Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   (54973 Views)

NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills / Nigeria Labor Congress Protesters Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tarrifs / Prof Osinbajo – Nigerians Should Expect Higher Electricity Tarrifs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by iliyande(m): 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2015
agog:

the rates of increase is high and what we end up paying is higher than when there's fixed charges.

yeah but better for those that don't even see the light at all but force to pay for nothing and those that can economize their electricity consumption rate.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by nogames: 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2015
This is not fair at all, most time phcn send 800 units to my 3 bedroom aprt at the rate of 13.5 per unit, this is amount to N10800 plus 750 and vat the total is around 12k. Now with the increase , rate per unit will be 13.5+8= 21.5 ¤800=17200 +850 (vat) = 18K plus. We need prepaid meter

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Rexyl(m): 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2015

charges.
Similarly, the burden of N800 and N750 fixed charges would be lifted off the shoulders of Kaduna and Benin electricity consumers. These consumers will see an increase of N11.05 and N9.26 respectively in their energy charges.”
This comes less than a week after the House of Representatives asked NERC to stop plans to increase electricity tarrifs.

point of correction, not only Kaduna and Edo states are paying the fixed charges. If not all states, Oyo state is not left out.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by sweatlana: 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
Bevista:
That's fine by me, as long as prepaid meters are available. Scrapping the fixed charges is also a welcome development.

As long as people only pay for what they actually consume, Nigerians should learn to pay the right price for a service. That is the only incentive for investors to commit their funds for long term improvement of the sector.

The telecoms model is a good example of how appropriate pricing stimulates service, competition, jobs - and ultimately - lower prices.
What remains for u zombies is for Buhari to open nyash for u people to lick undecided

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by badonkadonk: 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
suxkill:

I thought You've concluded that i didn't read the news(story) If you can't comprehend what i wrote,don't quote me again.
Dude.. I only asked a question!
Buh it appears u have issues with your reasoning faculties.
Keep walking anyway....
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2015
Samakus:
This is a welcome development. As an employee in the utility industry, I know how distraught I normally feel when customers come to me to complain bitterly about fixed charges.

For people that didn't grasp the full implications of this new tariff plan, here's a simple explanation. By the scrapping of fixed charge regime, energy consumers will only have to add #11, 10 or 12 naira to what their current charge is. For instance, if I used to be charged #2000 per month (fixed charge included), I will now be charged #1350 + 11= 1361. It means that NERC removed 700 from consumers billing and added 11. This new arrangement will no doubt benefit holders of prepaid accounts more than postpaid.

Cool!
Wrong bro..let me explain...
Pls pardon me as I am typing from mγ phone...

Let's assume your init charge for R2 was #12.50k ....if #9 is added...then it will be #21.50k....this willl be your new taffif...I.e..#21.50k........

How to calculate your bill...
Assuming your consumption is 100 unit....
Previously,your calculation was.....100 unit time(x) #12.50 plus(+) 750(fixed or maintaince charges plus(+) vat = monthly charge.....

Since there is increament in tarrif from assuming from 12.50....to 12.50 + 9=21.50...then Your new calculation would be ....assuming your consumption is 100unit(new reading_minus(-) old reading)...

100 time(x) #21.50 plus(+) vat= new monthly charges...
Note that the tarrisf on your current charge would have increased from e.g 12.50 to 21.50.....but the maintainance/fixed charges of #750 have been removed....
Hope you guys understand ....tthe figures are just assumption...you can substitute your old and new terrif there to get your current bills

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by TheFreeOne: 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2015
agog:

the rates of increase is high and what we end up paying is higher than when there's fixed charges.

Its nothing short of fraud.

I wonder how the masses will cope from January 2016.

- Increment in power tariffs
- Banning of "I better pass my neighbour" generator
- Reintroduction of tollgates
- Removal of fuel subsidy
- Increment in taxes
- Freefall of Naira
- Looming loss of jobs
- Reduction in civil servant wages
- Inflation e.t.c

Its so unfortunate that the CHANGE people seek has turned into CHAINS.

3 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Ladipodeal: 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
If you read through the news and you've been monitoring your bills like I do, I think this is good news for consumers.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Bevista: 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
agog:
Correct. But the reality is that we've been paying subsidized prices all along. The current pricing represents market realities.

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Samakus(m): 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2015
TheFreeOne:

The scrapping of fixed charge is good but NERC need to explain in details what they mean by those increments.

It could as well mean additions to present charges per kwh.

You're right. That's another angle to look at it from.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by nogames: 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
iliyande:

yeah but better for those that don't even see the light at all but force to pay for nothing and those that can economize their electricity consumption rate.
is only better for them if they have prepaid meter. Ikeja electricity charges 13.5 per unit. Now plus increase of N8 new charge per unit is N21.5 imagine you consume 500 units. You bill will read 21.5¤500 =10,750 (excluding vat) instead of 13.5¤500=6,750 + 750 (fix charge)=7,500 (excluding vat)

2 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by femifemo123: 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
suxkill:
No light, yet they have finally increased the bill!!!

I am patiently waiting for the new bill with my Ak47.
Who dash you ak47? abi you be arm robber ni? shocked
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by vision2022: 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
They carry the fixe charges to tariff, so they did not remove any fixe charges rather they increase it more. The more you look they less you see. 419

2 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Bevista: 4:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
sweatlana:

What remains for u zombies is for Buhari to open nyash for u people to lick undecided
I was hoping you were going to offer a different perspective to my comment. But, typical of low self esteem people, you throw abuses instead of sound argument - in the hope to feel better with yourself.

