Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,945 members, 7,835,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me (1860 Views)

‎IPOB: Don’t Believe The Lies About Me, Atiku Tells Nigerians / Babachir Lawal: Disband Sagay’s Committee For Giving SGF Clean Bill – Group / I Don't Believe In Unmoderated Rule Of Law, Prof Itse Sagay Committee Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by smemud(m): 7:42am On Jan 03, 2016
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/i-dont-believe-in-unmoderated-rule-of-law-prof-odekunle-sagay-committee-member/ProfessorFemi Odekunle, an expert in criminology, was an aide to Lt. General Oladipo Diya as Chief of General Staff (CGS) under the Sani Abacha regime andone of those held for the 1997 alleged coup against the then Nigerian leader. Odekunle is currently a member of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Anti-Corruption set up by President Muhammadu Buhari and headed by Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN). In this interview, he speaks on the mandate of the committee with particular reference to the $2.1billion arms purchase case against former National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki, among others.

What actually is the mandate of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Anti-Corruption?
Our committee covers everything, except that we are not operational. We don’t engage in execution because we are not like the EFCC and the ICPC, that arrest people but, in terms of what government should do to actually attack corruption in all its ramifications, our job is to advise the Presidency.
Specifically, we advise in the area of the laws, the operations of the EFCC, the ICPC; about certain policies concerning judges, concerning senior lawyers and how they are collaborating with corrupt people.
For example, we met with the top echelon of the Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, and our Chairman (Professor Itse Sagay) was telling them that whoever is collaborating with looters, they are themselves looters.These are the kinds of things that we advise government on – how do we deal with corruption?
For instance, do we not shame names? Do we not need to withdraw from these people national honours and expose those who have been found to be collaborating with those involved in corruption? Or do we not need to go round the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, and some major capital cities and identify the ownership of houses and ask people whether they have been paying taxes on those houses and where they even got the money to build such houses in the first place? How can the ICPC and the EFCC actually train their staff in such a way that they will be motivated and enabled to attend to their work; or how do we enhance the prosecutorial abilities of those in the Ministry of Justice to be able to attend to the cases before them? How do we mobilise judges to deal with the cases before them more than relying on technicalities?
You appear to have packed so much?Our job is advisory and it is not for public consumption.But in the course of our duties, we meet with agencies, whether it is CBN, Customs Service, EFCC, ICPC, and extract suggestions from them on how best to do their work and thereafter we advise government on what to do.But any agency discovered to be derelict in its responsibilities, we would inform the government and some of the activities you see in the Ministry of Education, in terms of probing certain institutions, are as a result of some of the work we have been doing.
In terms of advising the government on the operations of the EFCC and the arrest and re-arrest of people…
We would not want a situation as was the case in the past whereby people would be arrested, they would end up getting bail and the cases would go on for years and these people will now go to the National Assembly to make laws for Nigerians.Our position is that investigations should be thorough and detailed, and, once people are arrested, the judicial process should be proceeded with swiftly and that is why the 2015 Administration of Criminal Justice Act comes in handy because it disallows unnecessary adjournment and, whenever a case of corruption or something like that comes up, it should be handled, with hardly any break in-between.
But there are those who say impunity is returning and ….
Look, we have met the justices, including the Chief Justice of Nigeria and justices of the Supreme Court, and we laid before them these observations and the have said that they are willing to help the country fight corruption, but also it is part of the responsibility of the government to ensure the prosecutorial ability of the Ministry of Justice, and the agencies saddled with the job of prosecuting because it is whatever comes before the court that the judge will deal with, without public sentiments.
Specifically, many say if a man is out on bail, on what grounds does the EFCC re-arrest him, especially when the order is that he should not be re-arrested, and many are raising questions about the integrity of the process?
I do not think so.You see, one of the problems we have in this country is that we put the interest of the individual above the interest of the collective. As a professional criminologist, I am not for unmoderated democracy, I’m not for unmoderated rule of law in which the rights of the individual will be so hyperbolised and override those of the collective.
If a man is accused of stealing N1billion, and he goes to court and the SANs, with all their shenanigans and technicalities, using the Constitution, to say you have committed a bailable offence whereas the consequences are more than what is bailable, then you are able to get bail; then tomorrow, we find that you have stolen another billion naira, that is another offence and, therefore, you should be arrested. To me, once you get a bail for a particular offence, that does not mean you cannot be arrested for another offence.As far as I’m concerned, the government has even been very gentle and constrained in doing its job and dealing with this monster of corruption. If you know the damage that is done to us morally, psychological, socio-culturally and financially, image wise, you will not be going into this discussion about the human rights of certain people who are actually ruining us. If we don’t make examples of these characters, sooner than later, our future and that of our children are jeopardised.
Are you saying….
Don’t get me wrong please, I’m not saying peoples’ rights should not be respected, but I’m saying that in respecting peoples’ rights, you must respect the rights of the collective.
So, when a man has the resources to hire the best lawyers and is released on bail and he uses his resources to sabotage the evidence, to deal with witnesses…
That’s an assumption or can you give us any specific instance of what you’re saying…
That is the time they are always sick. Immediately you arrest a man, that is when he is sick and that is the time he wants to go for medical attention abroad. This type of nonsense has to stop.I believe President Buhari and his government have been very gentle in dealing with these characters. I get emotional when I talk about corruption.
Some people say this fight against corruption has been one-sided and it is as if it is only members of the last administration that are corrupt and have been interrogated.
I’m sorry…hehe…sorry for that appearance, but I do not think the President will be purposely go after those who served in the last administration. What I think has been happening is that what we call the low-hanging fruits of corruption is what is coming for attention.
Remember he said he will not go as far back as….Okay, somebody like me, I will not go as far back as 1986, but he says that the problem is so enormous and so extensive that let him start with the last administration, the most obvious, that is what I call low-hanging fruits and that is why it appears as if the other party seems to be at the end of the fight. I do not think the government is purposely going after the last administration, I do not think so. The government is going against officials who have stolen money and, to me, from what I am seeing and hearing, he has not even gone after 1% of those people who are responsible for our position.
Okay, what is unique about the year 1986?
As a social scientist and criminologist who has been studying corruption since the early 1980s, that was the watershed in Nigeria’s regression into corrupt disposition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by kokoA(m): 7:52am On Jan 03, 2016
Brilliant piece.
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by mazzi: 7:54am On Jan 03, 2016
Nigeria is a joke! Hope this fake man will say the same thing when impunity comes after him?

