Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Why Do We Get Married ? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do We Get Married ? (935 Views)

THIS Is The Best Age To Get Married (according To Science) / Is Dating Someone For 1 Year Too Soon To Get Married? / Why Do You Want To Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Get Married ? by amosexy: 1:08am On Jul 01, 2009
Written by : Emmarex Okhakhu

"Are you married? If not, why not?" -The Rules-

"Not getting married remains yet another non-offensive, non-act that women have to spend their whole lives justifying." -Victoria Dutchman-Smith-

Though my critical theological mindset sometimes criticizes and tend to jigsaw around the seeming fundamentalism that characterizes Femi Awodele's intellectual and oftentimes meaningful didactics on the Christian life, I also tend to respect his efforts at publishing these series, especially the ones he titles Home Improvement Series. However, my reflection on these series and the rational question of why we get married refuses to be abated by whatever I read, watch on television, or experience in the clinical marriage therapy world. The point is not to adjudge or argue the biblical principles on marriage but to sincerely ask the rational question:

Why do we get married?

Tyler Perry has theatrically brought this comical and singular question almost to our doorsteps via television, making each viewer truly question the rationale for marriage, particularly if such a person is unhappy with their choice of a spouse. However, this digest goes deeper than Perry's moviedom to examine the true motivations that push us to believe that life is worthless without marriage. Several sub-questions then arise:

1) Are human beings naturally engineered to be married? 
2)Are married couples truly happier than unwed but committed couples?
3) Is the adult truly unfilled without marriage?
4) Doesn't official marriage seem to cause more chaos than anyone needs?
5)Why bother getting married?
6)Is it not better to have everything but the rings? 

Comically, we are a generation of legal contracts: work contracts, internet contracts, cable contracts, cell phone contracts; and when these contracts are about to expire we shop for better deals. Marriage is also a contract, though we would add, a lifelong contract riffed with arguments, stress, fights, misunderstandings, deceits, unforgiveness, accusations, mood swings, heart-breaks, and betrayal amidst momentary satisfaction and happiness. It is becoming clearer that marriage bears a less relationship to having children. By 2026, The Australian Bureau of Statistics project that couples without children will be the commonest type of family in Australia, a 44% of all families. In the same token, married couples are not really happier than the unwed committed. Though marriage is meant to be forever, people can already live together without being married, so why is it necessary? What rational reasons push us to marriage? Why do we get married?
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by rhufffryda(m): 3:19pm On Jul 15, 2009
we get married so we can always have that azz anytime we want it. Hell yeah.  grin grin
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by kokoA(m): 3:38pm On Jul 15, 2009
To give our parents grand children maybe undecided
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by biola44: 3:42pm On Jul 15, 2009
it was written!
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by topsy25(m): 10:53am On Jul 16, 2009
To prevent cold at night
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by Ben13: 11:05am On Jul 16, 2009
just to be like our fathers.
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by Memunah(f): 11:40am On Jul 16, 2009
i have always wondered abt dis too,ask a friend recently and he said for procreation,to kill loneliness,for companionship,but sincerely are these enuf reasons to get married?
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by tosyne007(m): 12:45pm On Jul 16, 2009
i will say we get married in order to fulfiill God's commandment and not to break the trend.

Remember? he asked us to go into the world and replenish and reproduce.

How do we do that if we dont tie the knots?

think abt it. smiley
Re: Why Do We Get Married ? by peelovee(f): 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2009
tosyne007:

i will say we get married in order to fulfiill God's commandment and not to break the trend.

which says: a man/woman shal live his father,mother, and cleve join unto his wife/husband and they shall be one flesh.

To flee away from lust of the flesh
To repleanish the earth
for honour( as the bible says marriage is honourable)

grin abeg the Y of marrige too plenty grin grin

(1) (Reply)

High Blood Pressure (bp) Can Compromise Your Love Life / Am Confused Who To Marry / I Need Ur Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.