2 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by gentle007(m): 4:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
suxkill:
No light, yet they have finally increased the bill!!!

I am patiently waiting for the new bill with my Ak47.

Lol... I feel u broda

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Samakus(m): 4:04pm On Dec 21, 2015
TeOwl:
please... he checked well Mr Man. My friend in Lagos Island (3 bedroom house) has received N22,000 bill... NOT total due just current charge plus fixed charge and VAT!

I received N15,300 bill for a two bedroom house in August... so please, they have been bring crazy bills to my house since December 2014.

Wow! I haven't heard a claim of such outrageous monthly charge in our Disco.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by ollyruffy: 4:05pm On Dec 21, 2015
Truely APC has scammed Nigerians. This was one of their campaign points during the elections. They criticize PDP govt of only increasing tarriff without increase in power supply.

APC is also doing same thing they accused PDP for.

We are watching.
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Skain(m): 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2015
So after paying for darkness all this years and what we get in return is increased billing... SMH

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by tankoy: 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2015
No one uses prepaid meter in my local govt. Reason? PPmeter not available for sale. So what? Flat rate continues, N6000 per month. And you get les than 150hrs of electricity in a month.

Thats my country... You pay for what you never used, and the govt slashes ur pay. No one, i mean no where to report to.

2 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by jideflows(m): 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
If u pay ur light bill regularly u wont see anything wrong.. that fixed charge was so crazy.. that the 8h is more than what I use a month.. I have to recharge every month for the fixed charge not to accumulate. ..its a welcome development..... nice one...

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
With Fashola on board,Nigerians should not expect free and easy rides.

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by BABANGBALI: 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
Time to relocate to Benin republic where things including toto are cheaper and better
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by tankoy: 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2015
Samakus:

Wow! I haven't heard a claim of such outrageous monthly charge in our Disco.

N6000 per month in my LGA
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Dewze(m): 4:09pm On Dec 21, 2015
So this means my #2000 a month estimated charge will now be #5000 a month, with no increase in power. Unu do well O!

WE WANT PREPAID METER!!!
GIVE UP PREPAID METER!!!

How come Fashola did not say anything about distribution of prepaid meter. How come nobody is asking why?

WE WANT PREPAID METER!!!
GIVE UP PREPAID METER!!!

...and while you are at it, cancel off all those old debts on our bills. . They are only intimidation tools in the hands of "NEPA" staffs.

3 Likes

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 21, 2015
Samakus:
This is a welcome development. As an employee in the utility industry, I know how distraught I normally feel when customers come to me to complain bitterly about fixed charges.

For people that didn't grasp the full implications of this new tariff plan, here's a simple explanation. By the scrapping of fixed charge regime, energy consumers will only have to add #11, 10 or 12 naira to what their current charge is. For instance, if I used to be charged #2000 per month (fixed charge included), I will now be charged #1350 + 11= 1361. It means that NERC removed 700 from consumers billing and added 11. This new arrangement will no doubt benefit holders of prepaid accounts more than postpaid.

Cool!
Wrong bro..let me explain...

Let's assume your init charge for R2 was #12.50k ....if #9 is added...then it will be #21.50k....this willl be your new taffif...I.e..#21.50k........

Previously,your calculation was.....100 unit time(x) #12.50 plus(+) 750(fixed or maintaince charges plus(+) vat = monthly charge.....

Since there is increament in tarrif from assuming from 12.50....to 12.50 + 9=21.50...then Your new calculation would be ....assuming your consumption is 100unit(new reading_minus(-) old reading)...

Note that the tarrisf on your current charge would have increased from e.g 12.50 to 21.50.....but the maintainance/fixed charges of #750 have been removed....
Hope you guys understand ....tthe figures are just assumption...you can substitute your old and new terrif there to get your current bills
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by suxkill: 4:14pm On Dec 21, 2015
badonkadonk:

Dude.. I only asked a question!

Buh it appears u have issues with your reasoning faculties.

Keep walking anyway....

So you expect me to answer your question, after you've concluded that I didn't read the news.
Your sense of reasoning is shallow kid.

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by tunde1200(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2015
Samakus:

Cool!

this is my thought too which means is welcome development
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by dele55: 4:17pm On Dec 21, 2015
gennykdb:
Read before u comment trash....dis is a welcome development...removing d monthly fixed charge will do ur pocket a lot of good...so u pay for only wat u use...
How do you pay for what you use when about half of consumers are not supplied prepaid meter.

1 Like

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by suxkill: 4:19pm On Dec 21, 2015
gentle007:

Lol... I feel u broda

grin
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by jice(m): 4:19pm On Dec 21, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
wailers are wailing

Your problem is blind following. How is this beneficial to either you or any? Putting it in the right perspective, this development has only taken N750 from my bills and added an estimate of N5,000. What net effect without up to 25% supply of power.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by tunde1200(m): 4:19pm On Dec 21, 2015
really?

akthedream:

You are very very wrong...imagine a so called employee in the utility industry..smh..
Let me explain...

Hope you guys understand ....tthe figures are just assumption...you can substitute your old and new terrif there to get your current bills....
Re: NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   by suxkill: 4:20pm On Dec 21, 2015
femifemo123:

Who dash you ak47? abi you be arm robber ni? shocked

Your fada money dey miss dude?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Smugglers Abandoned Their Bikes And Bags Of Rice In Ogun Bush / APC Presidential Rally: Ilorin Residents Reject Buhari, Sweeps Off Bad Luck Pics / Photo Of Fela In Bandages After Severe Beating By Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.