Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? (26655 Views)

Ways People Take Revenge On Bad Parking / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Lanretoye(m): 8:27am On Jan 05, 2016
Well technically I don't knw,but I am used to hand brake and gear 1...
Come to think of it,if neutral or/and handbrake position is enough to station the vehicle in all cases,then why do automatic transmission vehicles come with park,neutral and hand brake too.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by professore(m): 8:29am On Jan 05, 2016
I think I learnt some things
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by anigbajumo(m): 8:46am On Jan 05, 2016
mandy4s:

A Ground that is "Topographic" in shape shocked shocked shocked Oh Brother!

Slopy Land bro
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 9:09am On Jan 05, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

I do my best.

On a scale of 10.....
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by islandmoon: 9:29am On Jan 05, 2016
this is one of the reason i believe my uncle is stupid till date, he insulted me for using handbrake when i helped him to park his manual Peugeot boxer bus on a flat road, he asked me for the key and i gave it to him without telling him i had used the handbrake because it is a normal thing to me, when he got to where i parked the vehicle, he started firing and screeching the tires until it became so hot and some guys had to help me pushed it out, still he didn't know he only need to just release the hand brake! He drove the car for about 6mins when sometime like Tyre started smelling and he called a mechanic, who told him the vehicle has not been pulling well because of the handbrake has not been deactivated!

you wont believe he disagree about pulling hand brake whenever you park your manual transmission! i tried to educate him but he still of opinion that it is wrong using handbrake, he felt its okay to just put the car in neutral and leave it so. this is someone who doesn't use gear to station car oo

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:
Not too long ago, we (my colleague and I) riding on our project vehicle (a manual transmission Mitsubishi truck) to one of our sites, entered a discussion.

We talked about where the correct position of the gear should be when a manual transmission car is at parking state.

I am of the opinion that the gear position should be at No 1 (gear one). My reason is for the gear to give the car a second stationary protection (A backup to the handbrake).

Recall that when a car (manual gear system) is at rest (not started) at any gear position without clutching down, it is next to impossible to set that car on motion manually (giving the car a push or pull)

He, on the contrary is of the opinion that the gear position should be Neutral. That the handbrake should be sufficient to ensure a no motion state at parking position.

What of if the handbrake fails?

I decided to bring it here to get more insight on this subject.

Lalasticlala, give it a push.

Well, OP you are right.

There are instances when the parking brakes could slip.

So an engaged gear gives added protection.

Now there is also another thing. Parking on slopes especially when there is kerb at the sides of the road. If you park alongside a kerb and you are facing downhill, your wheels should be turned towards the kerb. If you are facing uphill, then they should be turned away from the kerb. Always ensure that your steering has engaged its lock before leaving your vehicle.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 05, 2016
Lanretoye:
Well technically I don't knw,but I am used to hand brake and gear 1...
Come to think of it,if neutral or/and handbrake position is enough to station the vehicle in all cases,then why do automatic transmission vehicles come with park,neutral and hand brake too.

Good point.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 05, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Handbrake locks only the rear wheels dude,stop spewing trash.
Get a car that comes with d owner's manual or better still u can download one for Ur car All the cars I've driven come with one the only one that didn't I downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Read, read use ur brain.
Smh he calls me a novice, keep displaying your ignorance.

You never can tell, he may be driving his great grandfather's car. There was actually a time when parking brakes used to lock front wheels too but those days are long gone now.

On another note he may be confusing parking brakes with the park mode of an auto trans. In that case the park mode locks the moving wheels of the car. (FWD locks the front, RWD locks the rear, AWD locks all four)
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by laginks: 9:43am On Jan 05, 2016
This is exactly what I want to say. Had similar argument with my younger sister last week. Just put the the car on neutral position with your hand break simple. I keep saying to my hubby that there is a big difference btw drivers that actually attended a driving school and those that didn't.
linearity:
Why will you want to still be putting load on your gear system when the vehicle is at rest and parked?

The gear will now be carrying load the load of your entire car, overtime this will adversely affect the gear system, put the car in neutral and engage the hand break if you need torque against any unanticipated motion.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by paulobi: 9:49am On Jan 05, 2016
shepherd77:
Learning

Abeg how can i get the identity if the owner of a particular phone number.

I'm chatting with one f.oolish scammer. He revealed himself as Senator Bukola Saraki. He asked if I needed a job with the Nigerian customs. I answered yes.

Then he told me to contact one Alhaji. He gave the phone number.

I'll like to get the true identity if the owner of the number so i can take appropriate legal measures.

I'll reveal the screenshots of our chat session on a thread soon.
. Go 2 google. Download trucaller application.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by niceeric(m): 9:59am On Jan 05, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Even if it doesn't come with ur car.
You can download one from the manufacturer's site free.
Its just laziness to read they prefer listening to their Kazeem.
Imagine Derkaiser insisting handbrake locks all four wheels, an embarrassment he can just save himself by using Google.
lol I tire ooo....please help me ask him why racers use the handbrake for drifting if it actually locks the 4.....and y if u want to make a sharp 'c' for defensive driving or turn around on good speed why u need to use the handbrake ...
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by iswallker(m): 10:18am On Jan 05, 2016
shock your car with a stone...on any gear...thank me latter... tongue
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by tr3y(m): 10:22am On Jan 05, 2016
shepherd77:
Learning

I'm chatting with one f.oolish scammer. He revealed himself as Senator Bukola Saraki. He asked if I needed a job with the Nigerian customs. I answered yes.

