Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,911 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. (29298 Views)

Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? / The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. / Nigerian Traditonal Wedding: Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Ikechu12: 5:32pm On Dec 30, 2018
scholes0:

lol not to sound insultive, but what is the population of not just Ugbodu but even the whole of olukumis?
Why would you think Yorubas NEED you for anything? What value can you add tho the Yoruba Nation that already has more than 40 subgroups indigenously spanning 4 countries?

There are more Delta Igbos assimilating into Yoruba culture (Intentionally and unintentionally) every year than the whole olukumi population combined, and you are here feeling like one raggamuffin. One of my friends from Ubulu-Uku or there abouts just discarded his Igbo name for a Yoruba one for whatever reasons best known to him, and his new choice name is what his children will also bear.

Don't start feeling too big, because your past Yoruba history has brought your slumbery village into prominence. It is just for historical discourse and tracing patterns of migration of different groups into the "Western Ibo" cultural area. Get over yourself.

This mofos are fucking delusional as Bleep. Say what? There are Delta Igbo assimilating to Yoruba culture? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin in what fucking planet cause it sure as hell must not be Earth. grin grin grin Delta-Igbo assimilating Yoruba culture. A grown man actually sat down and wrote this bullshit. Not one single Anioma culture came from Yoruba. Not one single culture. The closest culture we picked up from Western area is the Edo culture. Delta Igbo and Yoruba have nothing in common and we have NEVER EVER tried to in past or present and definitely not going to in the future either. Y'all MF needs to leave us the hell alone and stop all this pathetic written. Just pitiful, extremely pitiful

6 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by baby124: 6:19pm On Dec 30, 2018
prolog2:
I didn't draw those maps. They were drawn by map makers from Europe who visited the region for the very purpose of drawing maps of the region to better understand it and know who to make deals with. You basically just make claims and provide no proof. For your info Mr yoruba, the Oba of Benin has nothing to do with your Yoruba fake Obas who copied the title in the colonial era. The way you guys just keep claiming Benin monarchy as originating from your Ife village is embarrassing. The maps I provided prove you to be a liar, so let us end it right here. No need to change your handle and continue your harassment. History has already happened, stop trying to change it. You can only change your future not your past.
I just educated you. No one is trying to change history but I am just stating the facts. Back to your original argument, having influence on a place does not change the identity of the people. For example, these Ugbodus has influences in waves. First it was their original identity as Yoruba’s that influenced the environment they settled in. Then came the influence of the Benin settlers amongst them. Because they are isolated they will assimilate and the Benin are not as foreign to them as you will think so they embrace them as brothers. Then came the Igbo influence on them as Igbo’s spread out of their territory. Their story alone should tell you that Yoruba’s started this migration trend all over Nigeria. Because at the time there were wars or expansionist agendas. Then the Benin who they had influence over did the same. These early Yoruba migrants had to go through Benin to get to their destination. It does not mean that they were vassals of the Benin kingdom. By the way your maps are not clear at all. That map looks like it relates to the people of Dahomey and not the Benin empire. The Dahomeans and their influence is quite widespread too. Even into Nigeria. Though their spread and sphere of influence was halted by the Yoruba’s.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

I just educated you. That map looks like it relates to the people of Dahomey and not the Benin empire. The Dahomeans and their influence is quite widespread too. Even into Nigeria. Though their spread and sphere of influence was halted by the Yoruba’s.
You keep exposing your ignorance while boasting your arrogance. Those maps clearly say Benin, not dahomey. You are like an illiterate trying to educate a professor. The most insulting is that you Yoruba story tellers actually believe the rest of us to be stupid enough to believe your made up stories. We all know you guys descend from freed slaves dumped on our land by the brits and their allies.

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by baby124: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2018
prolog2:
You keep exposing your ignorance while boasting your arrogance. Those maps clearly say Benin, not dahomey. You are like an illiterate trying to educate a professor.
Dahomey is also Benin. Your map is not clear enough. I have also seen maps of the place that you are sure relates to the Benin people in Nigeria and it covers just Edo State. Same Rahoumey De Benin. By the way you are a professor? You sound like a dimwit. A professor who knows what he is saying will not boldly come and claim that a people’s identity changes because of their government. Quite daft for a professor won’t you say?

