Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,521 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   (54970 Views)

NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills / Nigeria Labor Congress Protesters Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tarrifs / Prof Osinbajo – Nigerians Should Expect Higher Electricity Tarrifs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by JohnriskyMe0071: 3:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
Ok
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by vafusoho: 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2015
alright
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by nogames: 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2015
Lakeshizu:
You guys should take time to read the news, it will do you good.
which kind do you good? give everybody prepaid meter so that we can have control over what wd spend on electricity

6 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by TheFreeOne: 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2015
At KwhR2 - Rate:= N13.21(IKEDC) does it make sense to add N8 though less the fraudulent service charge

Why cant these discos provide prepaid meters for all before enforcing this policy.

When a govt keeps defrauding her people whither hope for justice

6 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2015
I hope this brings remarkable change as promised.
I believe in the Minister and hopeful that better days are coming for Nigerians...
BTW gotta reduce electricity consumption, thank God for prepaid meters

3 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by anonimi: 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2015

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by free2ryhme: 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
grin

Fashola is working

APC is changing

Nigerians are crying

5 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Omotall(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
end time
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by gennykdb(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
Read before u comment trash....dis is a welcome development...removing d monthly fixed charge will do ur pocket a lot of good...so u pay for only wat u use...

6 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Habayomie(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
My Dad's house,residence oh! was charged #27,473.85k for the month of November(last month)
imagine,just a mere salary earner o.

3 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by goshen26: 3:04pm On Dec 21, 2015
Change!!!!!!
We are watching
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by pat077: 3:04pm On Dec 21, 2015
i happy d fixed charge has been removed.

2 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Annunaki(m): 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2015
OldJohn:
Nobody seems to follow the rule of law any more

This comes less than a week after the House of Representatives asked NERC to STOP plans to increase electricity tarrifs.

The house of reps does not have the power to stop NERC from reviewing tarrifs. Meanwhile this is a very good development, I don't know how Nigerians want improved power supply yet are not willing to pay for it.

4 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by anonimi: 3:06pm On Dec 21, 2015
Vikmoks:
I hope this brings remarkable change as promised.
I believe in the Minister and hopeful that better days are coming for Nigerians...

Which Minister do you believe in, bro?
I hope it is not the one involved in the FRAUD described below =>

Fashola visited Toronto earlier this year to inspect the TTC trains.

The Lagos deal would be the first of its kind for the TTC. Decommissioned cars are usually sold for scrap metal and can fetch up to $1,500 dollar each. While Ross declined to discuss specific figures, he says the sticker price for Lagos is "significantly more" than scrap prices, putting the potential profits to the TTC in the millions of dollars. shocked

It is not unusual for technology from western nations to end up in poorer countries. Marketplaces in Africa and Asia are flooded with North American clothes, computers, and even cars, but the purchase of larger technology like trains is rarer.

The cars will have to be significantly refurbished to fit existing infrastructure in Lagos, and some Nigerian media reports have lamented that the government appears to have settled on "tokundo," or used, trains instead of brand new vehicles.

Although half the cars are more than 30 years old, Ross is adamant they are perfectly safe and are only being decommissioned for capacity reasons. But he also admitted the TTC is not required to make sure the cars meet any safety standards before selling them.

"Once sold, it's up to the new operator to ensure they are in good working order," he said. "They do need to be maintained much more frequently than the new trains, simply because of their age. At some point they will run out their useful life."

Murtaza Haider, director of the Institute of Housing and Mobility at Ryerson University, said the age of the cars is definitely a cause for concern.

"We should be ensuring that there is some service life left in these vehicles and we're not going to be playing havoc with the lives of those who would ride these vehicles," Haider said. "There's metal fatigue, and that metal fatigue could result in dangerous conditions. I would be paying a close watch on this for the next ten years to see how many accidents do happen in Lagos."

More from: https://nowtoronto.com/news/next-stop-nigeria/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/986954_227085_217133764973083_1665116_n_jpg748f7881e9a4a7029d746ce618b9e883

www.nairaland.com/attachments/986970_226204_217133461639780_436735_n_jpg881704f0a82d9e191193a6cb576f8d24

* In January 2013, i.e. some two years after the Toronto visit, our "excellent" former governor said the trains will be ready by June, i.e. five months after the unsolicited statement, based on his inspection & assessment of work done so far at the time =>

Lagos light rail’ll be ready in June – Fashola
JANUARY 9, 2013

The Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday said the first phase of the state Blue Light Rail project would be completed by June this year(2013).

