Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. (29304 Views)

Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? / The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. / Nigerian Traditonal Wedding: Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 10:09pm On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

Obi is Igbo of course, but the origin is Benin. Otherwise you would have to show communities outside of Anioma and closely related communities where the Ezes bear Obi as the title.
Your cooked up explanation does not explain what is shown in the attached picture one bit. Your argument is like saying because the rulers of Issele Uku were Ogies as first before they became Obis, then the town's monarchy didn't come from benin. Mr Ochei it is clear that you are making things up along the way. But kwantinuuu grin

Ti Ugbodu han, oluku mi. grin

WELL ARGUING WITH A YORUBA MAN WON'T PRODUCE ANY POSITIVE RESULT cheesy cheesy cheesy

IF YOU LIKE GO TO ALL THE SITES WRITTEN BY YOUR FELLOW TOWNS MEN,IT WONT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THE ODINANIS ARE PROUDLY ANIOMA AND PROUDLY IGBO. WE SHARE NO RELATIONSHIP AND NEVER WILL ACCEPT A YORUBA IDENTITY. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by scholes0(m): 10:11pm On Dec 04, 2018
Swashy4:

WELL ARGUING WITH A YORUBA MAN WON'T PRODUCE ANY POSITIVE RESULT cheesy cheesy cheesy

IF YOU LIKE GO TO ALL THE SITES WRITTEN BY YOUR FELLOW TOWNS MEN,IT WONT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THE ODINANIS ARE PROUDLY ANIOMA AND PROUDLY IGBO. WE SHARE NO RELATIONSHIP AND NEVER WILL ACCEPT A YORUBA IDENTITY. cheesy cheesy

Yen yen yen..... grin
You can be anything you like now, nobody cares, I can be British next year if I want to - but history will always be history. it will always be on record that so so and so British family came from Nigeria around so so period.
Ndo.

6 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 10:16pm On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

Yen yen yen..... grin
You can be anything you like now, nobody cares, I can be British next year if I want to - but history will always be history.
Ndo.

KEEP YOUR PERSONAL HISTORY IN YOUR POCKET. EVEN YOUR VILLAGE HISTORY,YOU CAN SWALLOW IT. BUT YOU CANT TELL ME MINE.
UWC.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by scholes0(m): 10:19pm On Dec 04, 2018
Swashy4:

KEEP YOUR PERSONAL HISTORY IN YOUR POCKET. EVEN YOUR VILLAGE HISTORY,YOU CAN SWALLOW IT. BUT YOU CANT TELL ME MINE.
UWC.

I won't be surprised if you are one of the quarrelling parties in that village.
lol

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 10:27pm On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

I won't be surprised if you are one of the quarrelling parties in that village.
lol

Hahahahahahahaha......YOU ARE FUNNY.
WELL ONLY IF YOU KNOW WAT GOES ON IN MOST ANIOMA COMMUNITIES AND HOW TRUE HISTORY IS HIDDEN AND MANIPULATED AND FALSIFIED COZ OF GREED AND SELFISH INTEREST,YOU WILL KNOW WHERE I M COMING FROM. BUT ITS FINE,EVERYONE WITH HIS/HER OPINION.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 6:04am On Dec 05, 2018
Swashy4:

YOU ARE NOT MAKING A POINT. THE FIRST RULERS WERE WARRIORS THAT WERE SENT BY THE OBA TO CAPTURE THE IGBOS OF UGBODU,BUT ON GETTING THERE DECIDED TO SETTLE AND RULE THEM. IMMEDIATELY AFTER THIER TENURE THE EDOS TOOK OVER FOR A SHORT WHILE BEFORE THE IGBOS RECLAIMED THE THRONE. THIS IS EVEN NOT PECULIAR TO UGBODU,BUT THE WHOLE OF ANIOMA. EVEN THE LIST OF THE FIRST RULERS WAS MANIPULATED ITS NOT THAT LONG AND OBVIOUSLY NOT CIMPLETELY TRUE. SO WHY DID THE NAMES CHANGE TO EDO AND THEN BACK TO IGBO cheesy cheesy cheesy...MAYBE THE WARRIORS GAVE THIER CHILDREN EDO NAMES,AND THE EDOS GAVE THIER CHILDREN IGBO NAMES cheesy cheesy cheesy

THE STOOL OF THE KING OF UGBODU IS FOR THE OBI. ANY OTHER KING COMES WITH HIS OWN TITTLE JUST LIKE THIS PRESENT 1. SO FIND SOMWWHERE ELSE TO POKE UR NOSE INTO .