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

Dahomey is also Benin. Your map is not clear enough. I have also seen maps of the place that you are sure relates to the Benin people in Nigeria and it covers just Edo State. Same Rahoumey De Benin.
Just for your uneducated information, dahomey took the name Benin only after independence, in the 1970's to be more precised. These maps were drawn hundreds of years before colonisation. Back then, only one country carried the name Benin. You are just plain stupid if you can't even understand this. I swear you revisionists can't seperate past from present, you just confuse everything. Beninese themselves recognise where they got their name from. Now just STFU before spreading your ignorance to an other deluded Yoruba supremacist.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by baby124: 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2018
prolog2:
Just for your uneducated information, dahomey took the name Benin only after independence, in the 1970's to be more precised. These maps were drawn hundreds of years before colonisation. Back then, only one country carried the name Benin. You are just plain stupid if you can't even understand this. I swear you revisionists can't seperate past from present, you just confuse everything. Beninese themselves recognise where they got their name from. Now just STFU before spreading your ignorance to an other deluded Yoruba supremacist.
Dahomey has always been in the Bight of Benin! This is why it was named Benin by foreigners you numskull! The map you are looking at is the bight of Benin that’s why you can see Guinea close to it. Then you come here like a slowpoke to claim that it is the whole Benin empire. Mr professor that cannot read maps yet has the confidence to spew bullshit. Look for more precise maps and you will see that the Benin empire was not that large as that map you are displaying up and down on this thread. I am not a Yoruba supremacist, I am correcting you and teaching you. You talk so ignorantly and you should admit that you sound stupid. slowpoke.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

Dahomey has always been in the Bight of Benin! This is why it was named Benin by foreigners you numskull! The map you are looking at is the bight of Benin that’s why you can see Guinea close to it. Then you come here like a slowpoke to claim that it is the whole Benin empire. Mr professor that cannot read maps yet has the confidence to spew bullshit. Look for more precise maps and you will see that the Benin empire was not that large as that map you are displaying up and down on this thread. I am not a Yoruba supremacist, I am correcting you and teaching you. You talk so ignorantly and you should admit that you sound stupid. slowpoke.
It seems you are stupid beyond redemption. First of all those are several maps drawn by different people from different periods of time. It is not the same map repeated severally. Second of all, the Bight of Benin is clearly named Bight of Benin in the maps while Benin Kingdom/empire is clearly identified on the maps as well. And guess where the Bight of Benin got its name from ? (I have just noticed that you don't realize that the Bight of Benin is on the sea while Benin Empire is on land, the first map doesn't show the Bight of Benin, it only shows Benin Kingdom.) When someone proves you wrong, just STFU and say thank you instead of trying to debate your incredibly stupid mistakes and most obvious lies into reality and truth. Now go back to talking to your fellow slow Yoruba slave descendents whom are hell bent in changing their past. You guys migrated from Brazil, that is your Homeland, not Ife.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by masseratti: 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2018
prolog2:
I didn't draw those maps. They were drawn by map makers from Europe who visited the region for the very purpose of drawing maps of the region to better understand it and know who to make deals with. You basically just make claims and provide no proof. For your info Mr yoruba, the Oba of Benin has nothing to do with your Yoruba fake Obas who copied the title in the colonial era. The way you guys just keep claiming Benin monarchy as originating from your Ife village is embarrassing. The maps I provided prove you to be a liar, so let us end it right here. No need to change your handle and continue your harassment. History has already happened, stop trying to change it. You can only change your future not your past.
my brother learn history, the current house of Windsor has their root in Germany at a point in England, French was the language spoken in the palace of the United Kingdom, at a point same applied to France, before the turn of the 20th century if you know what that means, Yoruba was the language spoken at the court of Ọba of Benin, how it came to be no one knows that's the truth all the stories maybe one or the other is true, but the truth is no one knows, what every one agreed on is that all the Obas both the yorubas and the benin had same progenitor different names maybe but they agreed they are talking about same person, that doesn't mean one part conquered another part, atleast there is not record of benin sacking ìfẹ́ or Oyo or vice versa something must av brought the two tribes together, instead of arguing about it we should celebrate it.