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by EasternLion: 8:28am On Jan 03, 2016
Isnt Odekunle the one that escaped death during Abacha's time.

Abacha nearly killed this dolt and he was hiding and crying for help.

You see how men change?

4 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by BALLOSKI: 8:44am On Jan 03, 2016
OP, learn to put your source below the report or story.

When you did your project in school , did you start it with reference page as the first page?
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by PentiumPro(f): 8:46am On Jan 03, 2016
EasternLion:

You see how men change?
Typical Biafran.
They will leave the content of an OP, and just insult.
Seun, Mynd44 and OAM4J
I think it's time you get serious on Rule 1

4 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by EasternLion: 8:52am On Jan 03, 2016
PentiumPro:

Typical Biafran.
They will leave the content of an OP, and just insult.
Seun, Mynd44 and OAM4J
I think it's time you get serious on Rule 1

Please what is it?

This one supporting tyranny and disrespect for rule of law nearly died from the powers of another tyranny, he was hiding all of the place begging Sani Abacha to spare him.

F*ck it, dumb people everywhere.

6 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by oshyno(m): 8:54am On Jan 03, 2016
This man tried as much to justify Buharis approach to fighting corruption or shud I say disobeying court order.

Yes I agree most of those rogues suddenly fall ill and wants a medical check up abroad but shud we be using this toutish approach ? Why not deal with the loopholes so they don't find any to escape.

Build a water tight case and watch them pleading for mercy or plea bargain.

This is my grouse with Buhari. He is approaching it d wrong way and this commando style won't work.

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by BALLOSKI: 8:56am On Jan 03, 2016

Don’t get me wrong please, I’m not saying peoples’ rights should not be respected, but I’m saying that in respecting peoples’ rights, you must respect the rights of the collective.

exactly what the president was saying: 'You want dasuki on bail to go for treatment abroad when you over 2 million IDPs?'

But the headless won't get the message.

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by PentiumPro(f): 8:56am On Jan 03, 2016
EasternLion:

Please what is it?

This one supporting tyranny and disrespect for rule of law nearly died from the powers of another tyranny, he was hiding all of the place begging Sani Abacha to spare him.

F*ck it, dumb people everywhere.
Fuuckk off.
Go and sign your petition.
Nonsense people all over Biafra, you Biafrans are making opposition politics very uninteresting in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by PentiumPro(f): 8:56am On Jan 03, 2016
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by kokoA(m): 8:58am On Jan 03, 2016
oshyno:
This man tried as much to justify Buharis approach to fighting corruption or shud I say disobeying court order.

