Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,312 members, 7,811,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

What Is The Supernatural? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Supernatural? (4410 Views)

Commanding The Supernatural By The Power Of The Tongue / Where Do You Stand On The Supernatural? / Why Do People Ignore Or Fear The Supernatural? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Supernatural? by PastorAIO: 4:57pm On Jul 07, 2009
. . however as regards 'touch you' brilliance I think you should leave it to your wifey or girlfy to shew such brilliance. Me, I'm not interested in touching you anyhow not to mention brilliantly.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by PastorAIO: 5:09pm On Jul 07, 2009
m_nwankwo:
Divine guidance will always lead any soul that seeks for the Truth to the Truth. Human participation is not required. Stay blessed.
Pastor AIO:

What do you understand by the term genius?

This mention of divine guidance ties in with my question of what we understand by the term genius.  Often we say that certain people are geniuses but is that right.  Perhaps what we should be saying is that they have genius or they have access to genius.  The etymology for genius is as follows . . .

Etymology

In Ancient Rome, the genius was the guiding or "tutelary" spirit of a person
, or even of an entire gens, the plural of which was 'genii'[7]. A related term is genius loci, the spirit of a specific locale. A specific spirit, or dæmon, may inhabit an image or icon, giving it supernatural powers.
A comparable term from Arabic lore is a jinn, often Anglicized as "genie". Note, however, that this term is considered a false friend, not a cognate by most Anglo-American anthropologists. Recent work by Russian, Romanian, Italian and a few American linguists may return the word to cognate status.[citation needed]
For more information on these etymological roots, see Genius (mythology).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

Me, I believe that information can be received and is often received from spiritual sources.  This is what I understand as genius.

earlier when I first joined Nairaland I got into a discussion in which I said that a christian cannot be mediocre at what he does.  That raised a lot of eyebrows.  I still believe that when one's spirit is awakened they exhibit abilities above and beyond what is physically capable.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:09pm On Jul 07, 2009
But why do we not take our African Traditional religion as seriously as the oyinbo ones, personally the claims of amadioha are as outlandish as the biblical claims of Jesus.
Just why is the black race always trying to imitate?
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by PastorAIO: 9:59am On Jul 08, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

But why do we not take our African Traditional religion as seriously as the oyinbo ones, personally the claims of amadioha are as outlandish as the biblical claims of Jesus.
Just why is the black race always trying to imitate?
Pastor AIO:

The answer to this question is obvious as well as being simple and complex at the same time.

put these ingredients together: inferiority complex, Ambition, self-loathing, and superficiality - - - and you will get the soup that african religiousity is nourished on.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 6:05pm On Jul 08, 2009
seeklove:

The above is not always correct. Just because two people talks of the same concept doesn't mean that one of them got it from the other. All religions and sects in the world, at some point in there doctrine, have believes that are similar. This does not qualify the hastily assumption that they got it from each other.
If somebody writes about the sun in Nigerian and another writes about the sun in America. You don't conclude that one got his idea from the other; could also be that both wrote from their personal experience since both can see and experience the sun from their locations.
In school I always ague with colleagues who think that ancient Incas, Mayan, and the ancient Chinese stole their civilization from ancient Egypt, just because both cultures built pyramids. I know this is off topic but it is a similar thought pattan
Besides, I have read so many books by Tibetan lamas, I have read more than five books by T Lobsang Rampa; at the moment I am reading the Grail message, and the reincarnation and karma that Tibetan lamas talk about is not exactly what the Grail Message talks about.
Ie, some Buddhists and Hindus believe that a humanbeing can reincarnate as an animal. But, to the best of my knowledge, the Grail message teaches that humans can only reincarnate as humans. I can go on and on about the differences.

Perhaps you should read the Buddism's holy books proper. Buddist ideas are thousands of years old. They cover everything from reincarnation to how our thoughts interact with the unseen universe. The Grail Message is a modern book and the ideas in it are already covered in Buddism, extensively, even if the autjhor plays with semantics and changes terms. I'm a Christian. There are Christians who believe every single word in the Bible is sacred, that God wrote it all himself via divine secretaries or something. But while the Bible's message is divine, it's a human and flawed document. If I have no trouble criticizing the holy book of my faith, I can certainly point out the striking similarities between Buddism and a book by a modern author. Why nwakwo should take exception to that, especially since he's not read any Buddist literature, is beyond me. Grail's ideas are extensively covered in the various Buddhist literature, and if he has a problem with that, that will have to remain his own affair.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 6:27pm On Jul 08, 2009
Pastor AIO:

The answer to this question is obvious as well as being simple and complex at the same time.

put these ingredients together: inferiority complex, Ambition, self-loathing, and superficiality - - - and you will get the soup that african religiousity is nourished on.

