Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,940 members, 7,821,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Tell Us About Your Favourite Book - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Tell Us About Your Favourite Book (20942 Views)

The 48 Laws Of Power- Which Of The Laws Is Your Favourite? / Get Updates About Your Favourite Missing Writer / Tell Us About The Best Stories You've Ever Read On NL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Silumi(f): 10:37pm On May 08, 2016
SilvanusII:

nope. I meant the ones written by Francine about Mary, Ruth, Esther...or I may be mixing them up
Lol dear u re that is linage of grace redeeming love is like hosea story in the bible
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by makaveli902: 10:42pm On May 08, 2016
AwesomeDuru:
The Harry Potter Series does it for me anytime. I cannot even count how many times I've read that book..
One of the best books the world will ever know

YEAH! You can say that again.
I have just completed my seventh HOCRUX so am feeling like LORD VOLDEMORTE HIMSELF now.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by nameo: 10:51pm On May 08, 2016
Gmajor:

seriously ?
I bet you read only the first book in the series. I've read 9 out of 12 and i must say that the books are dry. The first one was good but after that the series went downhil

Do you have the soft copies? I need them plzzzzzzz plzzzzzzz..
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Meklex(m): 10:52pm On May 08, 2016
Romance series:
Spring fancy by ****(forgotten) romance don't make me tick and the only reason I remembered spring fancy was that I could still remember how ridiculous I thought the book was and it was my last romance novel and that was almost 10 years ago.

Mafian series:
I am having a hard time choosing between the godfather by Mario puzo and the dead city by Shane Stevens... Well for real mafian shit I give it to shane stevens.

Mystery and thriller series:sometime I would have said it's James Hadley Chase but then I got to know about Jeffrey archer, Sidney sheldon, Dan Brown etc. And I give it to Dan Brown's Langdon series.

Chick Lit series :
Haven't read much books in this series but THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA any day any time.

Fantasy series:
One word. Brandon Sanderson! From stormlight to mistborn to the reckoners etc etc etc.

Sad novels: I don't usually cry but I did when I read the fault in our stars by John Greene.

Motivational series: Mastery by the same person that wrote 48 laws of power.

African series: I have read many African novels from The stool, to the black hermit to we need new names etc etc etc but none have told a vivid story more than The purple hibiscus by Chimamanda, I enjoyed Americana too.

Religious books:
Watchtower... From the jehova witness people who disturbs me every sunday... I must confess those pamphlets are very insightful, our daily manner is also good.

Social series:
I read body language and lips, remaining the mind.

What I don't read.
TEXTBOOKS
User manuals

Currently reading... The unhewn throne...I must confess epic Fantasy is the new worth it!!!

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Limibanti(m): 11:13pm On May 08, 2016
Please can any nairalander assist with a website to download free e-books.... Thanks in advance
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by YOLO1(m): 12:19am On May 09, 2016
Ogboju Ode ninu Igbo irunmale
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 12:57am On May 09, 2016
moski5:
This book blew me away so much so that I've read it thrice in two years orca yr n half
its A Song of Ice n Fire

Guys do recommend books for me tnx

@Op I suggest yu create a WhatsApp grp wer buk lovers/readers can exchange ebooks
a song of ice and fire is the name of the series, there are five books under it, are you trying to say that you've read the series and you move it or you've read the first book( a game of thrones) and you love it?
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by spacyzuma(m): 3:47pm On May 09, 2016
I can't pick any favorite book. I've read more than 100 novels that I can remember.

My favorite books of all time are

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein
The Human Zoo - Desmond Morris
Why you act the way you do - Tim LaHaye
2010: Odyssey Two - Arthur C. Clarke
The Sicilian - Mario Puzo
Old Man's War - John Scalzi
The Ghost Brigades - John Scalzi
Sapiens: A brief history of mankind
Schultz - J.P Donleavy
Along came a Spider - James Patterson
The Earth Book of Stormgate - Poul Anderson
The skies like dust - Isaac Asimov

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Ranchhoddas: 4:48pm On May 09, 2016
Adaobi12:
yea, lost symbol, Angels and demons , Da vinci code, am reading the inferno now.
Say hi to Sienna Brooks
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 09, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Say hi to Sienna Brooks
And prof langdon
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by IKON360(m): 9:45pm On May 09, 2016
My favorite male Author is Khaled Hosseini, I've read all his books from Kite Runner to A thousand Splendid Suns nd his latest book And The Mountains Echoed that came out in 2013. I love this Afghanistan man...
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by addempsea(m): 10:28pm On May 09, 2016
it has to be 'The curious incident of the dog in the night-time' by Mark Haddon.

