Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? (22696 Views)

"How My Husband Left Me One Month After Marriage" - Nigerian Lady Cries Out / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by 4C2215131: 11:04am On Jan 24, 2016
Elxandre:

I agree 100%!

The question is daft!

However, no one knows everything. smiley

Classic contradiction in terms if there ever was one!
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by adsonstone: 11:05am On Jan 24, 2016
I'm of the opinion that it doesn't change however, the woman may use her husband's state of origin when she needs to.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by doveda: 11:05am On Jan 24, 2016
HungerBAD:
The Husband's.

When you get married,every thing changes to your husbands.

But,some people use their State of Origin for things that might be beneficial to them i.e Jobs and Contracts.

Especially if those things are Zoned to her Original State of Origin.

I don't know how they do it now,but when we did JAMB to get into the University.

Those from the North were given admissions with low Marks,so a woman who is a Northerner but married elsewhere,can use her State for the Admission purpose.

There are some people on your case sad

I hope you get cured in whatever you worship's name sad

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by 4C2215131: 11:07am On Jan 24, 2016
Ishilove:

I don't know why you are bothering to reply. Some people are childish and they don't think deeply enough, hence they wave the multi-coloured banner of their ignorance with unrepentant pride.

Your question is a very valid one and anyone who says it is daft need to reevaluate their education

Hear ye! Hear ye!!

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by doveda: 11:07am On Jan 24, 2016
Ioannes:

lol. how can you fill in "Mrs" with your maiden name when you didn't marry your dad. instead opt for a compound name if you are emotionally attached to your maiden name. i.e, your maiden name followed by a hyphen and then your husband's name.

too much wahala if you ask me.

Why should you be using Mrs sefundecided
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by tpiar: 11:09am On Jan 24, 2016
prissyluv:
Some of these things are confusing ooo. I dont see this topic as daft at all. We dont really know it all.
Another that confuse me is this. If a married woman hasn't change her name legally and applying for a job or filling an important form where there are provisions of title,surname and names.is she to fill in 'mrs' as title while filling the rest with her former names?

why would you use Mrs With your maiden name?
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by lamy4u: 11:09am On Jan 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

alright Sir. cheesy
Endeavour to drive your points home constructively. Obviously there are people here who feel it should change to the husband's. The aim of this thread is to educate us all properly, but no...some people here think they are smart and every other person with wrong view(s) is a daft being.
Don't mind cute Hector
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by maxti: 11:14am On Jan 24, 2016
HungerBAD:
The Husband's.

When you get married,every thing changes to your husbands.

But,some people use their State of Origin for things that might be beneficial to them i.e Jobs and Contracts.

Especially if those things are Zoned to her Original State of Origin.

I don't know how they do it now,but when we did JAMB to get into the University.

Those from the North were given admissions with low Marks,so a woman who is a Northerner but married elsewhere,can use her State for the Admission purpose.

Exactly the way it is.
Ur husband will even get you an LGA identification certificate to this effect.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by tpiar: 11:16am On Jan 24, 2016
are you folks referring to people like mercy aigbe, mercy johnson, etc, who can respectively claim Osun state and Edo state by virtue of their marriage to indigenes of these states?

just want some clarification here.

lara oshiomole, etc.

Omotola, Edo state instead of Lagos?
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Ojugunrege(f): 11:20am On Jan 24, 2016
It is state of ORIGIN not state of husband! as in, where did you originate from? cool
One's state of origin can never change even after marriage. cool

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Ojugunrege(f): 11:24am On Jan 24, 2016
Godmother:

As far as I know the only things that change after marriage are your last name and your place of abode. Your state of origin remains what it was before you got married.

Thank you ma'am. God bless you. I actually wonder how one's ORIGIN will suddenly change after marriage? How? it is state of ORIGIN!

In my home, I am the only one from Ekiti while my husband and the kids are from Kwara..QED!

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Ojugunrege(f): 11:27am On Jan 24, 2016
Seun:
Here's a more serious question: what's a woman's birthday and gender after marriage? A wife should adopt her husband's birthday and gender.

O su mi o cool.
thanks for that sarcastic twist grin....very apt.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Ojugunrege(f): 11:34am On Jan 24, 2016
Cutehector:
boss please tell dem grin

very funny op. I was like, wat kind of topic is this.

my dear, it is not funny at all o...a lot of women are actually making that mistake and even argue in favour of it. u go tire.

I always do my own to educate them.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by theshaderoom: 11:45am On Jan 24, 2016
Ojugunrege:

O su mi o cool.
thanks for that sarcastic twist grin....very apt.
UjSizzle:

Ahh this is good. This is really good grin grin

See all if them fanzing seun. If nah another person talk am now una go attack am. Stop riding Seun's coatail and state your own opinion jare!
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by expozey(f): 11:47am On Jan 24, 2016
Seun:
Here's a more serious question: what's a woman's birthday and gender after marriage? A wife should adopt her husband's birthday and gender.

Abi o. Funny but just to show how a woman seems to no longer have an identity after marriage.
This is not to the OP - I know he asked an honest question.
Just a general remark.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Mintayo(m): 11:48am On Jan 24, 2016
What's the world turning women into? Change the state of origin to kini? Hian. lipsrsealed
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by tpiar: 11:49am On Jan 24, 2016
I wonder why folks like getting themselves into tight situations of their own making.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Elxandre(m): 11:52am On Jan 24, 2016
maxti:

Exactly the way it is.
Ur husband will even get you an LGA identification certificate to this effect.