Come on. You can't just leave something tantalisingly half-said. Explain a bit more.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:10pm On Jul 08, 2009
Mad_Max:

Come on. You can't just leave something tantalisingly half-said. Explain a bit more.
I tire oh my sister.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by seeklove: 10:33pm On Jul 08, 2009
Mad_Max:

Perhaps you should read the Buddism's holy books proper. Buddist ideas are thousands of years old. They cover everything from reincarnation to how our thoughts interact with the unseen universe. The Grail Message is a modern book and the ideas in it are already covered in Buddism, extensively, even if the autjhor plays with semantics and changes terms. I'm a Christian. There are Christians who believe every single word in the Bible is sacred, that God wrote it all himself via divine secretaries or something. But while the Bible's message is divine, it's a human and flawed document. If I have no trouble criticizing the holy book of my faith, I can certainly point out the striking similarities between Buddism and a book by a modern author. Why nwakwo should take exception to that, especially since he's not read any Buddist literature, is beyond me. Grail's ideas are extensively covered in the various Buddhist literature, and if he has a problem with that, that will have to remain his own affair.

Still this does not prove that the author of the Grail message got his ideas from Buddhism. There are also ideas in the bible that is similar to some ideas in Buddhism and Islam. Now would you conclude that Christianity got their ideas from Buddhism.
I have told you that I have read allot about Buddhism and Hinduism and at the moment I am reading the Grail Message. Eventhough the both talk about reincarnation, their explanation of it is not the same. The Grail Message is not that similar to Buddhism. I will give you more examples:
1) Buddhism encourages meditation as essential for spiritual development, the Grail Message does not.
2) Buddhism encourages vegetarianism as essential for developing compassion, the Grail message does not.
3) Buddhism believes in Nirvana(the state dissolving ones personality and merging with the creator) , the Grail message does not.

If you can please list the similarities between the Grail message and Buddhism that justifies your accusation, I will appreciate it.
Thanks
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by PastorAIO: 11:02am On Jul 10, 2009
Mad_Max:

Pastor AIO:

I wish I could find a link to an interesting program with Chinua Achebe in it where he spoke about the process through with people were converted in igboland and how it affected their minds. Children were literally taught (brainwashed) into looking down on the traditions of their parents. It wasn't even done subtly.

Inferiority complex because Abrahamic religions require that it's adherents look down on all non adherents. First it's the Jews on the Gentiles (dogs) which gets inherited by the Christians and the Muslims to despise what isn't theirs. When they come into contact with other cultures a face off inevitable ensues. If the Christians blink first then the foreign cultures will just dismiss christianity as an oddity, but the if the foreign culture blinks first then it will succumb to the christian/muslim worldview in which it is considered inferior and evil.

Ambition because christianity and Islam came with imperialism. Converted Christians became the go betweens between the imperial powers and the native population. As such they gained from being involved in all the trade. In the new imperial system those who were equipped to progress within the system, ie. those who had the education of the imperial masters, became superior to the other natives. It made more sense if one was ambitious to convert. All this was true of islam too, but the european imperialism overtook the islamic one.

Self loathing was taught to them in schools. Afterall when you look down on your father you are inevitably looking down on yourself.

Superficiality because it was not so important that the religion is properly understood but rather that one just went through the motions. Examples of this superficiality is obvious from translation of words and ideas from christianity/islam to the native language. How did the ancient yoruba understand the Christian Satan? Is Esu really Satan? Esu had his place in Yoruba cosmology before christianity came. How did the way he was understood fit into christian cosmology? Is Allah really Eledumare? This can only happen if one's understanding of these deities is treated superficially.

