Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,634 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal (23056 Views)

Fayose Receives N4.7bn Paris Club Fund From FG / 12 States Owe Salaries Despite Bailout Funds From FG / States N145b Allocation From FG In July 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Stycon(m): 5:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
captain247:
Fuel subsidy removal is of the advantage when global oil price goes down like its happening now but will be of disadvantage when global oil price goes up.
Say for example, If for now you're buying at #86 per liter with no subsidy and global oil price is $35 by the time global oil price goes up to $60 you'll have to buy at say #120 or more.

Yeah!

And of course, given the present state of our foreign exchange and probably the foreseeable future state(if remedial measure is not taken) with the likely northward fluctuations in the commodity price in the future time, one can only imagine the huge impact it's gonna have on the cost of living~ given that transport cost & production cost are potential transmission channels via which this affects day-to-day living of Nigerians.

I hope the present government will rise up to the challenge; fix our refineries so they could operate at optimal conditions thereby limiting the adverse impact such removal could have on the cost of living of the citizens~ given that we import the finish products at a high cost cum the fact that this is also susceptible to the foreign exchange dynamics.

I strongly hope that as revealed in the budget, measures are on the way to make up for the gap subsidy could have filled if properly used and administered~ by putting up means to alleviate poverty as well as improving citizen's quality of living.

Btw: I doubt if there will be such stiff competition among these marketers that will drive the price below the minimum possible and obtainable price(which might still be on the high side). As for the hoarding, that should be curtailed.

God Bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by AZeD1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
abduljabbar4:

I can bet with my life that he makes more sense than olisah metuh.
It's illegal to use Olisa Metuh and "sense" in the same sentence.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by emeeco(m): 5:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Every year government pay hundreds of billions to oil marketers to subsidise the pump price of premium motor spirit(petrol/fuel) so that you and I can be buying at a price lower than the open market price. What these marketers does is to fleece you and I by hoarding the product and force us to buy at much higher rate than even the open market price while still collecting billions on subsidy. What the government want to do is very simple; since open market price is estimated at N89-N90 per litre, they will no longer subsidise it(it's affordable). That means marketers will be competing among themselves to woo customers and we will experience less sabotage considering that nobody will want to lose their share in the market.

How will you benefit? Simple...
1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel at N3-N5 above the open market price.

2. The hundreds of billions giving to marketers annually will be channelled to productive ventures.

3. The issue of fuel hoarding may hardly arise.

Cc: Airforce1

Without anti-monopoly laws, you are dreaming. With the removal of subsidies, the marketers will collude, and sell at a price far above open market price. "you can use diesel as a proxy" what they did is not removal of subsidy, rather given governments template for subsidy payments, and price in filling stations, there
is no need to pay subsidy given that landing cost is lower than retail cost.

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by anyaekekehinde(m): 5:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
agabusta:

You are a liar and must be very dull.

Which filling station in Ikeja did u buy fuel at 95naira/litre??

There is fuel everywhere in Lagos without any queue at the recommended pump price. I was still in Ikeja today and I took interest in looking at a lot of filling stations just because I plan to buy fuel after service.

After service I covered a significant part of Lagos as the roads were very free and I can boldy tell u that there is fuel in LAGOS not even only Ikeja at govt modulated prices without queues.

This is a new year, you better drop the spirit of bad belle and lying.

Did you visit All the gas stations in ikeja before insulting this dude.. Think about that?
Then you will know who is truly dull between both of you

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by abduljabbar4(m): 5:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
AZeD1:

It's illegal to use Olisa Metuh and "sense" in the same sentence.

LMAO!! grin

But its true sha
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Lordave: 5:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
The money realised from subsidy removal will be channeled into projects beneficial to the masses of the government is sincere.

Check the meaning of subsidy in your dictionary.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by kaboninc(m): 5:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Every year government pay hundreds of billions to oil marketers to subsidise the pump price of premium motor spirit(petrol/fuel) so that you and I can be buying at a price lower than the open market price. What these marketers does is to fleece you and I by hoarding the product and force us to buy at much higher rate than even the open market price while still collecting billions on subsidy. What the government want to do is very simple; since open market price is estimated at N89-N90 per litre, they will no longer subsidise it(it's affordable). That means marketers will be competing among themselves to woo customers and we will experience less sabotage considering that nobody will want to lose their share in the market.

1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel at N3-N5 above the open market price.

