Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,916 members, 7,824,845 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. (29401 Views)

Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? / The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. / Nigerian Traditonal Wedding: Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 8:12am On Apr 03, 2018
macof:

Ancestry linked to Olukumi of Ugbodu? Because you see "Lucumi" and "Olukumi" Lmao. Ok
But what is the evidence to back up your claims?

The dude still does not get it at all. It seems he does not understand a question before posting his long epistles that still do not answer the very question asked.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Olu317(m): 9:16pm On Apr 03, 2018
bigfrancis21:

The dude still does not get it at all. It seems he does not understand a question before posting his long epistles that still do not answer the very question asked.
The dude indeed! Obviously, your opinion isnt the same as the reality on ground and does not have impact. I have provided exact meaning of Lukumi.It seem I should do the breakdown in a layman's perspective. The ‘LUKUMI' stand differently from your assumed opinion. Below are what Lukumi stand for in Cuba:

1. Lukumi as a dialect of some yoruba group within Yoruba community in cuba, when the subgroup were identified at their arrival by each Yoruba clans. Little do you know ,there are Ijesa,Ketu, Egbado,Olukumi etc amongst these people. grin

2. Part of Lukumi Babalawo sacred words are used as ritual language.

3. Lukumi as linked to OLukumi in Nigeria.

Lastly, Anago community has a pattern based on LIBRETAS knowledge . IT IS A BLATANT LIE TO assume the language is about RITUAL ONLY,which is UNTRUE.

I have mentioned outstanding authors from Cuba and elsewhere ,which is contrary to your believe that the authors are Africans from Africa.Do you know the author that did the Lukumi-Anago in comparison with yoruba of West Africa?.If you don't understand this ,then am sorry I can go beyond here.

Note : Dont dabble deeply into what you aren't equipped with the needed information. It will always backfire!

Cheers
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 8:09pm On Apr 04, 2018
I am from Ugbodu and I am proudly IGBO,PROUDLY Anioma. Yes we migrated from the old oyo empire but time,fate and events today has made us "DELTA IGBOS " as you may choose or Ndi Anioma.

Migration is not peculiar to just ugbodu,it occurred everywhere in the world.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by macof(m): 11:39pm On Apr 04, 2018
Swashy4:
I am from Ugbodu and I am proudly IGBO,PROUDLY Anioma. Yes we migrated from the old oyo empire but time,fate and events today has made us "DELTA IGBOS " as you may choose or Ndi Anioma.

LMAO. Ok says the person who only has 2 posts saying the same thing.

Jobless ode

4 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 4:38am On Apr 05, 2018
Swashy4:

Ti Ugbodu Ghan!
Oloza wa zekpe ni o!

Which side of Ugbodu are you from?

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by agadez007(m): 4:18pm On Apr 05, 2018
macof:

Jobless ode
so if he claimed to be Ugbodu and not Igbo,he wouldn't be a Jobless ode, okwa ya?
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by macof(m): 7:41pm On Apr 05, 2018
agadez007:
so if he claimed to be Ugbodu and not Igbo,he wouldn't be a Jobless ode, okwa ya?
come on don't be naive. The person is an obvious jobless troll

Don't because you like his pro-Igbo rant make a fool of yourself
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Olu317(m): 7:43am On Apr 06, 2018
Again, studies have compared Haitian– Trinidad Yorubas and Cuban Yorubas and there is information that affirmed that Haitian–Trinidad Yorubas language didn't undergo transformation as Cuban's did . One among the studies was carried out by Maureen Warner Lewis, on Trinidad Yoruba. This showed that Yoruba language retention was found in Trinidad as compared with Cuban's ,simply because of same Yoruba clan within Trinidad. In her book ,‘Trinidad Yoruba': From Mother tongue to memory (1997) and Yoruba songs of Trinidad(1994).And this confirmed that this conglomerate dialects transformation of Anago came into being because of borrowed words which were fused with each clans localize termilonogy ,that were brought from different Yoruba land into the Anago's general community in Cuba which support yoruba language as a contnuum one . Infact , each of these clan still retain thsir ancestry link. So, if you Yorubas in diaspora sees the need to connect back to their motherland,and continue to learn the language, why would someone isnt yoruba and not vast in Yoruba history discredit this ? It is a pity
Lastly, there was no Lukumi clan among Haitian Yorubas that had existed late 16th –17th century before emergence of Cuba's Yoruba's slaves population. This also testify Lukumi didn't exist until 18th century.