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2018
masseratti:
my brother learn history, the current house of Windsor has their root in Germany at a point in England, French was the language spoken in the palace of the United Kingdom, at a point same applied to France, before the turn of the 20th century if you know what that means, Yoruba was the language spoken at the court of Ọba of Benin, how it came to be no one knows that's the truth all the stories maybe one or the other is true, but the truth is no one knows, what every one agreed on is that all the Obas both the yorubas and the benin had same progenitor different names maybe but they agreed they are talking about same person, that doesn't mean one part conquered another part, atleast there is not record of benin sacking ìfẹ́ or Oyo or vice versa something must av brought the two tribes together, instead of arguing about it we should celebrate it.
how many Yoruba supremacists will I have to educate ? The court of the Oba of Benin has never spoken Yoruba. To the Edo people, the Edo language is sacred and belongs to the Gods. It is just unthinkable that any other language would be spoken in the court of the Oba. This is just one of the stories you Yoruba keep peddling in order to insert yourself in other peopl's history. You just make up claims and provide no proof. The name of your people is less than 200 years old. Some people who call themselves Yoruba today didn't do so 100 years ago. The title Oba is indigenous to the Benin empire, your chiefs copied it in the colonial era. The Oba of Benin has no relationship with your chiefs whom have no royal blood in them. Now you want to suggest that your defeated and tiny Oyo kingdom somehow defeated Benin empire ? Man you are crazy. You guys need to stop trying to rewrite history. It is not working and you keep exposing your low self-esteem. What brought you guys closer to us is the Brits dumping you on our land after your trip from Brazil. Stop trying to rewrite other people's history especially when you know nothing about them.

5 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by masseratti: 10:39pm On Dec 31, 2018
prolog2:
how many Yoruba supremacists will I have to educate ? The court of the Oba of Benin has never spoken Yoruba. To the Edo people, the Edo language is sacred and belongs to the Gods. It is just unthinkable that any other language would be spoken in the court of the Oba. This is just one of the stories you Yoruba keep peddling in order to insert yourself in other peopl's history. You just make up claims and provide no proof. The name of your people is less than 200 years old. Some people who call themselves Yoruba today didn't do so 100 years ago. The title Oba is indigenous to the Benin empire, your chiefs copied it in the colonial era. The Oba of Benin has no relationship with your chiefs whom have no royal blood in them. Now you want to suggest that your defeated and tiny Oyo kingdom somehow defeated Benin empire ? Man you are crazy. You guys need to stop trying to rewrite history. It is not working and you keep exposing your low self-esteem. What brought you guys closer to us is the Brits dumping you on our land after your trip from Brazil. Stop trying to rewrite other people's history especially when you know nothing about them.
see as this one they rant online, on an anonymous forum, calling someone crazy, go and change history as much as you like, Mr educator, you want to debate about Yoruba language being spoken in the Obas court? Google is your friend on that.

3 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 31, 2018
masseratti:
see as this one they rant online, on an anonymous forum, calling someone crazy, go and change history as much as you like, Mr educator, you want to debate about Yoruba language being spoken in the Obas court? Google is your friend on that.
Mr dunce, don't bother sending your kids to school, just put them in front of Google so that they can read and believe any trash written by some online jerk off troll. The lack of education of you Yoruba supremacists is always very annoying. You always assume whomever you are talking to is just as dumb as you. "Google"...what an idiot you are ! You guys should keep making up your fake history. You might soon start saying that Superman and Batman also migrated from Ife.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by masseratti: 5:07pm On Jan 01, 2019
prolog2:
Mr dunce, don't bother sending your kids to school, just put them in front of Google so that they can read and believe any trash written by some online jerk off troll. The lack of education of you Yoruba supremacists is always very annoying. You always assume whomever you are talking to is just as dumb as you. "Google"...what an idiot you are ! You guys should keep making up your fake history. You might soon start saying that Superman and Batman also migrated from Ife.
I won't stoop so low with you with your gutter language, it shows where you are from... Gutter period.if you have taken your time when you are in school you will learn comprehension of English grammar but you can't, you know the reason why, it's because when you get home it's entertainment WWE style from people who are suppose to train you, thats where you got your gutter language from. If you can comprehend you will have a full grasp of what am talking about, but you can't, and since you communicate in gutter language.... Am sorry me explaining to you or having a convo with you is like having a convo with a chimpanzee.... You can't understand... Go and rest.

3 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by morpheus24: 7:41pm On Jan 03, 2019
Tellemall:

Don't mind that idiot.

It is fond of self-aggrandizement and empty noise. It is a little kid with an IQ of 65(that's what it told me).

It believes it knows everything and yet knows nothing.

Once you confront it, it resorts to insults. Don't quote it and it will still look for a way to insult. It is largely unintelligent and that's why it does what it does. It cannot win so it insults.
You are vexing because I rubbished you on another thread now you are chasing my posts and leaving insults.