Its a story of boy who has no understanding of human emotions quest to investigate the suspicious death of a neighborhood dog.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by cyspecial: 8:23am On May 10, 2016
sauceEEP:
The concubine by Elechi Amadi
A man of the people by wole soyinka
The concubine by Elechi Amadi really got me those days. Still feel sorry for her (the concubine)
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by moski5(m): 2:26pm On May 10, 2016
lordseb:

a song of ice and fire is the name of the series, there are five books under it, are you trying to say that you've read the series and you move it or you've read the first book( a game of thrones) and you love it?

I watched seasons 1-3 first then got d books(5 in 1)
After d book (I guess I was in d middle of d series) I began to dislike d series cos dey swayed too far from the book
The book is just mind Blowing

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Ayomipoe(m): 9:47am On May 11, 2016
What about Blackass - Igoni Barrett
missyQween:

King Solomon mines.... So interesting but I couldn't finish it tho

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:11pm On May 11, 2016
Oh dear . Sorry MrsPhyno ... I saw this late . I dont actually read books mostly extracts , excerpts though its a habit I want to cultivate .

So I'm currently reading Working with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Vivly(f): 4:13pm On May 11, 2016
IKON360:
My favorite male Author is Khaled Hosseini, I've read all his books from Kite Runner to A thousand Splendid Suns nd his latest book And The Mountains Echoed that came out in 2013. I love this Afghanistan man...
Currently reading Kite runner. Why do I get this feeling Hassan dies? If he goes, I go.
P.S. No spoilers please .
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nkemjika913(m): 5:06pm On May 11, 2016
Drefan:
The Sword Of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind

That man is a genius.
bro,can you help me with the series? Do you have it?
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nkemjika913(m): 5:09pm On May 11, 2016
Abbeyunique2:

I've read everything from wizard first rule to warheart. i've even read the pre richard era titled "debt of bone".
my top 3 wizard quotes are
1) rule 1: the best form of magic is a trick. human being are gulible, anybody can believe anything. people would chose believe a lie simply becos they wanted it to be true or they are afraid it might be true.
2) 2nd wizard rule the greatest harm can be caused from best intention.
3) 8th rule: deserve victory: people overwork themselve always looking for the next battle without celebrating the present winning.

my favorite characters are in this order:
zeddicus zul zorrander
cara
kaylan amnel
richard cypher
emperor jagang, i like vilian too
sir,how did you get the series? Can you help me out? I have read wizard's first rule and faith of the fallen..how can I get the rest?

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by IKON360(m): 9:30pm On May 11, 2016
Vivly:

Currently reading Kite runner. Why do I get this feeling Hassan dies? If he goes, I go.
P.S. No spoilers please .
U will love the book, after that read, And The Mountains Echoed, it should be on goodreads.com
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 11, 2016
moski5:

I watched seasons 1-3 first then got d books(5 in 1)
After d book (I guess I was in d middle of d series) I began to dislike d series cos dey swayed too far from the book
The book is just mind Blowing
well, I've been reading the book(but not yet completed it) and I'm watching the series at the same time so that i can easily spot areas where they contradict each other, besides that I've read its other book; the world of ice and fire: a history of nwesteros and the game of thrones. Dope book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by armadeo(m): 4:29pm On May 14, 2016
Abbeyunique2:

I read mario puzo's godfather in 15hrs {over 500pages). so i can relate

dude i read in in less than 12hrs. non stop.

jeez. i got it from one greedy person like that who told me first thing in the morning hes coming to collect it.
was still in school then. i just made my meal and bought candles wit lots of cold water. didnt sleep a wink.

i loved it.

now i have bought the book myself twice and have soft copies. lol
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by armadeo(m): 4:34pm On May 14, 2016
lordseb:

it's still a lie, from my calculation you spent 1.8 minutes per page ( that is if you didn't rest but just read without eating or doing any other thing except your 2 hours sleep), guys do you think it's possible?