Cheers grin
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Apr 15, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl1uLYnFZLA
Olu317:
It seems you didnt get the drift.I only reaffirm the tentative period of emigration from Ondo axis as 9th–11th century,which date may not be too accurate despite,information from the horse's mouth. This is the point. However, the information as regard emigration to Igbodumila had a reason and the major reason of in drove emigration was PERSECUTION from the host community. And the host community had an Ogiso lineage on the throne. There are two period that such wars took place before the Oba Bini gained total control of Idu–Igodomigodo. These period were Oranmiyan period around late 11th century and 13–14th century of Oba Ewedo .This information showed practically the period of Ewedo against Ogiamien lineage ruling Idu because, during Oranmiyan, Yoruba couldn't had left Idu in droves because he didn't conquer the whole Igodomigodo before he left. And the period of persecution range from 13th–14th century,when Ogiamen Ode lost a bittered well fought war against Ewedo. Anything outside this is false.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 15, 2018

Olu317:
It seems you didnt get the drift.I only reaffirm the tentative period of emigration from Ondo axis as 9th–11th century,which date may not be too accurate despite,information from the horse's mouth. This is the point. However, the information as regard emigration to Igbodumila had a reason and the major reason of in drove emigration was PERSECUTION from the host community. And the host community had an Ogiso lineage on the throne. There are two period that such wars took place before the Oba Bini gained total control of Idu–Igodomigodo. These period were Oranmiyan period around late 11th century and 13–14th century of Oba Ewedo .This information showed practically the period of Ewedo against Ogiamien lineage ruling Idu because, during Oranmiyan, Yoruba couldn't had left Idu in droves because he didn't conquer the whole Igodomigodo before he left. And the period of persecution range from 13th–14th century,when Ogiamen Ode lost a bittered well fought war against Ewedo. Anything outside this is false.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 15, 2018

Olu317:
Of course, there are loopholes in the account ,which can be as a result of oral historical transfer from one generation to another. The 9th century, I can't really agree to it but obviously, It was an Ogiso king that was reigning ,they claimed. This could be during Oranmiyan escapade, which was the reason I pinned the calculation to be over 500 years . The probability of the escapade of Oranmiyan might even be connected to emigration because the account did mentioned chaotic situation and it is only chaotic situation that can make people live where they went to trade and live. As at when Oranmiyan was fighting to gain control of the heartland of Igodomigodo which he didn't for obvious reason, which I concluded as IFA dictate. Ogiamie lineage who rightfully was the Ogiso descendants lineage was reigning in Edo–Igodomogodo and did ruled for centuries because during the reign of Oranmiyan at Usama, he could not enter into the core area but was only able to win some part . And these accounted for two Kings in Usama–Igodomogodo , the first one being a yoruba prince from ILE IFE with Oba title and an indigenous breed with Ogiso title . There is no iota of doubt that Olukumi had the knowledge of an Ogiso ruler , who was desperate to use his son of detested wife as sacrifice, according to their oral account(the reason for using human as sacrifice is for spiritual power acquisition ). The implication of the Lukumi's account is that a desperate Ogiamien was in charge of Igodomogodo, when they flee in drove because of fear of being used as sacrifice . And during the period of war, the enemies within are used as scapegoats and sacrifices. Furthermore, it was Oba Ewedo that crushed through from Usama through to Igodomogodo,which was the Heart of Idu Kingdom and by so doing disposed the Ogiamien Ode ( which brought forth the traditional rite of lending land to ILE IFE's Son–Known as Oba Bini and Ogiso –Ogiamien dynasty as the landowner and the Oba a tenant on the land in their custody). This shows that the migration were in different waves; slightly pre Oranmiyan–Post Oranmiyan and during the reign of Ogiamien Ode around 12th-13th century. The last in drove emigration was during Oba Ewedo which is the one that best suit their account.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by oyatz(m): 1:02pm On Nov 11, 2018
How much of Yoruba do you think you know?