EVEN THE HEAD OF ODINANI CLAN ,UKWUNZU,THE KING USES ONLY OBI.

AND BY THE WAY,OBI IS IGBO.....YOU CAN TAKE UR ARGUMENT ABT IT BEING BINI TO A DUNCE.

1000 likes for this. I don't think the name, 'ugbodu' is of Yoruba origin. I've seen people try to desperately assign 'Yoruba' meanings to the name when the name has just as many meanings in Igbo.

Second, I agree that the list of past kings in Ugbodu is obviously manipulated - it was not that long ago. The Olukwumi speakers in Delta state arrived no earlier than the early to mid 1800s, definitely no earlier than the 1800s, which explains why the language survived in bits till today. Save for westernization and the shift to English language, within two generations or three from the 1960s, the Olukwumis (Ilukwobis) may have completely assimilated.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by oyatz(m): 7:45am On Dec 05, 2018
Sir, where in my posts did I talked about who and which tribe founded the town?

'Why running when no one is chasing you?'

Swashy4:

UGBODU WAS NEVER FOUNDED BY YORUBAS. THERE WERE IGBOS ALREADY IN UGBODU BEFORE THE WARRIORS FROM AKURE ARRIVED AND CALLED THE IGBOS "OLUKUMI " WHICH MEANS MY FRIEND BECAUSE THEY WERE FRIENDLY AND WELCOMED THEM. THE NAME STUCK AND ALSO THE WARRIORS RULED UGBODU KIMGDOM FOR SOMETIME BEFRE THE OBA SENT PEOPLE AND TOOK OVER AMD THEN THE IGBOS. SO IGBO HAS ALWAYS BEEN PART OF THE FOUNDATION OF UGBODU. AND FOR THE NAME,UGBODU WAS JUST UGBODU WHICH HAS ITS OWN MEANING IN IGBO,OR UGBODU UNO. IT WAS THE YORUBAS THAT CALLED IT UGBODUMILA.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Olu317(m): 3:02pm On Dec 05, 2018
Swashy4:

UGBODU WAS NEVER FOUNDED BY YORUBAS. THERE WERE IGBOS ALREADY IN UGBODU BEFORE THE WARRIORS FROM AKURE ARRIVED AND CALLED THE IGBOS "OLUKUMI " WHICH MEANS MY FRIEND BECAUSE THEY WERE FRIENDLY AND WELCOMED THEM. THE NAME STUCK AND ALSO THE WARRIORS RULED UGBODU KIMGDOM FOR SOMETIME BEFRE THE OBA SENT PEOPLE AND TOOK OVER AMD THEN THE IGBOS. SO IGBO HAS ALWAYS BEEN PART OF THE FOUNDATION OF UGBODU. AND FOR THE NAME,UGBODU WAS JUST UGBODU WHICH HAS ITS OWN MEANING IN IGBO,OR UGBODU UNO. IT WAS THE YORUBAS THAT CALLED IT UGBODUMILA.
I doubt your claim as being from Ugbodumila. Perhaps, you are an Ibo man impersonating Olukumis. Even your king's spoke man, a Prince of the town ,who bore a Yoruba name attested to Yoruba ancestry. Are you truly for real?

5 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 3:24pm On Dec 05, 2018
Olu317:
I doubt your claim as being from Ugbodumila. Perhaps, you are an Ibo man impersonating Olukumis. Even your king's spoke man, a Prince of the town ,who bore a Yoruba name attested to Yoruba ancestry. Are you truly for real?

WHAT DO I OWE YOU YORUBA MAN??

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

BELIEVE WAT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT wink

AND MIND YOU,I AM FROM UGBODU-UNO,NOT UGBODUMILA.....GO LOOK FOR THAT IN IJEBU ODE.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Probz(m): 5:07pm On Dec 05, 2018
bigfrancis21:

1000 likes for this. I don't think the name, 'ugbodu' is of Yoruba origin. I've seen people try to desperately assign 'Yoruba' meanings to the name when the name has just as many meanings in Igbo.