There is more, but I am just painting in broadstrokes here.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 7:17pm On Jul 10, 2009
seeklove:

Still this does not prove that the author of the Grail message got his ideas from Buddhism. There are also ideas in the bible that is similar to some ideas in Buddhism and Islam. Now would you conclude that Christianity got their ideas from Buddhism.
I have told you that I have read allot about Buddhism and Hinduism and at the moment I am reading the Grail Message. Eventhough the both talk about reincarnation, their explanation of it is not the same. The Grail Message is not that similar to Buddhism. I will give you more examples:
1) Buddhism encourages meditation as essential for spiritual development, the Grail Message does not.
2) Buddhism encourages vegetarianism as essential for developing compassion, the Grail message does not.
3) Buddhism believes in Nirvana(the state dissolving ones personality and merging with the creator) , the Grail message does not.
If you can please list the similarities between the Grail message and Buddhism that justifies your accusation, I will appreciate it.
Thanks

Actually you told me you read Lampa's books. I read one of his books a long time ago. He was grousing, in a darling sort of way, about the thousands who write him and don't include postage. He was adorable, but the book seemed to be about his cat. Are his books extensive philosophical treatises? Which books on Buddism and Hinduism have you read exactly? Lampa may have written books, but he isn't the founder or originator of the ideas on Buddism. His books are the equivalent, for Christians, of Adeboye or Jakes or Creeflo or Meyer Hagin's books; they're adherents of the religion, but they aren't its founders nor do they invent its philosophy. I may have been too young to understand his books though.
Which books did you read on Buddism?

Are those the major ideas in the Grail Message? Those are unimportant details. The major ideas are karma, reincarnation, thought forms, and other stuff. Are you implying I'm saying Grail copied and pasted from Buddism textbooks or what? His book can't be a mirror image of Buddist doctrines, can it? I've told you exactly what ideas the book copied and tweaked. And a note on an unimportant detail; Not all schools of thought on Buddism think alike; like any other religion they have doctrinal differences; There are Buddhist sects that do eat meat. Some Buddist sects believe in gods, others teach that life and existence itself is an illusion,a dream within a dream, and we create our gods and our afterlife experiences. Honestly, its a fascinating religion.

So Buddism says people reincarnate as people, animals and rocks, but Grail says people only reincarnate as people? How original. And the idea of reincarnation itself comes from where? Grail's author invented it? And the teachings on thoughts and the invisible universe; he originated those, abi? Oskar invented the ideas on rincarnation, karma, thought forms, and the world heard about those concepts for the first time when he published his book? Is that what you're saying? Those,among his other ideas, have been around for a very very long time. He merely modified them and added jara.

There's an interesting chapter in Magic and Mystery in Tibet where the author, a French scholar who brings a refreshing rationality to Tibetan Buddism, describes how she (she became a lama) created a being using just her thoughts. Yes, Lamas can do that. It took her several months. She stayed secluded and pictured a fat jolly monk in her mind until the creature appeared. And then she left seclusion and it followed her. Not only could she touch and feel its body,other people could see it. A servant bringing her tea asked if the monk with her would like some tea too. And people greeted him when they went out together. He came from her thoughts! She admits she couldn't control it, that it had a volition of its own, her creation. It would stop, look at where it was going, examine the distance,etc. Something very interesting happens. When she created him, she gave him full cheeks and a jolly face. But after a few months the face changed, became lean. She said his eyes grew mocking and malignant. Which gives me plenty of clues as to what happened there exactly. That's how advanced Tibetan Buddhists are in using thought forms. And Magic and Mystery in Tibet is an account of the woman's expericnes in Tibet in 1924!
Methinks you should stop wanting me to draw Buddist parallels with ecery single unimportant detail in Grail. Its major ideas are borrowed from various Buddhist philosophies, and 'Christianity' is modified to fit into that.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 10, 2009
There's an interesting chapter in Magic and Mystery in Tibet where the author, a French scholar who brings a refreshing rationality to Tibetan Buddism, describes how she (she became a lama) created a being using just her thoughts. Yes, Lamas can do that. It took her several months. She stayed secluded and pictured a fat jolly monk in her mind until the creature appeared. And then she left seclusion and it followed her. Not only could she touch and feel its body,other people could see it. A servant bringing her tea asked if the monk with her would like some tea too. And people greeted him when they went out together. He came from her thoughts! She admits she couldn't control it, that it had a volition of its own, her creation. It would stop, look at where it was going, examine the distance,etc. Something very interesting happens. When she created him, she gave him full cheeks and a jolly face. But after a few months the face changed, became lean. She said his eyes grew mocking and malignant. Which gives me plenty of clues as to what happened there exactly. That's how advanced Tibetan Buddhists are in using thought forms. And Magic and Mystery in Tibet is an account of the woman's expericnes in Tibet in 1924!

did the monk follow her back to France, and was he/it also visible there as the litmus test?
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 7:26pm On Jul 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I wish I could find a link to an interesting program with Chinua Achebe in it where he spoke about the process through with people were converted in igboland and how it affected their minds. Children were literally taught (brainwashed) into looking down on the traditions of their parents. It wasn't even done subtly.