Ugbodu is very meaningful in Yoruba language, for instance,
Ugbodu = Ugbo (Forest) + Odu (As in Odu IFA)

bigfrancis21:

There have been several 'theories' about the origin of Ugbodu, some saying from 'igbo odun', and others saying from 'ugbodunmila'. To the best of my knowledge, these are just guesses at best. The fact remains that these Olukumi towns in Delta North have settled in the Igbo area for so many decades and their town names are purely Igbo names, albeit ancient Igbo names. Ugbodu does not sound Yoruba in any way. Ugbodu has several meanings in Igbo.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 8:16pm On Nov 11, 2018
oyatz:
How much of Yoruba do you think you know?

Ugbodu is very meaningful in Yoruba language, for instance,
Ugbodu = Ugbo (Forest) + Odu (As in Odu IFA)

How does forest + odu ifa even make sense? I understand the tendency to break down words into syllables that make sense in Yoruba, but are you making any sense in this case?

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by oyatz(m): 8:34pm On Nov 11, 2018
Bros, forget it. Your understanding of Yoruba language is not as deep as you think.

Ugbo Odu can mean the Forest of ODU

bigfrancis21:

How does forest + odu ifa even make sense? I understand the tendency to break down words into syllables that make sense in Yoruba, but are you making any sense in this case?
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 8:58pm On Nov 11, 2018
oyatz:
Bros, forget it. Your understanding of Yoruba language is not as deep as you think.

Ugbo Odu can mean the Forest of ODU

Fine, how does forest of odu even make sense? Was/is Ugbodu a deeply forested area? Any ancestral connection of this supposed name to the past of Ugbodu?

Also, going by your assertion, Ugbo odu, according to you, when pronounced should have an extended 'o' in the middle in pronunciation as in Ugboodu but the natives pronounce it with a short 'o' in the middle.

I could tell you the several meanings of Ugbodu in Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by oyatz(m): 9:19pm On Nov 11, 2018
Sir, I hope you have heard of Yoruba names with the prefix ODU?

ODUwoye, ODUola, ODUtola, ODUsote etc

Apart from Odu IFA, Odu can also mean a specie of vegetable.

Yoruba is a highly tonal language, thus same word or apparently similar words when pronounced with different tones can assume different meanings

Have you seen contraction of vowels in Yoruba names? e.g

1) Igbo Ija mo (The forest that IJA knows)= Igbojamo

2) Osho+Igbo( Wizards of the forest)= Oshogbo

3) Olo+Oja= Oloja (special appellation for kings, meaning 'the owner of markets' .In the olden days, the kings own the markets, hence 'Oja Oba' in many Yoruba towns)

Bros, take it literally, you don't have deep knowledge about the Yoruba language QED.

The fact that a word has meaning in Yoruba language doesn't exclude the possibility of the same word being meaningful in Igbo, Kanuri or Cherokee languages.

bigfrancis21:

Fine, how does forest of odu even make sense? Was/is Ugbodu a deeply forested area? Any ancestral connection of this supposed name to the past of Ugbodu?

Also, going by your assertion, Ugbo odu, according to you, when pronounced should have an extended 'o' in the middle in pronunciation as in Ugboodu but the natives pronounce it with a short 'o' in the middle.

I could tell you the several meanings of Ugbodu in Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by lawani: 10:07pm On Nov 11, 2018
oyatz:

Yoruba is a highly tonal language, thus same word or apparently similar words when pronounced with different tones can assume different meanings

3) Olo+Oja= Oloja (special appellation for kings, meaning 'the owner of markets' .In the olden days, the kings own the markets, hence 'Oja Oba' in many Yoruba towns)

Bros, take it literally, you don't have deep knowledge about the Yoruba language QED.

The fact that a word has meaning in Yoruba language doesn't exclude the possibility of the same word being meaningful in Igbo, Kanuri or Cherokee languages.

