Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,496 members, 7,836,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. (4241 Views)

BAKARE BOMBSHELL: How I Was Forced To Sign Resignation Letter As VP Candidate / Obasanjo In Igbo Attire, Poses With Igbo Leaders (Photo) / Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by walata44(m): 11:53am On Jun 20, 2009
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/19/610.html

By Leo Igwe
Friday, June 19, 2009
One of the contentious issues in the debate over homosexuality and same sex marriage is whether a marriage between persons of the same gender is totally alien to African culture and tradition. Those opposing same sex marriage have continued to argue that same gender union is foreign to Africa. On the contrary, I have tried to draw their attention to the fact that there is a strain of the same gender marriage in African tradition particularly in Igboland.

And that we should not rush to deny this, or pretend it does not exist or just sweep it under the carpet in the quest to establish that same gender marriage is alien to the African continent, and must be banned.

I hail from Mbaise in Imo State in Southern Nigeria. Traditionally, in my community, marriage is taken to be a union between a man and a woman as the case may be. But there are circumstances where a marriage between a woman and a woman is permissible.

In a situation where a woman has no son or no child, if the husband dies, it is culturally allowed for her to marry a wife. And in this case, she becomes the husband. Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice. She pays her dowry and fulfills other traditional rites as it is done when a man is marrying a woman.

After that, the woman brings her “wife” home and they start living together as “husband” and “wife”. Nobody frowns at it. To have children -both the “woman- husband” and “woman- wife”- will agree to allow a man from the same village or neighbouring town to sleep with the wife.

And the children born by the wife bears the family name of the woman- husband, not that of the man responsible for the pregnancy. I want to add here that the man who sleeps with such wife in most cases are married men. And normally it is regarded as immoral, in fact it is a taboo for a married man to sleep with or “father” children from another woman. But in this case an act normally taken to be immoral is allowed.

This is a situation where people are permitted to break taboos and deviate from traditions. This marriage practice pre- dates Christianity and the so- called western culture which most people today blame for all the moral and cultural wrongs in Africa. The same gender marriage is still practised till date. In other words, there are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.

There are some homes where woman- husbands are living happily with their woman- wives. Though there are not many of such families or marriages. Such unconventional marriages and families are in the minority. The fact is that they exist. The fact is that they are part of the local tradition and culture. They are not imports from the West. And this has in no way undermined social cohesion, public order and morality or family values.

Some people have tried to argue that this is not really a case of gender marriage because a man comes in to impregnate the wife. But, traditionally, it is the case and it is known as such. It is a case where a woman marries a woman.

The man who impregnates the wife does not come into the picture at all. He has no family responsibility. His duty is only to supply sperm. The family is responsible for the woman- husband and wife.Some say that same gender unions destroy family values and undermine the upbringing of children.

It should be emphasised that children in this case are brought up in an environment where both “parents” are females. And they grow up to be normal children. Some say because child bearing is involved, then it is not same gender marriage. But my response is this: whether for procreation or for pleasure, it is same gender marriage. And it is the couples, not the state that decides whether to marry for procreation and or for pleasure or for any other purpose they deem fit.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians think that same gender marriage is antithetical to procreation. It is not. In fact same gender unions as in this case enrich family values. There have been instances where a partner in a same gender relationship wants children, and goes ahead to have them.

Because of the secrecy, privacy and hypocrisy that go with sexual expression, no one can really say, if these female partners have or do not have sex with each other. But like all couples they live together and run their families. But today, things are changing.

Individuals are becoming more open, more assertive and expressive with their sexual and marriage choices, desires, orientations and identities. The sexual and marriage dynamics are changing rapidly. And Africans must make the necessary social, cultural and legal adjustments in response to- and to accommodate- these changes.

Igwe is the executive secretary of the Nigerian Humanist Movement.

1 Like

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by presido1: 1:23pm On Jun 20, 2009
In this case both women are not lesbians. So itz very very diff from two ladies going into marriage cuz of their chosen sexual orientation. This kinda marriage is not for sexual pleasure(lesbos) rather to keep the family lineage going.

