Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? (33722 Views)

"How My Husband Left Me One Month After Marriage" - Nigerian Lady Cries Out / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 23, 2015
All newly married couple needs to be left alone by there single peeps ..it just the fact of life alow them to enjoy their hooneymoon some peeps honeymoon last 6month some 2years ..after the enjoyment of been alone with ther patner they wil cum back to u .dont be so angry they left just acept them back that life ..asuming they where governor and came back to u to be their special assitant or minister to so and so ..will u reject them ...smh
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 23, 2015
SarahGee:
I wish I knew a better way to rephrase this question. You have seen many married people slowly cut ties with their single friends. Is it just natural that they instantly cease to have things in common or is it a society expectation? It is common among ladies. Some friends even cut ties with their friends once they have a boyfriend! Common b o y f r i e n d !!!

Some own’t even invite their single friends to their weddings or when they do, the single ones are made to wear a different type of asoebi as though they are wild animals that the wedding guests should be cautious of

I guess single people are really wild animals.

I wouldn’t be asking if I haven’t been a victim. A friend of mine got engaged 7 months ago and I was busy turning up and down for her. Her wedding is this coming Saturday and I noticed last night that she’s no longer on my BBM. I feel I don’t deserve it cos I respect people’s space a lot. No matter how close we were before you got hitched, I would respect your privacy once you start a family. I have never ever gone to the house of a married friend on my own volition and I am also quick to turn down invites once I sense that you are inviting me because you feel obligated to. Phone calls or chats once in a blue moon will do for me but there are still friends that will avoid any form of communication with you but run for advice from you as a single person that knows nothing when things get a bit rocky in their marriages. Some even go as far as looking for married friends pen pals on blogs and social networks like they didn’t make their bed.

Since this is now the in-thing, my new motto is ,”Cut the engaged ones off before they cut you!”

http://naijasinglegirl.com/why-do-people-abandon-their-single-friends-after-marriage/

You intend to remain single for the rest of your life, so shall it be. angry
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by coldcandy: 9:31am On Dec 23, 2015
some women, when they get married, feel some guilt about their former wayward lifestyles.
most times the married lady avoid her single friends cause they remind her of the escapades they did while single. they don't want them spilling the beans (accidentally) when the hubby is around.
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by 400billionman: 9:32am On Dec 23, 2015
SarahGee:

Amen oooo grin

Are you the naijasinglegirl ?
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by 400billionman: 9:48am On Dec 23, 2015
Shinelle:
To answer your question. . it's society..

agreed some claim there are less common topics to discuss in meetings and all but cmon. . .
Alot get to meet bad friends cos most are forced relationships ... lol

or else... do people just separate from their job seeking friends simply because they got an offer?

Yes, some job offers wont even afford you time for family talkless friends..
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by shollyBi(m): 9:50am On Dec 23, 2015
Specialbaby:
no i will rather be your semi

Hahaahahaha grin
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Bollinger(m): 9:59am On Dec 23, 2015
Pidggin:

"Minimize your interaction with single folks" This statement is disturbing. It doesn't matter if they are responsible or not, as long as the person is "Single" married individuals should not associate with him/her right? Don't you think this is discrimination? This is exactly what the OP's friend is doing to her. She is throwing away years of friendship because of her new status, at some point, after the excitement wears off, she will reach out to her again. The OP needs to move on from this kind of association as it is not based on sincerity or love. A single person today may be married tomorrow, a married person today may be a widow/seperated/divorced tomorrow, discriminating against someone based on marital status is quite shallow.

Again you misunderstand. You seem to want to see or hear what you want. I hope for your sake that you are not married because you are courting with avoidable problems. Like it or not, people of like minds move together. That is how it is, and that is how it will always be. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of conversations they would have. Their priorities and interests would be different, so what could they have to talk about? And just so you'd know, marriage is not a status; it is a responsibility which has to be managed carefully.
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by tivta(m): 10:11am On Dec 23, 2015
Only childish people do such. All my married friends still hold me in high esteem.
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by tivta(m): 10:17am On Dec 23, 2015
loops 'seems like it is mostly females that suffer such' well am not surprised, after messing up big time in the past...
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Spanner4(m): 10:18am On Dec 23, 2015
FILEBE:

guy! U fumble jor. Wetin concern you for this thread now? Of all the who people wey comment for 1st page na you be the only guy. You wan follow fly enter suya fire.