He expressed confidence that Lagosians would start enjoying the services of the lrail project immediately.

The first phase would run from Marina and terminated at Okokomaiko area in Ojo Local Government.

Fashola spoke during an inspection of ongoing projects in the state which took him and his cabinet members to Orile-Iganmu, Alimosho and Ejigbo areas among others to assess the level of works being done by contractors.

The governor, who inaugurated the trackwork of the blue light rail at Alaba Suru, Coker-Agunda Local Council Development Area, said the level of work on the road and those of the National Theatre and Alaba-Mile 2 rail stations, would ensure early completion

He said, “In order to finish the project, the contractor did not go on vacation during the festive period. This will ensure that the project is delivered on time for the use of Lagosians.

More from: http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-light-railll-be-ready-in-june-fashola/

* Last year, our fine-boy-no-pimples former Misita Gomina confessed he had already spent a whopping sum of N160 billion on the light rail that was supposed to be in use since June 2013. Depending on the exchange rate he used that could be $1 billion to $1.2 billion spent shocked

How We Spent N160bn World Bank Loan on Light Rail Project
11 Sep 2014
He, therefore, explained that the state government already “has in place, strategies to repay the loan. The federal government was in the know of the state’s decision to take the bond and it approved it.”

He added that the truth “is that what they do not also say is that no state in Nigeria can borrow money outside, from any multilateral agencies without the approval of the federal government.

“What they did not say is that they approved it. No state can raise money by bond the way we have done without the federal government’s approval. Both SEC and NSE are all federal regulatory agencies through which we must pass. If they said okay, it means there must be something good about the debt.

More from: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-how-we-spent-n160bn-world-bank-loan-on-light-rail-project/188736/

As of today, we nor see train, even sef all the billion, billion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ don disappear enter Toronto. We prayer be sey make dem nor turn around small time sey na bad business like the N8 billion Sunborn floating hotel angry angry

In fact the new governor, Ambode now dey tell us sey na to restructure the financing and delivery will be in 18 months time. Laakulilai, we don suffer finish in the hands of these SCAM masters and smooth operators => embarassed

Why I reached out to Igbo voters –Ambode, Lagos APC governorship candidate
APRIL 4, 2015
When is the light rail going to be delivered, the project seems to be going on for years?

I just said it, it’s being funded by Lagos State and the Federal Government support is not there. But I believe strongly that we will create a financial restructuring that will allow us to deliver that light rail within the next 18 months.

More from: http://www.punchng.com/feature/hotseat/why-i-reached-out-to-igbo-voters-ambode-lagos-apc-governorship-candidate/

Una wey sabi financial management small go know sey the man just dey tell us sey money don finish dem must BORROW plenty $$$$$$$$$$$ loan again to have any hope whatsoever of using the trains in 18 months lohun lohun far away longest time!
Can anyone reconcile the fact that the federal government approved LASG's World Bank loan for this project yet the new governor dey spin us long tales of no federal support. He must think we are all baby pikins wey mama fit tell FAKE tory angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by goshen26: 3:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
[quote author=gennykdb post=41210322]Read before u comment trash....dis is a welcome development...removing d monthly fixed charge will do ur pocket a lot of good...so u pay for only wat u use...[/quote

As if they (phcn) bring wat u use as bill, the only way I can believe it as a welcome dev. is them making prepaid meter available

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by christopher123(m): 3:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
When you have a bunch of people that disregard court order what do you expect

You voted change ....this is it

Savour it....pls where can I get fuel again ?
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by AwesomeRomeo: 3:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
undecided
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by tempest01(m): 3:08pm On Dec 21, 2015
H
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Koleman(m): 3:08pm On Dec 21, 2015
fixed charges gone? hallelujah!!! finally
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by goshen26: 3:11pm On Dec 21, 2015
anonimi:

