Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (84008 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by biafranbaby(m): 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
The nigerian versions are better than their oyibo equivalents.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by legendte(m): 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
Tell Buhari
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Caspian22(m): 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by twilliamx(m): 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
Also the word Trafficate does not exist. the right thing to say is indicate...naija tins

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by sexymoma(f): 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
Lolz
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by igraman(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
tjfulloption:
I was OPPORTUNED to be a 30 minutes boss over our driver when We were driving home from the bank where our boss sent us on errand to deposit some Moines in his bank account. Go- slow slow I said to him as I spot this beautiful lady walking by. I'm on my way to a friend's WAKE-KEEPING of her late dad she replied when asked where she was going. As a fast guy I brought out my blackberry porch SCREENTOUCH PHONE I bought on INSTALMENTALLY term from a friend to collect her mobile number. SHARP-SHARP we drop her at the venue as I told her I will give her a call. Bros! You are very CUNNY O, you are claiming to be the car over abi? I go tell Oga. the driver JOKENLY tells me. This babe ASWEAR na me go DISVIRGIN HER.
meaningless !

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by ictmikky(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
Funny but true
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Kayendy(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
Cunny is pidgin not english as in "Cunny man die Cunny man bury am".. check warri dictionary.. tank me later

3 Likes

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by alchemist(m): 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
Beyonce created the word bootilicious and it was added to the dictionary. I dont see anything wrong with Nigeria creating our own words rather lets push them forward to be included in the dictionary atleast, if not all the words.

You hia

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Godswillnwaoma(m): 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
You forgot to add MOTORABLE that is the road is motorable meaning that the road is in good condition.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by tosyne2much(m): 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
Very insightful

OP, you forgot to add kitty-cat cheesy

But wait oooo ! How come we don't speak these kind of gibberish here in Ekiti? cheesy
cool
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by twilliamx(m): 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
Sparkle777:
Another word we use dat simply dnt exist is PLUMPY. It should just be PLUMP.

Also the word Trafficate does not exist. the right thing to say is indicate...naija tins

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by GlitzG: 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2016
Thanks for the info.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Missmossy(f): 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2016
Lol cheesy so true.

Here in Naija you can hear anything

4 Likes

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by thunder74(m): 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2016
Retainsership

2 Likes

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Koolking(m): 2:30pm On Feb 05, 2016
Every day, new words and meaning are minted into vocabulary. We could as well incorporated all these words with meaning into dictionary. If you look at those words critically, they are apt to its meaning.

Go Slow: Vehicle and human traffic are slowed down in traffic bottleneck.

Dis-virgin: From the word 'Virgin'. If you are not a virgin, of course you have been disvirgined. If you are not a man, you are a woman.

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Bolic(m): 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
Honestly1:
Which rat would u kill first? Please be sincere........ You have just come back from work to see 6 rats • The 1st rat was eating your highest academic certificate maybe a degree Certificate. • The 2nd rat was eating your ATM card. • The 3rd rat was eating your Marriage Certificate. • The 4th rat was eating your land and house ownership documents. • The 5th rat was eating your Visa to travel for a multi-Billion dollar project. • The 6th rat was eating your Bible. Which one would you kill first?

tight corner nai you put me so oooooo.......!!!!! haba those rats must be very wicked, na only precious things them see to chew on?
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by sanandreas(m): 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
gotten is not also in the dictionary
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by geraldhumphrey(m): 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
over sabi don kill dis op
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by akanniade10(m): 2:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
tjfulloption:
I was OPPORTUNED to be a 30 minutes boss over our driver when We were driving home from the bank where our boss sent us on errand to deposit some Moines in his bank account. Go- slow slow I said to him as I spot this beautiful lady walking by. I'm on my way to a friend's WAKE-KEEPING of her late dad she replied when asked where she was going. As a fast guy I brought out my blackberry porch SCREENTOUCH PHONE I bought on INSTALMENTALLY term from a friend to collect her mobile number. SHARP-SHARP we drop her at the venue as I told her I will give her a call. Bros! You are very CUNNY O, you are claiming to be the car over abi? I go tell Oga. the driver JOKENLY tells me. This babe ASWEAR na me go DISVIRGIN HER.

Senseless
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by niggi4life(m): 2:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
Who cares? undecided

The essence of effective communication is to be understood, in as much as the other party can understand you, then you are good to go!

By the way, some words are used in Naija vocabulary that only God knows where it exists from..
You hear words like
Abi
Shebi
Abegi
Comot
Ehen!

No wonder we are unique beings grin
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by sammysammy111(m): 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2016
recently i heard some children speaking "clap her" instead of d normal " clap for her" dat i no, i asked someone and d person confirms it dat its true, so oga pls is dat d new way of saying " clap for her?
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Melkizedek(m): 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2016
op my dictionary has the word 'disvirgin' in it..so? maybe you need to update your vocabulary. a few years ago there were no words like 'vuvuzela' 'chillax' in the dictionary, but there are now.

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by YelloweWest: 2:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
tjfulloption:
You'll make a good writer

2 Likes

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by zayyadoski(m): 2:38pm On Feb 05, 2016
Lol..... Dis flowered words
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Rockyrascal(m): 2:38pm On Feb 05, 2016
mrlaw93:
This topic will neva cease to make frontpage on nairaland. smh

modified: This words not in the dictionary doesn't mean they are not correct. If oyinbo man add DISVIRGIN to oxford dictionary tomorrow. OP will never argue.
you deserve a medal.

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by olaskul(m): 2:38pm On Feb 05, 2016
I was OPPORTUNED to attend the WAKE-KEEPING of a CUNNY that bought a SCREENTOUCH PHONE for his daughter that I DISVIRGIN tho there was GO-SLOW on my way there to collect my money which he had promise to be paying INSTALMETALLY. GBAM undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by kushsy: 2:40pm On Feb 05, 2016
TheMascot:
Who says they don't?. . because the whites don't use it Abi.. we can't change it.. Let them add it to the dictionary.. If you are support say I.. Against.. The lagoon is open
Gbam.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by danibobo: 2:40pm On Feb 05, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Disvirgin should be added to dictionary. I mean mainstream dictionaries like oxford or Webster.

Though, not only Nigerians use disvirgin. it's even in some online dictionary.

It sounds more meaningful than disflowered .. Which flower she carry wey you dey dis .. Mtchewww

I totally agree with u Disvirgin makes more meaning than disflower. Abi flower dey there wey dem dey Dis-flower.. Disvigin is what I wud keep on saying self explanatory! Shikena
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by jackima: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2016
It is a joke. It is n0ot possible. Wake up.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by tolexy007(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2016
papa still yet
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by SoftHeart(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2016
@Brighteye, "...which don't exist" or "...which doesn't exist"? please, I'm a learner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Maduafokwa Agnes Egoagwuagwu 365 JAMB Score: Highest In 2020 / UNILORIN Postgraduate Admissions (2015/2016) / List Of Part Time Courses (yabatech)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.