Lol, my manest man hw fr na
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Deldima(f): 10:40am On Dec 23, 2015
EfemenaXY:

SarahGee, the scenario you just described is so wrong and should never have happened. It just goes to prove that your "friendship" was never real to start with and you're better off without her.

Granted, friends with differing responsibilities can drift apart over time but on most occasions it happens slowly and naturally - not deliberately and certainly not the way you described what happened to you.

The important thing is having a common ground and great understanding between you both. Marriage isn't for everyone. Even I, as old as I am, have got different categories of friends. I've got some single friends, divorced friends, some going through separation, some newly wedded friends, and some who've been married for donkey years. The most important thing is having that understanding between you both.

Think of it this way: rather than lump your friends together, try and see which categories they fall under. Some of mine are absolute workaholics and career go-getters. These people are a great source of inspiration and knowledge base regarding sourcing career tips and advice. Others are stay at home mums / part-time working parents raising young families and have great ideas on how to combine / achieve that work-life/balance, etc.

So you see, there is no one size fits all. As long as there's understanding and a common ground to rub minds on, then there shouldn't be any problem. Only childish and insecure folks dump their single friends because they want to "avoid husband snatchers". That shows how much they undermine their partners (husbands) or perhaps are afraid of Karma getting even with them.

A man / woman who plans to cheat on their spouse will do so, irrespective of whether or not the single friends are dumped or not.

well said!! Thank u jare...
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 10:48am On Dec 23, 2015
Most of d times is d husband 2b dat usually corrupts dier fiance's mind. 'hey bae i dnt wnt 2b seeing u wt dat frnd of urs any more' maybe d guy dun gist d babe b4 nd d babe turn am down, or d babe will b a bad influence 2 his wife 2b. Bt which eva d case let it worth it.
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Emmydek(m): 11:05am On Dec 23, 2015
SarahGee:
I wish I knew a better way to rephrase this question. You have seen many married people slowly cut ties with their single friends. Is it just natural that they instantly cease to have things in common or is it a society expectation? It is common among ladies. Some friends even cut ties with their friends once they have a boyfriend! Common b o y f r i e n d !!!

Some own’t even invite their single friends to their weddings or when they do, the single ones are made to wear a different type of asoebi as though they are wild animals that the wedding guests should be cautious of

I wouldn’t be asking if I haven’t been a victim. A friend of mine got engaged 7 months ago and I was busy turning up and down for her. Her wedding is this coming Saturday and I noticed last night that she’s no longer on my BBM. I feel I don’t deserve it cos I respect people’s space a lot. No matter how close we were before you got hitched, I would respect your privacy once you start a family. I have never ever gone to the house of a married friend on my own volition and I am also quick to turn down invites once I sense that you are inviting me because you feel obligated to. Phone calls or chats once in a blue moon will do for me but there are still friends that will avoid any form of communication with you but run for advice from you as a single person that knows nothing when things get a bit rocky in their marriages. Some even go as far as looking for married friends pen pals on blogs and social networks like they didn’t make their bed.

Since this is now the in-thing, my new motto is ,”Cut the engaged ones off before they cut you!”

http://naijasinglegirl.com/why-do-people-abandon-their-single-friends-after-marriage/

Islam has answer to your question.
The answer is husbands'(boyfriends.lol) right to restrict wife
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by maryhaam(f): 11:50am On Dec 23, 2015
yomi007k:

eee yaa embarassed

Boy missed u too kiss
loool hugz
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by 400billionman: 11:52am On Dec 23, 2015
oslae:

Its not entirely true, most of them their parents/husband usually advice them to not associate with their single friends anymore undecided saying they are bad influence in there marriage. You can't really blame them for heeding to such. I usually give a little distance to my married friends although while some will be offended by it(friends indeed kiss kiss ) others will accept it just as it is. I usually don't blame any of them.

Do not blame the newly married ladies. Some girls do not know how to sift good advice from a bad one. A newly married lady will likely start discussing her new marriage as topic during gossips with her old friends who may start advicing her wrongly.
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by daveP(m): 12:23pm On Dec 23, 2015
Specialbaby:
The world is evil hence friends and foes are almost intertwined.

