Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari (28173 Views)

"I Stand With Buhari" Rally Holds In Awka, Anambra Despite IPOB Threats (Pics) / Presidency Reacts To Brouhaha Over Telegraph Interview-pilot Newspaper / Ministerial List: What Buhari Did That Shocked Tinubu, Osinbajo – New Telegraph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Iroh88(m): 8:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
OgbeifunErom:

So that is the reason why IPOB Youths are angry

Because he made reference to Drug smugglers
Matter of fact, one should take this discovery to twitter and cc Omojuwa. grin

All along, it was the "drug trafficking" he mentioned that got those folks agitated. cheesy
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by wristbangle: 8:44pm On Feb 08, 2016
klassic:

Did you do literature in school? If yes, guess you didn't pay attention to your literal devices or diction. If you did, you should be able to translate the lines wherein PMB mentioned that a high % of Nigerians are all over foreign prisons. Yes he might have been telling the honest truth, but as a president, your duty is to sell the image of your country positively to the outside world. E. G china, Iran and Saudi Arabia despite their human right infringement back home, will never sell their countries image negatively, neither would South Africa with high records of drugs and violent crimes do same. Eastern Europe and Asia has the highest population of child prostitution, human trafficking and forced labour in the world. . Have you heard their president come our to openly sell their countries image negatively? The answer is no. Finally, Japan has one of the highest rate of organised mafia crime syndicate in the world same with Russia. Is there negative publicity from their president? Nope. America is number one when it comes to organised cyber crimes in the world, is there negative publicity from Obama? Nope. So you see where our president is missing it. If as a father, I go outside and tell the entire world that my children are criminals, the simple implication is that I failed in my duty as a father moreover no body will wanna associate or do business with my children not even the honest and hardworking ones. PMB is the father of Nigeria. Just think and have common sense. He should learn to apply diplomacy. I rise.

I did not ask for your comment dim nitwit. So kindly swerve from my lane.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by paschu: 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
abbey621:

Since when has asylum become a thing to be proud of? Show me any president in the world that supports his people filing for asylum in another country? The president killed two birds with one stone, he pointed out the obvious that some Nigerians have made it difficult for those claiming asylum abroad. Next he offered words of unity for Nigerians to return home and help rebuild. Perhaps it's time to learn how to comprehend instead of just reading!

You arecthe one that obviously has issues with comprehension, otherwise you would not have missed the so obvious point.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by paschu: 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
abbey621:

Since when has asylum become a thing to be proud of? Show me any president in the world that supports his people filing for asylum in another country? The president killed two birds with one stone, he pointed out the obvious that some Nigerians have made it difficult for those claiming asylum abroad. Next he offered words of unity for Nigerians to return home and help rebuild. Perhaps it's time to learn how to comprehend instead of just reading!

You are the one that obviously has issues with comprehension, otherwise you would not have missed the so obvious point.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by hrpvl: 8:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
ozoigbondu:
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari, last week, gave an exclusive interview to the Chief foreign correspondent of Daily Telegraph, Colin Freeman. Here is the full record of his remarks as published by the paper.

Are you willing to talk to Boko Haram about the missing Chibok schoolgirls?

As long as we can establish the bona fides of the leadership of Boko Haram, we are prepared as a government to discuss with them how to get the girls back. But we have not established any evidence of a credible leadership.

Is Abubakr Shekau still the leader of Boko Haram?

I receive conflicting information about the status of Shekau. Some say he has been removed and replaced by a less charismatic terrorist leader.
I think he must be on the run, because out of the 14 local government districts that Boko Haram used to call their caliphate, they now do not control any now. They are scattered around the Sambisa forest and they have resorted to attacking soft targets, people in churches, mosques and market places, and using improvised explosive devices.

Are you seeking any further help from the West in the fight against Boko Haram?

I was invited by the G7 during my visit to Europe to brief them on the issue of security, Boko Haram, and I did so. I subsequently sent Nigeria’s ‘shopping list’ in terms of the infrastructure destroyed. That is schools, medical facilities and other institutions, bridges blown up, and the estimates of repair.

Did you also ask for Western military help?

Yes, I did, but I don’t want to give any details of that in public at present. As you know, we already have foreign military help in terms of training missions.