Second, I agree that the list of past kings in Ugbodu is obviously manipulated - it was not that long ago. The Olukwumi speakers in Delta state arrived no earlier than the early to mid 1800s, definitely no earlier than the 1800s, which explains why the language survived in bits till today. Save for westernization and the shift to English language, within two generations or three from the 1960s, the Olukwumis (Ilukwobis) may have completely assimilated.

Ugbodo’s a bona-fide Igbo name. Nearly shares the same root as Ogwu-Ogun, Egwu and Ekiti/etiti. Whatever Yoruba equivalent exists can be broken down further in Igbo in a simpler form.

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Olu317(m): 6:00am On Dec 06, 2018
Probz:

Ugbodo’s a bona-fide Igbo name. Nearly shares the same root as Ogwu-Ogun, Egwu and Ekiti/etiti. Whatever Yoruba equivalent exists can be broken down further in Igbo in a simpler form.
Some of you people are quite funny. grin cheesy with this avariciousness.. Anyway, Since you can break Yoruba equivalent words into Ibo's by doing the meedful on these following because these words belllow aren't of Samuel Ajayi Crowther's creation in 1850s that tallied with some Ibo words:

What does Igbo/Ugbo/Ubo of Yoruba mean in Ibo?
‘Bush' in Yoruba

What does Ogun mean in Ibo?
‘Warrior' in Yoruba

What does Oru mean in Ibo?
‘Heat'in Yoruba

What does Bara mean in Ibo?
‘Water melon' in Yoruba

What does kun mean in Ibo?
‘Filled up' in Yoruba

What does Ode mean in Ibo?
‘hunter' in Yoruba

What does odenigbo mean in Ibo?
‘Hunter in the Bush/Bush Hunter' in Yoruba

What does Ikan(okan) mean in Ibo?
‘One' in Yoruba

What does Iwa/Uwa mean in Ibo?
‘Magnificent blameless character'in Yoruba

What does ji mean in Ibo?
‘Wake up' in Yoruba

The above are based on their accents.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by macof(m): 4:00pm On Dec 10, 2018
Swashy4:

Ofe mmanu,shut up. WE HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER REFER TO OURDELVES AS YORUBA. WE DONT SHARE ANY SIMILARITY BOTH IN TRADITION,CULTURE AND EVEN 80% OF OUR NAMES ARE IGBO COZ OF OUR IGBO INCEPTION AND FOUNDATION. DONT FLATTER YOURSELF,WE ARE NOT PART OF YOU. WE DONT EVEN KNOW ODUDUWA,NEITHER DO WE EAT AMALA AND EWEDU�..........ALTHOUGH AS I SAID BEFORE IGBOS WERE ALREADY ON GROUND BEFORE THE WARRIORS FRIM AKURE SENT BY THE OBA OF BENIN TO CAPTURE THE IGBOS CAME. AND EVEN STILL NON ACCEPTS BEING REFERRED TO AS YORUBA.
I would rather believe actual family friends of mine who are from Ugbodu, a chief and even the Oloza himself whom i have met than an imposter and troll on nairaland

7 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 10, 2018
Who else is getting tired about all this talk of migration ? Language similarity is not proof of migration. Yoruba guys need to stop claiming migration up and down, 200 years ago there was nothing such as yoruba, si calm down a bit. Igbo guys should calm down as well, you were not there to witness the events which you are recounting. All that is known is that Delta State in it's entirety was under the rule of the Oba of Benin. That makes them Edo in my book.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Swashy4: 7:00am On Dec 11, 2018
macof:
I would rather believe actual family friends of mine who are from Ugbodu, a chief and even the Oloza himself whom i have met than an imposter and troll on nairaland

That's your cup of venegar .........if u like believe whatever u like,as long as it makes u sleep well cheesy cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by morpheus24: 6:48pm On Dec 11, 2018
prolog2:
Who else is getting tired about all this talk of migration ? Language similarity is not proof of migration. Yoruba guys need to stop claiming migration up and down, 200 years ago there was nothing such as yoruba, si calm down a bit. Igbo guys should calm down as well, you were not there to witness the events which you are recounting. All that is known is that Delta State in it's entirety was under the rule of the Oba of Benin. That makes them Edo in my book.

