Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria (19879 Views)

Disturbing Pictures Of Underage Boys Trained By Boko Haram / Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. / Dokubo - Underage Marriage Our Right As Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Emmysteve(m): 7:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
The former Zamfara State Governor and current Senator, Sani Yerima, whose marriage to a 13-year-old girl drew widespread outrage in 2009, literally pressed the Senate to reverse a vote that appeared to outlaw underage marriage, almost marring a crucial constitution amendment vote Tuesday.

Mr. Yerima contested and won the reversal despite a Senate policy barring repeat votes on clauses, arguing that an earlier decision was un-Islamic and biased.

The contentious provision, Section 29, allows citizens who are of age to renounce Nigerian citizenship if they wish. For that purpose, the constitution says, 18-year-olds and above shall be considered to be “of age”.

In addition, a woman or girl who is married, shall also be considered to be of age-a section that could be interpreted to imply that even a day old child, once married, shall be considered to be of age.

The Senate’s amendment committee had proposed that definition be deleted.

At first voting Tuesday, Senators overwhelmingly backed the recommendation that it be removed, leaving the prospect of final passage if accepted by the House of Representatives and Houses of Assembly.

But late into vote of dozens of clauses, while other Senators intermittently contested matters such as health, single election term and the separation of the offices of the Minister of Justice from the Attorney General, Mr. Yerima questioned why the section dealing with age of a married woman was deleted, describing the move as un-Islamic.

He demanded a revisit, a call that was turned down by Senate president, David Mark.

Mr. Mark ruled that as a member of the constitution review committee, Mr. Yerima had every opportunity to have sought a review and was against the chamber’s rule in seeking an amendment while the votes were on.

Mr. Yerima, backed by Danjuma Goje, former Gombe State Governor and current Senator, insisted that under Islamic tenet, a woman is of age once married and countering that order as already stated in the constitution would be discriminatory and in violation of another section of the constitution directing the National Assembly to steer away from Islamic marriage.

“The constitution says the National Assembly shall legislate on marriage except those under Islamic rites,” said the former governor whose marriage to the teenager triggered months of controversy. “Islam says once a woman is married, she is of age.”

Mr. Mark however conceded to a second vote after other proposed amendments had been concluded, saying he had to act due to the “sensitivity” of the matter as it concerns religion.

Still, Mr. Yerima’s demand was again thrashed 60 to 35 at a repeat vote but the section could not be deleted as constitution amendments require two thirds of the entire members-73 for the Senate- for a proposal to pass.

Separately, the Senate delivered a voting that appeared markedly different from its debate last week.

While the lawmakers overwhelmingly voted against a single term of six years as they earlier demonstrated during debates, they rejected autonomy for the local governments, surprising predictions of an easy win for the third tier of government.

Only 59 members-less than the required 73- voted for a direct funding to the local governments. As it stands, such funds can only be routed through the state governments, long accused of abusing such rights.

The Senate also approved pension for its leadership despite criticisms from members last week.

Again, while Senators approved independent funding for the office of the nation’s Auditor General, they rejected a similar plan for the Attorney General, an office proposed under the amendments to be separated from the Minister of Justice.

Lawmakers also turned down a proposal to remove the word “Force” from the Nigeria Police Force, rejected the creation of the office of a Mayor for Abuja and somewhat unpredictably, removed Labour from the constitution’s exclusive list.

The removal implies that the federal government will no longer decide on a uniform National Minimum Wage. That decision will be open to the states.

The approvals are not yet laws, as they have to be adopted by the House of Representatives, and at least 24 state Houses of Assembly.

The House began its debates Tuesday ahead of voting later in the week.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/141117-constitution-ammendment-yerima-makes-senate-back-underage-marriage-as-lawmakers-oppose-local-government-autonomy.html
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by dasparrow: 8:40pm On Jul 16, 2013
@Post

Shame on Yerima! What a sick man.

5 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 16, 2013
Shameful..... Even a day old can be considered of age if "married"? #cringes in fear#. That means one religion encourages child abuse.

15 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Tolexander: 10:13pm On Jul 16, 2013
Oga o!
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 16, 2013
Yerima is a paedophile.