Please stay with the topic and if you can I dare you to counter anything I have said and lets see if you are able to defend it. Like I said in the other posts your IQ is quite low and if you insist it isn't please let's test it here.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Tellemall: 7:52pm On Jan 03, 2019
morpheus24:

You are vexing because I rubbished you on another thread now you are chasing my posts and leaving insults.

Please stay with the topic and if you can I dare you to counter anything I have said and lets see if you are able to defend it. Like I said in the other posts your IQ is quite low and if you insist it isn't please let's test it here.

Do shut up.

You're resoundingly empty. You never rubbished me. You rubbished yourself by insulting.

On the topic you lost all credibility and resorted to insults. From that point you ceased to be human to this moniker. All you have is insults. Do not try to sound like you have anything to discuss.

It's a common denominator in all your posts that you must insult people once they don't agree with you.

Your insults do not mean you have an IQ(something you talk about a lot but do not own). I have let you know from the post you made, that for insulting me first you will always receive insults from this end.

If you wanted logical discourse you would not have insulted me. You would have been sensible and polite.

But you get what you give.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Opiletool(m): 6:30am On Jan 04, 2019
Benin was never an empire but a tiny godforsaken kingdom.

As for the 'Oba' title, you slow pokes should give us names of any of your ancestors that have the word 'oba' as a prefix or suffix, predating the advent of oranmiyan rulership in Benin. Your earlier rulers are known as Ogisos, until oranmiyan came to give you ridiculous lots a beffiting title.
Even those that traced their history to Ile-Ife, e.g the Kabba people of kogi, has in the name of their progenitors the prefix 'oba' and still retain it till today. Yoruba ancestors (before the birth of oranmiyan who later ruled and dumped you cretins) with the prefix Oba included in their names are numerous to mention, compared to the benins that can not provide anyone with such names.

No one should quote me without providing those names.

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by morpheus24: 8:31pm On Jan 04, 2019
Tellemall:

Do shut up.

You're resoundingly empty. You never rubbished me. You rubbished yourself by insulting.

On the topic you lost all credibility and resorted to insults. From that point you ceased to be human to this moniker. All you have is insults. Do not try to sound like you have anything to discuss.

It's a common denominator in all your posts that you must insult people once they don't agree with you.

Your insults do not mean you have an IQ(something you talk about a lot but do not own). I have let you know from the post you made, that for insulting me first you will always receive insults from this end.

If you wanted logical discourse you would not have insulted me. You would have been sensible and polite.

But you get what you give.

Your Verbiage demonstrates the poor construction of English you have. You sound like Zebrudaya lol

Further evidence of your low IQ.

Please find your road and free me!

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 05, 2019
If only there were a way for me to prove that Benin Kingdom was a vast empire ...
Oh wait, I remember that europeans used to visit Benin Kingdom for trade and made maps hundreds of years ago which showed the empire.
Hmmmm, I also remember that there was something called the Bight of Benin, named after Benin, hmmmm.
I also remember that there is one post-colonial country which used to be called Dahomey which renamed itself Benin republic in the 1970's, hmmmmm.
I also recall the Benin Bronzes which are in almost every important museums in the world, hmmmmm.
I remember Queen Elisabeth has her own collection of Benin Bronzes, I remember Rockfeller also had his, hmmmmm.
I remember Picasso being inspired by Benin Bronzes, hmmmm

Some of the maps: (courtesy of Bibliothèque Nationale de France)

precolonial maps of Benin Kingdom:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 05, 2019
Yoruba folks, you can't rewrite Edo history.
There are way too many proofs which make up Benin History and these proofs are all over the world.
This is from the british:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2Tac1gNPU

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 05, 2019
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 05, 2019
I have just one question for the yoruba: why are you so obsessed with Benin empire ?
Why do you keep trying to take Benin history and replace on it the name Benin with the name oyo ?
There is no "bight of oyo", nor is there any "bight of ife".
There is no "oyo republic" nor is there any "ife republic".
Your attempts are futile and will never pass the smell test.
Why don't you love yourselves just the way you are.
Is this what your ancestors returning from brazil were thinking ?
Your ancestors were slaves in brazil, and so what ? the jews were also slaves, that shouldn't turn you into history-thieves, instead try to thrive !
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Moneywomen17(m): 5:16pm On Jan 05, 2019
prolog2:
If only there were a way for me to prove that Benin Kingdom was a vast empire ...
Oh wait, I remember that europeans used to visit Benin Kingdom for trade and made maps hundreds of years ago which showed the empire.
Hmmmm, I also remember that there was something called the Bight of Benin, named after Benin, hmmmm.
I also remember that there is one post-colonial country which used to be called Dahomey which renamed itself Benin republic in the 1970's, hmmmmm.
I also recall the Benin Bronzes which are in almost every important museums in the world, hmmmmm.
I remember Queen Elisabeth has her own collection of Benin Bronzes, I remember Rockfeller also had his, hmmmmm.
I remember Picasso being inspired by Benin Bronzes, hmmmm