The real name is ugbodumila which means in Yoruba the forest saved me and I prospered

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by oyatz(m): 11:53pm On Nov 11, 2018
Thanks bro,I didn't even know the origin of the name but was trying to correct Francis's wrong assumption that Ugbodu couldn't have been a Yoruba name because it has no meaning in (his limited understanding of) Yoruba language.

Ugbo= Forest
Du = Save
Mi= Me
La= Prosper

So you have Ugbodumila

[quote author=lawani post=72885098][/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by morpheus24: 4:54pm On Nov 13, 2018
Swashy4:

Bros you are the only one that has made sense on this thread, migration is a natural human behavior. Groups of people become assimulated into one identity or multiple identities and therefore ethnic identifications are fluid as far as human history is concerned.

A simple resolution to many groups of people in the ANIOMA region would be a comprehensive DNA study to confirm founder populations.

IF this group of people are hybrids or have assimilated their Ytdna and their mitrochondial DNA will confirm who their founding fathers and mothers are thus all this grammar and this historical references can only be corroborated with genetic evidence

I wish I had the funding, I would definitely embark on such a project.

3 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 7:29am On Dec 04, 2018
macof:

Jobless ode

Ofe mmanu,shut up. WE HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER REFER TO OURDELVES AS YORUBA. WE DONT SHARE ANY SIMILARITY BOTH IN TRADITION,CULTURE AND EVEN 80% OF OUR NAMES ARE IGBO COZ OF OUR IGBO INCEPTION AND FOUNDATION. DONT FLATTER YOURSELF,WE ARE NOT PART OF YOU. WE DONT EVEN KNOW ODUDUWA,NEITHER DO WE EAT AMALA AND EWEDU�..........ALTHOUGH AS I SAID BEFORE IGBOS WERE ALREADY ON GROUND BEFORE THE WARRIORS FRIM AKURE SENT BY THE OBA OF BENIN TO CAPTURE THE IGBOS CAME. AND EVEN STILL NON ACCEPTS BEING REFERRED TO AS YORUBA.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 7:32am On Dec 04, 2018
oyatz:

UGBODU IS AN IGBO WORD,ODINANI IS IGBO. THE YORUBAS CAN NEVER EVER CLAIM UGBODU. THEY CAN ONLY DO WHAT THEY DO BEST,WHICH IS TALK OP.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by oyatz(m): 3:19pm On Dec 04, 2018
There is nothing like claiming here sir.
My post was in response to Big Francis's wrong assumption that Ugbodu has no meaning in Yoruba language which I tried to enlightened him.

It never cease to amuse me how nairaland tribalists think a whole population of people of Ugbodu be claimed like a parcel of land.

The people of Ugbodu know their history very well.

They said their town's full name is Ugbo-du-mi la which is a Yoruba sentence meaning the Forest saved me to prosper.

Swashy4:

UGBODU IS AN IGBO WORD,ODINANI IS IGBO. THE YORUBAS CAN NEVER EVER CLAIM UGBODU. THEY CAN ONLY DO WHAT THEY DO BEST,WHICH IS TALK OP.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by scholes0(m): 6:22pm On Dec 04, 2018
Swashy4:

lol not to sound insultive, but what is the population of not just Ugbodu but even the whole of olukumis?
Why would you think Yorubas NEED you for anything? What value can you add tho the Yoruba Nation that already has more than 40 subgroups indigenously spanning 4 countries?

There are more Delta Igbos assimilating into Yoruba culture (Intentionally and unintentionally) every year than the whole olukumi population combined, and you are here feeling like one raggamuffin. One of my friends from Ubulu-Uku or there abouts just discarded his Igbo name for a Yoruba one for whatever reasons best known to him, and his new choice name is what his children will also bear.

Don't start feeling too big, because your past Yoruba history has brought your slumbery village into prominence. It is just for historical discourse and tracing patterns of migration of different groups into the "Western Ibo" cultural area. Get over yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 6:42pm On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

lol not to sound insultive, but what is the population of not just Ugbodu but even the whole of olukumis?
Why would you think Yorubas NEED you for anything? What value can you add tho the Yoruba Nation that already has more than 40 subgroups indigenously spanning 4 countries?

