Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,969 members, 7,810,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal (23058 Views)

Fayose Receives N4.7bn Paris Club Fund From FG / 12 States Owe Salaries Despite Bailout Funds From FG / States N145b Allocation From FG In July 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by erico2k2(m): 7:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
asuustrike2009:

It all boils down to policies put in place by the government. production cost can come from within Nigeria and there might be no need for foreign cost. The India market and ours operate.differenly because of business environment
The only thing that is local is crude Oil which is only %25 constituent when it comes to petrol production. Do we produce all the catalyst used?the solid acids used?all the oxidizer agents used?U want me to go on? ?
Production of petrol goes far beyond fractional distillation and cracking
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Rilwayne001: 7:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
anonimi:
Benefits ke?
Did benefits change name or meaning ni
If na joke, please stop it now now.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3075524_bubu1_jpeg88275f10f2430d13576e18436b244ea1
]

Are you blind to see '"Yet" in the headline??
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by captain247: 7:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
Bollinger:

That don't make no sense bro. If you don't like being quoted then don't post responses or better still, ask Seun to disable the option for your moniker.

Haaaa. You're very funny grin grin laughing in Swahili
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by palibc: 7:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The price would have been lower if our refineries were efficient enough to meet local need. Perhaps, it may sell at N40-N43 per litre. Considering that we import the refined product, worse is the fact that the naira-dollar exchange is high, the landing cost is relatively high. When you add custom duty, transportation and other charges plus the fact that most of these marketers secure loans to buy the product and they must factor personnel expenditure and profit, the price at N90 isn't so high.

refineries or no refineries, it is unjustified for Nigerians to be buying fuel at the price we are....they should stop giving import licence to their political allies. Some of the people agitating for subsidy removal are those who have been whipped sore by the dwindling crude oil prince.
Who is buying our crude? So it does not make any economic sense any more for them(agitators) to continue with racketeering.

Tonyebarcanista, if the federal government gives me import licence today, I can get you fuel at most 20 naira per litre. Even, the touted subsidy removal is not removal but review to reflect the present reality. subsidy is still there and Nigerians are still misinformed about the whole thing...
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by erico2k2(m): 7:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
palibc:

refineries or no refineries, it is unjustified for Nigerians to be buying fuel at the price we are....they should stop giving import licence to their political allies. Some of the people agitating for subsidy removal are those who have been whipped sore by the dwindling crude oil prince.
Who is buying our crude? So it does not make any economic sense any more for them(agitators) to continue with racketeering.

Tonyebarcanista, if the federal government gives me import licence today, I can get you fuel at most 20 naira per litre. Even, the touted subsidy removal is not removal but review to reflect the present reality. subsidy is still there and Nigerians are still misinformed about the whole thing...

Oga from where you go buy your own fuel.which country I wanna know
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by DMerciful(m): 7:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
Leopard does not change its spot.....when will you declare that you've returned to the APC? undecided
TonyeBarcanista:

I also occupied Ojota in 2012. The situation is quite different.

In 2011 Nigeria's subsidy shoot from some hundreds of billions to TWO trillion. How come? The then government kept saying that some cabals and stuff, but it wasn't so before they came on board. Many(including myself) maintained that the masses must not suffer for the government's insincerity and cluelessness. As at then, fuel was sold at N65 per litre, while subsidy was at N80 per litre. That means the government expected us to be buying fuel at N145 per litre(or more). That is over 100% increase in hardship and poverty catalyst. We had trillions in our reserve, there was no paliative and the politicians were in one corruption scandal or the other and walking free. So it was unacceptable and we resisted it!

