Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,035 members, 7,814,533 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } (43396 Views)

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 7:09pm On Feb 13, 2016
In the figure below, the coefficient of static friction is 0.5. If the tension in the string is T, the acceleration of the system in motion is

A. 5 ms-2
B. 15 ms-2
C. 3 ms-2
D. 9 ms-2

C.C Geofavor, shyneptune, mathefaro, thankyouJesus cheesy

1 Share

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 13, 2016
Oxytocin:
In the figure below, the coefficient of static friction is 0.5. If the tension in the string is T, the acceleration of the system in motion is

A. 5 ms-2
B. 15 ms-2
C. 3 ms-2
D. 9 ms-2

I got 5ms-2 as the answer.

undecided

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 9:11pm On Feb 13, 2016
On a second solving I got 8.33ms-2 grin
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 10:08pm On Feb 13, 2016
ShyNeptune:

I got 5ms-2 as the answer.

undecided
Yhyh

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 13, 2016
Oxytocin:
Yhyh
lol. @Picture I hope that's not Me grin
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 2:15am On Feb 14, 2016
ShyNeptune:

lol. @Picture I hope that's not Me grin
No... Your doppelganger grin grin
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Geofavor(m): 7:28am On Feb 14, 2016
Oxytocin:

A. 5 ms-2
B. 15 ms-2
C. 3 ms-2
D. 9 ms-2

3kg = 30N = Fgrav = Fnorm

Ffric = U x Fnorm

Ffric = 0.5 x 30N = 15N

Fapp = Tension along the string = 6kg = 60N

Fnet = Fapp - Ffric = 60N - 15N = 45N

total mass of the system = 3kg + 6kg = 9kg

a = Fnet/M = 45/9 = 5ms-2

1 Like

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Geofavor(m): 7:37am On Feb 14, 2016
What force has to be exerted on a mass 60kg to give it an acceleration of 10ms-2 vertically upwards?
(g=10ms-2)

thankyoujesus, mathefaro, oxytocin, shyneptune.
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 8:10am On Feb 14, 2016
Geofavor:
What force has to be exerted on a mass 60kg to give it an acceleration of 10ms-2 vertically upwards?
(g=10ms-2)

1200N undecided ?
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Geofavor(m): 9:35am On Feb 14, 2016
ShyNeptune:
1200N undecided ?
yeah. Can you pls explain?
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 10:46am On Feb 14, 2016
Geofavor:

yeah. Can you pls explain?
lipsrsealed

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by mathefaro(m): 11:41am On Feb 14, 2016
Geofavor:
(g=10ms-2)

F = ma - mg ( -mg because the weight of the body is acting downwards as opposed the acceleration of the body) and g will also be negative since we're going against gravity, so it becomes
F = ma - m(-g)
F = ma + mg
F = m(a + g)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Geofavor(m): 12:30pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShyNeptune:

lipsrsealed
okay. Now I get why it was giving me a headache; I haven't read up to this part of motion.

So, tensional force it is. Thanks.

Mhen I still got a lot on my plate.
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 14, 2016
Geofavor:

okay. Now I get why it was giving me a headache; I haven't read up to this part of motion.

So, tensional force it is. Thanks.

Mhen I still got a lot on my plate.
Lol. You're welcome.

I think Mathefaro has a better and logical explanation smiley
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 1:07pm On Feb 14, 2016
I'm seeing things..
.. Still got some work to do.
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 14, 2016
Oxytocin:
I'm seeing things..
.. Still got some work to do.
Lol. The educational System in Nigeria is really bad... These things right here are basic things our secondary school teachers ought to have taught us long before now. But nope. Most of our teachers Are SSCE and ND holders who know not what they teach. Ideally an average student is supposed to score at least 250 in jamb while the good students are to hit scores like 390, 380, 370 etc..... but nope! What we see today are brilliant students scoring 250 and are jubilating. While the average students score 180 and so on.

It's really Lugubrious.

I had to quit school just so i'll learn physics at my own pace at home. And today I'm very glad I did so. I wasn't taught by any teacher. Everything I know today is as a result of self study.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by mathefaro(m): 3:35pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShyNeptune:

Lol. The educational System in Nigeria is really bad... These things right here are basic things our secondary school teachers ought to have taught us long before now. But nope. Most of our teachers Are SSCE and ND holders who know not what they teach. Ideally an average student is supposed to score at least 250 in jamb while the good students are to hit scores like 390, 380, 370 etc..... but nope! What we see today are brilliant students scoring 250 and are jubilating. While the average students score 180 and so on.

It's really Lugubrious.

I had to quit school just so i'll learn physics at my own pace at home. And today I'm very glad I did so. I wasn't taught by any teacher. Everything I know today is as a result of self study.
How I wish I could hit the like button for multiple number of time. Weldone bro, more power to your elbow.
Actually, the real problem is that nobody wants to become a teacher anymore, the best brains are always running after white collar jobs, engineering jobs, they all want to become doctors. Even most of the few ones presently in the field have their minds fixed on jobs with bigger and better pay elsewhere, as a result of these, majority of those we have there impacting the supposed future leaders are only there because of condition and not because of their passion for the job.
May God help us....