Inferiority complex because Abrahamic religions require that it's adherents look down on all non adherents. First it's the Jews on the Gentiles (dogs) which gets inherited by the Christians and the Muslims to despise what isn't theirs. When they come into contact with other cultures a face off inevitable ensues. If the Christians blink first then the foreign cultures will just dismiss christianity as an oddity, but the if the foreign culture blinks first then it will succumb to the christian/muslim worldview in which it is considered inferior and evil.

Ambition because christianity and Islam came with imperialism. Converted Christians became the go betweens between the imperial powers and the native population. As such they gained from being involved in all the trade. In the new imperial system those who were equipped to progress within the system, ie. those who had the education of the imperial masters, became superior to the other natives. It made more sense if one was ambitious to convert. All this was true of islam too, but the european imperialism overtook the islamic one.

Self loathing was taught to them in schools. Afterall when you look down on your father you are inevitably looking down on yourself.

Superficiality because it was not so important that the religion is properly understood but rather that one just went through the motions. Examples of this superficiality is obvious from translation of words and ideas from christianity/islam to the native language. How did the ancient yoruba understand the Christian Satan? Is Esu really Satan? Esu had his place in Yoruba cosmology before christianity came. How did the way he was understood fit into christian cosmology? Is Allah really Eledumare? This can only happen if one's understanding of these deities is treated superficially.

There is more, but I am just painting in broadstrokes here.

Very interesting.
Will need some chewing on.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 7:31pm On Jul 10, 2009
Tibet became her home,I think. What did France have to offer a lama? She says the creature became troublesome and she had to dissolve it. But it didn't go without a fight, as it took six good months for her to get rid of it. It was enjoying its stay in Tibet! She herself wonders at the fact that others could see it, and wonders if it wasn't autosuggestion; that her mind impressed the image on other minds and they saw what she saw. It's also possible the thing was physically manifested.That's the pleasure of reading the book; she's an advanced Tibetan Master, but she's also a scholar and is always rational.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2009
Mad_Max:

Tibet became her home,I think. What did France have to offer a lama? She says the creature became troublesome and she had to dissolve it. But it didn't go without a fight, as it took six good months for her to get rid of it. It was enjoying its stay in Tibet! She herself wonders at the fact that others could see it, and wonders if it wasn't autosuggestion; that her mind impressed the image on other minds and they saw what she saw. It's also possible the thing was physically manifested.That's the pleasure of reading the book; she's an advanced Tibetan Master, but she's also a scholar and is always rational.

well, assuming she wasnt psychologically "prepped" for the actual monk's arrival beforehand.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2009
Read the book first before assuming she doesn't know what she's talking about.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 8:02pm On Jul 10, 2009
seeklove:

I just noticed this.Not the same thing at all. Religions do have some ideas in common,but each also has ideas that are its trademark and unique only to that religion. Karma and reincarnation are Buddhist signatures. Abi they're in Christianity and Islam?
The Grail Message is a 20th century book. You're talking as if it's a religion. Its author presents his ideas but he makes no pretensions to creating a religion,and its devotee here claims Christianity. Are you saying The Grail Message is not a book,it's a religion? Otherwise why compare a book to established religions? If Grail's a religion what's its religion called?
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 8:08pm On Jul 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Superficiality because it was not so important that the religion is properly understood but rather that one just went through the motions. Examples of this superficiality is obvious from translation of words and ideas from christianity/islam to the native language. How did the ancient yoruba understand the Christian Satan? Is Esu really Satan? Esu had his place in Yoruba cosmology before christianity came. How did the way he was understood fit into christian cosmology? Is Allah really Eledumare? This can only happen if one's understanding of these deities is treated superficially. There is more, but I am just painting in broadstrokes here.

I get what you mean. I particularly liked the part about the translation of 'foreign' deities into cultural counterparts that pre-existed the arrival of those religions. When a Yoruba animist says Esu, is he really referring to Christianity's Satan or Islam's Shaitan? Interesting question,man.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 10, 2009
Mad_Max:

Read the book first before assuming she doesn't know what she's talking about.

what's the name of the author or the book?