And are you asking for additional military help beyond training missions?
I am not asking for any of that yet. I want to be briefed first on the situation from the Nigerian military and also the police.

The previous government used mercenaries from South Africa in the fight against Boko Haram, with some success. Would you consider doing the same?

I personally was very disappointed that the previous government resorted to mercenaries. I was also disappointed by the recent revelations of how military allocations were also misappropriated. How is it that Nigeria’s military, which has a good record across west Africa, cannot claim back 14 out of 774 local governments from Boko Haram? They have to ask for mercenaries from South Africa? How the mighty has fallen!”

What is your feeling on the wider terror threats across west and north Africa at the moment, with terrorism attacks taking place in Mali and Burkina Faso?

I think we should be very worried because with technology, Boko Haram and other terrorists have become very mobile in all continents, not only in Africa but also in Europe, America and Asia.

For Africa and the Sahel, the demise of Gaddafi’s regime led to a lot of armed and trained people, especially those from the Sahel, being dispersed. Fighting is the only thing they know, and they are available at a fee. The danger is there, and I am pleased that Europe has realised it too.

There have been reports that Nigerians have been fighting for Isil in the Libyan city of Sirte. Is that true?

I haven’t seen confirmed reports about that, but I know that it is not only in Sirte – there are also Nigerians finding their way to Syria too. I don’t know which side, but they may be fighing for Isil. How many, I have no idea.

Have you ever had reports of people from the Nigerian diaspora in the UK being involved in Boko Haram in any way?

No, but if I do, I will immediately raise the issue.

A number of Nigerians use the migrant routes to come to the UK to claim asylum, saying their lives are at risk from Boko Haram. Is is legitimate for them to do so?

Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking. I don’t think Nigerians have anybody to blame. They can remain at home. Their services are required to rebuild the country. If their countrymen misbehaved, the best thing for them is to stay at home and encourage the credibility of the nation.

Do you think that Nigerians have an image problem abroad?

Certainly. But we are on our way to salvage that. We will encourage our countrymen to stay at home, work hard and make a respectable living at home.

Your government has launched a major corruption probe over claims that billions of dollars of oil cash went missing during the previous administration. Some suspects have been arrested in the UK. Are you satisfied with the co-operation you are getting from the UK authorities?

One of the biggest suspects is in Britain now, although I am not going to name that person. But Britain has earned our respect in the way it deals with these matters. Our only problem is that it seems to be too thorough and it takes too much time. If there are obvious cases, like bank accounts, infrastructure houses and hotels, I would hope they could do it quicker, so that we can claim these things back promptly

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/full-telegraph-interview-with-buhari/

lol......... there are jobs in dubai, see our signature
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by eleko1: 8:55pm On Feb 08, 2016
Ipodians reason/think upside down..Go school? Mbah! Everything nah business in those immigrants eyes.
wristbangle:

The conclusion to this whole mess is that the bad bellied people are not happy with the emergence of PMB as president of the nation and their embittered minds has becloud their sense of reasoning to coerce unnecessary, slandering and hatred statements towards him.

If it were GEJ that have made this telegraph interview and optimistic people are condemning him to have tagged Nigerians as criminals, I will not support their claims.

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by leksbore(m): 8:57pm On Feb 08, 2016
I hate this administration and APC ...make 4yrs complete and do a new vote.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 08, 2016
klassic:

Did you do literature in school? If yes, guess you didn't pay attention to your literal devices or diction. If you did, you should be able to translate the lines wherein PMB mentioned that a high % of Nigerians are all over foreign prisons. Yes he might have been telling the honest truth, but as a president, your duty is to sell the image of your country positively to the outside world. E. G china, Iran and Saudi Arabia despite their human right infringement back home, will never sell their countries image negatively, neither would South Africa with high records of drugs and violent crimes do same. Eastern Europe and Asia has the highest population of child prostitution, human trafficking and forced labour in the world. . Have you heard their president come our to openly sell their countries image negatively? The answer is no. Finally, Japan has one of the highest rate of organised mafia crime syndicate in the world same with Russia. Is there negative publicity from their president? Nope. America is number one when it comes to organised cyber crimes in the world, is there negative publicity from Obama? Nope. So you see where our president is missing it. If as a father, I go outside and tell the entire world that my children are criminals, the simple implication is that I failed in my duty as a father moreover no body will wanna associate or do business with my children not even the honest and hardworking ones. PMB is the father of Nigeria. Just think and have common sense. He should learn to apply diplomacy. I rise.