The government relaxed on partial subsidy and brought SURE-P but what did that bring to us? Nothing. The government promised refineries but till date nothing is on ground. So the 2012 opposition was/is on point.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
Download Petroleum Industry Bill & jack
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
Where will you get that? Have you forgoten naira/dollar exchange?
palibc:

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by engrshakespeare: 8:20pm On Jan 03, 2016
Simplymeah:
Interestin, so majority don't know what subsidy is about and dey rush 2 castigate govt. Dis guy askd a question and none of responses so far is close 2 d answer, smh 4 Nigeria

Even your response doesn't show u have any clue
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by colosa: 8:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
shocked it mean more money for d govt either for looting or working cheesy cheesy cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by ERAKAMUS: 8:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
DMerciful:
Leopard does not change its spot.....when will you declare that you've returned to the APC? undecided
Just ask him to return the I'D to the real owner.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
erico2k2:

The only thing that is local is crude Oil which is only %25 constituent when it comes to petrol production. Do we produce all the catalyst used?the solid acids used?all the oxidizer agents used?U want me to go on? ?
Production of petrol goes far beyond fractional distillation and cracking
we can carry out what we economist call import substitution
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by ERAKAMUS: 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Every year government pay hundreds of billions to oil marketers to subsidise the pump price of premium motor spirit(petrol/fuel) so that you and I can be buying at a price lower than the open market price. What these marketers does is to fleece you and I by hoarding the product and force us to buy at much higher rate than even the open market price while still collecting billions on subsidy. What the government want to do is very simple; since open market price is estimated at N89-N90 per litre, they will no longer subsidise it(it's affordable). That means marketers will be competing among themselves to woo customers and we will experience less sabotage considering that nobody will want to lose their share in the market.

How will you benefit? Simple...
1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel at N3-N5 above the open market price.

2. The hundreds of billions giving to marketers annually will be channelled to productive ventures.

3. The issue of fuel hoarding may hardly arise.

Cc: Airforce1

My Oga from
1. Experiencing buying fuel at #3-#5 at NNPC Outlets or Independent Markets?

2. Examples of those Productive Measures.

3. To the best of my knowledge "Hoarding of fuel" stated just of recent.

Thanks
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by fortune1968: 8:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
RxObiefule13:

WHERE IS YOUR OWN ANSWER? undecided
abi o ! e ba Mi bi i leere o.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by don4real18(m): 8:58pm On Jan 03, 2016
Simplymeah:
Interestin, so majority don't know what subsidy is about and dey rush 2 castigate govt. Dis guy askd a question and none of responses so far is close 2 d answer, smh 4 Nigeria
Why don't you lecture them... Smh
In simple words, it's the money government pays to reduce the cost at which you buy petroleum related products... Subsidising was introduced when our refineries came to a halt and was supposed to be a short term programme while the refineries get repaired but politicians and several public office holders saw this as an avenue to milk the economy dry and have made sure that the refineries don't see the light of day but thank God for sai baba... Kaduna refinery is working perfectly
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Realist2: 9:07pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

I also occupied Ojota in 2012. The situation is quite different.

In 2011 Nigeria's subsidy shoot from some hundreds of billions to TWO trillion. How come? The then government kept saying that some cabals and stuff, but it wasn't so before they came on board. Many(including myself) maintained that the masses must not suffer for the government's insincerity and cluelessness. As at then, fuel was sold at N65 per litre, while subsidy was at N80 per litre. That means the government expected us to be buying fuel at N145 per litre(or more). That is over 100% increase in hardship and poverty catalyst. We had trillions in our reserve, there was no paliative and the politicians were in one corruption scandal or the other and walking free. So it was unacceptable and we resisted it!

The government relaxed on partial subsidy and brought SURE-P but what did that bring to us? Nothing. The government promised refineries but till date nothing is on ground. So the 2012 opposition was/is on point.

My guy you are singing in a different language now ,what has happened in the last two months ? ,can you be consistent to keep that respect ?.
In
Subsidy regime govt. Pay certain amount say #40 for cost of loading,refining motor spirit /fuel while the other cost is bear by final consumer, this palliative cost govt pay to keep the price petroleum at say #87 ,irrespective of the price at the global market.
Disadvantages ;
1.in deregulation, the price of the products will be left in hand of marketers.
2. The product will be scarce and anyone who have the product will sell it any price he wishes.
3. High level of bunkering wil occur.
4. Travellers wil bear the brunt and prices of other products will escalate.
5. Inflation...
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
To the best of my knowledge govt hasnt officially removed fuel subsidy, it's just that Oil prices are so low that the subsidy component is no longer needed. It means that should Oil prices rise, then subsidy comes back in. The good thing is Oil prices are unlikely to rise permanently anytime soon, the bad news is despite the absence of subsidy, low Oil prices mean less money for public infrastructure.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
ERAKAMUS:

My Oga from
1. Experiencing buying fuel at #3-#5 at NNPC Outlets or Independent Markets?