I read the entire lampa/third eye series when I was younger.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 8:26pm On Jul 10, 2009
Magic and Mystery in Tibet by Alexandra David-Neel. It's an old book though,and the woman's long dead. Died at the age of 101yrs. If you can't get it at bookstores,order from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Mystery-Madame-Alexandra-David-Neel/dp/0486226824

She's also the author of The Secret Oral Teachings in Tibetan Buddisht Sects, a must-read.
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Teachings-Tibetan-Buddhist-Sects/dp/0872860124/ref=pd_cp_b_1/177-6482759-2061046

I'm not advocating Buddhism, mind, but one should be acquainted with other religions;otherwise one really hasn't made a choice among them but is merely stuck from tradition or indoctrination or whatever.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by seeklove: 1:03am On Jul 11, 2009
Mad_Max:

Actually you told me you read Lampa's books. I read one of his books a long time ago. He was grousing, in a darling sort of way, about the thousands who write him and don't include postage. He was adorable, but the book seemed to be about his cat. Are his books extensive philosophical treatises? Which books on Buddism and Hinduism have you read exactly? Lampa may have written books, but he isn't the founder or originator of the ideas on Buddism. His books are the equivalent, for Christians, of Adeboye or Jakes or Creeflo or Meyer Hagin's books; they're adherents of the religion, but they aren't its founders nor do they invent its philosophy. I may have been too young to understand his books though.
Which books did you read on Buddism?

Are those the major ideas in the Grail Message? Those are unimportant details. The major ideas are karma, reincarnation, thought forms, and other stuff. Are you implying I'm saying Grail copied and pasted from Buddism textbooks or what? His book can't be a mirror image of Buddist doctrines, can it? I've told you exactly what ideas the book copied and tweaked. And a note on an unimportant detail; Not all schools of thought on Buddism think alike; like any other religion they have doctrinal differences; There are Buddhist sects that do eat meat. Some Buddist sects believe in gods, others teach that life and existence itself is an illusion,a dream within a dream, and we create our gods and our afterlife experiences. Honestly, its a fascinating religion.

So Buddism says people reincarnate as people, animals and rocks, but Grail says people only reincarnate as people? How original. And the idea of reincarnation itself comes from where? Grail's author invented it? And the teachings on thoughts and the invisible universe; he originated those, abi? Oskar invented the ideas on rincarnation, karma, thought forms, and the world heard about those concepts for the first time when he published his book? Is that what you're saying? Those,among his other ideas, have been around for a very very long time. He merely modified them and added jara.

Methinks you should stop wanting me to draw Buddist parallels with ecery single unimportant detail in Grail. Its major ideas are borrowed from various Buddhist philosophies, and 'Christianity' is modified to fit into that.

The ramper book that you might be talking about is "Living with the Lama"

Mad_Max:

I just noticed this.Not the same thing at all. Religions do have some ideas in common,but each also has ideas that are its trademark and unique only to that religion. Karma and reincarnation are Buddhist signatures. Abi they're in Christianity and Islam?
The Grail Message is a 20th century book. You're talking as if it's a religion. Its author presents his ideas but he makes no pretensions to creating a religion,and its devotee here claims Christianity. Are you saying The Grail Message is not a book,it's a religion? Otherwise why compare a book to established religions? If Grail's a religion what's its religion called?

Everything that you wrote here and in the upper post is completely wrong.
First, reincarnation and karma are not trademark of Buddhism. These ideas(as you called them) have been known by various peoples for thousands of years before budism came into existence. The ancient Igbos believed in reincarnation and karma. Now tell me, did they get the idea from budism?
The ancient Egyptians, the ancient mayans, the Incas, and even some of the ancient Jews. Now I guess they all got it from budism.
Point of correction, reincarnation and karma are not mare ideas but reality almost in all religions of the world. These doctrines are the bedrock of most religions even if thy are not called reincation or karma; or even if they have slight variations. Did not the bible say that "you must reap what you sow." Now tell me is this not karma?
All religions of the world have basic ideas that are the the same, even a child knows this. But since you claimed its not so, I will give you examples:
(1) Monotheism --Both Christains, Jews and Muslim hold this view.
(2) Reward for goodness. (Strive to be good)- Almost all religions of the world teach this. Even ancient religions and paganism hold this view.
(3) Paradise/ heaven.- Almost all religions of the world teach this
(4) Hell/ or eternal damnation.-Christains, and Muslims
(5) Continuation of life after death. --Almost all religions of the world teach this. Even ancient religions and paganism hold this view.