Beg your pardon any linguist or anthropologist knows that there is a correlation between migration and linguistic/cultural similarities. The whole Bantu migrations are based on this phenomena.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 11, 2018
morpheus24:

Beg your pardon any linguist or anthropologist knows that there is a correlation between migration and linguistic/cultural similarities. The whole Bantu migrations are based on this phenomena.
linguists are not historians, it is not their craft to tell you about migration. You don't ask astronomists to tell you about medicine, do you ?
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by morpheus24: 4:54pm On Dec 12, 2018
prolog2:
linguists are not historians, it is not their craft to tell you about migration. You don't ask astronomists to tell you about medicine, do you ?

A good part of this argument is as well based on "Oral" history so a "historian" is going by the best information available to him, therefore his version of history is not infallible.

Linguists and anthropologists are technically 'historians" depending on the "context" you are using these professional qualifications.

Again a linguist can use language similarities to construct or deconstruct ethnic and cultural affiliations as well as migration patterns. If you need clarification, just ask

5 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 12, 2018
morpheus24:

A good part of this argument is as well based on "Oral" history so a "historian" is going by the best information available to him, therefore his version of history is not infallible.

Linguists and anthropologists are technically 'historians" depending on the "context" you are using these professional qualifications.

Again a linguist can use language similarities to construct or deconstruct ethnic and cultural affiliations as well as migration patterns. If you need clarification, just ask

First of all, oral history is not history at all. History requires documents which were written in the same period as what they describe. Linguists study language, they are not historians. Confusing linguists with anthropologists is a very quacky thing to do. It seems you already have a predetermined conclusion and you will use every ruse to convince that you are right rather than prove your claim which you can't because you are wrong. Archeological findings are the foundations of prehistory and can also be used to help during historical research. But when there is no text or drawing, you just can't call it history. Next time you talk to a guy you don't know, try to sound less condescending, unless you have a Nobel price or a Fields medal.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by morpheus24: 7:04pm On Dec 12, 2018
prolog2:
First of all, oral history is not history at all. History requires written or documents which were written in the same period as what they describe

Semantics. Oral history is history but should not be misconstrued as written or recorded history.

prolog2:

Linguists study language, they are not historian. Confusing linguists with anthropologists is a very quacky thing to do. It seems you already have a predetermined conclusion and you will use every ruse to convince that you are right rather than prove your claim[/b]which you can't because you are wrong. Archeological findings are the foundations of prehistory and can also be used to help during historical research. But when there is no text or drawing, you just can't call it history. Next time you talk to a guy you don't know, try to sound less condescending, unless you have a Nobel price or a Fields medal.

Point 1
: A "HISTORIAN" is a "loose" term for someone who gathers, preserves, interprets and comments on "credible information" from the past and present particularly concerning human events and activity. The discipline is not independent of itself and requires the input of other areas of expertise in its research or analysis. Ergo a linguist can be considered a historian depending on the "context" in which the language analysis is presented. If that observation flies over your head well I really can't help you with that.

Point 2 Your claim below:

prolog2:

Who else is getting tired about all this talk of migration? Language similarity is not proof of migration.

Point 3:
My claim restated: "Beg your pardon any linguist or anthropologist knows that there is a correlation between migration and linguistic/cultural similarities. The whole Bantu migrations are based on this phenomena"

Point 4: Proof of claim_Case in point. The bantu expansion_ a "HISTORICAL" reconstruction of migratory patterns of people in Africa with evidence based on linguistic patterns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantu_expansion

Point 5: Condescending is the least of my concerns, proving a point is much more fun. This is not my first trip round the block concerning such matters.

PS. You can take that noble peace prize and shove it up where the sun don't shine. I am not concerned with such trivial accolades bestowed upon man to stroke his ego. I am more concerned with Fact.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 12, 2018
morpheus24:

Semantics. Oral history is history but should not be misconstrued as written or recorded history.

Point 1[/b]: A "HISTORIAN" is a "loose" term for someone who gathers, preserves, interprets and comments on "credible information" from the past and present particularly concerning human events and activity. The discipline is not independent of itself and requires the input of other areas of expertise in its research or analysis. Ergo a linguist can be considered a historian depending on the "context" in which the language analysis is presented. If that observation flies over your head well I really can't help you with that.