I'll like to get the true identity if the owner of the number so i can take appropriate legal measures.

He also added me through linkedin and ask if ayam interested in Customs job.
I never replied coz I no get his time. 419 oloshi.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by tr3y(m): 10:23am On Jan 05, 2016
iswallker:
shock your car with a stone...on any gear...thank me latter... tongue

Nothing beats doing it old school
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Lanceslot(m): 10:35am On Jan 05, 2016
shepherd77:
Learning

Truecaller App...
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 11:18am On Jan 05, 2016
Ganoderma:

Well, OP you are right.

There are instances when the parking brakes could slip.

So an engaged gear gives added protection.

Now there is also another thing. Parking on slopes especially when there is kerb at the sides of the road. If you park alongside a kerb and you are facing downhill, your wheels should be turned towards the kerb. If you are facing uphill, then they should be turned away from the kerb. Always ensure that your steering has engaged its lock before leaving your vehicle.

Thanks for this.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 11:44am On Jan 05, 2016
professore:
I think I learnt some things
Be my guest
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by professore(m): 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

Be my guest
I don't understand
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by 4C2215131: 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
I use both. Sorta used to it.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Opoki(m): 12:54pm On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

I disagree.

He must have his own opinion. He is human like you and I.
Apologies bro.

He's wrong though.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by ogmaskman: 1:04pm On Jan 05, 2016
DerKaiser:

That is only if you are parked on a steep or slopy hill otherwise you are perfectly okay to disengage your handbrake before applying the first gear to take off if on a flat surface.

It's not the right thing to do sir. Driving is serious business and it has rules guiding it. The standard practice is engage your gear befor disengaging your parking break irrespective of the surface. If you do this you are doing the right thing. In the same vein, you engage your parking break befor you disengage your gear with your leg on the break pedal in park position. This is the standard practice. The reason is when u finally release the break pedal, the parking break is already engaged. This will put no pressure on the gear in automatic transmission no matter the surface , while in manual transmission you do not need the gear engaged in park position.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 1:47pm On Jan 05, 2016
professore:

I don't understand

In British English, "be my guest" is something you say when you give someone ​permission to do or use something.

Recall you said,
"I think I learnt some things"

Comprehend?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by islandmoon: 2:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
Neutral , then pull the hand brake
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by professore(m): 2:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

In British English, "be my guest" is something you say when you give someone ​permission to do or use something.

Recall you said,

Comprehend?
Yes,I want u to also be my visitor grin
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Osisie(m): 3:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
ihatebuhari:

I wanted to talk about your moniker and signature, buh, after seeing your dp, ama just keep my mouth shut.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by goldfish27(m): 5:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
YoungDaddyB:
When parking downhill it should be on Reverse and Hand break, any other state of parking (uphill or flatland) should be on gear 1 and hand break. Check Car manuals and driving school books. Professional manual driver speaking here.

Guy u 4get to put stone under ur tire after u park u no know say na Africa we dey...

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Sammyblaq(m): 6:41pm On Jan 05, 2016
On how you break... gear back to 1. Come down, carry block place for the back of the 4tires. Kpam!
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 05, 2016
Vehicle should be left in gear when parked to complement the handbrakes.

BTW, Who starts a manual vehicle without verifying gear position? Moreso your brake pedals should be pressed before starting a vehicle irrespective of the transmission type, so I see no unintended jumping being permitted to occur to catastrophic extents even if you accidentally started a manual car in gear.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by 1kinggy(m): 4:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
kirchofff:
U mean deGEAR of man u?

NOOO... Chelsea autoMATIC.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
jnrbayano:
Not too long ago, we (my colleague and I) riding on our project vehicle (a manual transmission Mitsubishi truck) to one of our sites, entered a discussion.

We talked about where the correct position of the gear should be when a manual transmission car is at parking state.

I am of the opinion that the gear position should be at No 1 (gear one). My reason is for the gear to give the car a second stationary protection (A backup to the handbrake).

Recall that when a car (manual gear system) is at rest (not started) at any gear position without clutching down, it is next to impossible to set that car on motion manually (giving the car a push or pull)

He, on the contrary is of the opinion that the gear position should be Neutral. That the handbrake should be sufficient to ensure a no motion state at parking position.

What of if the handbrake fails?

I decided to bring it here to get more insight on this subject.

Lalasticlala, give it a push.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by ayobamiakinrind(m): 11:49pm On Jul 10, 2016
marshalcarter:
All dis ppl wey write 1 single letter.....shey una blow weed undecided
1 and single?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 11:46am On Jul 11, 2016
ayobamiakinrind:

1 and single?

Hahahahaha

2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Gets a Facelift / Would You Buy This Mclaren F1 For N5.8 Billion? (photos) / Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria