Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? (15937 Views)

Has Lionel Messi Surpassed The Status Of Pele, Maradona Or Zidane? / Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? / Who Is More Skillfull Between Zidane And Ronaldihno? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Sauron1: 5:24pm On Jun 17, 2009
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1057273.html

More recently, the likes of Zico, Socrates and Ronaldinho have carried the standard as pure playmakers for A Seleção.

Argentina, too, has rich tradition of classic creators. Maradona is the best-known, although some consider Ricardo Bochini, of Independiente fame, to have been an even superior playmaker. An ungainly and inconspicuous looking footballer, the precision of his passes and his cat-like vision have afforded him legendary status in his homeland. He even lined up, in the twilight of his career, alongside Maradona in the semi-finals of Mexico 1986, in a sentimental gesture by coach Carlos Bilardo.

Who is still arguing Maradona wasn't a play-maker?
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by tkb417(m): 5:36pm On Jun 17, 2009
Who is still arguing Maradona wasn't a play-maker?
Biina is arguing grin
sawrry i didnt put Bochini in ma list of midfielders
he was one of the best in that world cup tho

Biina
i dont know how you see your games but in 1986, Valdano and Pasculli were the strikers for Argentina
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by biina: 5:40pm On Jun 17, 2009
tkb417:

Biina is arguing grin

Biina
i dont know how you see your games but in 1986, Valdano and Pasculli were the strikers for Argentina
I never said he was not a playmaker, I said he wasn't a great playmaker.

As to the games in 1986, how many games did Pasculli start in? and then you can tell us who was the second striker in the other games.
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Sauron1: 5:46pm On Jun 17, 2009
tkb417:

Maradona single-handedly won the world cup in 86.
It was him and 10 chumps on the field.
He scored 2 goals in the semis, a brace against England in the q/finals and a brilliant assist to cop the winner in the final.
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by tkb417(m): 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2009
I never said he was not a playmaker, I said he wasn't a great playmaker.

Seems some people don't know what it means to be a playmaker

Playmaker: A player in a sport with goals, such as a guard in basketball, who initiates offensive plays.

The playmaker conducts the orchestra of his team's attack. A key part of being a good playmaker is ball distribution. Running at defenses is not play making.
Playmakers play in the middle of the field, and not as supporting/shadow strikers. Their main weapon is their passing, and not their dribbling skills.
For example, in the current Barcelona team, Xavi is the playmaker and not messi.
Maradona was a great player, but was far from being a great playmaker

the above came from you
you were trying to say Maradona was a support striker
i can read and understand english mr biina

ok, now that we have both agreed that hes was a playmaker good
as for who was the greatest, maradona still ranks better than Zidane

do you know when Zidane was actively playing for France, he was the highest goal scorer for the national team behind Trezeguet and some goals better than Henry?
does that mean Zidane was a striker?
Its a known fact that Playmakers atimes score a lotta goals for their teams

not sure about the number of games Pasculli played but i know he was the second striker apart from Valdano
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by biina: 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2009
tkb417:

the above came from you
you were trying to say Maradona was a support striker
i can read and understand english mr biina

ok, now that we have both agreed that hes was a playmaker good
as for who was the greatest, maradona still ranks better than Zidane

do you know when Zidane was actively playing for France, he was the highest goal scorer for the national team behind Trezeguet and some goals better than Henry?
does that mean Zidane was a striker?
Its a known fact that Playmakers atimes score a lotta goals for their teams

not sure about the number of games Pasculli played but i know he was the second striker apart from Valdano
Pasculli played in only two games at the 1986 world cup. Maradona was the SS in the other 5 games.

My point about where playmakers play on the pitch is still valid, as you dont typically playmake from the SS position. Over his career Maradona has played as an SS, a trequartista and an AM, and given his great abilities, he has been the playmaker on more than one occassion.
My issue was with your earlier assertion to maradona's great playmaking based on the world cup. Maradona played predominantly as a deep SS in the 1986 world cup, and the fact that neither batista nor guitsi were the best creatively necessitated that maradona often picked up the ball deep and ran at defenses (a beauty to watch). A better display of his creative abilities was at the 1990 and 1994 world cup. One remembers maradona for taking on defenders at full speed and not for his killer passes.

The french national team often played a lone striker, with the trio of Zidane, viera and makelele in the middle. They got away with it as Trez was often unavailable for major tournaments, and when needing to field both trez and henry, the played henry as a false right winger.
I dont think Zidane was a great (like top 5, top 10) playmaker, but I feel he was a better playmaker than maradona, but maradona was obviously a better player.