There are more Delta Igbos assimilating into Yoruba culture (Intentionally and unintentionally) every year than the whole olukumi population combined, and you are here feeling like one raggamuffin. One of my friends from Ubulu-Uku or there abouts just discarded his Igbo name for a Yoruba one for whatever reasons best known to him, and his new choice name is what his children will also bear.

Don't start feeling too big, because your past Yoruba history has brought your slumbery village into prominence. It is just for historical discourse and tracing patterns of migration of different groups into the "Western Ibo" cultural area. Get over yourself.

VERY GOOD,SO KEEP US OUT OF YOUR MOUTH THEN,ITS GOOD FOR YOUR FRIEND THAT YOU CANT REMEMBER HIS VILLAGE TOO. AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE ,THEY WERE ALREADY IGBOS IN UGBODU BEFORE THE WARRIORS FROM AKURE ARRIVED. PART OF THOSE IGBOS FROM UGBODU AND UKWUNZU FORMED UBULUBU WHICH IS SOLEY IGBO SPEAKING.

WE ARE PROUDLY ANIOMA,AND I AM PROUDLY IGBO ,FROM UGBODU,IGWISI,IDUMU OKPO QUTRS IN ANIOMA.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 6:48pm On Dec 04, 2018
oyatz:
There is nothing like claiming here sir.
My post was in response to Big Francis's wrong assumption that Ugbodu has no meaning in Yoruba language which I tried to enlightened him.

It never cease to amuse me how nairaland tribalists think a whole population of people of Ugbodu be claimed like a parcel of land.

The people of Ugbodu know their history very well.

They said their town's full name is Ugbo-du-mi la which is a Yoruba sentence meaning the Forest saved me to prosper.

UGBODU WAS NEVER FOUNDED BY YORUBAS. THERE WERE IGBOS ALREADY IN UGBODU BEFORE THE WARRIORS FROM AKURE ARRIVED AND CALLED THE IGBOS "OLUKUMI " WHICH MEANS MY FRIEND BECAUSE THEY WERE FRIENDLY AND WELCOMED THEM. THE NAME STUCK AND ALSO THE WARRIORS RULED UGBODU KIMGDOM FOR SOMETIME BEFRE THE OBA SENT PEOPLE AND TOOK OVER AMD THEN THE IGBOS. SO IGBO HAS ALWAYS BEEN PART OF THE FOUNDATION OF UGBODU. AND FOR THE NAME,UGBODU WAS JUST UGBODU WHICH HAS ITS OWN MEANING IN IGBO,OR UGBODU UNO. IT WAS THE YORUBAS THAT CALLED IT UGBODUMILA.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by scholes0(m): 6:55pm On Dec 04, 2018
Swashy4:

VERY GOOD,SO KEEP US OUT OF YOUR MOUTH THEN,ITS GOOD FOR YOUR FRIEND THAT YOU CANT REMEMBER HIS VILLAGE TOO. AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE ,THEY WERE ALREADY IGBOS IN UGBODU BEFORE THE WARRIORS FROM AKURE ARRIVED. PART OF THOSE IGBOS FROM UGBODU AND UKWUNZU FORMED UBULUBU WHICH IS SOLEY IGBO SPEAKING.

WE ARE PROUDLY ANIOMA,AND I AM PROUDLY IGBO ,FROM UGBODU,IGWISI,IDUMU OKPO QUTRS IN ANIOMA.

You can twist history as much as you want to suit your wishes but the people of Ugbodu, Ukwu Nzu and the rest started speaking Enuani because of acculturation and not some founder population effect. Just the same way the people of Ebu now speak more igbo than they speak their native Igala.
It is even evidenced by the fact that Ukwu Nzu wasn't even known as Ukwu Nzu until recently the town had a previous Yoruba name. Like seriously, all Olukumis are they up to 50k? I highly doubt.

There are numerous far more important towns in Anioma that nobody has ever heard about, so be thankful whenever anyone ever gets the opportunity to even know what Ugbodu is because based on her unique history.