After that, the woman brings her “wife” home and they start living together as “husband” and “wife”. Nobody frowns at it. To have children -both the “woman- husband” and “woman- wife”- will agree to allow a man from the same village or neighbouring town to sleep with the wife.
If they live as "husband and wife" whatz the essence of agreeing for another man to come between them? Do you see such in a lesbian marriage?.

11 Likes

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 20, 2009
This is just distortion of culture, Leo Igwe should be ashamed of himself.

The Woman-Husband takes the unlikely title of Husband just because she paid the woman-wife's brideprice.
The symbol of who your Husband is in Igbo land is he who paid your bride price.

Homosexuality is a taboo in Igbo culture.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by grafikdon: 2:39pm On Jun 20, 2009
If the Igwe guy wants to marry his homosexual lover, he should go ahead without boring us with his moonlight tales injected with a heavy dose of distorted concepts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by beystwin: 2:46pm On Jun 20, 2009
@ topic, this is a very intresting tradition.
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jun 20, 2009
grafikdon:

If the Igwe guy wants to marry his homosexual lover, he should go ahead without boring us with his moonlight tales injected with a heavy dose of distorted concepts.

This is the beauty of Igbo land, 'freedom of speech'

But you could not have said it better, if the guy has a homosexual lover he should go ahead and do it rather than distorting culture.
The basis of the woman marrying a a younger woman was for reproduction. Bear in mind this is mostly done in a case where the older woman will have dificulties bearing a child but want to have kids and  continue life in the family.

It is like having women bear a child for someone else through test-tube babies in mordern tradition.

4 Likes

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by sashbaby(f): 3:02pm On Jun 20, 2009
i have heard of this tradition but not as the writer puts it.please rephrase or do more reasearch before saying things that are not true

3 Likes

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by ono(m): 3:51pm On Jun 20, 2009
Nice replies - especially the one who wants the OP to marry his homo-lover and stop wasting our time.

2 Likes

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Beaf: 11:28pm On Jun 20, 2009
So you want to twist your culture? Go tell it to sean the "gala seller".
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by tck2000(m): 11:32pm On May 30, 2019
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by adadike(f): 1:25am On May 31, 2019
It is not a woman _ woman marriage. In such cases, the marriage is contracted on behalf of the dead husband or family head who needs a male child for the continuation of the family's linage. The marriage is contracted on behalf of a man and the new wife will have to bear the man's name not the woman. Leo Biko ko nke ima

2 Likes

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by JoannaSedley(f): 5:14am On May 31, 2019
The writer is s confirmed efulefu.
His distortion of facts makes it impossible to read all. Spits!!!

1 Like

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 7:09am On May 31, 2019
The writer is an Afonja masquerading as Igbo. What they do is they like Igbo tradition but out of envy they will distort it into something it isn't to rubbish it.

Everything in Igbo tradition and culture is in the bible. Igbo tradition is one of the best...strategic and proactive. The success of the Igbo people is rooted deeply in their tradition. Take away Igbo tradition, Igbo Race will fall.

If you understand Igbo tradition, you have understand the universe and everything in it. The secret of life and the universe is hidden in Igbo tradition...Omenani(Laws of the Land aka Ten Commandments of God) and Odinani ( The Science of the Universe). I know you are wondering, how did Igbos know all these? Becauae Igbos are one of only few surving ancient people on this planet.

Watch this video and thank me later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76-ykSTGOE&t=1s

1 Like

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by RemiTinubu(f): 7:19am On May 31, 2019
adadike:
It is not a woman _ woman marriage. In such cases, the marriage is contracted on behalf of the dead husband or family head who needs a male child for the continuation of the family's linage. The marriage is contracted on behalf of a man and the new wife will have to bear the man's name not the woman. Leo Biko ko nke ima
chaii mmimi kiss kiss
i just dreamt of you today kiss
please can we mingle kiss

1 Like

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by wordcat(m): 7:27am On May 31, 2019
JoannaSedley:
The writer is s confirmed efulefu.
His distortion of facts makes it impossible to read all. Spits!!!

His own type of efulefu is greater than that of Joe Yorubaigbokwe.