U obviously are sitting on a long thing so needed to rise. Sometimes leadership needs to be truthful as for some, only bitter truth would wake them them up.
Asking Buhari to paint Nigeria glowingly is like trying to gather spilt milk or like trying to convince a man with magnifying lens that your white shirt is clean while swimming in the gutter.
The whole world already has the statistics of how bad Nigerians can be in certain areas and how good we are in other areas. Its like when you travel to brazil on vacation and are returning... ol boy all manner of drug searches and tests will be done on u because they are known for that.
Buhari has said the naked truth and if you don't like it go and become a citizen of vietnam.

3 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Konpresor012(m): 9:04pm On Feb 08, 2016
TippyTop:
After going through the entire interview you wonder how this illiterate got himself to power.

You're a stack illiterate just like Ben Bruce, I bet you didn't read the thread, d*nkey

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Abagworo(m): 9:06pm On Feb 08, 2016
I love Buhari. We now have a real man as President.

3 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Konpresor012(m): 9:07pm On Feb 08, 2016
Iroh88:
Matter of fact, one should take this discovery to twitter and cc Omojuwa. grin

All along, it was the "drug trafficking" he mentioned that got those folks agitated. cheesy

Thumbs up joor, these people eh, I no know where they kept their brains

2 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by arresa: 9:11pm On Feb 08, 2016
wristbangle:

I did not ask for your comment dim nitwit. So kindly swerve from my lane.

NL is a public forum where people exchange views and ideas, also where views get's challenged with with better facts and view points so don't get salty because your low grade argument was successfully decapitated.

Get over yourself and stop crying like a baby..

3 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by EmeritusMbaM: 9:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
arresa:

He's NL resident troll and internet nuisance.

Word of advise, never go back and forth with it, not worth it.

The troll is a disgrace to his family. Pathetic.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by byteHead(m): 9:33pm On Feb 08, 2016
magicminister:

[size=15pt]"Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking".[/size]

Looool... you sure say u go school??
If you did, biko did u graduate??

besides, the headlines or news caption would probably read

Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking- Buhari

anyone with a slight training in public speech would know this is a major gaffe!
you cannot be wooing foreign investors to a country you deride on several occasions!

Hey mr man stick to your asewo thread. This is politics section for intellectuals. There is a very low tolerance for immaturity and ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by tunene66: 9:35pm On Feb 08, 2016
Nigerians' reputation for crime has made them unwelcome in Britain, says country's president
Muhammadu Buhari tells Telegraph that too many Nigerians are in jail abroad - and that they shouldn't try to claim asylum

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari Photo: Paul Grover/The Telegraph
By Colin Freeman, Chief foreign correspondent7:44PM GMT 05 Feb 2016Follow Comments
Nigeria's president has warned his fellow citizens to stop trying to make asylum claims in Britain, saying that their reputation for criminality has made it hard for them to be "accepted" abroad.
Muhammadu Buhari, the tough ex-general elected last year, said those who had joined the migrant exodus to Europe were doing so purely for economic reasons rather than because they were in danger.
He added that because of the number of Nigerians imprisoned for law-breaking in Britain and elsewhere, they were also unlikely to get much sympathy.
• Telegraph interview with President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria - full Q&A
"Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but they have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking," he told The Telegraph.
"I don't think Nigerians have anybody to blame. They can remain at home, where their services are required to rebuild the country."
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by tinktanker: 9:36pm On Feb 08, 2016
OgbeifunErom:
Now we have the full interview and not the distorted version

I have read the entire interview and I have not seen any part where PMB referred to Nigerians as criminals

IPOB and their wailing associates are desperate because they can see that corruption is about to take a knock in our polity.

These IPObians are still mourning the loss of their jesus on earth, the ineffectual buffoon and drunkard from Otueke

I'm so proud of Buhari, the way he ignores the IPOB wailers is just excellent. That is what the animals deserve, afterall they are no longer relevant in Nigerian politics.