You can rant as much as you want here, but thankfully I have done my own research and have spoken to people from Ugbodu, even here on nairaland no one has ever come up with your version of events including the few Ugbodu born respondents who have shown once or twice.
Nobody is asking Olukumis to own up to being yoruba, that is their business.... But you can not ask me what to keep in my mouth or out of it, as you are a nobody on this open / free source public forum. Peace.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 7:19pm On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

You can twist history as much as you want to suit your wishes but the people of Ugbodu, Ukwu Nzu and the rest started speaking Enuani because of acculturalization and not some founder population effect. Just the same way the people of Ebu now speak more igbo than they speak their native Igala.
It is even evidenced by the fact that Ukwu Nzu wasn't even known as Ukwu Nzu until recently the town had a previous Yoruba name. Like seriously, all Olukumis are they up to 50k? I highly doubt.

There are more important towns in Anioma that nobody has even hear about, so be thankful whenever anyone ever gets the opportunity to even know what Ugbodu is because based on her unique history.

You can rant as much as you want here, but thankfully I have done my own research and have spoken to people from Ugbodu, even here on nairaland no one has ever come up with your version of events including the few Ugbodu born respondents who have shown once or twice.
Nobody is asking Olukumis to own up to being yoruba, that is their business.... But you can not ask me what to keep in my mouth or out of it, as you are a nobody on this open / free source public forum. Peace.

I AM FROM UGBODU,IGWISI ,IDUMU OKPO QTRS AND I KNOW MY HISTORY. EVEN THE STOOL OF UGBODU IS TITTLED THE OBI STOOL AS OFFICIALLY RECOGNISED BY THE DELTA STATE GOVERNMENT. YOU CAN CONFIRM WITH THE JUST CONCLUDED COURT CASE OVER THE RIGHTFUL OBI OF THE KINGDOM. ALL THE CONSCIOUSLY MANIPULATION AND DEDUCTION OF HISTORY IS DUE TO GREED AND POLITICS. EVEN THE OBI OF IDUMUJE GAVE THE SAME ACCOUNT ON A LIVE INTERVIEW,YOU CAN SEARCH FOR THAT ALSO .WE IN UGBODU WHO ARE WELL INFORMED KNOW. SO IF U DON'T BELIEVE,ITS NOT MY BUSINESS,AS YOU CANT TELL ME MY HISTORY AND CONVINCE ME TO BE YORUBA. I AM PROUDLY IGBO FROM UGBODU IN ANIOMA,DELTA STATE. AND I DONT HAVE ANYTHING THO AGAINST THE YORUBAS,BUT YOU DONT JUST COME AND RECITE WAT YOU READ ON GOOGLE AND THINK YOU HAVE MADE A WORLD CLASS RESEARCH ON WHAT YOU DONT KNOW.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by scholes0(m): 7:27pm On Dec 04, 2018
Swashy4:

I AM FROM UGBODU,IGWISI ,IDUMU OKPO QTRS AND I KNOW MY HISTORY. EVEN THE STOOL OF UGBODU IS TITTLED THE OBI STOOL AS OFFICIALLY RECOGNISED BY THE DELTA STATE GOVERNMENT. YOU CAN CONFIRM WITH THE JUST CONCLUDED COURT CASE OVER THE RIGHTFUL OBI OF THE KINGDOM. ALL THE CINCIOUSLY MANIPULATION AND DEDUCTION OF HISTORY IS DUE TO GREED AND POLITICS. WE IN UGBODU WHO ARE WELL INFORMED KNOW. SO IF U DON'T BELIEVE,ITS NOT MY BUSINESS,AS YOU CANT TELL ME MY HISTORY AND CONVINCE ME TO BE YORUBA. I AM PROUDLY IGBO FROM UGBODU IN ANIOMA,DELTA STATE. AND I DONT HAVE ANYTHING THO AGAINST THE YORUBAS.

Then I guess your Obi (or maybe it is the deposed one) was suffering from a serious delusion by bearing Ayo as first name. Did he sleepwalk into choosing a Yoruba name?

The original title of the kingshio isn't Obi but OLOZA. I won't argue with you. That it is called obi popularly now is a result of neighborhood effects as well. I don't care if you have anything or everything against the yorubas, Your headache.
But the Yoruba ancestry of Olukumis of Delta state is more of repository / history book material now than anything else.