One question for him; Can a single lady marry another single lady in Igbo culture or can a man for whatever reason marry another man in Igbo culture?

I'm neither against homosexual nor in support of it, what two adults do in their closest with their private parts is non of my business but distortion of fact is no no no for me.

1 Like

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by tsdarkside(m): 7:45am On May 31, 2019
your proposal is doa to igbo people today....

they are too busy to care about such things....
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 7:50am On May 31, 2019
wordcat:

His own type of efulefu is greater than that of Joe Yorubaigbokwe.

One question for him; Can a single lady marry another single lady in Igbo culture or can a man for whatever reason marry another man in Igbo culture?

I'm neither against homosexual nor in support of it, what two adults do in their closest with their private parts is non of my business but distortion of fact is no no no for me.

I can confirm that a woman can marry another woman in Igbo land, (similar to what Sarah did to Hagar for Abraham) if the woman is barren or doesn't have a male child for the husband.

2 Likes

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by wordcat(m): 7:57am On May 31, 2019
OkaNaUbe:

I can confirm that a woman can marry another woman in Igbo land, (similar to what Sarah did to Hagar for Abraham) if the woman is barren or doesn't have a male child for the husband.
z

Nobody is denying that but my question is;

IS IT PERMITTED IN IGBO CULTURE FOR A SINGLE LADY TO MARRY ANOTHER SINGLE? LADY ?
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 8:01am On May 31, 2019
wordcat:
z

Nobody is denying that but my question is;

IS IT PERMITTED IN IGBO CULTURE FOR A SINGLE LADY TO MARRY ANOTHER SINGLE? LADY ?

Boy, stop shouting (capital letters shows you are).

Does the OP say "single ladies can marry other single ladies"

The original writer shot himself in the foot when he is advocating for same sex marriage but gave an example of a married woman marrying another just to bear children for her husband (The only way it is accepted in Igbo land).
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by ChristianNorth: 8:11am On May 31, 2019
Stupid distortion. In Igbo land, a barren woman is allowed to marry a new wife for his husband and the children becomes hers.

A woman is not allowed to marry another when the husband dies without having a heir. If this happens, the brother of the deceased husband is required by tradition to marry his deceased brother's window and produce heir for him.

These practices are also obtained in ancient Hebrew societies.

1 Like

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by wordcat(m): 8:12am On May 31, 2019
OkaNaUbe:

Ancestor, you need eyeglasses (capital letter is for you to see it very well).

The op is trying to prove that homosexual/lesbianism is part of Igbo culture with his distortion of fact which prompted my question.
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 8:15am On May 31, 2019
presido1:
In this case both women are not lesbians. So itz very very diff from two ladies going into marriage cuz of their chosen sexual orientation. This kinda marriage is not for sexual pleasure(lesbos) rather to keep the family lineage going.

If they live as "husband and wife" whatz the essence of agreeing for another man to come between them? Do you see such in a lesbian marriage?.
The m0rons are looking for any excuse to defend lesbian mumu behavior.

Cc lzaa sarrki adaibeku husbandsnatcha amatarasha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by orisa37: 8:28am On May 31, 2019
walata44:
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/19/610.html

By Leo Igwe
Friday, June 19, 2009
One of the contentious issues in the debate over homosexuality and same sex marriage is whether a marriage between persons of the same gender is totally alien to African culture and tradition. Those opposing same sex marriage have continued to argue that same gender union is foreign to Africa. On the contrary, I have tried to draw their attention to the fact that there is a strain of the same gender marriage in African tradition particularly in Igboland.

And that we should not rush to deny this, or pretend it does not exist or just sweep it under the carpet in the quest to establish that same gender marriage is alien to the African continent, and must be banned.

I hail from Mbaise in Imo State in Southern Nigeria. Traditionally, in my community, marriage is taken to be a union between a man and a woman as the case may be. But there are circumstances where a marriage between a woman and a woman is permissible.

In a situation where a woman has no son or no child, if the husband dies, it is culturally allowed for her to marry a wife. And in this case, she becomes the husband. Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice. She pays her dowry and fulfills other traditional rites as it is done when a man is marrying a woman.