When I think of great playmakers, the likes of Dr. Socrates comes to mind, with his ability to split open a defence with surgical precision.
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by jalether(m): 6:43pm On Jun 17, 2009
dayokanu:

Zidane won the world cup in 1998.

Maradona had support casts too at Argentina

biina:

Nobody has ever (and will ever) single handedly won the world cup. It is not possible to single handedly win a team sport.

that is the most rediuculous statements i have heard this year, for real

let me break the france 98 squad down for you,

in goal was the best goal keeper of the tournament Barthez
best and most valuable defender at that point in time (Thuram) alongside Desailly
Patrick Viera, of course his quality can never be questioned
Theiry Henry, what else can i say abt the igwe himself
Blanc, Deschamp, Petit, Lizarazu.
I just dont like making people look silly, now tell me the great player (s) argentina had in 86 apart from the great one himself
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by jalether(m): 6:47pm On Jun 17, 2009
Does anyone know how to upload video from youtube on here pls
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Sauron1: 6:52pm On Jun 17, 2009
jalether:

Does anyone know how to upload video from youtube on here pls

Post the url link, i will help you embed it.
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by biina: 6:53pm On Jun 17, 2009
@jalether
[ flash=485,380]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/NBpu-M6kXCk[/flash]
[flash=485,380]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/NBpu-M6kXCk[/flash]

You will have to remove the space before 'flash'. You can find the link to the video from the embed url
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by jalether(m): 6:53pm On Jun 17, 2009
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Sauron1: 6:56pm On Jun 17, 2009
Cheers, mate!!!
I don't know anyone that treads precise passes as much as Maradona did in his days.
He was in a different world. . . . . He puts those passes on your feet you don't even need to break stride.

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8&hl=en&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by allboyz(m): 7:19pm On Jun 17, 2009
for me . .i think Zizou is the best playmaker ever . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Krayola(m): 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2009
@ Sauron

Ronaldinho made better passes than that in every game he played for Barcelona (Till he got fat and stopped giving a shit). There's a reason why Samuel Eto'o scores 24 goals with 47 shots. Someone was putting the ball right at his feet in front of goal.

Check this clip . . Gattusso harrasses Ronaldinho the whole game and crippled him. .  He slipped and fell for one second. .  That was all it took!!

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p9yyPB8nZU&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]

Ronaldinho was a great dribbler and all, but his deadliest weapon was his passing.He was insanely good IMO.

@ Biina.

Xavi is Barcelona's main play maker now. . . Under Rijkaard it was Ronaldinho. Everything went through him.

Like I said, I didn't watch much of Maradona . . so I don't want to speak too much on something I don't know (I'm downloading a docu. about him in Napoli right now), but from what I saw of him, he is a lot like Messi. .  He gets the ball, makes runs, creates space for others, and if he feels generous he'll pass . .

Zidane is the best play-maker I have ever seen, but I saw him play his whole career. (Ronaldinho is the best I've seen but only for 2 seasons which ain't good enough)
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Sauron1: 11:41pm On Jun 17, 2009
@ Krayola,

Don't say a word about El Diego if you haven't seen him play.
There's no one like him. . . . .Forget Dinho, Xavi, Zidane or Messi.
Maradona was the best football player i have ever seen in the history of football
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Krayola(m): 11:53pm On Jun 17, 2009
If Johann Cruyff won a world cup he would be up there . . . its unfortunate people don't remember him. I watched a documentary on him about a month ago and he was ahead of his time. No one won more trophies than him.

As player

Ajax
Eredivisie: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1982, 1983
KNVB Cup: 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1983
European Cup: 1971, 1972, 1973
Intercontinental Cup: 1972
UEFA Super Cup: 1972, 1973

FC Barcelona

La Liga: 1974
Copa del Rey: 1978

Feyenoord

Eredivisie: 1984
KNVB Cup: 1984

European Player of the Century XX IFFHS
Golden Player of the Netherlands

As manager

Ajax
KNVB Cup: 1986, 1987
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1987
FC Barcelona
[/b]Copa del Rey: 1990
La Liga: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1989
European Cup: 1992
UEFA Super Cup: 1992

[b]Individual

European Footballer of the Year: 1971, 1973, 1974
FIFA World Cup Golden Ball: 1974
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1974
Dutch Golden Shoe: 1984
World Soccer Awards Manager of the Year: 1987
Coach of the Year: 1992, 1994

--------------------------------------------------

I'll put that up against ANYBODY!!
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by jalether(m): 11:59pm On Jun 17, 2009
@ Krayola, i hope you are not even thinking of comparing ronaldinho with maradona

let the comparison be limited to zidane pls
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by jalether(m): 12:02am On Jun 18, 2009
Krayola:

If Johann Cruyff won a world cup he would be up there . . . its unfortunate people don't remember him. I watched a documentary on him about a month ago and he was ahead of his time. No one won more trophies than him.