Yes I agree most of those rogues suddenly fall ill and wants a medical check up abroad but shud we be using this toutish approach ? Why not deal with the loopholes so they don't find any to escape.

Build a water tight case and watch them pleading for mercy or plea bargain.

This is my grouse with Buhari. He is approaching it d wrong way and this commando style won't work.
you don't know the law.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by EasternLion: 9:00am On Jan 03, 2016
PentiumPro:

Fuuckk off.
Go and sign your petition.
Nonsense people all over Biafra you Biafrans are making opposition politics very uninteresting in Nigeria.

Lol, you don't know Odenkule more than I do madam, lol.

He should have said same thing during Abacha's time. grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by BALLOSKI: 9:00am On Jan 03, 2016
EasternLion:

You see how men change?
you see abacha as a devil , and now, one of his victims is now being gagged by you . Hypocrisy! You know why abacha was after him, so what's wrong in him standing against corruption like he's known to have been doing before now?

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by PentiumPro(f): 9:04am On Jan 03, 2016
EasternLion:

Obviously you didn't read the story.

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by vedaxcool(m): 9:04am On Jan 03, 2016
Crush corruption destroy corruption no hiding place for the corrupt.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:05am On Jan 03, 2016
This is the conclusion of the whole matter.
If a man is accused of stealing N1billion, and he goes to court and the SANs, with all their shenanigans and technicalities, using the Constitution, to say you have committed a bailable offence whereas the consequences are more than what is bailable, then you are able to get bail; then tomorrow, we find that you have stolen another billion naira, that is another offence and, therefore, you should be arrested. To me, once you get a bail for a particular offence, that does not mean you cannot be arrested for another offence.As far as I’m concerned, the government has even been very gentle and constrained in doing its job and dealing with this monster of corruption.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Saraki next month. Will be interesting.
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by lurther: 9:13am On Jan 03, 2016
I hate to say these............. But you are a big foooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

people still take you paid agent serious? Tomorrow if PDP wins the presidential election, you change sides. you are just on nairaland looking for political jobbers at any side and at any point in time to come and hire you.

Big Fooooooooooooool.

who takes you serious anyway?
TonyeBarcanista:
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:14am On Jan 03, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Saraki next month. Will be interesting.
That Saraki is yet to be convicted is a statement that the government's anti-corruption fight isn't biting enough.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by theV0ice: 9:16am On Jan 03, 2016
EasternLion:

Which is why its also curious you didn't start your agitations during Abacha time wink

I guess it was too risky to dare the fates during Abacha's era cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by Aufbauh(m): 9:20am On Jan 03, 2016
He that have an ear let him hear what the spirit of the law is saying
You see, one of the problems we have in this country is that we put the interest of the individual above the interest of the collective. As a professional criminologist, I am not for unmoderated democracy, I’m not for unmoderated rule of law in which the rights of the individual will be so hyperbolised and override those of the collective.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:20am On Jan 03, 2016
lurther:
I hate to say these............. But you are a big foooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

people still take you paid agent serious? Tomorrow if PDP wins the presidential election, you change sides. you are just on nairaland looking for political jobbers at any side and at any point in time to come and hire you.

Big Fooooooooooooool.

who takes you serious anyway?
Another pained sycophant spotted! If I were to be a 'paid agent' the cheap way would have been to support these crooks with hope of landing few thousands. But hey, I don't support thievers and will ALWAYS call for their prosecution. Funny enough, I was at most times of GEJ's Presidency on the opposition. If I am "Any Government In Power" I wouldn't have been a critic of the major part of GEJ's administration. How smart are you?

I keep saying it and I will always repeat that unlike you, I'm not driven by blindness and sycophancy. Don't worry, you haven't heard the last of me. All thieves must pay for their theft whether it favors you or not.

Keep Hating Bro....

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by jayonpoint(m): 9:42am On Jan 03, 2016
kokoA:
you don't know the law.
Its only in naija u find pple eatin their cake n still want to have it. Biafrans or are they igbo find faults in every sensible thing currently happening to dis con3. For once we found d true leader this con3 lack over the space of 30 yrs plus since after 1984....for God's sake do some pple deliberately just want dis con3 to bleed to death? We had a president who enjoyed D support of all nigerians bt choosed the looters as against the pple who our him there n yet pilotted Wicked squandered of the con3 treasury n some God forsaken biafran bastards are always here to remind us of human rights n i wonder if they understand the word " human rights" as if anyone has commited human right violation, genocide, n crimes against humanity than dasuki have done against those million IDPs. Whoever wish can go hug transformer cos i am loving PMB approach to tackling nigerians problems słów n steady. Tanoid n biafrans can die in hell for all i care in as long they're against d sanity n progress this con3 is making under PMB.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by Aufbauh(m): 9:43am On Jan 03, 2016
Some people are angry & pained that Nigeria project under Buhari will work and its working.
Their pervading mentality of i can't wait for Buhari to fail is leading them now to golgotha.

