Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,505 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:47 AM

N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note (1961 Views)

"Why Igbo Man Can Never Be Nigeria’s President" – Junaid Mohammed / Prof Osibanjo Might Be In A Few Days Be Nigeria President / Fayose Distributes Rice And N200 After Eating N100 Buka Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 22, 2016
Several CBN governors, from Mr Joseph Sanusi in the early 2000s to the current governor, Godwin Emefiele, have at some point advocated for a "cashless" economy. Of course, these CBN chiefs know that there is no economy in the world that is totally cashless.

The "cashless economy" mantra is only a message to Nigerians to use less cash and more checks or e-payment means in daily transactions.

To further the aims of the "cashless economy" project, the CBN and the Mint could withdraw the N500 and/or N1000 note from circulation. The resultant burden of carrying N1 million in denominations of N200 or lower may discourage the massive movement of cash by individuals.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Candyrain(m): 1:08pm On Jan 22, 2016
I concur

1 Like

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
With little or no use of the coins, the Mint and CBN can as well do away with them. Nigerian would then be the only country in the world without coins.

1 Like

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by excellencyabia1: 1:21pm On Jan 22, 2016
Good if it could be achieved. At least this market women will be reduced the stress of change giving

3 Likes

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 22, 2016
excellencyabia1:
Good if it could be achieved. At least this market women will be reduced the stress of change giving
Very true. Buying a N50 item with a N1000 note may not be a good idea if change no dey grin

1 Like

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by tsdarkside(m): 2:14pm On Jan 22, 2016
CFCman:
With little or no use of the coins, the Mint and CBN can as well do away with them. Nigerian would then be the only country in the world without coins.

its dangerous...money must be backed by something or else the naira will become useless...withdraw the coins and instead issue silver-coins..this will balance the naira...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by DaBullIT(m): 4:18pm On Jan 22, 2016
Which means inflation will be reduced as well

3 Likes

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by vedaxcool(m): 4:35pm On Jan 22, 2016
Endorsed. Those dirty thieves who hide raw cash would be forced to bring it out.

1 Like

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 22, 2016
nice idea

3 Likes

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 22, 2016
DaBullIT:
Which means inflation will be reduced as well
Well, that could be a possible good side effect of the policy. But proponents of the current denomination structure would say that Nigeria has had periods of single-digit inflation with the N1000 note in circulation.
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 22, 2016
This would be a great move...
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Okanokan(m): 12:06am On Jan 23, 2016
That's one of the ways we can manage the Recession.
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
Okanokan:
That's one of the ways we can manage the Recession.
Well, I don't see a correlation between denomination and health of the economy. Although money supply, exchange rate, availability of credit could all be contributory factors to a recession.
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 25, 2016
Xsolutions:
This would be a great move...
I believe so

2 Likes

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by grandstar(m): 12:34am On Jan 26, 2016
CFCman:
Several CBN governors, from Mr Joseph Sanusi in the early 2000s to the current governor, Godwin Emefiele, have at some point advocated for a "cashless" economy. Of course, these CBN chiefs know that there is no economy in the world that is totally cashless.

The "cashless economy" mantra is only a message to Nigerians to use less cash and more checks or e-payment means in daily transactions.

To further the aims of the "cashless economy" project, the CBN and the Mint could withdraw the N500 and/or N1000 note from circulation. The resultant burden of carrying N1 million in denominations of N200 or lower may discourage the massive movement of cash by individuals.

The cashless policy is to discourage the movements of large amounts of cash. It is not meant to stop paper transactions. I am not in full support of it because lots of busineses are deprndent on large volumes of cash.

For instance you want to go to the bush to buy minerals, its strictly cashbased most of the time.
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 1:32am On Jan 26, 2016
grandstar:

The cashless policy is to discourage the movements of large amounts of cash. It is not meant to stop paper transactions. I am not in full support of it because lots of busineses are deprndent on large volumes of cash.

For instance you want to go to the bush to buy minerals, its strictly cashbased most of the time.
I know it won't stop paper transactions, and is designed to reduce the volume of cash transactions in the economy. Of course, some businesses would still be cash-only businesses.

1 Like

Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by beejaygree(m): 3:16am On Jan 26, 2016
It will be a great way to enforce Nigerians to adopt cashless policy, however, I see unlearned market women suffering from this.
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 6:35am On Jan 26, 2016
beejaygree:
It will be a great way to enforce Nigerians to adopt cashless policy, however, I see unlearned market women suffering from this.
The cashless policy is mainly aimed at reducing the volume of cash transactions in the formal economy, as is the case in many developed and developing economies. The bole, suya and roasted corn sellers would still transact business via cash, just as the road-side hot-dog seller in the US receives only cash payments.
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by BALLOSKI: 7:50am On Jan 26, 2016
If it will increase the value of naira , I concur.
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 27, 2016
BALLOSKI:
If it will increase the value of naira , I concur.
cool
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2016
I would have suggested the N100 note as the highest, but that would be extreme grin
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 29, 2016
Japan's highest denomination is the ¥10,000
Re: N200 Can Be Nigeria's Highest Bank Note by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
But can it make N100 = $1?

(1) (Reply)

See How A Top Politician In The South South Went To Campaign Today... What A Sha / River Rerun: Police Officers Beheaded, 5 Others Missing - Newtelegraphonline / Praise Sango: The People Are Awakening. There Is No Jesus Christ.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.