Itsekiris are close to a million and speak a full unmistakably Yoruboid language as well as being contiguous with Yorubaland, but have you ever seen any Yoruba forcefully coercing them into being Yorubas against their wish? So I wonder what will make you think anyone is interested in kidnapping your village people because an historical thread was opened about them.

Delusions.

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 8:48pm On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

Then I guess your Obi (or maybe it is the deposed one) was suffering from a serious delusion by bearing Ayo as first name. Did he sleepwalk into choosing a Yoruba name?

The original title of the kingshio isn't Obi but OLOZA. I won't argue with you. That it is called obi popularly now is a result of neighborhood effects as well. I don't care if you have anything or everything against the yorubas, Your headache.
But the Yoruba ancestry of Olukumis of Delta state is more of repository / history book material now than anything else.

Itsekiris are close to a million and speak a full unmistakably Yoruboid language as well as being contiguous with Yorubaland, but have you ever seen any Yoruba forcefully coercing them into being Yorubas against their wish? So I wonder what will make you think anyone is interested in kidnapping your village people because an historical thread was opened about them.

Delusions.
cheesy cheesy cheesy....OLOZA IS JUST FOR THIS PRESENT KING. THE PREVIOUS ONES USED OBI. IT IS OBI THAT IS EVEN RECOGNISED BY THE GOVERNMENT AND NOT OLOZA cheesy cheesy cheesy . YOU ARE A YORUBA MAN,SO I EXPECT NOTHING DIFFERENT. THE NAME AYO WAS CRESTED ON HIM DURING HIS CORONATION,BECAUSE THEY FELT HE NEEDED AND OLUKUMI NAME,AS THE DISPLACED OBI WAS PURELY IBO AND THOSE WHO FELT THEY WERE BETTER OF BILINGUAL AND PLAYED ALONG WITH POLITICS BUT STILL THE NAME ON THE ROYAL THRONE REMAINS IGBO WHICH IS ISINYEMEZE. AYO IS INCONSEQUENTIAL STILL COZ ITS JUST A FIRST NAME .
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by scholes0(m): 9:38pm On Dec 04, 2018
Swashy4:

cheesy cheesy cheesy....OLOZA IS JUST FOR THIS PRESENT KING. THE PREVIOUS ONES USED OBI. IT IS OBI THAT IS EVEN RECOGNISED BY THE GOVERNMENT AND NOT OLOZA cheesy cheesy cheesy . YOU ARE A YORUBA MAN,SO I EXPECT NOTHING DIFFERENT. THE NAME AYO WAS CRESTED ON HIM DURING HIS CORONATION,BECAUSE THEY FELT HE NEEDED AND OLUKUMI NAME,AS THE DISPLACED OBI WAS PURELY IBO AND THOSE WHO FELT THEY WERE BETTER OF BILINGUAL AND PLAYED ALONG WITH POLITICS BUT STILL THE NAME ON THE ROYAL THRONE REMAINS IGBO WHICH IS ISINYEMEZE. AYO IS INCONSEQUENTIAL STILL COZ ITS JUST A FIRST NAME .

More history twisting.

That Kings in Kaduna state are called Emirs or gazetted as such in the state's own official documents don't mean they are all emirs, a lot of things can emanate from common parlance based on predominant surrounding language, or language of common communication. The first Kings of Ugbodu were never Obis, so I wonder how your claim that igbos were part of the foundation of the town and that Obi was the original title even holds any water.
Besides, even the title "Obi" can arguably be traced to Benin and not Igbo..

In your myopicness you fail to realize that the fact that I used the foremost personality in Ugbodu (The Oloza) bearing a Yoruba name is just a point I am trying to make, which obviously went over your brain.
There are several other people from Ugbodu who not only have Yoruba or yoruba sounding first names BUT last names as well. But well, they are not from Ugbodu according to you, They must all be infiltrators and pretenders who changed their names last week to cause trouble.

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 9:46pm On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

More history twisting.