Any person that disagrees with what Baba said should go for a brain check up, you might be suffering from mental incapacity

Now the truth is out, the only reason why IPOB are angry is because Buhari referred to DRUG SMUGGLERS . Guilty Conscience is eating their soul up.

God bless Nigeria

God bless Buhari

Haters of Nigeria can go and die

Chai ur so tribalistic. I pity for ur kids
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by mryccee(m): 9:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
mr president are you telling me my friends who lost their lives in the north fighting boko haram where not fight but sleeping and was still killed in anyway,mr president who keep blaming the past govt, but the nigerian army have been fighting boko haram,good men lost thier lives,friends brothers husbands, so while you are ruling the country with your blame game, show some respect to the fallen hero #nigerianarmy because they have been the only fighters of boko haram, and for the record, the west training of our military personnels is not your doing, rather the past govt, pls i beg u, stop complaining and start working
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Geist(m): 9:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
Bluezy13:

His truth was partial. He committed the fallacy of hasty generalization
where in the world is "some " used in generalization? undecided
And you go school oh with certificate undecided
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by HirstMOG(m): 9:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
Where did PMB and his government get the mercenaries they are using to fight Boko haram now. Where is PMB even getting his statistics from? He said Boko haram have resulted to bombing churches, schools etc because they have been defeated technically. Can he tell us the number of churches and schools Boko haram have attacked since he assumed office? And also tell Nigerians the kind of weapons his administration have procured, the country that got them from, and how much they have spent so far on equipping the military?
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by wristbangle: 9:48pm On Feb 08, 2016
arresa:

NL is a public forum where people exchange views and ideas, also where views get's challenged with with better facts and view points so don't get salty because your low grade argument was successfully decapitated.

Get over yourself and stop crying like a baby..

Like seriously! U have made an intelligent comment in your eyes.

My friend, wrong analysis. Dont try to twist words to suit your biased conscience pls.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by arresa: 9:53pm On Feb 08, 2016
wristbangle:

Like seriously! U have made an intelligent comment in your eyes.

My friend, wrong analysis. Dont try to twist words to suit your biased conscience pls.

The fact that NL is a public forum where people exchange views and ideas, also where views get's challenged with with better facts and view points is a fact and not my biased opinion.

You either come up with better facts and argument of keep quiet and keep it moving..

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Nobody: 9:54pm On Feb 08, 2016
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by doctokwus: 9:55pm On Feb 08, 2016
byteHead:

Hey mr man stick to your asewo thread. This is politics section for intellectuals. There is a very low tolerance for immaturity and ignorance.
U know that magicmister,aka icebeatz very well.
Even his fellow thread mates in the ashewo section saw him for the liar and low lived,guy he is.For him to be called out by other ashewo forumites shows u how pathetic his life is.Infact it was bcoz of his being found out for the liar and fraudster he is that he changed his moniker.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by tunene66: 9:59pm On Feb 08, 2016
From my reading of the daily telegraph PMB never used the word criminal but it can be inferred from the way the paper headlined the interview

The lesson here PMB should talk more to Nigerians in Nigeria. Grant more interviews to Nigerian media.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 08, 2016
Bluezy13:

Was the white lady who attested that some Nigerians are not criminals, not telling the truth?

we're both still saying the same thing. the lady's comments approached this same issue of nigerian criminality from an opposite direction. she was just trying to be positive. positivity does have its limits though. the limits become obvious when people live in denial.

denial of a problem does not make it go away.
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Aremson14(m): 10:09pm On Feb 08, 2016
TippyTop:
After going through the entire interview you wonder how this illiterate got himself to power.

Do u even know who an illiterate is
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by arresa: 10:13pm On Feb 08, 2016
TippyTop:

Funny how illiterates who can not read and comprehend simple English words call other people illiterate.

Have you looked in the mirror lately?

2 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by mn09abk: 10:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
naijadeyhia:

If you cannot deduce that what he meant there was that a few bad eggs have given the rest a bad image abroad then I think you need to look for the nearest buffoon and quickly give away your brain... your body obviously does not need it as all u have up in your head is a resounding echo.
LWKMD LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by magicminister: 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2016
arresa:

There's obviously a huge difference between All Nigerians and Some Nigerians

With your inability and lack of any capacity to properly read and comprehend simple English words, you are definitely not in any position to question other people's level of education.