Point 2 Your claim below:

Point 3:[/b] My claim restated: "Beg your pardon any linguist or anthropologist knows that there is a correlation between migration and linguistic/cultural similarities. The whole Bantu migrations are based on this phenomena"

Point 4: Proof of claim_Case in point. The bantu expansion_ a "HISTORICAL" reconstruction of migratory patterns of people in Africa with evidence based on linguistic patterns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantu_expansion

Point 5: Condescending is the least of my concerns, proving a point is much more fun. This is not my first trip round the block concerning such matters.

PS. You can take that noble peace prize and shove it up where the sun don't shine. I am not concerned with such trivial accolades bestowed upon man to stroke his ego. I am more concerned with Fact.

I am not interested in back and forths with you or anyone on nairaland. So this is my last reply to you, you can later on add a huge comment pretending to prove whatever and then praise your ego for winning whatever. I am not playing a game contrary to you. In my book a historians is a guy who studied history in a credible University and wrote a PhD thesis on the subject. History is a science with it's logics and rules. I am not interested in définitions more or less from dictionaries, nor am I interested in non scientific semantics. Once again, your talk about the Bantu and linguists proves absolutely nothing since as I stated, linguists are not historians ! They can have a hypothesis, but still they aren't historians ! History is not based on language similarities, English speaking Indians didn't migrate to India from the UK. Now you can have your comment and be as disrespectful and condescending as you want, I have messaged you for the last time.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by morpheus24: 8:26pm On Dec 12, 2018
prolog2:
I am not interested in back and forths with you or anyone on nairaland. So this is my last reply to you, you can later on add a huge comment[pretending to prove whatever and then praise your ego for winning whatever. I am not playing a game contrary to you. In my book a historians is a guy who studied history in a credible University and wrote a PhD thesis on the subject. History is a science with it's logics and rules. I am not interested in définitions more or less from dictionaries, nor am I interested in non scientific semantics. Once again, your talk about the Bantu and linguists proves absolutely nothing since as I stated, linguists are not historians ! They can have a hypothesis, but still they aren't historians ! History is not based on language similarities, English speaking Indians didn't migrate to India from the UK. Now you can have your comment and be as disrespectful and condescending as you want, I have messaged you for the last time.

Point 1:I am not interested in what you are interested in or what you "consider" the definition of a historian. We are interested in factual information. EVIDENCE!

Point 2: History is not SOLEY based on language similarities but there is "evidence"( no longer a hypothesis) that Language similarities are an indicator of migratory patterns specifically within the context of the subject matter being discussed(Yoruba and Igbo confluences)and Africa at large.

Point 3: Don't bother replying. The information and articles contained in below are for people who are able to expand their knowledge base beyond self professed scientific definitions or ethno-centric trivialities.

http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199846733/obo-9780199846733-0165.xml

3 Likes

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by FisifunKododada: 8:12pm On Dec 14, 2018
Yorubas in the heart of anioma is a fact. No need to debate this. Thank you. cheesy
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 12:36am On Dec 15, 2018
FisifunKododada:
Yorubas in the heart of anioma is a fact. No need to debate this. Thank you. cheesy

Sisiekoorioda....how market na cheesy

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by DonCandido(f): 9:33pm On Dec 15, 2018
Thank you for finally addressing the elephant in the culture section of NL on the common misconception about history and prehistory. Many would still fail to grasp the essence of the distinct for intellectual discourse. well done.

1 Like

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by DonCandido(f): 9:33pm On Dec 15, 2018
prolog2:
First of all, oral history is not history at all. History requires written or documents which were written in the same period as what they describe. Linguists study language, they are not historians. Confusing linguists with anthropologists is a very quacky thing to do. It seems you already have a predetermined conclusion and you will use every ruse to convince that you are right rather than prove your claim which you can't because you are wrong. Archeological findings are the foundations of prehistory and can also be used to help during historical research. But when there is no text or drawing, you just can't call it history. Next time you talk to a guy you don't know, try to sound less condescending, unless you have a Nobel price or a Fields medal.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Tellemall: 2:29pm On Dec 30, 2018
prolog2:
I am not interested in back and forths with you or anyone on nairaland. So this is my last reply to you, you can later on add a huge comment pretending to prove whatever and then praise your ego for winning whatever. I am not playing a game contrary to you. In my book a historians is a guy who studied history in a credible University and wrote a PhD thesis on the subject. History is a science with it's logics and rules. I am not interested in définitions more or less from dictionaries, nor am I interested in non scientific semantics. Once again, your talk about the Bantu and linguists proves absolutely nothing since as I stated, linguists are not historians ! They can have a hypothesis, but still they aren't historians ! History is not based on language similarities, English speaking Indians didn't migrate to India from the UK. Now you can have your comment and be as disrespectful and condescending as you want, I have messaged you for the last time.