That Kings in Kaduna state are called Emirs don't mean they are all emirs. The first Kings of Ugbodu were never Obis, so I wonder how your claim that igbos were part of the foundation of the town and that Obi was the original title even holds any water.....
Besides, even Obi can arguably be traced to Benin and not Igbo

YOU ARE NOT MAKING A POINT. THE FIRST RULERS WERE WARRIORS THAT WERE SENT BY THE OBA TO CAPTURE THE IGBOS OF UGBODU,BUT ON GETTING THERE DECIDED TO SETTLE AND RULE THEM. IMMEDIATELY AFTER THIER TENURE THE EDOS TOOK OVER FOR A SHORT WHILE BEFORE THE IGBOS RECLAIMED THE THRONE. THIS IS EVEN NOT PECULIAR TO UGBODU,BUT THE WHOLE OF ANIOMA. EVEN THE LIST OF THE FIRST RULERS WAS MANIPULATED ITS NOT THAT LONG AND OBVIOUSLY NOT CIMPLETELY TRUE. SO WHY DID THE NAMES CHANGE TO EDO AND THEN BACK TO IGBO cheesy cheesy cheesy...MAYBE THE WARRIORS GAVE THIER CHILDREN EDO NAMES,AND THE EDOS GAVE THIER CHILDREN IGBO NAMES cheesy cheesy cheesy

THE STOOL OF THE KING OF UGBODU IS FOR THE OBI. ANY OTHER KING COMES WITH HIS OWN TITTLE JUST LIKE THIS PRESENT 1. SO FIND SOMWWHERE ELSE TO POKE UR NOSE INTO .

EVEN THE HEAD OF ODINANI CLAN ,UKWUNZU,THE KING USES ONLY OBI.

AND BY THE WAY,OBI IS IGBO.....YOU CAN TAKE UR ARGUMENT ABT IT BEING BINI TO A DUNCE.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by scholes0(m): 10:01pm On Dec 04, 2018
Swashy4:

YOU ARE NOT MAKING A POINT. THE FIRST RULERS WERE WARRIORS THAT WERE SENT BY THE OBA TO CAPTURE THE IGBOS OF UGBODU,BUT ON GETTING THERE DECIDED TO SETTLE AND RULE THEM. IMMEDIATELY AFTER THIER TENURE THE EDOS TOOK OVER FOR A SHORT WHILE BEFORE THE IGBOS RECLAIMED THE THRONE. THIS IS EVEN NOT PECULIAR TO UGBODU,BUT THE WHOLE OF ANIOMA. EVEN THE LIST OF THE FIRST RULERS WAS MANIPULATED ITS NOT THAT LONG AND OBVIOUSLY NOT CIMPLETELY TRUE. SO WHY DID THE NAMES CHANGE TO EDO AND THEN BACK TO IGBO cheesy cheesy cheesy...MAYBE THE WARRIORS GAVE THIER CHILDREN EDO NAMES,AND THE EDOS GAVE THIER CHILDREN IGBO NAMES cheesy cheesy cheesy

THE STOOL OF THE KING OF UGBODU IS FOR THE OBI. ANY OTHER KING COMES WITH HIS OWN TITTLE JUST LIKE THIS PRESENT 1. SO FIND SOMWWHERE ELSE TO POKE UR NOSE INTO .

EVEN THE HEAD OF ODINANI CLAN ,UKWUNZU,THE KING USES ONLY OBI.

AND BY THE WAY,OBI IS IGBO.....YOU CAN TAKE UR ARGUMENT ABT IT BEING BINI TO A DUNCE.

Obi is Igbo of course, but the origin is Benin. Otherwise you would have to show communities outside of Anioma and closely related communities where the Ezes bear Obi as the title.
Your cooked up explanation does not explain what is shown in the attached picture one bit. Your argument is like saying because the rulers of Issele Uku were Ogies as first before they became Obis, then the town's monarchy didn't come from benin. Mr Ochei it is clear that you are making things up along the way. But kwantinuuu grin

Ti Ugbodu han, oluku mi. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Dancing With One Of His Queens / The White Manz' Perception Of Black Beauty Is Different From The Black Manz / Who Is A Woman? (understanding The Nature Of Women)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.