2. The hundreds of billions giving to marketers annually will be channelled to productive ventures.

Firstly, it all depends on the international price of crude oil.

Secondly, what we have is a cosmetic removal. The government still "fixes" the price of PMS. So there's no "removal" per se.

Thirdly, in a fully deregulated sector, there will be price differentials between the price sold in Lagos and those sold in Niger. The reason is obvious.

Lastly, unless there is an effective government monitoring system in place, there would be hoarding of the product.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by vicadex07(m): 5:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
agabusta:

You lots cannot blackmail the APC and the intelligent people that protested against the irrational removal of subsidy in 2011 by your ignorance (feigned or real) and attempts at prevarication.

Maybe u need to go and have a look at the speeches and arguments of subsidy removal of 2011 again, if indeed your mind is open to unbias.

No one entirely tagged subsidy removal as evil. Infact a lot of APC governors supported subsidy removal.

The CBN governor then, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi supported subsidy removal. A lot of hate-filled souls prefer to lambast that smart man when it is convenient for them and it suits their bigoted position. But prefer to abuse him and call him a bigot if he is on an opposing view to their stance. What an undemocratic animalistic behaviour.

The main opposition to subsidy then was premised on the fact that subsidy rose from about 250,300,350 billion in 2008, 2009 & 2010 respectively to about 1.5trillion in 2011 without any rational explanation from the govt.

The govt itself agreed that the subsidy regime was entrenched in so much corruption, yet no one was brought to book!

That is the greatest disservice that govt did to the nation. How can govt be duped of billions of naira, yet nothing was done to the thieves who were even around govt circles and flaunting their loot, yet you want the citizenry to pay for such ineptitude.

It doesn't happen anywhere!

We cannot be made to pay for the ineptitude and incapacity of the govt.

That singular action of govt at that time, which resulted in the prices of petrol spiralling from 65naira/litre to above 145 naira/litre was very insensitive and wicked.

And I can assure you that anywhere democracy is being practised in the world, that action of the GEJ administration will be resisted by the people. It is so simple. I don't why a lot of you is taking it as personal thing against Jona.

Corruption was on the highest levels, refineries were comatose, govt did not properly sensitize the citizenry before arbitrarily making pump price more than double it's price.

Infact, it was like a coup against the people as this was the new year gift the govt meted out to them, and u think it will not be resisted by civil groups and labour unions??

Sincerely I can recollect that I felt that sharp increase badly. I work in VI and live around Berger. I usually use one full tank to go to work per week. It was so difficult to adjust to the new price. I was formerly filling my tank with about 4k, after the arbitrary increase, it climbed to about 9k. Transportation cost hit the rocks in Lag.

Transportation is expensive in Lag, and waking up to see it has been more than doubled will definitely cause a social upheaval. It doesn't take a genius to predict this.

Increase in fuel price in Nigeria always lead to a corresponding increase in price of a lot of commodities. Which means prices of everything at that time also more than doubled while the citizens were still on same income.

How won't people protest?? Moreso when they were hearing stories of people defrauding the govt of billions of naira and no one was punished.

Now let me tell u the things that has changed.

1. The current subsidy removal did not lead to an unreasonable increase in the price of a litre of petrol.

2. The present govt has shown a readiness to fight corruption by its words and actions. And there was no scadal about people defrauding the govt of billions before the subsidy removal.

3. There is improved sensitization of the people before the subsidy removal. People are now more aware of the advantages of removing subsidy coupled with the fact that d removal will not cause a marked increase in price.

4. Reasonable & intelligent people have seen a genuine attempt by the govt to reactivate the refineries and bring them back to operation. While keeping corruption at the barest minimum thru the operation of the TSA.

5. Reasonable and intelligent people have seen that the govt of the day is trying all it can to block leakages, and are not showing hopelessness in the midst of massive corruption, and are therefore willing to support them by themselves taking on a little liability.

6. The govt of the day took the decision in a strategic way, while hoping before prices pick up in the international market, they would have been able to resuscitate the refineries and up local production.

This is the best response ever. You really took your time to educate those people. You're a boss.