As player

Ajax
Eredivisie: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1982, 1983
KNVB Cup: 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1983
European Cup: 1971, 1972, 1973
Intercontinental Cup: 1972
UEFA Super Cup: 1972, 1973

FC Barcelona

La Liga: 1974
Copa del Rey: 1978

Feyenoord

Eredivisie: 1984
KNVB Cup: 1984

European Player of the Century XX IFFHS
Golden Player of the Netherlands

As manager

Ajax
KNVB Cup: 1986, 1987
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1987
FC Barcelona
[/b]Copa del Rey: 1990
La Liga: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1989
European Cup: 1992
UEFA Super Cup: 1992

[b]Individual

European Footballer of the Year: 1971, 1973, 1974
FIFA World Cup Golden Ball: 1974
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1974
Dutch Golden Shoe: 1984
World Soccer Awards Manager of the Year: 1987
Coach of the Year: 1992, 1994

--------------------------------------------------

I'll put that up against ANYBODY!!

i think there is a reason why maradona (alongside pele) has always been regarded as the greatest player

to ever play the game, dont you think
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Krayola(m): 12:06am On Jun 18, 2009
They won the world cup.

Winning it put you in a different class. Like Dinho and Zidane. . we can discuss them because they have won it at all levels. Even the very top. Cruyff unfortunately never did that. .  but he is one of the greats nonetheless. The same way I won't speak about Maradona, you shouldn't speak of Cruyff if you have never seen him play.
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Krayola(m): 12:07am On Jun 18, 2009
jalether:

@ Krayola, i hope you are not even thinking of comparing ronaldinho with maradona

let the comparison be limited to zidane pls

Cantona
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by jalether(m): 2:02am On Jun 18, 2009
what abt cantona, i don't geddit,

ofcourse i have seen alot of Yohan cryuff's clips and he is a fantastic player,

i particularly like the way he makes dribbling look so effortlessy smooth

but is he in the same league as maradona ?, dont think so
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by dayokanu(m): 2:39am On Jun 18, 2009
Johan Cryuff us highly regarded. He was voted best European player on last century ahead of Beckenbauer, Platini Muller, Baggio, Eusebio and Zoff

How can anyone mention Cantona in this type of thread? We are discussing gods and someone is mentioning Cantona.
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by annyplenty(m): 2:44am On Jun 18, 2009
dayokanu:

Johan Cryuff us highly regarded. He was voted best European player on last century ahead of Beckenbauer, Platini Muller, Baggio, Eusebio and Zoff

How can anyone mention Cantona in this type of thread? We are discussing gods and someone is mentioning Cantona.

maybe the person was trying to compare Cantona with Beckham
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Krayola(m): 3:13am On Jun 18, 2009
haha . .
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by dayokanu(m): 4:54am On Jun 18, 2009
Maybe Cantona and Beckham fit
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Krayola(m): 6:58am On Jun 18, 2009
Well, I think I can argue that if there is one player that has "single handedly" carried a team to greatness it is Cantona. But it'll be tough
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by annyplenty(m): 7:02am On Jun 18, 2009
Krayola:

Well, I think I can argue that if there is one player that has single handedly carried a team to greatness it is Cantona. But it'll be tough

pls what is your bone of contention? even Pele was not put in the list and you are talking of Cantona.
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by Krayola(m): 7:04am On Jun 18, 2009
relax now . . .Cantona tif ur wife? grin
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by annyplenty(m): 7:16am On Jun 18, 2009
Krayola:

relax now . . .Cantona tif ur wife? grin

na you wan tif my thread for cantona grin
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by mykali(m): 8:47am On Jun 18, 2009
Seeing you guys discuss and argue about football legends so confidently makes me realise i'm a baby in the world of football. I was not even born when most of this guys hanged their boots.
If i was woken from a coma and asked who the greatest playmaker was i'ld say it was Okocha . . .or CR7 sad
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by biina: 12:54pm On Jun 18, 2009
Krayola:

Well, I think I can argue that if there is one player that has "single handedly" carried a team to greatness it is Cantona. But it'll be tough hopeless
grin
Re: Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? by jalether(m): 1:25pm On Jun 18, 2009
@ Krayola, you sure sey you never shack ogogoro when you posted that grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tottenham Vs Chelsea (2 - 4) On Saturday 20th October 2012 / Liverpool Vs Sevilla: UCL (2 - 2) On 13th September 2017 / Fulham Vs Chelsea (0 - 1) On 16th January 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.