2. Examples of those Productive Measures.

3. To the best of my knowledge "Hoarding of fuel" stated just of recent.

Thanks
Boss, I mean;
1. The Price of fuel won't be more than #3 to #5 of the estimated open market price. This will be due to several factors. That is NNPC can sell at #89 p/l while Conoil in same location may sell at #90 or even #91 naira. A filling station in Sokoto may sell at N92 per litre and so on. The price differentials will definitely not be more than #5. A marketer that does otherwise will only be inviting some other person to kick him out of the market.

3. Hoarding has been on since time immemorial.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by glintspot: 9:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
join the fastest growing Nigeria Business Social Networking Website for entrepreneurs, youths, students, business developers, experts,unemployed, companies, small business owners and people aspiring to have extra income stream in Nigeria & those Outside the country ,Foreigners living in Nigeria and all African countries. Meet fellow entrepreneurs in different industries e.g Real estate, online & internet, Healthcare & Medical, Oil & Gas, Import & Export, Fashion & Style, Education, Entertainment, Agriculture & Farming, Beauty Care and Work From home etc. Create & Discuss topics in different forum, industries and ideas on how to start a business, buy a business, sell a business, business opportunities, franchises, business management, business strategies, business plans, inventions, and entrepreneurship!. Meet new clients, socialize, Chat, share ideas, advertise your business and earn revenue. Advertise for free, share videos, images and join in discussions to create ties with others who share your same interests. http://www.glintspot.com

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by poseidon12: 9:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
Bollinger:

There are no disadvantages to the removal. The question you need to ask is how do countries like germany, who don't have oil happen to never have fuel scarcity and seem to be able to afford it even with the high rate they pay? And we are talking about a country that has plenty of it but can't seem to refine or make it available for it's citizens. How does that not defy logic.

Of course there are benefits. In addition to the points by @tonybarcanista, removal of the subsidy would ensure more transparency(less corruption in the fuel importation business) and would also reduce the incessant fuel scarcity. Government should have no business subsidizing fuel purchase for the rich who happen to be the main beneficiaries (with their fleet of luxury cars and suv's).
By the way, Saudi Arabia just slashed their own subsidy and increased price of petrol by 50% for its citizens.
Nigeria should have removed the subsidy long time ago. Those who opposed the earlier attempt to remove it under Jonathan were misinformed obviously.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by muhakeem(m): 10:14pm On Jan 03, 2016
Simplymeah:
Lol... so u think this ur comment is closer to the answer??
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by muhakeem(m): 10:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
Dcomrade:

But the people occupying government now, while in opposition openly campaigned against subsidy removal.....so what has change now? undecided
Simple, what has changed now is what dey campaigned about
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by zoogy2007: 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Subsidy removal will allow the price of petroleum products to be determined by market force and crude oil price indices. It opens the market and takes it away from government control. Petroleum refiners will be free to set up refineries without the fear of government price control. This will make it quite attractive to potential investors and the issue of fuel scarcity will be no more. The down side to it is that you will be requires to pay more as oil prices skyrockets.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by excel101(m): 11:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Every year government pay hundreds of billions to oil marketers to subsidise the pump price of premium motor spirit(petrol/fuel) so that you and I can be buying at a price lower than the open market price. What these marketers does is to fleece you and I by hoarding the product and force us to buy at much higher rate than even the open market price while still collecting billions on subsidy. What the government want to do is very simple; since open market price is estimated at N89-N90 per litre, they will no longer subsidise it(it's affordable). That means marketers will be competing among themselves to woo customers and we will experience less sabotage considering that nobody will want to lose their share in the market.

How will you benefit? Simple...
1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel at N3-N5 above the open market price.