I can go on and on and on. These ideas are the bedrock of all worlds major religions. So you are here to tell me that they all coppied it from each other. Tell me that the ancient Igbos copied there belief in reincation and karma from Buddhism.

The Grail message is a book not a religion. I maintain that it is wrong for you to say the the author of Grail message got his ideas from Buddhism. These ideas(as you called them) have been in existence in various forms in countless cultures as long as man has been on earth. Even some early Christains believed in reincarnation. Research on the Gnostic Christians. Actually it was during the council of Nicea(June 325 AD) that the Church fathers voted for the doctrine of reincarnation to be removed from Christianity. Please are you going to tell me that the Gnostic Christians got the idea from budism?

Please read the infor of this link, and tell me if the early Christians go their idea from Buddhism too.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen06.html

You asked what book I read on budism. I read Ramper when I was in Nigeria. Here in America I had a classmet, a Chinese who is a Buddhist. He did almost everything to convert me to Buddhism, He gave me books, He talked to me, He taught me how to meditate and I have visited their temple many times. I am still in touch with him, perhaps I will invite him to this forum. My wife's mother is half black American and half Indian. She is a Hindu, actually my wife was raised a Hindu but turned Christian at eighteen. See, I am very familiar with with eastern religions.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by MadMax1(f): 5:36pm On Jul 13, 2009
Reincarnation and karma have been known for thousands of years, before the advent of Buddism. Do you have some proof of this, or am I supposed to just take your word for it? And since reincarnation and Karma are Buddhist terms, by what terms were these concepts known, by what people, 'thousands of years ago?
As for the similarities in religious concepts, that's a given. They have ideas in common, they also have ideas that set each apart and is unique only to them. I mentioned what set Buddism apart from Christianity and Islam, you mention what they had in common, as f that was the point and that changes the fact that each religion has core doctrinal differences. Even the same religion has chisms in ideas. You also continue to talk of Grail as if it were a religion,pointing out similarities between religions to #show# its ideas aren't borrowed.
Even if Buddhist ideas were flying around 'thousands of years ago', we are in the present, are we not? Grail wasn't written 'thousands of years ago, it was written in the 20th century, a time when each religion has well-defined religious and philosophical boundaries. There is no confusion. We know what ideas belong where. In the time since the amorphous 'thousands of years' ago, each religion is well-drawn. So Grail cannot have got reincarnation from 'thousands of years ago'. The author would have to be alive thousands of years ago to claim the attitudes and ideas of his times. We're in the present. I have no idea where you get the information on what the Ibo peoples believed in thousand of years ago, as there are no written records of ANY African peoples that date , much less thousand year old sociological documents. Historians know little about Africa's past. There is no way anyone can claim to know what a tribe thought thousands of years ago.

Grail was written in modern times, when the major religions are established, when everyone knew what belonged where. The themes and central ideas in his book has been covered by Buddhist texts hundreds of years old. This is something so obvious and so evident to anyone who's read extensively on Buddhist thought and philosophy, that I am amazed to be having this discussion at all. You still haven't told me exactly what
Buddhist religious and philosophical texts you've read. Please feel free to think what you like about where a modern book got its ideas and treatment on thought forms,past lives, and karma and reincarnation from,among other things. I'm weary arguing the very very obvious.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by PastorAIO: 11:33pm On Jul 22, 2009
I think this short video clip will greatly contribute to any understanding of what is supernatural.

http://perceivingreality.com/

I've put in on a number of other threads.  I don't want anyone to think that I'm becoming obsessive-compulsive (we have enough of those on this forum already) but I think it is a really good exposition.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by seeklove: 5:52am On Jul 23, 2009
Mad_Max:

Reincarnation and karma have been known for thousands of years, before the advent of Buddism. Do you have some proof of this, or am I supposed to just take your word for it?

Dude, do your research. Hinduism is older than Buddhism. Hinduism believes in reincarnation and karma. Also, for your information, reincarnation and karma were already believed in India before Gautama Buddha was born.

The ancient Egyptians believed in reincation, they recorded their beliefs. They ex sisted before Buddhism.

Mad_Max:

I have no idea where you get the information on what the Ibo peoples believed in thousand of years ago, as there are no written records of ANY African peoples that date , much less thousand year old sociological documents. Historians know little about Africa's past. There is no way anyone can claim to know what a tribe thought thousands of years ago.