You really should be questioning your own lousy and shameful brand of education.

Investors invests based on their ability to make money especially in a huge market like Nigeria, not on your puerile worries, bogus and elementary sentiments.

Nigeria has a huge population but definitely not a huge market. What really determines potential is the income per capita which is fuccccking loww lol!
There are opportunities in Nigeria no doubt but not near as large as other 3rd world countries like ghana, jamaica and all.
Investors invest where they can make money right??

then what is the point of wooing them? if they believe they can make money from Nigeria, what is the point of travelling all over the world trying to win them over and at the same time, tagging your country corrupt in one instance, begging for bail out in another instance and tagging "some"Nigerians criminals. All in same breath....heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh!!!

thank me later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by lailo: 10:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
magicminister:

[size=15pt]"Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but then again some Nigerians have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking".[/size]

Looool... you sure say u go school??
If you did, biko did u graduate??

besides, the headlines or news caption would probably read

Nigerians in different prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking- Buhari

anyone with a slight training in public speech would know this is a major gaffe!
you cannot be wooing foreign investors to a country you deride on several occasions!
Yet no place in dat piece dat he called "NIGERIANS" criminals as d way d fish brain senator reported it.He just said "a" number of nigerians are "ACCUSED" of drug trafficking and co. Buhari is more calculating,mentally alert and intelligent dan ur ineffectual buffoon who said to d world in national TV "stealing is not corruption".What else can drive away investors than that? Wailers always defend what is not defendable.It is Ben Bruce dat goofed not our action president.

2 Likes

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by Geist(m): 10:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
paschu:

The fact that only one-tenth of Nigerian assylum seekers had managed to get assylum in the UK since the last 15 years did not capture your imagination. What happens now that the president has put his presidential signature to the entrenched image of mass criminality that's tagged on Nigeria?

What stops buhari from emphasizing the BIGGER fact that for every single criminal in nigeria there are a thousand hardworking and upright nigerians. How does any of his bunch of IMPULSIVE resposes in that interview (or his so called truth) help to advance our national interest? Do we even have any national interest or foreign policy that he knows of?

If the president is not clueless, why would he be calling for the return (and possible deportation) of Nigerians in diaspora at a time like this? Gosh. To what exactly does he want them to return? To a comatose economy or to states that borrow to pay their workers' backlashed salaries? How many of these Nigetians can he employ or create opportunities for, even if his administration gets reelected up till infinitum?

He had a global media opportunity, instead of using it to promote Nigeria, he thoughtlessly squandered it on his petty personal image, at the expense of Nigeria.

You are a Nigerian, PLEASE THINK MORE AND FEEL LESS.
So in your so educated mind, what PMB would have done is to sugar coat the facts by giving answers that in no way answers the question he was been asked and thereby encourage Britain to accept more Nigerians seeking asylum which will also inadvertently increase the number of Nigerians in British cells and worsen the image of the country rather than say the blunt truth which will keep Britain from granting asylum to more Nigerians thereby encourage Nigerians (both good and bad)to stay at home and hide the shame the bad ones would have caused our Nigeria and show case the pride the good ones would have brought to their host nation if they had been granted asylum? It does not in any way put any country or it's government in good light to even accept that a number of it's citizens are seeking asylum let alone sugar coating it.

1 Like

Re: ​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:16pm On Feb 08, 2016
doctokwus:
So where did PMB call nigerians criminals?
Some senators like Ben Murray Bruce are so pathetic that despite their positions,wealth and contacts,they are no better than members of "free newspaper readers association" at various newspaper stands who only read headlines and are ready to fight over issues,the details or context, they can't grasp because they can't afford to buy such newspapers to read d full details and get d truth.
There are also other Nigerians so blinded by their loss and bitter that they have ceded their ability to think to the hordes of still bitter souls,ethnic jingoists and sycophants of the recently bygone era.
It's a pity.

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Search Of Atiku’s Aircraft A Normal Routine Exercise In Airports - FG / Miyetti Allah: We Plan To Attend Amotekun Public Hearing On Monday / WTO DG: President Buhari’s Tactical Change And Egypt’s Ambush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.