You mean you begin to [b]originate[/] from another town/LGA because you got married?

On a serious note this issue can only be raised in a third world country, where the literacy rate is questionable.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by aameyah(f): 12:17pm On Jan 24, 2016
You people saying state of origin changes are so funny. Do you even know what origin means?

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Ojugunrege(f): 12:20pm On Jan 24, 2016
theshaderoom:

See all if them fanzing seun. If nah another person talk am now una go attack am. Stop riding Seun's coatail and state your own opinion jare!

Hello there....I'll rather you do not quote me if u av nothing noble to say! I'm a respectable lady in my late thirties and I have my reservations for derogatory remarks online or in person.

my 4 posts on this thread btwn 1120 and 1134am shows clearly my opinion and mentions of 3 people whose opinions i share! what has that got to do with 'fanzing' Seun undecided

pls ehn, kindly keep to your lane.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by stonecoldcafe: 12:44pm On Jan 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

alright Sir. cheesy
Endeavour to drive your points home constructively. Obviously there are people here who feel it should change to the husband's. The aim of this thread is to educate us all properly, but no...some people here think they are smart and every other person with wrong view(s) is a daft being.

Stop trying to fight all opposing views and make yourself appear bright. You sound rather daft... Same for your work colleagues who set you on this path and made you open such a dull and laughable thread!
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Generalkorex(m): 12:53pm On Jan 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
[i]This argument has been on between my colleagues and I, some of us insist a woman maintains her maiden state of origin (officially) after marriage, others say she changes to her marital state of origin .

To the Mrs in the house, which state of origin do you put on official forms (e.g) bank documents, travelling, sim registration...etc.?
yes I think a woman should change her state of Orijin to 1.
Cos I think Orijin is 5% acholic. Married women should nt take more than 1 orijin
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Bolade005: 1:05pm On Jan 24, 2016
tpiar:

why did I know somebody will always mention Ondo here?
How is that an issue?
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Ayauche(f): 1:06pm On Jan 24, 2016
Cutehector:
Mrs intellectuality.. your topic is daft! And I will say it again and again and again.

Don't u understand what origin means? Your root? Your father's state. Jeez. I see no reason why very obvious things like these shoud cause a debate.

My dear the topic isn't daft at all cos it has actually cause arguement too at my place of work tho I maintained that the only thing that should change is ur surname and where u live. State of origin is where u originated 4rm but if u choose ur hubby's then that one is state of origin by marriage.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by josite: 1:10pm On Jan 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
[i]This argument has been on between my colleagues and I, some of us insist a woman maintains her maiden state of origin (officially) after marriage, others say she changes to her marital state of origin .

To the Mrs in the house, which state of origin do you put on official forms (e.g) bank documents, travelling, sim registration...etc.?

NO LAW REQUIRES U ,upon marriage to change your state of origin cus most women will have to remarry and u cant continue to have as many state of origins as you change husbands.with the kind of men out now,wise women better prepares to change husbands to avoid premature death.

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Sweetlemon(f): 1:17pm On Jan 24, 2016
Just like the name implies State of "origin".
Origin means roots. That a woman is now married does not mean that she looses her roots. Yes she can claim her husband's state and the benefits that come from the state, but she still has her own roots.

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Sweetlemon(f): 1:23pm On Jan 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

lols.
Truetalk at sanity. I almost ran mad yesterday trying to defend my own stand, they kept putting it to me that I am from Imo, I refused. _ that I am only Imo by marriage.
At a point I began to doubt my own stand sef, I decided to throw the question to the house, not because I am daft or consider those who reason that way daft. I just wanted to be sure I am not the one making a mistake. You have said it all @ they should all do what suits them, I guess that's what I will start telling them.

Please what company is that?
Very daft set of colleagues.
Those are the kinds of people that do not know what a maiden name is.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 1:30pm On Jan 24, 2016
Ayauche:

My dear the topic isn't daft at all cos it has actually cause arguement too at my place of work tho I maintained that the only thing that should change is ur surname and where u live. State of origin is where u originated 4rm but if u choose ur hubby's then that one is state of origin by marriage.
good, u even have your answer in ur comment.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Seventeen(f): 1:34pm On Jan 24, 2016
Ur state of origin does not change. The emphasis origin means where u actually originated from irrespective of move, marriage, etc. Thats why it says origin. The question "whats ur state of origin?" is similar to asking "whats your maiden name?" just as it is expected that ur maiden name is ur name before getting married, anyone or any form asking for ur state of origin expects the state where u are originally from b4 marriage.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by 9jaBloke: 1:34pm On Jan 24, 2016
repogirl:
I maintained mine.

I really don't see how because I am married, I now automatically originate from my husbands state. Abi did my father disown me when I married my husband?

Abi o.
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by rad8(m): 1:41pm On Jan 24, 2016
State of origin is thrash...to me ooo, state of origin should be where ever you were born (at least that's ur origin on earth). Anyway, back to d matter, she should retain her origin. Mrs so-so-so is okay to signify marriage. All the other adopted characteristics are over sabi. So an igbo woman who married an osun man should now claim osun state as state of origin? Or oyibo woman who married naija owerri man should now adopt owerri as state of origin?
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 24, 2016
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww wat is dis? grin grin my state of orijin is 10 bottles cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Tips For Overcoming Shyness On World Introvert Day / What Were The Silliest Things You Believed As A Child? / Day-Old Baby Found Dead At Refuse Dump In Port Harcourt (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.