Am quoting this for future reference. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:58pm On Jan 03, 2016
erico2k2:

Seriously that does not show how it helps the man on the street.these billions you say get into the hands of importers and corrupt govt officials will definitely find its way of disappearing through another scheme.
I'm shocked nobody knows the benefits of subsidy removals amongst young people today however I know why cos there are NONE. No benefits for the ordinary man on the street..What govt should do is look for ways to close the loop holes used by these importers to scam Nigerians.for example what prevents the Customs from doing %100 physical inspection of vessels that bring petrol. Why not set up a task force mandated to check weigh bills at point of lifting and at point of discharge? .If he removes subsidy we will never see petrol in Nigeria.if we did it will be minimum of N 500 per litre.reason being it cost up to N150 or more to refine 1 litre of petrol. Now when you add logistics and other overheads plus taxes what do you think the final cost would be.Once again this govt is a scam telling us it removed subsidy with no working refinaries is a big scam.
The estimated open market cost for the product is N90 per litre. It should even be lower in real sense.

It's better for the yams to be separated from the goats.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

to add to it,
4. the forces of demand and supply with force the price down at latter date as result of more refinery being built. Excess supply over demand will make the price to fall although it depends on the regulatory commission since it's a monopolistic market

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Kunlexity(m): 6:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Thanks for the enlightement.....
In addendum,Some of the so called politician turned overnight marketers will hire and take empty vessel to the government official involved and after those official have collected their own kick backs, all the neccessary document will be given out to such marketer which will invariably qualify them for payment of billions of our national resources for phantom/feign project well done!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by captain247: 6:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
tinktanker:
pls dont teach us nonsense. Crude oil was $60 but fuel was reduced to N87 frm N97.now crude oil is below $40 and fuel reduced to N86. does that sound proportionate to u?

If you have better explanation why not explain to the person who ask the question? Moreover I see that you are unable to understand what is being subsidized here.

I gave an example, you were loss and tag it nonsense simply becos you couldn't understand.

Do you think if there weren't subsidy petrol would be sold at #97 when global price was $100? Go and find out the subsidise amount govt was paying on every liter and ADD it to the #97 then you will understand better the actual cost of Petro without subsidy.

Secondly, go and find out why wasn't subsidy removed when global oil price was high at $100 But now that its low.
Government understand that if subsidy is removed now that oil price is low the country will save more money than if they waited till its high by then people will begin to complain but if subsidy is removed now people will understand it also when global price goes up and local price increase with it. Though gov't hope with our refineries working the cost will not be too high since subsidy has been removed.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by emeeco(m): 6:07pm On Jan 03, 2016
captain247:
Fuel subsidy removal is of the advantage when global oil price goes down like its happening now but will be of disadvantage when global oil price goes up.
Say for example, If for now you're buying at #86 per liter with no subsidy and global oil price is $35 by the time global oil price goes up to $60 you'll have to buy at say #120 or more.

Not necessarily true; you forgot the exchange rate component. Oil prices and Naira value move in same direction. if both prices move at same rate of exchange nothing changes.
"note; rate of exchange here means that if at #200-$1-$38 a barrel, an increase of crude to $76 a barrel, and Naira appreciation to #100-$1, is supposed to leave retail price unchanged"

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by yusufbida(m): 6:07pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

2. The hundreds of billions giving to market ears annually will be channelled to productive ventures.

Brs Orire Owa'n be

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
agabusta:

You lots cannot blackmail the APC and the intelligent people that protested against the irrational removal of subsidy in 2011 by your ignorance (feigned or real) and attempts at prevarication.

Maybe u need to go and have a look at the speeches and arguments of subsidy removal of 2011 again, if indeed your mind is open to unbias.

No one entirely tagged subsidy removal as evil. Infact a lot of APC governors supported subsidy removal.

The CBN governor then, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi supported subsidy removal. A lot of hate-filled souls prefer to lambast that smart man when it is convenient for them and it suits their bigoted position. But prefer to abuse him and call him a bigot if he is on an opposing view to their stance. What an undemocratic animalistic behaviour.

The main opposition to subsidy then was premised on the fact that subsidy rose from about 250,300,350 billion in 2008, 2009 & 2010 respectively to about 1.5trillion in 2011 without any rational explanation from the govt.

The govt itself agreed that the subsidy regime was entrenched in so much corruption, yet no one was brought to book!

That is the greatest disservice that govt did to the nation. How can govt be duped of billions of naira, yet nothing was done to the thieves who were even around govt circles and flaunting their loot, yet you want the citizenry to pay for such ineptitude.

That singular action of govt at that time, which resulted in the prices of petrol spiralling from 65naira/litre to above 145 naira/litre was very insensitive and wicked.

And I can assure you that anywhere democracy is being practised in the world, that action of the GEJ administration will be resisted by the people. It is so simple. I don't why a lot of you is taking it as personal thing against Jona.