Which Minister do you believe in, bro?
I hope it is not the one involved in the FRAUD described below =>

www.nairaland.com/attachments/986954_227085_217133764973083_1665116_n_jpg748f7881e9a4a7029d746ce618b9e883

www.nairaland.com/attachments/986970_226204_217133461639780_436735_n_jpg881704f0a82d9e191193a6cb576f8d24

* In January 2013, i.e. some two years after the Toronto visit, our "excellent" former governor said the trains will be ready by June, i.e. five months after the unsolicited statement, based on his inspection & assessment of work done so far at the time =>

* Last year, our fine-boy-no-pimples former Misita Gomina confessed he had already spent a whopping sum of N160 billion on the light rail that was supposed to be in use since June 2013. Depending on the exchange rate he used that could be $1 billion to $1.2 billion spent shocked

As of today, we nor see train, even sef all the billion, billion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ don disappear enter Toronto. We prayer be sey make dem nor turn around small time sey na bad business like the N8 billion Sunborn floating hotel angry angry

In fact the new governor, Ambode now dey tell us sey na to restructure the financing and delivery will be in 18 months time. Laakulilai, we don suffer finish in the hands of these SCAM masters and smooth operators => embarassed

Una wey sabi financial management small go know sey the man just dey tell us sey money don finish dem must BORROW plenty $$$$$$$$$$$ loan again to have any hope whatsoever of using the trains in 18 months lohun lohun far away longest time!
Can anyone reconcile the fact that the federal government approved LASG's World Bank loan for this project yet the new governor dey spin us long tales of no federal support. He must think we are all baby pikins wey mama fit tell FAKE tory angry
he was even able to kip his nysc shoe
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Funjosh(m): 3:11pm On Dec 21, 2015
Kikikikikikikiki grin grin grin. I laugh in Kuvuki grin

Tomorrow will make it a week since I saw Electricity last tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by iliyande(m): 3:13pm On Dec 21, 2015
gennykdb:
Read before u comment trash....dis is a welcome development...removing d monthly fixed charge will do ur pocket a lot of good...so u pay for only wat u use...
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Koolking(m): 3:15pm On Dec 21, 2015
Have seen commendable improvement in power supply in my area. Since Thursday last week, it's almost like constant (with just like 10mins blackout). I welcome the increment provided the supply is improved.

I would love Minister Fashola to deal with Estimated billings. This is the biggest fraud in the system. Majority of Lagosians are victims of this fraud. You pay 100% more than this proposed increase in tariff.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by akinsbaba2015: 3:16pm On Dec 21, 2015
We will get there gradually, the scrapping of the fixed charges is quite commendable and the fact that you only pay what you consume. With a prepaid meter it's a win-win situation

4 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by femi4: 3:17pm On Dec 21, 2015
koboko69:
Ekpas ....food is ready!

Una wey go leave tv on go work come back, halogen light, security light, any kind of light for day time. Una go off am by force now.

I have seen mass distribution of prepaid metres...and its for free...even installation.

This will reduce the unnecessary power wasted at particular periods
You can only do that if you have steady power supply
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Samakus(m): 3:18pm On Dec 21, 2015
This is a welcome development. As an employee in the utility industry, I know how distraught I normally feel when customers come to me to complain bitterly about fixed charges.

Cool!

3 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by sankolo84: 3:18pm On Dec 21, 2015
This development should go along with free distribution of prepaid meter to electricity consumers

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Chanchit: 3:19pm On Dec 21, 2015
This is the best news I've received this month.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by columbus007(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2015
Well I don't think it's bad,that is if d increment no go tear pocket undecided

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by kjhova(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2015
The proposed MYTO1 and MYTO2 agreement under which NERC is carrying out this tarrif increase also has the flip side which stipulates supply thresholds for the DISCOs. So why is NERC so diligent with the tarrif increment (this is the third increament in 3 years or so) yet feeble with enforcing the distribution volume threshold?

Without tangible proof of improvement in electricity distribution by the DISCOs up to the agreed threshold, this increase in tarrif is immoral and unjustifiable.

5 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by onunwa21(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2015
Thank God, I didn't contribute to this change

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Onnoghen Leaves Court After CCT Banned Him For 10 Years / Photo Of Fela In Bandages After Severe Beating By Army / APC Presidential Rally: Ilorin Residents Reject Buhari, Sweeps Off Bad Luck Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.