Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? (48142 Views)

Why Buying Iphone7 Is A Complete Waste Of Money / Is Buying And Using Iphone In Nigeria A Waste Of Fund Or Wise Venture? / Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by DanjaNinja(m): 2:08am On Jan 12, 2016
[quote author=treelover post=41861704][/quote]

The term "unlimited wifi" is misleading. There is no such thing as unlimited wifi. Wifi is a wireless technology that provides wireless access to local access networks (LANs). It is the LANs in the form of Dsl (phone lines), Cable and fibre optics that connect the end user to the internet service providers (ISP). And it is the ISP that provides the internet service and determines how fast your internet would be. Sometimes, the physical network provider and the internet service provider is the same entity - MTN as an example. MTN is both an internet service provider and a GSM network provider. As a GSM network provider, MTN, through its GSM network, provides a platform for you to connect with others GSM networks - providing voice and sms services to you the end user. If you remember clearly, back in 2001 when MTN came to Nigeria, it had no internet services. Yes, It had the network, but it wasn't an internet service provider. MTN became an ISP in 2004. As an internet service provider, mtn also allows you to use its GSM networks to connect to the internet. However, in most developed countries, the network service provider and the internet service provider are different entities. So in essence, the wifi you think of in the us is just a wireless means of connecting to the "cable" aka LAN.

Secondly, wifi as wireless medium has speed limits. Thus saying wifi is unlimited is misleading. There are three kinds of wifi:
802.11g with max speed of 54Mb/s
802.11n with max speed of 450mb/s and
802.11ac with max speed of 1300b/s i.e 1.3Gb/s. Mind you, these speeds are theoretical maximums. Real world speeds are lower.

Lastly, just because you have a fast wifi does not mean you get fast internet. For example, you have an 802.11ac (1200Mb/s) wifi router connected to a LAN with an ISP that offers you an 80Mb/s internet (which is what i have tongue tongue). You will not get 1200Mb/s but approximately 77Mb/s. You see the difference? Fast wifi is not fast internet. It is the speed which your ISP provides that matters.

Did i make any sense?

3 Likes

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by DanjaNinja(m): 2:13am On Jan 12, 2016
tsdarkside:

we could bypass this problem by streaming to each other in the area...when someone has a film,he can stream the film to 100 or more people that are near to him,by turning his wlan to a hotspot...this strategie needs more cooperation between people in a area...

this data-bandits would be cut off,and forced to upgrade the broadband in nigeria....

This is a cool idea but it has serious technical limitations because wifi as a transmission medium, has a very poor range. What you need is a MESH network based on wifi. And to achieve this, everyone needs to buy a wifi router. Even if you solve the physical mesh network challenge, you still need to develop an application that would permit peer to peer video streaming.

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by DanjaNinja(m): 2:16am On Jan 12, 2016
koonbey:

No Sir.

At 9.5+ MB/s download speed, my connection translates to about 80mb/s. Here in Nigeria.

Bros, are you sure you are in Nigeria? Oya provide a screenshot of your speedtest.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by tsdarkside(m): 4:44am On Jan 12, 2016
DanjaNinja:

This is a cool idea but it has serious technical limitations because wifi as a transmission medium, has a very poor range. What you need is a MESH network based on wifi. And to achieve this, everyone needs to buy a wifi router. Even if you solve the physical mesh network challenge, you still need to develop an application that would permit peer to peer video streaming.

but its possible...i have 2 wifi routers...that i dont use....wifi routers are like pop-corn..the are lying around everywere unused...i dont know what a mesh is.....you dont need to develope application that would permit peer to peer video streaming..their are freewares on the internet...already developed
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by mikolo80: 6:34am On Jan 12, 2016
bigtt76:
Lol 7HD movies and you expect it to be 3GB? The higher the video quality the more data consumed. Change your Netflix player settings to low quality. It's still better.
you de mind d mumu
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by bigtt76(f): 8:50am On Jan 12, 2016
On the contrary, he's not a mumu ....it was just an oversight. It happens when you're just using an app and you get engrossed. I'm quite sure the HD movies might even be old movies he's watched before but because of the new experience decided to get the best view out of it.

mikolo80:
you de mind d mumu

3 Likes

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by swagifted(m): 10:01am On Jan 12, 2016
Rapsowdee01:

Na MTN Hynet... Just contact their customer care.. Tell them u want a special subscription.... Then they'll na ask you your preference
that's fair tho...I have their flier ...de said 52K for unlimited plan 24/7... 10mbs...that's the highest...monthly.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Rapsowdee01(m): 4:05pm On Jan 12, 2016
swagifted:
that's fair tho...I have their flier ...de said 52K for unlimited plan 24/7... 10mbs...that's the highest...monthly.