And the children born by the wife bears the family name of the woman- husband, not that of the man responsible for the pregnancy. I want to add here that the man who sleeps with such wife in most cases are married men. And normally it is regarded as immoral, in fact it is a taboo for a married man to sleep with or “father” children from another woman. But in this case an act normally taken to be immoral is allowed.

This is a situation where people are permitted to break taboos and deviate from traditions. This marriage practice pre- dates Christianity and the so- called western culture which most people today blame for all the moral and cultural wrongs in Africa. The same gender marriage is still practised till date. In other words, there are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.

There are some homes where woman- husbands are living happily with their woman- wives. Though there are not many of such families or marriages. Such unconventional marriages and families are in the minority. The fact is that they exist. The fact is that they are part of the local tradition and culture. They are not imports from the West. And this has in no way undermined social cohesion, public order and morality or family values.

Some people have tried to argue that this is not really a case of gender marriage because a man comes in to impregnate the wife. But, traditionally, it is the case and it is known as such. It is a case where a woman marries a woman.

The man who impregnates the wife does not come into the picture at all. He has no family responsibility. His duty is only to supply sperm. The family is responsible for the woman- husband and wife.Some say that same gender unions destroy family values and undermine the upbringing of children.

It should be emphasised that children in this case are brought up in an environment where both “parents” are females. And they grow up to be normal children. Some say because child bearing is involved, then it is not same gender marriage. But my response is this: whether for procreation or for pleasure, it is same gender marriage. And it is the couples, not the state that decides whether to marry for procreation and or for pleasure or for any other purpose they deem fit.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians think that same gender marriage is antithetical to procreation. It is not. In fact same gender unions as in this case enrich family values. There have been instances where a partner in a same gender relationship wants children, and goes ahead to have them.

Because of the secrecy, privacy and hypocrisy that go with sexual expression, no one can really say, if these female partners have or do not have sex with each other. But like all couples they live together and run their families. But today, things are changing.

Individuals are becoming more open, more assertive and expressive with their sexual and marriage choices, desires, orientations and identities. The sexual and marriage dynamics are changing rapidly. And Africans must make the necessary social, cultural and legal adjustments in response to- and to accommodate- these changes.

Igwe is the executive secretary of the Nigerian Humanist Movement.

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by orisa37: 8:32am On May 31, 2019
Sin is Breach of Agreement, Contract or Covenant of God.
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 8:34am On May 31, 2019
wordcat:

Ancestor, you need eyeglasses (capital letter is for you to see it very well).

The op is trying to prove that homosexual/lesbianism is part of Igbo culture with his distortion of fact which prompted my question.

Read my full post again. You quoted some.
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by tsdarkside(m): 8:42am On May 31, 2019
OkaNaUbe:

The original writer shot himself in the foot when he is advocating for same sex marriage but gave an example of a married woman marrying another just to bear children for her husband (The only way it is accepted in Igbo land).

don mind am....its not hard to see through such people....

igbos maybe stubborn,but i dont see no way they will dabble around homosexual stuff....

some may do it privatly,but i dont think majority of igbos would torelate it....
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by wordcat(m): 8:46am On May 31, 2019
OkaNaUbe:

Read my full post again. You quoted some.

Read my first post you quoted
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by adadike(f): 9:01am On May 31, 2019
RemiTinubu:
chaii mmimi kiss kiss
i just dreamt of you today kiss
please can we mingle kiss
nwokem, jide amu gi aka grin

1 Like

Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by funkeolam: 9:49am On May 31, 2019
wey///
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by Casptainspecial: 9:53am On May 31, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by funkeolam: 9:58am On May 31, 2019
same?
Re: Bombshell : Tradition Of Same Gender Marriage In Igbo Culture. by AceRoot(m): 10:24am On May 31, 2019
adadike:

mulier pulchra intelligentes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abia State Governor (T.A Orji) Finally Joins A P G A / North Has No Link With Terrorists - Arewa / Ebonyi House Of Assembly Impeach Speaker Nwankwo: Justified?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.