dude i did it in about 12hrs or so. overnight. started like 6pm and was done before 7a.m.

you have no idea what is meant by the term voracious readers. my friend also repeated that feat the next night.

its is possible, i know cos i did it.

ps i also ate in between while still glued to the book.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by armadeo(m): 9:01pm On May 14, 2016
Decker:
I love reading crime and mystery books, so my favorite definitely has to be from this genre.
I would have chosen any of the Partricia Cornwell series as my favorite, probably "All that remains" or "Postmortem", or even "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. Or Stephen king's Shining. These are excellent books. But I'll go for And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. It's in my opinion the best mystery novel ever written. I was hooked till the very end. I love suspense in books and that book served me an overdose of suspense.

Let me give a brief synopsis of the book.
Eight men arrive on an Island, and each of them claimed to have been invited by Mr and Mrs Owen to stay in their house as guests. But when they all reach the house, they are only welcomed by the housekeeper and cook.

Later on the guests would get to understand that U.N Owen, the host who had supposedly invited them, when pronounced as one word, sounds like the word; UNKNOWN, meaning U.N Owen doesn't even exist. But was just an Allusion. Lol. Creepy right? cheesy
The creepiness doesn't end there. A copy of a nursery rhyme was found framed and hanged on the walls of the rooms of each guest and 10 figurines sat on the dining table.

Then suddenly, the guests and staff start dying one by one, and in mysterious fashion. And when someone dies, one of the figurines get broken. shocked
And the poem hanged on the walls of the rooms, was a reflection, as well as a prediction of the deaths that occurred. shocked

But the big question was; Who was behind the killings? because everything was systematically orchestrated and brilliantly executed, and I think this is where one just has to stop and admire the imaginative brilliance of Agatha Christie.

you made me read this book. it is awesome.

I was blown away by the killer. wow
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by armadeo(m): 9:15pm On May 14, 2016
llaykorn:

Three good ones.

is it that you like hard copies or what? you cam download almost any book you want online.

the only books i am yet to see online is the blackbird chronicles by freda warrington.

if you love hard copies then i get it.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Spongia1(m): 11:16pm On May 14, 2016
Hello, house. i am also a book freak, but i lost most of my e-books when my system crashed. i wouldnt mind anyone sending me the harry potter series and the lord of the rings trilogy. my e-mail address is kadiriademola@gmail.com. My favourite book of all time has to be ROOTS by Alex Haley. #magical
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 11:47pm On May 14, 2016
armadeo:

you made me read this book. it is awesome.

I was blown away by the killer. wow

I am glad you did. Agatha Christie is such an intelligent writer.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by rahman3853(m): 11:47pm On May 14, 2016
angels and demons by dan brown. al abt catholic church n iluminati. chamberlain killing d pope, n 5 cardinals 2 prove iluminati xist n 2 show is power saving d vatican frm a kind of atomic bomb n wanting 2 bkome d first chamberlain 2 bkome pope.ironicaly d pope he killd was his fada. a good read i cnt 4get easily. much ambigrams, robert langdon a great character, learned in history n adept in decyper tins easily, also shows sum secret abt catholic institution bt cnt realy tel its autencity.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 11:49pm On May 14, 2016
theshaderoom:

i spot a Kay Scarpetta fan, i just finished "Blowfly" its quite more interesting than Postmortem. i dont like Patricia's books, i read them when ive exhausted my reading options

Yep. You got that totally right. I am a big fan of hers.

I have read Blowfly. It's quite interesting, and intense, but I still prefer Postmortem.

Why don't you like her books?
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by theshaderoom: 4:16pm On May 15, 2016
Decker:

Yep. You got that totally right. I am a big fan of hers.

I have read Blowfly. It's quite interesting, and intense, but I still prefer Postmortem.

Why don't you like her books?

All those autopsy descriptions are too gory for me and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Am a Mary Higgins Clark fan. I prefer u tell me someone was murdered and leave it at that not describing the maggot and stench of the corpse or atmosphere

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What's The Worst Grammatical Error You Have Ever Heard / Deleted Post / The Gods Are Hungry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.