You can see them for special bundles too.... They allow it
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 12, 2016
Rapsowdee01:
OP !!! 60GB-- 25k ? When i use 1000000GB for 100000Naira...... Shiior....
please how is that possible, please throw some light on how you purchase it. I want to do likewise
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by cooldays(m): 10:06pm On Jan 12, 2016
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Rapsowdee01(m): 8:12am On Jan 13, 2016
profJohnny:

please how is that possible, please throw some light on how you purchase it. I want to do likewise

Na MTN Hynet... Just contact their customer care.. Tell
them u want a special subscription.... Then they'll na
ask you your preference
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Walexz02(m): 9:53am On Jan 13, 2016
Divineluv14:
It's free here in Yemen cool
You mean yemetu or what

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Sarhyd(m): 11:52am On Jan 13, 2016
When I can use my Etisalat 0.0 to watch good quality movies on showbox and movie hd.God punish Netflix
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Orator2383: 8:25pm On Jan 13, 2016
If you have money to throw away Netflix. When I can download as I like on my awoof line on camon c8
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by ND4real10: 9:47pm On Jan 13, 2016
Well, Netflix has been in the US for a while now and has been patronized and promoted by Americans. Nigeria has a very Hi Tech Internet based movie platform which is not riding on YouTube and a perfect match for Netflix if not better in the name of NollyLand.

Check out www.nollyland.com . You can down even download NollyLand apps for free via http://nolly.land/apps . NollyLand can also be watched on Television with the aid of NollyLand media player Checkout https://shop.nollyland.com/cart.php?gid=1 . NollyLand is built from ground up by Nigerians and has been carefully designed and made available to Nigerian movie owners and viewers but it appears Nigerians find it very difficult to support their own.

It appears Nigerian movie owners are comfortable dumping their movies for free on YouTube. Thereby devaluing them simply because of the perceived complex issues.

The big question then is how will Nigeria grow if we don't patronize our own products?

In a similar development check out Innoson cars via the link below

https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=innoson+cars&biw=1366&bih=634&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc2NSL0qfKAhUEVhoKHXZxDJ8QsAQIKQ

NollyLand just like Innoson Group will create employments for our brother and sisters at home. Nigerians in diaspora and those at home including movie owners should support them. Note that NollyLand is just a middleman bringing African movies produced by the owners to the global viewing audience. We need to work as a people to assist the government in the fight to eradicate joblessness in our society. Let us all appreciate our own product. Encourage our friends and relatives to watch NollyLand.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by mikolo80: 11:21pm On Jan 13, 2016
bigtt76:
On the contrary, he's not a mumu ....it was just an oversight. It happens when you're just using an app and you get engrossed. I'm quite sure the HD movies might even be old movies he's watched before but because of the new experience decided to get the best view out of it.

chei brains and class join. abeg bigtt80 and below de
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 14, 2016
DanjaNinja:

The term "unlimited wifi" is misleading. There is no such thing as unlimited wifi. Wifi is a wireless technology that provides wireless access to local access networks (LANs). It is the LANs in the form of Dsl (phone lines), Cable and fibre optics that connect the end user to the internet service providers (ISP). And it is the ISP that provides the internet service and determines how fast your internet would be. Sometimes, the physical network provider and the internet service provider is the same entity - MTN as an example. MTN is both an internet service provider and a GSM network provider. As a GSM network provider, MTN, through its GSM network, provides a platform for you to connect with others GSM networks - providing voice and sms services to you the end user. If you remember clearly, back in 2001 when MTN came to Nigeria, it had no internet services. Yes, It had the network, but it wasn't an internet service provider. MTN became an ISP in 2004. As an internet service provider, mtn also allows you to use its GSM networks to connect to the internet. However, in most developed countries, the network service provider and the internet service provider are different entities. So in essence, the wifi you think of in the us is just a wireless means of connecting to the "cable" aka LAN.

Secondly, wifi as wireless medium has speed limits. Thus saying wifi is unlimited is misleading. There are three kinds of wifi:
802.11g with max speed of 54Mb/s
802.11n with max speed of 450mb/s and
802.11ac with max speed of 1300b/s i.e 1.3Gb/s. Mind you, these speeds are theoretical maximums. Real world speeds are lower.