Don't mind that idiot.

It is fond of self-aggrandizement and empty noise. It is a little kid with an IQ of 65(that's what it told me).

It believes it knows everything and yet knows nothing.

Once you confront it, it resorts to insults. Don't quote it and it will still look for a way to insult. It is largely unintelligent and that's why it does what it does. It cannot win so it insults.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by baby124: 2:50pm On Dec 30, 2018
prolog2:
Your argument is absurd. Peoples root are what matter not who their overlords are. By the way, most of those groups migrated through Benin to where they are today. There is no proof that Benin controlled them except small pockets of towns here and there. Just like Igbo do not control them but have an influence on their culture because they live close to them. In case of Igboland, Benin influence stops at Onitcha, not the whole Igboland. The Benin were not that big in number to control all the areas you ascribe to them. Also your absurd argument will claim the English are Roman now, the Scottish are British and other false conclusions. It’s the root that matters not the empire. Empires rise and fall but peoples identity lives on!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

Your argument is absurd. Peoples root are what matter not who their overlords are. By the way, most of those groups migrated through Benin to where they are today. There is no proof that Benin controlled them except small pockets of towns here and there. Just like Igbo do not control them but have an influence on their culture because they live close to them. In case of Igboland, Benin influence stops at Onitcha, not the whole Igboland. The Benin were not that big in number to control all the areas you ascribe to them. Also your absurd argument will claim the English are Roman now, the Scottish are British and other false conclusions. It’s the root that matters not the empire. Empires rise and fall but peoples identity lives on!
Proof of my claims:

precolonial maps of Benin Kingdom:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

I didn't know you went back in time to conduct a precolonial census. Also I recall that rome colonized the entire western europe (minus parts of germany) and north africa and most arab states, yet its current population is less than 3 million.
The one thing your brain can't comprehend is that I am not claiming any sort of tribal superiority which seems to be the basis of your talk. I couldn't care less about your tribal inferiority complex. All I claim is that these people were citizens of Benin Kingdom, subjects of the Oba of Benin Kingdom and therefor Edo ! (I also noticed that you don't seem to grasp the distinction between Benin Kingdom and its capital Benin City)
Now enjoy this music and leave me alone, I don't dwell in rewriting history to suit my ego unlike you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w0X1bSrUHs
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by baby124: 4:54pm On Dec 30, 2018
prolog2:

Proof of my claims:

precolonial maps of Benin Kingdom:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

I didn't know you went back in time to conduct a precolonial census. Also I recall that rome colonized the entire western europe (minus parts of germany) and north africa and most arab states, yet its current population is less than 3 million.
The one thing your brain can't comprehend is that I am not claiming any sort of tribal superiority which seems to be the basis of your talk. I couldn't care less about your tribal inferiority complex. All I claim is that these people were citizens of Benin Kingdom, subjects of the Oba of Benin Kingdom and therefor Edo ! (I also noticed that you don't seem to grasp the distinction between Benin Kingdom and its capital Benin City)
Now enjoy this music and leave me alone, I don't dwell in rewriting history to suit my ego unlike you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w0X1bSrUHs
Benin territory has always always been what and where Edo State is as of today. Some migrated out of Benin and ended up in delta and Igboland. Just like the Yoruba’s. Which is normal for human survival. Humans migrate! It doesn’t mean they the benin’s Controlled the locations, it just means there were Benin people living in those areas and their ancestry had influence of the people today. That is why some people with obvious Igbo names will claim they are not Igbo.

