Edikakong soup

All ofe s smiley

Banga smiley
Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by cheruv: 10:18pm On Dec 11, 2015
samflexx:
Ofe akwu (banga) over fried red oil with pepper and Maggie white.
gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by stjudas(m): 10:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
gsport:
That is the real problem, south east everywhere you go,no 1 in many positive things business,.school,first class marriage institution. everything good first. Africa Israel God own people. go to any restaurant you will see south west people demanding igbo soup as tomorrow is brafra independence, even aboki we lead others fellow.

Maybe that's why they throw spanners in the wheel of the Biafran Movement but they don't know they can get it at Shoprite when we start exporting them in packs....I trust my enterprising Mama Nkechi.

4 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by chinchum(m): 10:29pm On Dec 11, 2015
Abeg, Ewedu (Jews Mallow) is the richest ! Gbegiri, Efo-riro, Ila Alasepo(okra).
Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by cheruv: 10:30pm On Dec 11, 2015
Aromas:
Nutrition indeed!!!
Olufunke Adenīyi vu aha Ofei' grin
-ohá
-olugbu
-nsala
-egwusi
-okwuru
-utazzi
-abubo(ugu)
-ero
-akwu
-owerre

Pick your choice bro together with a wrap of akpu and enjoy the day bro! grin

NB: Echefukwala iji otu kalama mmanya hero saatuo ya grinwink

10 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by Herald47: 10:43pm On Dec 11, 2015
What of oil soup a.k.a ofe'mmanu

3 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by undercurrent(m): 11:31pm On Dec 11, 2015
Demmocrats:

My brother you haven't tasted Egwusi Soup.

I have. And mind you Egusi is not an exclusive soup of any tribe.
Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by Pavore9: 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2015
Missing Oha soup. cheesy
Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by mazzi: 11:49pm On Dec 11, 2015
We don't eat ewedu and gbegiri grin

1 Like

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by mazzi: 11:53pm On Dec 11, 2015
bokohalal:
The only thing that I have not heard a particular ethnic group boast of is that their D.ick is the biggest.
read the post and you will realize that the comment was made by your fellow ofemmmanu brother.

3 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by IGBOSON1: 11:54pm On Dec 11, 2015
gsport:

^^^Hehehehe grin grin grin

LOL@ South West demanding Igbo soup in restaurant! grin

2 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by mazzi: 11:55pm On Dec 11, 2015
cheruv:
Olufunke Adenīyi vu aha Ofei' grin -ohá -olugbu -nsala -egwusi -okwuru -utazzi -abubo(ugu) -ero -akwu -owerre
bro you got me laughing like mad!
Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by IGBOSON1: 11:59pm On Dec 11, 2015
cheruv:

Olufunke Adenīyi vu aha Ofei' grin
-ohá
-olugbu
-nsala
-egwusi
-okwuru
-utazzi
-abubo(ugu)
-ero
-akwu
-owerre

^^^Ofe Nsala (with chicken and pounded yam) is my favourite!....Especially if it's prepared by a well-grounded Onitsha or Asaba woman! smiley

1 Like

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 12, 2015
undercurrent:

I have. And mind you Egusi is not an exclusive soup of any tribe.

why are you like this. Why the hatred, yorubas are quick to call calabars when the issue of food props up. So the isi ewu and nkwobi taste bad but yet every nigerian eat it. What a hating hypocrite

Style of preparing eguisi is different. Yoruba eguisi soup is filled with red oil and lacks okazi, bitter leaf or other green vegetables and also the most important, 'stock fish'( oporoko), chai and yet you say igbo eguisi is not the best. Yoruba version of Okwuru is very irritating, they just grind the okro and boil it alone, then eat it with their mmanu, lol very lazy food inventors.
igbo food is the best. Take it or leave it, Even in south africa igbo soups are driving africans in south africa crazy not just nigerians. Yorubas are just jealous. It is their normal behaviour, enshrined in their dna. I dont like yoruba soups. How can u eat beans as soup Who does that? who ever invented that soup is very lazy and would like to inform that person that it is very irritating to eat. My yoruba friend once cooked it and i rejected it immediately i saw it. The taste is so wierd even for an african man.
Ever asked why igbos never eat yoruba food and yet yorubas queue to buy igbos food, not just yorubas, africans!

So mister man quit the attacks. We all know the truth.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:11am On Dec 12, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Ofe Nsala (with chicken and pounded yam) is my favourite!....Especially if it's prepared by a well-grounded Onitsha or Asaba woman! smiley

I agree with everything you said but chicken in nsala is like going against the culture....nsala shouldn't have anything more than cat fish and goat meat with hot pounded yam. Mind you,so have relatives in Asaba. Nobody cooks nsala more than Asaba,Ogbaru,Otu ocha and Onitsha.

3 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:16am On Dec 12, 2015
Igbo women run all the major Nigerian food restaurants all over Nigeria....And its for a reason. Nuf said. I don't need to mock or deride other tribes.

2 Likes

Re: South Eastern Soups Are The Most Nutritious----expert by porshuch: 12:16am On Dec 12, 2015
TRUE! OUR SOUP IS THE BEST IN NIGERIA.

NOT THAT STEW SOUP FROM THE WEST.ewedu ati stew ati amala.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Katsina State Total Vote Pix / Finally: Nnamdi Kanu Reaches Out To Yoruba Nation. Seeks Cooperation / Igbos In Lagos Attack Ifeanyi Uba Campaign Van With Satchet Water - VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.