Some of the maps: (courtesy of Bibliothèque Nationale de France)

precolonial maps of Benin Kingdom:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom
mr map poster I have tackled in a previous thread last year about this fake map u keep posting. And new year u are posting it again.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 05, 2019
Moneywomen17:
mr map poster I have tackled in a previous thread last year about this fake map u keep posting. And new year u are posting it again.
fool, you didn't tackle anything, I was just tired of talking to a fool. The maps are genuine and kept in the bibliothèque nationale de France. There are many other maps of the region which are kept in many other European state libraries.
The fact that these maps contradict your stories which you confuse with history should rather make you realise your stories are mere fiction. Instead of being reasonable, you just stipulate that the maps are fake ? The website itself belongs the the most respected library in Europe. You need to learn how to accept reality rather than create your own reality. Your ancestors were slaves, deal with it !

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Moneywomen17(m): 5:25pm On Jan 05, 2019
prolog2:
fool, you didn't tackle anything, I was just tired of talking to a fool. The maps are genuine and kept in the bibliothèque nationale de France. There are many other maps of the region which are kept in many other European state libraries.
don’t get me wrong the map are indeed very real as it could be. But like I ask last year read the map and point to me where it states that Benin were the controller of ugbodu land or Yoruba land cuz that’s the reason u post it right. U claim Benin empire rule Yoruba land and ibo land u are using the map as some sort of evidence. That’s what I tackled u about mr fraud.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 05, 2019
Just to inform the trolls who think they are "tacklers". People ending their conversation with you is in no way an indication that you "tackled". Talking to an idiot who refused to listen to the voice of reason is very energy and time consuming. I have better things to do in life than trying to educate the uneducatables. I shouldn't even be waisting my time on nairaland at all.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 05, 2019
Moneywomen17:
don’t get me wrong the map are indeed very real as it could be. But like I ask last year read the map and point to me where it states that Benin were the controller of ugbodu land or Yoruba land cuz that’s the reason u post it right. U claim Benin empire rule Yoruba land and ibo land u are using the map as some sort of evidence. That’s what I tackled u about mr fraud.
Last message to you: 1) these are several maps, not just one
2) I don't need to do anything other than providing the maps, it is left to you to locate the area of concern on the map. I am not your nursery School teacher, I won't do the obvious for you.
3) I have wasted enough time already, I have books to read and write. Accept reality and move on. You must know at some point that your people came from Brazil and many other slave camps across the world. It is not even a secret.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Moneywomen17(m): 5:40pm On Jan 05, 2019
prolog2:
Just to inform the trolls who think they are "tacklers". People ending their conversation with you is in no way an indication that you "tackled". Talking to an idiot who refused to listen to the voice of reason is very energy and time consuming. I have better things to do in life than trying to educate the uneducatables. I shouldn't even be waisting my time on nairaland at all.
shut up mr Man U have been ranting and arguing all over nairaland but the moment I ask u one question to back up ur map u automatically have no time. If u are sure of urself instead of this ur latest rant answer the question I gave u just now regarding ur map or do u think u can fool everybody by using a legitimate map for ur own fake reason. Last time the map u posted tell me where it shows Benin control Yoruba territory or ibo territory. Here is one of ur map u use for ur fake claim. It says gulf of Benin but on the same map listed several different territory like Roy de jabou. Where on this map does it say Benin control any Yoruba land answer me and I won’t bother u again

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Moneywomen17(m): 5:43pm On Jan 05, 2019
prolog2:

Last message to you: 1) these are several maps, not just one
2) I don't need to do anything other than providing the maps, it is left to you to locate the area of concern on the map. I am not your nursery School teacher, I won't do the obvious for you.
3) I have wasted enough time already, I have books to read and write. Accept reality and move on. You must know at some point that your people came from Brazil and many other slave camps across the world. It is not even a secret.
I have read the map well no where on several of the map does it states Benin control any know yoruba territory as far as am concerned no Yoruba territory appear under Benin which is why I called u a fraud. If u can’t read a map what’s the point of posting it then or are u hoping people won’t bother to read it too. Stop posting the map to support ur fake claim if u are not ready to tell us what u saw on the map that make u claim Benin control Yoruba or ibo territory.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Moneywomen17(m): 5:57pm On Jan 05, 2019
Mr I have reading and writing to do hmm.