2. The hundreds of billions giving to marketers annually will be channelled to productive ventures.

3. The issue of fuel hoarding may hardly arise.

Cc: Airforce1
. So u know all these but went ahead to reject the 2012 proposal of removing subsidy
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by spanzed(m): 12:23am On Jan 04, 2016
so how come there is no fuel in Ilorin??all the filing station in tanke are closed including NNPC
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Raypawer(m): 1:10am On Jan 04, 2016
its a new year, change your mindset! undecided

Love Machine:
There is no gain bro.All the money nigeria is making goes to the pockets of politicians and their families only.See the latest budget by the incorruptible president.Budget for cars and food for lawmakers and president have the largest percentages.We make money to feed them only.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Consula: 8:25am On Jan 04, 2016
If u were/are a Lady, can i take u out for lunch? U so nailed this and i am truly impressed that all hope is not lost for this our generation. #ThankYou.
agabusta:

You lots cannot blackmail the APC and the intelligent people that protested against the irrational removal of subsidy in 2011 by your ignorance (feigned or real) and attempts at prevarication.

Maybe u need to go and have a look at the speeches and arguments of subsidy removal of 2011 again, if indeed your mind is open to unbias.

No one entirely tagged subsidy removal as evil. Infact a lot of APC governors supported subsidy removal.

The CBN governor then, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi supported subsidy removal. A lot of hate-filled souls prefer to lambast that smart man when it is convenient for them and it suits their bigoted position. But prefer to abuse him and call him a bigot if he is on an opposing view to their stance. What an undemocratic animalistic behaviour.

The main opposition to subsidy then was premised on the fact that subsidy rose from about 250,300,350 billion in 2008, 2009 & 2010 respectively to about 1.5trillion in 2011 without any rational explanation from the govt.

The govt itself agreed that the subsidy regime was entrenched in so much corruption, yet no one was brought to book!

That is the greatest disservice that govt did to the nation. How can govt be duped of billions of naira, yet nothing was done to the thieves who were even around govt circles and flaunting their loot, yet you want the citizenry to pay for such ineptitude.

It doesn't happen anywhere!

We cannot be made to pay for the ineptitude and incapacity of the govt.

That singular action of govt at that time, which resulted in the prices of petrol spiralling from 65naira/litre to above 145 naira/litre was very insensitive and wicked.

And I can assure you that anywhere democracy is being practised in the world, that action of the GEJ administration will be resisted by the people. It is so simple. I don't why a lot of you is taking it as personal thing against Jona.

Corruption was on the highest levels, refineries were comatose, govt did not properly sensitize the citizenry before arbitrarily making pump price more than double it's price.

Infact, it was like a coup against the people as this was the new year gift the govt meted out to them, and u think it will not be resisted by civil groups and labour unions??

Sincerely I can recollect that I felt that sharp increase badly. I work in VI and live around Berger. I usually use one full tank to go to work per week. It was so difficult to adjust to the new price. I was formerly filling my tank with about 4k, after the arbitrary increase, it climbed to about 9k. Transportation cost hit the rocks in Lag.

Transportation is expensive in Lag, and waking up to see it has been more than doubled will definitely cause a social upheaval. It doesn't take a genius to predict this.

Increase in fuel price in Nigeria always lead to a corresponding increase in price of a lot of commodities. Which means prices of everything at that time also more than doubled while the citizens were still on same income.

How won't people protest?? Moreso when they were hearing stories of people defrauding the govt of billions of naira and no one was punished.

Now let me tell u the things that has changed.

1. The current subsidy removal did not lead to an unreasonable increase in the price of a litre of petrol.

2. The present govt has shown a readiness to fight corruption by its words and actions. And there was no scadal about people defrauding the govt of billions before the subsidy removal.

3. There is improved sensitization of the people before the subsidy removal. People are now more aware of the advantages of removing subsidy coupled with the fact that d removal will not cause a marked increase in price.

4. Reasonable & intelligent people have seen a genuine attempt by the govt to reactivate the refineries and bring them back to operation. While keeping corruption at the barest minimum thru the operation of the TSA.