They told us before and shortly after the election that we should not be excited about Buhari's anti corruption fight as he can't do much because of their shallow thought of unmoderated democracy that characterized the Jonathan regime. Now that we have someone who is riding on the wings of eminent legal luminaries for advice, they have been overwhelmed by disappointment and frustration.

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by jayonpoint(m): 9:49am On Jan 03, 2016
kokoA:
you don't know the law.
Its only in naija u find pple eatin their cake n still want to have it. Biafrans or are they igbo find faults in every sensible thing currently happening to dis con3. For once we found d true leader this con3 lack over the space of 30 yrs plus since after 1984....for God's sake do some pple deliberately just want dis con3 to bleed to death? We had a president who enjoyed D support of all nigerians bt choosed the looters as against the pple who put him there n yet pilotted Wicked squandered of the con3 treasury n some God forsaken biafran bastards are always here to remind us of human rights n i wonder if they understand the word " human rights" as if anyone has commited human right violation, genocide, n crimes against humanity than dasuki have done against those million IDPs. Whoever wish can go hug transformer cos i am loving PMB approach to tackling nigerian problems słów n steady. Tanoid n biafrans can die in hell for all i care in as long they're against d sanity n progress this con3 is making under PMB.
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by lurther: 10:02am On Jan 03, 2016
you know my prayer for this Buhari's administration?

It is simple....... let Buhari jail GEJ the biggest thief of the century.... the same GEJ you call your HERO.... i would love to see your reaction then.

Until then ....................You are a big Fooooooooooooool......
TonyeBarcanista:

Another pained sycophant spotted! If I were to be a 'paid agent' the cheap way would have been to support these crooks with hope of landing few thousands. But hey, I don't support thievers and will ALWAYS call for their prosecution. Funny enough, I was at most times of GEJ's Presidency on the opposition. If I am "Any Government In Power" I wouldn't have been a critic of the major part of GEJ's administration. How smart are you?

I keep saying it and I will always repeat that unlike you, I'm not driven by blindness and sycophancy. Don't worry, you haven't heard the last of me. All thieves must pay for their theft whether it favors you or not.

Keep Hating Bro....
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:19am On Jan 03, 2016
lurther:
you know my prayer for this Buhari's administration?

It is simple....... let Buhari jail GEJ the biggest thief of the century.... the same GEJ you call your HERO.... i would love to see your reaction then.

Until then ....................You are a big Fooooooooooooool......
I don't care about what your prayer is... Whether he jailes GEJ or whatever does not change the fact that "I am 100% in support of the war against corruption".

PS: GEJ became a hero for conceding defeat when tension was high. The first of its kind in West Africa. That earned him the title of democratic hero and NOT hero in leadership. Stop sounding pained. It's a new year... Don't make yours a painful year!

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by omenka(m): 10:20am On Jan 03, 2016
As far as I’m concerned, the government has even been very gentle and constrained in doing its job and dealing with this monster of corruption.

If you know the damage that is done to us morally, psychological, socio-culturally and financially, image wise, you will not be going into this discussion about the human rights of certain
people who are actually ruining us. If we don’t
make examples of these characters, sooner than
later, our future and that of our children are
jeopardised.
I hope the Children of Anger are seeing this.
Re: I Don’t Believe In ‘unmoderated’ Rule Of Law —prof. Odekunle, Sagay Committee Me by omenka(m): 10:45am On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

I don't care about what your prayer is... Whether he jailes GEJ or whatever does not change the fact that "I am 100% in support of the war against corruption".

PS: GEJ became a hero for conceding defeat when tension was high. The first of its kind in West Africa. That earned him the title of democratic hero and NOT hero in leadership. Stop sounding pained. It's a new year... Don't make yours a painful year!
Dude, get your facts right and stop mis-informing the public.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Popular Fun Facebook Page Makes Mockery Of Crude Oil Price (pics) / (PHOTO) . Which Nigerian Female Minister Can Do This? / Why I Disagree With Fayose On Buhari – Kashamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.