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Franking: 9:44am On Nov 11, 2019
bigfrancis21:

There have been several 'theories' about the origin of Ugbodu, some saying from 'igbo odun', and others saying from 'ugbodunmila'. To the best of my knowledge, these are just guesses at best. The fact remains that these Olukumi towns in Delta North have settled in the Igbo area for so many decades and their town names are purely Igbo names, albeit ancient Igbo names. Ugbodu does not sound Yoruba in any way. Ugbodu has several meanings in Igbo.

Onicha Ugbo.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Sunrise258: 10:23pm On Jan 28, 2020
bigfrancis21:

There have been several 'theories' about the origin of Ugbodu, some saying from 'igbo odun', and others saying from 'ugbodunmila'. To the best of my knowledge, these are just guesses at best. The fact remains that these Olukumi towns in Delta North have settled in the Igbo area for so many decades and their town names are purely Igbo names, albeit ancient Igbo names. Ugbodu does not sound Yoruba in any way. Ugbodu has several meanings in Igbo.

Are you a Yoruba speaker or you just understand it vaguely? Ugbodu is Igbo Odu but when you call it together you get Ugbodu and it means forest of treasure in Yoruba language. I believed you are not Yoruba; Yoruba cannot say Ugbodu is not Yoruba.

Just like Edo people would call Esan Eshan. Esan is a name in Yoruba land meaning vengeance. All Akoko towns in Edo are Yoruba towns. Saying no yoruba towns in Edo is as untrue as saying no Ekiti towns in Kwara state or no Ekiti/Yoruba towns in kogi. Even igala and Ebira people have ties with Yoruba land of Ile-Ife and they didn't deny it till date. Benin Republic people are Yoruba, part of Ghana are Yoruba. Cuba towns are numerous in Cuba and several others. Try n read history very well.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 4:49am On Jan 29, 2020
Sunrise258:

Are you a Yoruba speaker or you just understand it vaguely? Ugbodu is Igbo Odu but when you call it together you get Ugbodu and it means forest of treasure in Yoruba language. I believed you are not Yoruba; Yoruba cannot say Ugbodu is not Yoruba.

Just like Edo people would call Esan Eshan. Esan is a name in Yoruba land meaning vengeance. All Akoko towns in Edo are Yoruba towns. Saying no yoruba towns in Edo is as untrue as saying no Ekiti towns in Kwara state or no Ekiti/Yoruba towns in kogi. Even igala and Ebira people have ties with Yoruba land of Ile-Ife and they didn't deny it till date. Benin Republic people are Yoruba, part of Ghana are Yoruba. Cuba towns are numerous in Cuba and several others. Try n read history very well.

Actually, the current history of Ugbodu is that it has always been an Igbo town that accommodated refugees from Ondo state about 200 years ago. Thus, Ugbodu as a name may actually be of Igbo origin. There is always this tendency by Yorubas to ascribe many words to Yoruba origins when such words may actually have different meanings/origins. Ugbo du/Ugbo edu in Igbo may mean, 'the boat has directed me..."home"'. This is very plausible, given the location of the town next to a river and its founding fathers may have named it so probably after arriving on land by means of boat/water transportation centuries ago. Remember, town names are often symbolic and given for a reason. 'Forest of treasure' may actually make no sense given that Ugbodu was not or may not have been a heavily forested area. I mean, it is possible, but the chances are slim.

Before you ascribe a Yoruba meaning to the word, 'Eshan', first inquire from the people what their name means in their language. In Bini/Esan language, Esan actually comes from the Bini sentence, 'E san fia...', meaning 'they have fled....', in reference to the group of fleeing refugees from Bini land several centuries ago who settled next to the Bini.

Yoruba in Igbo could mean, 'flex tight/keep enjoying' (Yoriba, Yoliba, Yoruba etc according to dialectical variations in Igbo). Abeokuta in Igbo could mean, 'place of stones'. Egbeda in Lagos means, 'gunshots were heard' in Igbo language. I can go on and on and pick over 100 words in Yoruba and ascribe Igbo meanings to them and declare them of Igbo origins, without first consulting with the natives to ascertain any possible different meanings to them, but that would be technically wrong. Do you see the wrong in making unnecessary assumptions?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Africans/ Deodorant / Lovely Names For Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.