5. Reasonable and intelligent people have seen that the govt of the day is trying all it can to block leakages, and are not showing hopelessness in the midst of massive corruption, and are therefore willing to support them by themselves taking on a little liability.

6. The govt of the day took the decision in a strategic way, while hoping before prices pick up in the international market, they would have been able to resuscitate the refineries and up local production.

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Consula: 8:27am On Jan 04, 2016
Please read the comment by agabusta:
excel101:
. So u know all these but went ahead to reject the 2012 proposal of removing subsidy
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by zheroes(m): 8:55am On Jan 04, 2016
Dcomrade:

But the people occupying government now, while in opposition openly campaigned against subsidy removal.....so what has change now? undecided
yes they campaingned against it because the government then was so clueless that it will mismanage the funds that will be gotten from the subsidy removal.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by seunny4lif(m): 8:58am On Jan 04, 2016
Na wetin i see be this ooo
[b]Hi y'all, I back!
I went to Olumo rock and fasted for 2 days and these are revelations i received on the mountain.

My 16 Declarations for 2016!

1) 3 boys named Emeka will graduate from one University this year.

2) 15 people from Lagos state will go for Nysc. Be careful not to redeploy or reject!

3) Millions of Nigerians will visit the bank this year. Terrible!

4) 5 girls named Chidinma and 3 named Ngozi will get married before July 2016.

5) More than 50 people will get a job in this country before the year ends.

6) 4 people reading this post will travel before this month ends.

7) I see more than 22 people buying car this year.

cool Some Musicians and actors will beef themselves this year. Be warned!

9) All the people reading this post will buy recharge cards before the end of February.

10) I see millions of birthday celebrations all over the world. You will be a victim!

11) A popular musician will release an album.

12) Hundreds of young people will join at least one social media this year.

13) A young man named Bola will eat rice this month. Let him be wary of the meat!

14) I see only one team lifting the champions league this year. Very horrible!

15) Death will kill somebody this year. Too bad!

16) I see that one day, this year will come to an end. Hmmm. Serious!

PS: If you are in any category, or your friend is, make sure you sow a 'seed of manifestation' so it will come to pass. Inbox me for the account details of the seed.

Book us, for your deliverance or special prayers,
@ No. 4 Lie avenue, opp. Hotel deception, Awolowo street, Aba, Anambra state.

We also sell a variety of 'oils', handkerchiefs and pens for different demons and spirits.

We also do home delivery at no extra charge.

Patronize us! You won't fail to regret it! I promise!

[/b]
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by erico2k2(m): 11:20pm On Jan 04, 2016
don4real18:

Why don't you lecture them... Smh
In simple words, it's the money government pays to reduce the cost at which you buy petroleum related products... Subsidising was introduced when our refineries came to a halt and was supposed to be a short term programme while the refineries get repaired but politicians and several public office holders saw this as an avenue to milk the economy dry and have made sure that the refineries don't see the light of day but thank God for sai baba... Kaduna refinery is working perfectly
U guys will wake up and type from where the sun don't shine.did you end up telling the OP what he stands to gain and where the hell did you see KD refinary working?in your dreams?how did the crude get there bearing in mind we need heavy crude like the ones from venuzuella? Sometimes I think cheap weed is on the lose.
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by erico2k2(m): 11:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
zoogy2007:
Subsidy removal will allow the price of petroleum products to be determined by market force and crude oil price indices. It opens the market and takes it away from government control. Petroleum refiners will be free to set up refineries without the fear of government price control. This will make it quite attractive to potential investors and the issue of fuel scarcity will be no more. The down side to it is that you will be requires to pay more as oil prices skyrockets.
Even at low Oil prices we will never buy petrol at below N180 cos at the moment it's $1/lyre in the US due to cheap oil prices. If we use that rate we are talking N200. vat at %20 N220.so to answer the OP there is No gains for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tompolo's People Support His Probe By EFCC - Vanguard / Bad State Of School In Ideato. Nigerians React / "APC Now Invalid, Let Buyer Beware"- PDP Reacts To Supreme Court Ruling On APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.