1 Like

Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 14, 2016
mathefaro:
How I wish I could hit the like button for multiple number of time. Weldone bro, more power to your elbow.
Actually, the real problem is that nobody wants to become a teacher anymore, the best brains are always running after white collar jobs, engineering jobs, they all want to become doctors. Even most of the few ones presently in the field have their minds fixed on jobs with bigger and better pay elsewhere, as a result of these, majority of those we have there impacting the supposed future leaders are only there because of condition and not because of their passion for the job.
May God help us....
You couldn't have said it any better....... you just hit the nail on the head. ....
@The bolded. That's 100% true.... The best brains are not ready to reach. While those who are teaching are absolutely nonchalant about their teaching Jobs.
Most of my seniors in secondary school who were not able to secure admission into higher institutions came back to the same secondary school as teachers just after their post utme. Some came back Teaching chemistry, some physics, some mathematics, some English etc

It's Pathetic!

We students are at the losing end!
embarassed
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Geofavor(m): 4:00pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShyNeptune:

It's really Lugubrious.
LOL.
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 4:03pm On Feb 14, 2016
Geofavor:

LOL.
grin
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by mathefaro(m): 4:03pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShyNeptune:

You couldn't have said it any better....... you just hit the nail on the head. ....
@The bolded. That's 100% true.... The best brains are not ready to reach. While those who are teaching are absolutely nonchalant about their teaching Jobs.
Most of my seniors in secondary who were not able to secure admission into higher institutions came back to the same secondary school as teachers just after their post utme. Some came back Teaching chemistry, some physics, some mathematics, some English etc

It's Pathetic!

We students are at the losing end!
embarassed
You see, that's what we're talking about, One can only teach what one knows, you can't give what you don't have, no matter how good you were in physics and chemistry in secondary school, there are some aspects you can't teach students...
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 14, 2016
mathefaro:
You see, that's what we're talking about, One can only teach what one knows, you can't give what you don't have, no matter how good you were in physics and chemistry in secondary school, there are some aspects you can't teach students...
Exactly! Well spoken typed.
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 9:21pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShyNeptune:

It's really Lugubrious.

Like seriously??@words in bold shocked
Respect bro cool
And yh, you are on point, most of those teachers are teaching just to keep up with their daily needs, the passion isn't there.
I can confidently say, I learnt all the math topics in secondary school myself,yh just me.
Thats physics aspect up there,we were just taught it's superficial in secondary school, which is definitely not supposed to be .

Most teachers limits students to only what he /she knows,which is affecting the prospects of students.
That's why as a student you need to be your limit, so as to be at your best.
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 1:22am On Feb 15, 2016
Oxytocin:

Like seriously??@words in bold shocked
Respect bro cool
And yh, you are on point, most of those teachers are teaching just to keep up with their daily needs, the passion isn't there.
I can confidently say, I learnt all the math topics in secondary school myself,yh just me.
Thats physics aspect up there,we were just taught it's superficial in secondary school, which is definitely supposed to be .

Most teachers limits students to only what he /she knows,which is affecting the prospects of students.
That's why as a student you need to be your limit, so as to be at your best.

Lolz 100000likes. grin
Yeah.... I stopped going to school. My mum was pissed at first but she Was cool with it after giving her reasons. wink
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 1:34am On Feb 15, 2016
ShyNeptune:

Lolz 100000likes. grin
Yeah.... I stopped going to school. My mum was pissed at first but she Was cool with it after giving her reasons. wink
Hmmm...
Que es fresco wink
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 1:50am On Feb 15, 2016
Oxytocin:
Hmmm...
Que es fresco wink
Lol... meaning? cheesy
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 7:54am On Feb 15, 2016
ShyNeptune:

Lol... meaning? cheesy
That's cool wink
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 8:15am On Feb 15, 2016
Oxytocin:
That's cool wink
oh que es fresco wink
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 12:05pm On Feb 15, 2016
ShyNeptune:

oh que es fresco wink
Lol
Sì sì
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 9:53pm On Feb 15, 2016
A toy engine as a mass of 350g exerts a driving force of 0.1N. With what acceleration could it climb a smooth slope with gradient of 1/98..i.e Sin#=1/98
(g=9.8m/s)
c.c ShyNeptune. Geofavor. thankyouJesus, mathefaro
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Nobody: 12:26am On Feb 16, 2016
@ oxytocin.
The angle I'm getting here is almost inconsequential.
So my plane still remains a flat surface. Don't know if I got the question right. undecided

Well, my answer is 0.2657ms-2 and I'm pretty sure it's not it. undecided undecided undecided
How come you said the gradient is equal to sin#?
But Graphically Gradient is equal to tan# cry
Re: 2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } by Oxytocin(m): 9:11am On Feb 16, 2016
ShyNeptune:
@ oxytocin.
The angle I'm getting here is almost inconsequential.
So my plane still remains a flat surface. Don't know if I got the question right. undecided

Well, my answer is 0.2657ms-2 and I'm pretty sure it's not it. undecided undecided undecided
How come you said the gradient is equal to sin#?
But Graphically Gradient is equal to tan# cry
Yhyh.. Sin#=1/98
So from F=Mgsin#
Mg(1/98)...Then you solve from there
I've actually gotten the ans...
Thanks anyway

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Male Hostel At The University Of Sule Lamido, Jigawa (Photos) / What Course Do You Regret Not Studying While In The University? / Ashley Ezeiyi, GOU Student Dies Months After Winning School Crown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.