The obaship Of Benin is a Yoruba Obaship and they followed the exploration trends of the Oyo’s and the Ife’s whose influence is as far away as The Gambia. Do we now claim that all Gambians are Yoruba’s? Do we now draw our map to include the whole of West Africa as Yoruba territory Rome was very large and specialized in adopting foreigners into its military to achieve that feat. It was defeated by those foreigners who fought back and fought for sovereignty of their various lands. Even Rome was spread too thin after a while and they fell. Benin that is not even up to the population of a Calvary of Romans is being given all these accolades. The truth is even the Lagos that they came to, I have read accounts that they were taken to Lagos by the Alaafin of Oyo and other Oyo emissaries to get a share of Lagos because the Benin obaship were their relatives. It is in the family history and story of the Onikoyi’s and how they came to be in Lagos. The Onikoyi’s were part of that group of people that migrated to Lagos with the Alaafin and the Oba of Benin on an exploration exercise but the Onikoyi’s stayed behind. While Alaafin and Oba of Benin went back but sent their trusted chiefs to oversee their properties. So it’s apparent that they were working hand in hand in exploring new frontiers and migrating their people to these new locations to secure their interests.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 30, 2018
baby124:

Benin territory has always always been what and where Edo State is as of today. Some migrated out of Benin and ended up in delta and Igboland. Just like the Yoruba’s. Which is normal for human survival. Humans migrate! It doesn’t mean they the benin’s Controlled the locations, it just means there were Benin people living in those areas and their ancestry had influence of the people today. That is why some people with obvious Igbo names will claim they are not Igbo.

The obaship Of Benin is a Yoruba Obaship and they followed the exploration trends of the Oyo’s and the Ife’s whose influence is as far away as The Gambia. Do we now claim that all Gambians are Yoruba’s? Do we now draw our map to include the whole of West Africa as Yoruba territory Rome was very large and specialized in adopting foreigners into its military to achieve that feat. It was defeated by those foreigners who fought back and fought for sovereignty of their various lands. Even Rome was spread too thin after a while and they fell. Benin that is not even up to the population of a Calvary of Romans is being given all these accolades. The truth is even the Lagos that they came to, I have read accounts that they were taken to Lagos by the Alaafin of Oyo and other Oyo emissaries to get a share of Lagos because the Benin obaship were their relatives. It is in the family history and story of the Onikoyi’s and how they came to be in Lagos. The Onikoyi’s were part of that group of people that migrated to Lagos with the Alaafin and the Oba of Benin on an exploration exercise but the Onikoyi’s stayed behind. While Alaafin and Oba of Benin went back but sent their trusted chiefs to oversee their properties. So it’s apparent that they were working hand in hand.
I didn't draw those maps. They were drawn by map makers from Europe who visited the region for the very purpose of drawing maps of the region to better understand it and know who to make deals with. You basically just make claims and provide no proof. For your info Mr yoruba, the Oba of Benin has nothing to do with your Yoruba fake Obas who copied the title in the colonial era. The way you guys just keep claiming Benin monarchy as originating from your Ife village is embarrassing. The maps I provided prove you to be a liar, so let us end it right here. No need to change your handle and continue your harassment. History has already happened, stop trying to change it. You can only change your future not your past.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 30, 2018
Basically, I provide facts and this toddler provides his ethnocentric propaganda and he believes he is debating me ? Please kid go back to school and stop changing handles to talk to me. You have nothing intelligent to contribute. So just keep quiet instead of writing your always lengthy trash.

The living can only read history, not write it.
Re: Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. by Ikechu12: 5:19pm On Dec 30, 2018
Swashy4:

Please do not mind those Afonjas. Several Aniomas, myself included, have repeatedly told those folks that ugbodu people do not see themselves as Yoruba and never have. Hell we've provided them several celebs that are ugbodu and what they say their tribe is. I even encouraged them to visit ugbodu if they still deluded. Don't mind them. Afonjas are just pathetic and pitiful. They desperately want to be part of Delta and since their other attach by force have repeatedly identified as a separate ethnic group from them, I guess desperately attaching to ugbodu and others is the next plan. Pitiful. Just ignore them and laugh it off. We all know the reality. Allow them to delude themselves. It's not like what they say on this forum will change what goes on in ugbodu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Lovely Names For Twins / Africans/ Deodorant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.