Corruption was on the highest levels, refineries were comatose, govt did not properly sensitize the citizenry before arbitrarily making pump price more than double it's price.

Infact, it was like a coup against the people as this was the new year gift the govt meted out to them, and u think it will not be resisted by civil groups and labour unions??

Sincerely I can recollect that I felt that sharp increase badly. I work in VI and live around Berger. I usually use one full tank to go to work per week. It was so difficult to adjust to the new price. I was formerly filling my tank with about 4k, after the arbitrary increase, it climbed to about 9k. Transportation cost hit the rocks in Lag.

Transportation is expensive in Lag, and waking up to see it has been more than doubled will definitely cause a social upheaval. It doesn't take a genius to predict this.

Increase in fuel price in Nigeria always lead to a corresponding increase in price of a lot of commodities. Which means prices of everything at that time also more than doubled while the citizens were still on same income.

How won't people protest?? Moreso when they were hearing stories of people defrauding the govt of billions of naira and no one was punished.

1. The current subsidy removal did not lead to an unreasonable increase in the price of a litre of petrol.

2. The present govt has shown a readiness to fight corruption by its words and actions. And there was no scadal about people defrauding the govt of billions before the subsidy removal.

3. There is improved sensitization of the people before the subsidy removal. People are now more aware of the advantages of removing subsidy coupled with the fact that d removal will not cause a marked increase in price.

4. Reasonable & intelligent people have seen a genuine attempt by the govt to reactivate the refineries and bring them back to operation. While keeping corruption at the barest minimum thru the operation of the TSA.

5. Reasonable and intelligent people have seen that the govt of the day is trying all it can to block leakages, and are not showing hopelessness in the midst of massive corruption, and are therefore willing to support them by themselves taking on a little liability.

6. The govt of the day took the decision in a strategic way, while hoping before prices pick up in the international market, they would have been able to resuscitate the refineries and up local production.

the main reason why the price of. fuel isn't high or felt is because of fall in oil price. supposing the price of oil increases, you will be buying fuel at N130 or more

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Phobia1: 6:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:
Tony, in truth, I am beginning to hate u for talking sense nowadays!

Pls, pls, be partial as u used to be so I can always insult u as I used to do!

angry angry angry angry
ahaha badmouthman
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
anonimi:

You seem to have the wrong figures and dates, bro.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2606895_fuelsubsidygovernorssupport2011b_jpeg5c37e0f0eb35bb083e30b935969cd3c6
That's was their first lie. The subsidy payment for 2011 was N2.3 trillion naira. This is from the CBN and former finance minister NOI

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/3574-2011-subsidy-exceeds-n2-trillion.html

See NOI's words....
I remember when I cam back as finance minister on August 17, 2011, the first thing that met me was this big scandal of the subsidies. By then, more that N1 trillion had already been paid. We went through that whole thing. Since then, we have cleaned up, restructured and streamlined the system, and you see that the amount we have been paying year by year diminished substantially to about N971 billion a year, down from the N2.3 trillion of 2011.

“We brought it from that 2.3 trillion to about N971 trillion that has been in the budget each year. So, we made very substantial restructuring and changes to the whole process that brought the amount down for the nation. But yet we have to deal with this problem and the whole country has seen us trying our best, struggling,” Okonjo-Iweala said.
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/subsidy-payments-fg-questions-marketers-fresh-claims/208440/

Pls correct your first comment.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by agabusta: 6:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
asuustrike2009:

the main reason why the price of. fuel isn't high or felt is because of fall in oil price. supposing the price of oil increases, you will be buying fuel at N130 or more

That is possible. That is what my reason 6 talks about. The govt was strategic in removing the subsidy now, while hoping local production will pick up before international prices increase.

if we have sufficient local production, it may not be priced at 130naira/litre even if crude oil prices increase internationally. it is possible it is lower than that.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by spinoff: 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
agabusta:

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
asuustrike2009:

That will not be in the immediate. If the price increases, we hope that government fix the refinery. With a working refinery, the price will even be lower because nobody has to import to serve local need. It is better than having subsidy and still buying at 150 to 200 naira under queue.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by captain247: 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
Bollinger:

There are no disadvantages to the removal. The question you need to ask is how do countries like germany, who don't have oil happen to never have fuel scarcity and seem to be able to afford it even with the high rate they pay? And we are talking about a country that has plenty of it but can't seem to refine or make it available for it's citizens. How does that not defy logic.