32 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Maxymilliano(m): 10:34pm On Jul 16, 2013
Shameless cradle robber ...

5 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by mike404(m): 11:19pm On Jul 16, 2013
OPERATION ISLAMIZE NAIJA : embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by mensdept: 11:23pm On Jul 16, 2013
So as other senators were discussing things that matter, the stupid pervert was insisting that children be forced to marry and forget about school abi?

If he wants a Muslim state, then let him declare Zamfara independent. No one will contest hi,

11 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Chylo(m): 2:01am On Jul 17, 2013
GEJ is responsible for dis. Smh
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 17, 2013
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by IleIfe2(m): 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2013
Anything we say now doesn't matter, the islamic paedophile and his 35 cohorts had their way. Sharia law rained supreme over the constitution. this should be a cause for concern.

9 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by princesammmy: 1:39pm On Jul 17, 2013
na dem sabi
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
I somehow knew this thread wont make the front page. Mukina, and other mods, i hail.
#edited#
Okkk, Mukina proved me wrong. Alright oh!
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by IGBOSON1: 5:22pm On Jul 17, 2013
I really don't know how that dirty old man can caste his wandering, lascivious beady eyes over a 13 year old child and be drooling with se/xual anticipation!?

He's disgusting, and he makes me want to puke just looking at him make a case for child-sex, backed by what he reckons are the teachings of islam!

10 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by ebamma3: 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2013
.Na lord lugard i blame for this nonsense, without him joining us with his kind we no for see dis rubbish

12 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by 50calibre(m): 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2013
See the kind of people governing Nigeria.

Nigeria is doomed

3 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 17, 2013
What a silly paedophile! Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by MrAladin: 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
he did not marry his 13year old wife in egypt because it is against der constitution...

1 Like

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:
I really don't know how that dirty old man can caste his wandering, lascivious beady eyes over a 13 year old child and be drooling with se/xual anticipation!?

He's disgusting, and he makes me want to puke just looking at him make a case for child-sex, backed by what he reckons are the teachings of islam!
You have said it all.

I weep for my country, just 'effing sad.

1 Like

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Standing5(m): 7:21pm On Jul 17, 2013
He is actually telling them indirectly that "The thingy sweet oh" . . . knowing fully well that OATT is busy with our Oyel paroles.
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 17, 2013
Abeegi, How dis take affect D price of Garri ??
Abi Garrium price don Reduce ni
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by damola57: 7:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
selfish sick old man.
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
make dm implemnt am....make i muve comot my pa hax

1 Like

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by chaloner(m): 7:24pm On Jul 17, 2013
All I know is there is at extend we will beg this hausa pple to allow us to leave in peace or else we kill them all.............#quoted by anonymous
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:25pm On Jul 17, 2013
Fuckin aboki... That's one of the peace in islam!!!

7 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by fishkaveli(m): 7:26pm On Jul 17, 2013
4 ur mind mr man.
I no dey pay ear,
If u wan charge see nokia.
Dis man is drunk.
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Deiok(m): 7:27pm On Jul 17, 2013
what a mess, pouring out shìt out of his mouth. so thats the only reasonable thing he think can promote nigeria. Animal like him, malu malu.

1 Like

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by flowingstream: 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
dat a gud move
Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by 3ace(m): 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2013
Nonsense! No be dis knucklehead dem talk say him fit wan do VP for GEJ during the next election? I don't know when next I will go out and vote with 100% assurance that my candidate will deliver. All these parties are just churning out candidates that lack credibility. All these Northern candidates have brains filled with how to establish sharia law into the system.

2 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by sylve11: 7:29pm On Jul 17, 2013
lol, guess tight pussiiis r always sweet. grin cool

1 Like

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by jhydebaba(m): 7:30pm On Jul 17, 2013
hmmmmnnn! Why is every bad thing associated with his-ram

15 Likes

Re: Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria by Linoversace: 7:30pm On Jul 17, 2013
Some people no get shame at all...smh! sad

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2015 Election Debate/Town Hall Meeting, APC Not Represented! / Jonathan ‘ll Deploy Soldiers For Elections – Fayose / Atiku Hails US Senator, Media Over Stance On Nigeria’s Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.