Lastly, just because you have a fast wifi does not mean you get fast internet. For example, you have an 802.11ac (1200Mb/s) wifi router connected to a LAN with an ISP that offers you an 80Mb/s internet (which is what i have tongue tongue). You will not get 1200Mb/s but approximately 77Mb/s. You see the difference? Fast wifi is not fast internet. It is the speed which your ISP provides that matters.

Did i make any sense?

U made sense but story too much. The average user has no time for all these terminologies. Unlimited WiFi or unlimited internet is the same thing to the average user. When we say unlimited/fast WiFi we actually mean unlimited/fast internet. If we can get a steady speed of 10mbps unlimited internet access in Nigeria for now we will be OK. That is enough to stream even a 720p video without buffering.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by texazzpete(m): 8:55am On Jan 14, 2016
Acidosis:
Lol

cheesy

I'm actually laughing at those who criticize DSTV.

How long have you worked for DSTV?
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by DanjaNinja(m): 3:56pm On Jan 24, 2016
greenhulk:

U made sense but story too much. The average user has no time for all these terminologies. Unlimited WiFi or unlimited internet is the same thing to the average user. When we say unlimited/fast WiFi we actually mean unlimited/fast internet. If we can get a steady speed of 10mbps unlimited internet access in Nigeria for now we will be OK. That is enough to stream even a 720p video without buffering.

With all due respect my friend, my post wasn't meant for you. If you think it was too lengthy, kindly ignore it especially if u still post misleading information on unlimited WiFi = unlimited internet. What u don't realize is that some people actually come here to learn and its imperative not to post misleading information. Thank u

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by DanjaNinja(m): 3:58pm On Jan 24, 2016
tsdarkside:

but its possible...i have 2 wifi routers...that i dont use....wifi routers are like pop-corn..the are lying around everywere unused...i dont know what a mesh is.....you dont need to develope application that would permit peer to peer video streaming..their are freewares on the internet...already developed

So what's stopping you then?
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by newspapers: 8:27am On Feb 11, 2016
Wait wait wait people. Even after adjusting the data settings on Netflix, it still consumes over 300MB per hour (minimum)! Techsonite however has a way around it in this tutorial and it worked for me - http://www.techsonite.com/how-to-reduce-netflix-movies-data-consumption-and-save-0-7gb/

The cheat was simply using the Opera Max VPN alongside Netflix. Just check out the tutor above and follow his photo post guide.

I believe this helps!
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by iyaboi95: 8:08am On Jun 05, 2017
bidemi12:

300Gigs? 3 week? Haba. Wetin una de download?
abeg help me ask them
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by slimjay0001: 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
Some ISP provides unlimited data monthly but they do this not by the use of WIFI modems but rather through fibre or radio link. you can contact me for more enquiries whatapp (08069668399). Here you are not buying data rather you are buying speed.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by skywalker240(m): 6:49pm On Nov 25, 2019
LOVEGINO:
Don't worry bro. With the help of PMB, e go beta. In d next 6month, data will be N100 for 1gig.
i hope you are still in nairaland. ?
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by LOVEGINO(m): 7:21pm On Nov 25, 2019
skywalker240:

i hope you are still in nairaland. ?
lol. bros abeg lemme. I nor well.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by chiron(m): 7:40pm On Nov 25, 2019
LOVEGINO:
Don't worry bro. With the help of PMB, e go beta. In d next 6month, data will be N100 for 1gig.

2019 and data is phucking expensive
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by hurryup123(m): 4:20am On Dec 25, 2019
please who's currently watching Netflix and what plan are you using
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by aura111: 7:11pm On Apr 23, 2020
I still prefer DStv,I don't see why you subscribe and still use your internet data to watch these shows again considering the fact that data in our country has its short comings
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by samojay20(m): 9:37pm On Apr 23, 2020
LOVEGINO:

This particular comment did not age well cheesy

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by nnemekaemmanuel: 11:27pm On Apr 23, 2020
LOVEGINO:

Where are we now? sad
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by nnemekaemmanuel: 11:28pm On Apr 23, 2020
samojay20:

This particular comment did not age well cheesy

Lol swears

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

American Man Traces Owner Of Wrong Number That Has Been Calling Him For 20 Years / Simon Petrus Invented Phone In Namibia Which Does Not Use Airtime (Photos,Video) / My Experience Using Tecno WX3 Pro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.