You should create a separate thread for your question just like the Op did. My answer is for the Op that asked the question on subsidy.

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by emi14: 6:27pm On Jan 03, 2016
Thankyou Tonyabancisten. People can enlighten others yet make a hell of noises.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by hmuhammad(m): 6:27pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

10 cartons of Orijin for you, how do I ship them to you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 03, 2016
agabusta:

That is possible. That is what my reason 6 talks about. The govt was strategic in removing the subsidy now, while hoping local production will pick up before international prices increase.

if we have sufficient local production, it may not be priced at 130naira/litre even if crude oil prices increase internationally. it is possible it is lower than that.
well let the refinery start full operation first . Anyway this recession is blessing in disguise as some politicians wouldn't be interested in politics giving room for genuine ones
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by emeeco(m): 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
asuustrike2009:

to add to it,
4. the forces of demand and supply with force the price down at latter date as result of more refinery being built. Excess supply over demand will make the price to fall although it depends on the regulatory commission since it's a monopolistic market

Forces of Demand and Supply are overrated, you don't expect the producer to sell below his production cost. production are done based on perceived demand and at a price. Even if there is no regulatory framework that encourages monopolistic tendencies, there is always a limit to which price can fall.
Realities of the Nigerian market shows that it will never fall down to a competitive price.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Bollinger(m): 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
captain247:

You should create a separate thread for your question just like the Op did. My answer is for the Op that asked the question on subsidy.

That don't make no sense bro. If you don't like being quoted then don't post responses or better still, ask Seun to disable the option for your moniker.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by erico2k2(m): 6:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The estimated open market cost for the product is N90 per litre. It should even be lower in real sense.

It's better for the yams to be separated from the goats.
Bro wrong very wrong.I dont have the exact figure but it can never be anywhere near N150.it would definitely be above N200.the first question you should ask is from what country do they import then check their pump price minus VAT @%20. Should we assume they import from the UAE?
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by erico2k2(m): 6:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
There is no gain for the man on the street if subsidy is removed.plz if anyone disagree plz kindly put your reason in Naira and kobo
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
emeeco:

Forces of Demand and Supply are overrated, you don't expect the producer to sell below his production cost. production are done based on perceived demand and at a price. even if there is no regulatory framework that encourages monopolistic tendencies, there is always a limit to which price can fall.
Reality of the Nigerian market shows that it will never fall down to a competitive price.

It will fall. it's a matter of time before we begin to see the effect. As I earlier said, excess supply over demand forces producers to reduce their price. If we have some many persons refining petroleum products in Nigeria, they would want to secure large market shares as we see happening in the telecommunications industry. Giving license one one or two operators will make the price high at the initial stage ,gradually licenses are issued to more operators of which they wouldn't sell at same price with their competitor.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

That will not be in the immediate. If the price increases, we hope that government fix the refinery. With a working refinery, the price will even be lower because nobody has to import to serve local need. It is better than having subsidy and still buying at 150 to 200 naira under queue.
well let the refinery operate to full capacity before we can say if the price will drop or increase. Anything can happen
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by erico2k2(m): 6:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
asuustrike2009:

It will fall. it's a matter of time before we begin to see the effect. As I earlier said, excess supply over demand forces producers to reduce their price. If we have some many persons refining petroleum products in Nigeria, they would want to secure large market shares as we see happening in the telecommunications industry. Giving license one one or two operators will make the price high at the initial stage ,gradually licenses are issued to more operators of which they wouldn't sell at same price with their competitor.
I think you guys are getting it wrong in comparison. There are two sides unlike the telecoms. U have raw material and machinaries one is local the other is foreign. Hve any of you checked the cost of petrol abroad? I just found out its $1 in India.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
erico2k2:

I think you guys are getting it wrong in comparison. There are two sides unlike the telecoms. U have raw material and machinaries one is local the other is foreign. Hve any of you checked the cost of petrol abroad? I just found out its $1 in India.
It all boils down to policies put in place by the government. production cost can come from within Nigeria and there might be no need for foreign cost. The India market and ours operate.differenly because of business environment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akeredolu Flags Off Planting Of Gmelina Aboree On 10,000 Hectares In Ondo (Pics) / We Have Evidence INEC Procured, Installed, Deployed Servers - Two Groups Claim / Photo: LASG Fires LAWMA CEO Unceremoniously

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.