Due to cases of husband snatching,friends wickedness and dubious acts,i dont think a married woman would want to keep singles friends knowing fully well jealousy is the order of the day even if,then the friendship must be at arm length.

My opinion tho.hope it make sense.
it doesnt make sense.

You have a bestie from year 1 to year 3 or 4 when you wanna get married, then the attitude of seperation starts. Its crappy. The reason given in itself needs the sayer to listen to it again.

Why would one fear a bestie of SNATCHING your fiance/e? Does it mean the trust given to a bestie is empty afterall. Jealousy, yeah, but it simply butresses the fact that not many are calm/safe till they tie the knots, or till reception takes place, etc. Insecurity: you need to be assured of your partner's security/trust before you venture in.

I've been in these shoes with 2-3 ladies and they cut off. Are they indirectly saying that i'm very capable of ruining their jackpot to getting married? Laughable! Hearing the news of a wedding happening in a week's time and its your bestie, close frnd have said it all

Why i can still give slack for ladies-ladies, it still proves that two bestie ladies arent in full trust as two guys that are roomies but arent in agreement.
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 12:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
First off, my friendlist is just few, so cutting ties with the single brethren is just a no no. And i wouldnt advice my bride to be to cut ties with her friends either cuz there is a saying dat if you show me your friend, i will tell you who you are. Of course i will be getting married to a lady with a good upbringing and i expect her friends to be good too.. Unless i knw that my bride to be might be that nutty den she just has to cut ties with her nutty friends too wink
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by daveP(m): 12:52pm On Dec 23, 2015
From observation on comments so far, seems many are tilting blame to the husbands in the sense that they dont want her female friends around them. Is this congruence to the fact that men truly know deep down that 'the friendship kept by femalefolks are not genuine enough for a 100% trust'? This is based on comments read.

Not saying men are clean when we talk of friendship, but its a societal thing. Even ladies attest to it. Dangerous friends around.

Better have 5 diehard, true friends in 6years like cutehector says, than have a basketful with chameleon effects in a year.

This case is a sorry case. Proving foundations are weak.

Asoebi of bridal train is slightly out of taste to the bride's friend, cos of that Bidemi refuses to be part. Why, cos the bride insist they must wear it without adjustment. Is the bride feeling insecure? Bidemi knows her very well and knows why the bride stubbornly insisted. Hmm.

A look@ bridal trains these days might be a better way to extract the trust of the bride on her friends. Maybe that's why sisters, cousin full them these days.

Trust!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
a man/woman shall leave his/her family (aka friends) and cling to his/her wife/husband.
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by seaga: 11:52pm On Dec 23, 2015
If you are not loosing friends, you are not growing up
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by mikolo80: 5:24am On Dec 24, 2015
SarahGee:

abeg free them, come mowu marry make we sef no invite them
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by SarahGee: 8:57am On Dec 24, 2015
kaeforum:

You intend to remain single for the rest of your life, so shall it be. angry

I reject it in Jesus name and I rerun it back to the sender angry
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by ladycomfort(f): 10:02am On Dec 25, 2015
Evathyst:
With this your signature, every reasonable married lady who still wants to remain married should avoid you like plague.

Especially if their husbands have big d*ck! Lolz! Na joke o! tongue
. As from today henceforth people shall afford you like a plague. You shall be rejected in life. Stay away from my opinions comment or views on Nl. Oloshi
Re: Why Do People Abandon Their Single Friends After Marriage? by Whobedatte(m): 8:00am On Dec 27, 2015
Chommieblaq:

Best advice, it happened to me too. I had two close friends while growing, when is more more like ma sis cos we related buh wen she got married she just changed even change her line without telling me, this was a girl that I almost gave all I had, stood up for her, she practically lived with us, I just cut her off cos I don't have time for fools. After a long while she started calling me, tryna be friends again, inviting me over to her place, buh It can never happen, u can ditch our friendship for no reason n think u can rekindle it anytime u wants.
Ma oda friend, till date we still friends, waxing more strong. Am proud to have her as a friend.

Truth is our lives ain't tied together, buh I always give ma best, so anytime a friend tends to walk away, me I just disappear, nobody can say am faulty.
simple philosophy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Dream Of Death Anytime I Quarrel With My Wife. I Need Your Advice / Things A Female Should Never Do For Love / Hubby No Longer Wants To Kiss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.