Dude, the Igbo before Christianity believed in reincarnation. Up-till today, non-Christian or traditional Igbos still believe it. I am Igbo. Go and ask any Igbo person you know. In my village, when a child is born they will perform a ritual called igba agu from which they will tell who the child is, IE who has reincarnated as the child. They still do it today. This is not a claim. It is still practiced today by Igbo pagans. Tell me that they stole if from Buddhism.

Mad_Max:

Grail was written in modern times, when the major religions are established, when everyone knew what belonged where. The themes and central ideas in his book has been covered by Buddhist texts hundreds of years old. This is something so obvious and so evident to anyone who's read extensively on Buddhist thought and philosophy, that I am amazed to be having this discussion at all. You still haven't told me exactly what
Buddhist religious and philosophical texts you've read. Please feel free to think what you like about where a modern book got its ideas and treatment on thought forms,past lives, and karma and reincarnation from,among other things. I'm weary arguing the very very obvious.

You are weary of making false claims. If you have problem with the Grail Message or its author, sort it out. Don't come here and make false claims that he got he plagiarized Buddhism.

Also "reincarnation" is not a buddist term. It is an English word. Founders of Buddhism did not speak English.

Also goggle "reincarnation" and you will see that it has been in existence thosands of years before Buddhism.
I quote wekepedia:

[Quote]
Belief in reincarnation has ancient roots. This doctrine is a central tenet within the majority of Indian religious traditions, such as Hinduism (including Yoga, Vaishnavism, and Shaivism) and Jainism. The idea was also entertained by some ancient Greek philosophers. Many modern Neopagans also believe in reincarnation as do some New Age movements, along with followers of Spiritism, practitioners of certain African traditions, and students of esoteric philosophies such as Kabbalah, and Gnostic and Esoteric Christianity. The Buddhist concept of Rebirth although often referred to as reincarnation differs significantly from the Hindu-based traditions and New Age movements in that there is no unchanging "soul" (or eternal self) to reincarnate
[/Quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation

The Greek philosophers, the Hindus, and the practitioners of certain African traditions as mentined above did not copy it from Buddhism.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by seeklove: 6:12am On Jul 23, 2009
@ mad_max
Sorry to call you dude. I did not notice you were female.

If you think that I am lying about the Igbos belief in reincation check out these links:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/life_style/article12/indexn3_html?pdate=130609&ptitle=Man+In+Traditional+Igbo+Thought&cpdate=170609

Also check out wekepedia:

The Igbo believe in reincarnation. People are believed to reincarnate into families that they were part of while alive. Before a relative dies, it is said that the soon to be deceased relative sometimes give clues of who they will reincarnate as in the family. Once a child is born, he or she is believed to give signs of who they have reincarnated from. This can be through behavior, physical traits and statements by the child. A diviner can help in detecting who the child has reincarnated from. It is considered an insult if a male is said to have reincarnated as a female.[134]

Children are not allowed to call elders by their names without using an honorific (as this is considered disrespectful). Children are required to greet elders when seeing them for the first time in the day as a sign of respect and good upbringing. Children usually add the Igbo honorifics Mazi or Dede before an elder's name when addressing them.[135][136]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo

Goggle "igba agu" or ask any Igbo person who knows his culture what "igba agu" means. Also it not only the Igbos, various tribes in Africa believe in reincarnation before they converted to Christianity or Islam.
They did not copy it from Buddhism.

Reincarnation is the bedrock of the ancient Egyptian religion.
They did not copy it from Buddhism.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by skydancer: 7:03am On Jul 23, 2009
Hold on a second! Who said Igbos do not believe in reincarnation. shocked shocked shocked My great grand mother reincarnated in my uncle's child. We are still listening for the after effects.
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by seeklove: 2:35am On Aug 05, 2009
skydancer:

Hold on a second! Who said Igbos do not believe in reincarnation. shocked shocked shocked My great grand mother reincarnated in my uncle's child. We are still listening for the after effects.

Thank you
Re: What Is The Supernatural? by skydancer: 3:34pm On Nov 29, 2009
You're welcome!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Roman Catholicism, Mary And Idolatry / Islam Is GOD Almighty's Original Religion To All Of Mankind / Download 47 Free Ebooks & Mp3 Audios By Kenneth E. Hagin On Faith, Healing,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.